Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Will be great if Valdes joins.

If he is joining, I've no doubt Rodgers will talk about how it's as competition for Mignolet. Similar to how how Mignolet was competition for Reina I'd imagine! :p

Valdes will be number 1 within weeks, and rightly so. Despite the protestations from those here who do not allow any criticism, Mignolet has overall been poor to average since joining (for big money). Rodgers obviously agrees if this move comes to pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Borini wanted £95,000-a-week, a severance package from #LFC & an exit clause from QPR allowing him to leave for less than £10 m. [Bascombe]

Dont know if thats new on this thread but its new to me
    95k a week is a bloody joke if its true

Can't blame the lad to be honest the crazy money being thrown around in football these he might as well try and get what he can wage wise.

Severance package is standard in every transfer where the player doesn't hand in a tranfer request.. Sure wasn't that part of the delay in some of our transfers in this summer with both Lallana & Lovren not putting in transfer requests.

Damm right if I was joining QPR I'd want an exit clause in my contract as well after seeing what happened them the last time they were in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

rob316 wrote: »
    Start of last season I would have had Valdes in the Top 10 goalkeepers in the world probably even Top 5, he would be a major upgrade on Mignolet and bring an unrivalled wealth of experience to the team.

Valdes is nowhere near top 5 or 10 now. There's a reason he is a free agent. It's amazing that now he is linked with Liverpool he is suddenly world class and one of the worlds best. I would struggle to put him top 5 in the premier league alone if he came as Hart, Courtois, Lloris Cech and De Gea are all better keepers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As he is a free and I doubt his wages will be mega the only question that needs asking is this - is he better than Jones (who gets a lot of uncalled for stick)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I've never rated Valdes very highly personally but on a free it's great competition to get in.

Personally I wouldn't say he'd go straight into the first team as I feel both keepers have positives/negatives that the other doesn't but it will definitely be a major improvement over Jones as competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Lads, Borini's dead right to ask for stupid money from QPR based on how much stupid money they've given to below average players like Shaun Wright Philips, for years

If they offered me 1k a week to join right now, I'd go back and ask for 10k - they're a joke....I'm unreal at ball to though so I'd properly value myself at 10k - but that's besides the point :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Never been a huge fan of Valdes not to mention I would be wary of a keeper coming to play in England when he's already 32 (and just off a serious injury). It's a lot different to playing in goal for Bacelona during their peak years.

As extra competition though I would have no problem with it but I don't see him as any kind of a major upgrade on Mignolet at this stage. More a good alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

D'Agger wrote: »
    Lads, Borini's dead right to ask for stupid money from QPR based on how much stupid money they've given to below average players like Shaun Wright Philips, for years

If they offered me 1k a week to join right now, I'd go back and ask for 10k - they're a joke....I'm unreal at ball to though so I'd properly value myself at 10k - but that's besides the point :pac:

Where's your YouTube compilation video? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

zarquon wrote: »
    Valdes is nowhere near top 5 or 10 now. There's a reason he is a free agent. It's amazing that now he is linked with Liverpool he is suddenly world class and one of the worlds best. I would struggle to put him top 5 in the premier league alone if he came as Hart, Courtois, Lloris Cech and De Gea are all better keepers.

The reason he's a free agent was because he refused to sign a contract.

He wanted to leave Barca. Barca wanted to keep him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

And he reason he hadn't been snapped up is because of his high wages. Only a handful of clubs can afford him and its not like anywhere else on the pitch...most clubs have one quality keeper. And most of the top clubs already have one.

It makes perfect sense tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Valdés is not as good as some of you think. He is nowhere near and has never been anywhere near a "top10". He has a lot of experience yes but overall he's an average enough keeper who played for Barca through the glory years. However it's still a good move for Liverpool as competition for Mignolet is needed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

As he is a free and I doubt his wages will be mega the only question that needs asking is this - is he better than Jones (who gets a lot of uncalled for stick)?

Being a free usually means a player in demand gets more wages not less as some of the transfer fee the club could have paid is given to the player on top of what would have been his wages if a transfer fee had been paid.

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Valdes is a level above Mignolet, he might not be top 5 in the world but he is still a level above Mignolet on all known form.

Be perfect for us for a couple of seasons when either a) Mignolet improves significantly or b) gives us ample time to bring in a long term replacment

Gbear wrote: »
    The reason he's a free agent was because he refused to sign a contract.

He wanted to leave Barca. Barca wanted to keep him.

Barca wanted to keep him as a backup keeper. They have a far superior first choice now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Just saw the PL squad with the players' full names. Rickie Lambert's middle name is Lee.

Rickie Lee Lambert.

How close did he come to becoming a country singer, I wonder? Or a famous assassin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

BenThere wrote: »
    Being a free usually means a player in demand gets more wages not less as some of the transfer fee the club could have paid is given to the player on top of what would have been his wages if a transfer fee had been paid.

Ben

Longest sentence ever. :pac:

I will be surprised if Liverpool offer a possible back up keeper big wages. Valdes is a good keeper but he isnt someone I would be loooking to offer 80k + a week to play for us and I am not convinced he will replace Mignolet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

joe123 wrote: »
    I am not convinced he will replace Mignolet.

You're in for a surprise.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

joe123 wrote: »
    Longest sentence ever. :pac:

I will be surprised if Liverpool offer a possible back up keeper big wages. Valdes is a good keeper but he isnt someone I would be loooking to offer 80k + a week to play for us and I am not convinced he will replace Mignolet.

You've obviously never read anything by David Foster Wallace.

From what I've seen of Valdes, quick feet, good shot stopper, great distribution, fairly vocal.
    Not sure what he is like on crosses.

But, he pretty much gone a year without football which is why his finess is being brought into question. But was still in the Spain squad.

So if he if still fit, I'd happily have him, one up on Mignolet would be fast distribution.....but, Mig is getting better in that area. Secondly, he is real comfortable with the ball at his feet and not afraid when being charged down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Which is why I said the start of the last season.

Hart? Give me a break he's lucky to be Manchester City no.1

rob316 wrote: »
    Which is why I said the start of the last season.

Hart? Give me a break he's lucky to be Manchester City no.1

Hart is sh1t but he's still better than Valdes. I'm sure Rogers would gladly take Hart to compete with Mignolet ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Insane Rambling

I think Valdes will be a super addition. Hate the fact that he gets put down by some because he didn't have to do as much at Barca because of the team that were playing in front of him.

His distribution, speed off the line and (most importantly IMO) his concentration when he was pretty much a spectator for 60/70 minutes to pull off those 1 / 2 important saves are what makes him a truly top class keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

To think that this time last year we thought that Pepe was on his way to Barca to replace Valdes and now its the other way round.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

Valdes would be a very good pick up for Liverpool, as he'd offer genuine competition for Mignolet, but he's always come across as very indecisive when it comes to dealing with crosses and corners kicks in a similar fashion to how Mignolet is with the ball at feet. I think given the requirements of how Liverpool play, a sweeper keeper is most certainly needed. Valdes is far better suited to be the starting goalkeeper once he proves his fitness. Mignolet is a very good shot stopper though, but I always felt he's a Europa League level keeper at best given how poor his distribution is.

Just an observation from lurking in this thread, but I've yet to see you comment positively on anything Liverpool related in attempt to belittle them in an over the top fashion. It makes fellow United supporters look bad.

And by the way, Hart is incredibly overrated. It is concerning people are still so caught up in the Sky hype over him. He's not even the best goalkeeper at Manchester City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Zarquon is a bit giddy after Utd's recent signings, to be expected I suppose, he may become insufferable if they actually win a game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Any idea how much a train from Manchester aiport to liverpool is?
    website showing 17 return, but I presume thats a web only.
    a bit hesitant to buy in advance in case the plane is delayed,

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

I hope I end up eating my words but I never really rated Valdes and couldn't fathom how Barca didn't replace him years ago.

I know Pepe wrote his "goodbye letter" a year go but if I were BR I would have kept him. He's always been better than Valdes and Migs both. Hopefully I'm wrong though and Valdes either pushes Migs to improve or takes his place and shows us what Barca saw in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Tompkins Times has this free to read at the moment - Chris Davies, Liverpool’s Head of Opposition Analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Never really rated Valdes, always though he was the weak link in the Barca team going back, always got the feeling he was prone to making silly mistakes as well.

But....he's coming on a free and if nothing else it might scare Mingolet into becoming a decent keeper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Valdes is a top keeper, would probably look a bit worse in the PL due to the physicality. I think De Gea has gone backwards this season in this regard and it's something that Courtois is fantastic at so really stands out but I think for the few negatives like that the positives to Mignolet would be huge for Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

I'm not a fan of Valdes, I thought some of the goals conceded by Barca in his last few years have been comical. Imo he is at the same level as Reina, and we needed an upgrade on Reina. Saying that it is a no lose situation if he signs. Either Mignolet improves with competition or Rodgers deems Valdes a better keeper. Either way we are not ****ting it if Mignolet gets injured and we see Brad Jones warming up. The squad at least is improved if he signs, I would not be convinced the first team is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Considering the transfer window is closed, and Valdes is available for just his wages. It's an absolute no-brainer. Be mad to pass it up.
    The man has massive Champions League experience, he's won it 3 times. Compared to our current crop of keepers, who have zero experience in the competition.

Worst case scenario Mig keeps his place but is forced to up his game cos a decent keeper is waiting to take over. We don't have that pressure with Brad Jones sitting warming the bench.

Mickalus wrote: »
    Worst case scenario Mig keeps his place but is forced to up his game cos a decent keeper is waiting to take over.

This won't happen. Valdes will become our number 1 & we'll start hawking Mig around before he moves on next summer.

Well it's like this. Sign Valdes or keep Jones.

Tough one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I think the best thing about getting Valdes in would be that Mignolet is still a very young goalkeeper who can improve as a result of Valdes coming in.

Migs shot stopping is already very good, he's prone to a mistake still and his distribution & footwork need to improve. If he develops like he can and with the current environment at the club, I think that's possible, then he will be a very, very good keeper. This is an opportunity for him to learn from Valdes and develop. Fighting for his place could make him work harder & he's training day in, day out, with a guy who has great experience of playing at the highest levels football has to offer.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    This won't happen. Valdes will become our number 1 & we'll start hawking Mig around before he moves on next summer.

An IMO here or there wouldn't go astray, otherwise it looks like you're stating a fact as opposed to offering up an opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Valdes was never the sturdiest in dealing with crosses imo. Often flustered and mistimed the flight of the ball. A bit like Liverpools current no. 1 so no major upgrade in that department for me.

I thought Mignolets passing with his feet in the last 2 games was much improved. He hit some chipped passes from inside his area to near the halfway line on the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

dobsdave wrote: »
    Any idea how much a train from Manchester aiport to liverpool is?
    website showing 17 return, but I presume thats a web only.
    a bit hesitant to buy in advance in case the plane is delayed,

Thanks

Might not let you buy in advance off an irish debit/credit card.

Think it;s about £30 return on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Might not let you buy in advance off an irish debit/credit card.

Think it;s about £30 return on the day.
    I've collected at the station in the airport using my Irish CC many times... having bought in advance.

An IMO here or there wouldn't go astray, otherwise it looks like you're stating a fact as opposed to offering up an opinion.

No "IMO" required, common sense only.

You know Valdes rejected a new contract at Barca in order to take up new challenge? Do you think that challenge is replacing Brad Jones on our bench!? Similarly do you think we'd pay the money he'll be getting paid for a sub goalie-we've already proven we won't do that with Reina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Valdes would be decent cover for Mignolet. If Mignolet doesn't improve and up his game I think he will be moved on next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

You know Valdes rejected a new contract at Barca in order to take up new challenge? Do you think that challenge is replacing Brad Jones on our bench!? Similarly do you think we'd pay the money he'll be getting paid for a sub goalie-we've already proven we won't do that with Reina.

Imo, Anyone with any common sense will still see that as your opinion man!

Rodgers didn't want Reina at the club, back up or not, I'm sure money was an added element but not the only reason. Valdes may have a different view now on what a new challenge means when no decent club seems to be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

NukaCola wrote: »
    Rodgers didn't want Reina at the club, back up or not, I'm sure money was an added element but not the only reason. Valdes may have a different view now on what a new challenge means when no decent club seems to be interested.

ahem No decent club interested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Valdes was heading to Monaco for the money untill his knee injury.

Monaco have no money now so he shopping himself around and we seem to be the only team now ready to take a gamble on him now.

I'm just not as convinced as you are that he'll be the sure fire no.1 or that he's a definite upgrade on Mignolet. He's always looked like he has a clanger in him, he gifted us a goal before too IIRC, saying that though I've no problem getting him in and having him fight for the spot and if he wins it and plays well then good luck to him, I can't say I watched him on a weekly basis myself, maybe you have and that's why you're so sure of your opinion? The fact he's a free agent will help in regards to paying him a decent wage.

ahem No decent club interested?

No other decent club. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I for one welcome this Victor of Valdes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Mr.Alan.. how much of Valdes have you actually watched?

While I don't think Mignolet is fantastic.. it is clear you have an agenda saying he has been "poor to average" considering he has managed to help us hold on to 3 points (like the weekend) more so than costing us 3 points.

With that I can see his faults... however saying one is so vastly superior to the other is untrue imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Sakho vs Costa has been great, neither giving an inch. Pretty full blooded for a friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Mignolet is clearly not up to it. He is a bag of nerves & is stuck to the goal line. Valdes last season for Barca was in the form of his life & probably after Coutois & Neuer the best GK in Europe. I saw him regularly last season & he is probably the best 1v1 shot stopper in the world & great with the ball at his feet. If he fully recovers from his ACL he will be our #1 easily.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement