Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

I also find it funny looking back now that during the American tour it was all about getting Remy as our striker, Then Rodgers was asked about Balotelli and he had to deny any links. Then suddenly we drop out of the race for Remy and we sign Balotelli a few weeks later.

I would guess we were always in negotiations for Balotelli and were using the Remy deal to show we had other options.

From most journalists comments I dont think thats what happened at all.
    Id say Balotelli never figured in Liverpools plans until he was offered to them so cheaply as the window closed. One of those where the price made the player attractive rather than the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I also find it funny looking back now that during the American tour it was all about getting Remy as our striker, Then Rodgers was asked about Balotelli and he had to deny any links. Then suddenly we drop out of the race for Remy and we sign Balotelli a few weeks later.

I would guess we were always in negotiations for Balotelli and were using the Remy deal to show we had other options.

That would be my opinion as well. Remy was in the bag and the chance of a better option came along. Remy then passes a medical a few weeks later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Was watching the Spain match last night and there was a lad at the back called San Jose. Anyone remember him? Fair dues to him, we sold him for about £3m I think now he has made his Spanish debut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

That would be my opinion as well. Remy was in the bag and the chance of a better option came along. Remy then passes a medical a few weeks later.

Debatable on the better option point - time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

greendom wrote: »

Higher the risk, bigger the reward :D ... Ballo will sell more shirts, raise expectations more and adds more than Remy would in a physical sense. We've gone from a covering centre forward in Remy to a starter in Ballotelli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

From most journalists comments I dont think thats what happened at all.
    Id say Balotelli never figured in Liverpools plans until he was offered to them so cheaply as the window closed. One of those where the price made the player attractive rather than the other way around.

Yet you don't believe a word of Evans who is a journalist lol

I no you said most.

One wants to play and one is happy to sit on the Chelsea bench.

Now I would still like to have the one who sits on the bench as well in our squad.

Higher the risk, bigger the reward :D ... Ballo will sell more shirts, raise expectations more and adds more than Remy would in a physical sense. We've gone from a covering centre forward in Remy to a starter in Ballotelli.

You' ve also gone to a lose cannon who is just as likely to decide he'd rather be anywhere else than on the pitch at any given moment as bother his ass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

How Tony Evans became football editor of the Times will forever be a mystery to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Dickerty wrote: »
    You think he could be a high quality . ?
    What font???

Forward :)

Must have clipped delete instead of enter as I was typing.

• Advertisement

One wants to play and one is happy to sit on the Chelsea bench.

Now I would still like to have the one who sits on the bench as well in our squad.

He had a choice between being 2nd choice at Chelsea or first at QPR. Which is the more ambitious move ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

How Tony Evans became football editor of the Times will forever be a mystery to me.

Most likely because he's a good writer & journalist? :confused: you just don't like him because he doesn't drink the kool-aid

Thoughts on Valdes being brought in to replace Mig, must be a shock to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Kess73 wrote: »
    Forward :)

Must have clipped delete instead of enter as I was typing.

It's that decision making at the death that seperates the men from the boys...

The reason for Xabi's move to Bayren is in the tabloids now.

He had a choice between being 2nd choice at Chelsea or first at QPR. Which is the more ambitious move ?

More likey 3rd after Drogba but I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting out of QPR.

You' ve also gone to a lose cannon who is just as likely to decide he'd rather be anywhere else than on the pitch at any given moment as bother his ass

To be fair ... why do we call Mario a Loose Cannon? Cos Mancini never could handle him, and basically said he was driven to such lengths of madness in dealing with him that he wanted to punch him in the face every time he seen him. Right?

I don't think it was ever mentioned that he wanted to be anywhere other than on the pitch though, in fact the biggest problem was that his temperament was suspect on the pitch and sometimes critical moments in the season.

It is a risk no doubt. Listening to Gerard and Rodgers they are both singing the same song about Mario - "He needs to integrate, be part of team, realise this is a huge opportunity for him, last chance saloon, willingness to fight for the cause" etc ... so i would not imagine the off field antics will be such a problem to Liverpool ... its what he does when he becomes frustrated on the field.

That's Rodgers' risk. Can he man-manage him. Get the best out of him not just for this season but for a few years! I agree its a big task but someone was going to take the risk sooner or later ... i mean, someone took Suarez in a heartbeat and he was fricken mental.

May as well be us.;)

More likey 3rd after Drogba but I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting out of QPR.

It shows that he's prepared to fight for a place. The fact that he had a lower clause to Champions League clubs proves his desire. I'm also pretty sure he'd be ahead of Drogba but that will come down to their respective form this season.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Most likely because he's a good writer & journalist? :confused: you just don't like him because he doesn't drink the kool-aid

It's one thing not being a Rodgers apologist, but he is openly anti-Rodgers, and has a problem with LFC that should not be so obvious for a major sport editor...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It's that decision making at the death that seperates the men from the boys...

I totally .

:P

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »

Thoughts on Valdes being brought in to replace Mig, must be a shock to you?

What kool-aid is this?

I don't like him because he spends he is petty and bitter and spends his days arguing with randomers on twitter. He is extremely bitter that one of Rafa/Kenny aren't still manager at the club.

I don't for a second believe that Tony Evans has a clue about what is going on at Liverpool. Nobody at the club rates Mignolet? If that was really true a long-term replacement would have been sourced as a priority this summer. The truth is that Tony Evans doesn't like Mignolet.

Re: Valdes, I've never really rated him that highly. If Mignolet doesn't kick on this season, GK is probably a priority position to fill, but don't think Valdes is the man to fill it.

This is the same Evans who claims Rodgers didn't want Sturridge, despite Sturridge and Rodgers both saying otherwise.

To be fair ... why do we call Mario a Loose Cannon? Cos Mancini never could handle him, and basically said he was driven to such lengths of madness in dealing with him that he wanted to punch him in the face every time he seen him. Right?

I don't think it was ever mentioned that he wanted to be anywhere other than on the pitch though, in fact the biggest problem was that his temperament was suspect on the pitch and sometimes critical moments in the season.

It is a risk no doubt. Listening to Gerard and Rodgers they are both singing the same song about Mario - "He needs to integrate, be part of team, realise this is a huge opportunity for him, last chance saloon, willingness to fight for the cause" etc ... so i would not imagine the off field antics will be such a problem to Liverpool ... its what he does when he becomes frustrated on the field.

That's Rodgers' risk. Can he man-manage him. Get the best out of him not just for this season but for a few years! I agree its a big task but someone was going to take the risk sooner or later ... i mean, someone took Suarez in a heartbeat and he was fricken mental.

May as well be us.;)

for me it's not the bouts of craziness that is the worry with Balotelli. It's the apathy he displays when he feels things aren't going his way. An early booking or a decision going against him can be enough for him to shut up shop and just not bother. The most recent example of that was against Costa Rica for Italy this Summer, but he did the same a number of times in Serie A last season. I'm pretty sure that's one of the reasons why Milan got rid.

If Rodgers can stop that trait then he's a remarkable man-manager and it will prove to be a fantastic signing. Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

kop77 wrote: »
    you have me with the @mixednuts on Twitter tho,

Not sure what you meant by that but if you can't find the @mixednuts twitter account and given we are all being so warm and fuzzy towards each other today here it is https://twitter.com/mixedknuts

for me it's not the bouts of craziness that is the worry with Balotelli. It's the apathy he displays when he feels things aren't going his way. An early booking or a decision going against him can be enough for him to shut up shop and just not bother. The most recent example of that was against Costa Rica for Italy this Summer, but he did the same a number of times in Serie A last season. I'm pretty sure that's one of the reasons why Milan got rid.

If Rodgers can stop that trait then he's a remarkable man-manager and it will prove to be a fantastic signing. Time will tell.

Yes great man management IF he can do it - but i also get a sneaking suspicion that Mario himself needs to man up here - he is not a kid anymore and with a new family etc, he needs to stop being a liabillity cos he surely realises that if he gets dumped out of Liverpool for not being a cog in the TEAM it will close alot of doors for him at a big club in future. Lets hope its a double act!

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

BenThere wrote: »
    Not sure what you meant by that but if you can't find the @mixednuts twitter account and given we are all being so warm and fuzzy towards each other today here it is https://twitter.com/mixedknuts

Ah... I was looking for @mixednuts but it was @mixedknuts you meant,

who I'm now following..... cheers

Toure, Enrique, Lucas, Lallana, Phillips, Suso, Balotelli & Borini all playing against Wolves in a behind closed door friendly at Melwood apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

MD1990 wrote: »
    Mignolet is clearly not up to it. He is a bag of nerves & is stuck to the goal line. Valdes last season for Barca was in the form of his life & probably after Coutois & Neuer the best GK in Europe. I saw him regularly last season & he is probably the best 1v1 shot stopper in the world & great with the ball at his feet. If he fully recovers from his ACL he will be our #1 easily.

This.

I'm guessing some on here have probably not seen him play for Barca regularly, and just seen Highlights of his Blunders. Well, every Keeper has those.

If we can make Excuse for Mig and our Unsettled Backline, the same could be said about Valdes.

Heck, you can say Valdes has it harder, since he has to play with Masch, who is not actually a CB.

And like MD1990 said, Valdes last year was just Unbelievable. He was the Reason why Barca was still within shout of the Championship, despite missing Messi.

If he could Regain his Form back then, he'll easily displace Mig, and be our No.1.

Toure, Enrique, Lucas, Lallana, Phillips, Suso, Balotelli & Borini all playing against Wolves in a behind closed door friendly at Melwood apparently

Phillips is getting a strong look-in since the summer, was on the US tour as well.
    He's only 16, only broke into the U18 last season, so to be even at Melwood at all is a big deal. And unlike Rossiter, Kent, Wilson and a few others, he's already pretty tall, which is important as a CM.

He is a three-time British cycle speedway champion as a teenager as well, but has retired to concentrate of football...

Evans certainly hasn't the credibility he once had regarding LFC stories and for me he is just lumped in with the pinch of salt journos

Phillips is getting a strong look-in since the summer, was on the US tour as well.
    He's only 16, only broke into the U18 last season, so to be even at Melwood at all is a big deal. And unlike Rossiter, Kent, Wilson and a few others, he's already pretty tall, which is important as a CM.

He is a three-time British cycle speedway champion as a teenager as well, but has retired to concentrate of football...

Nice, was just about to ask did anyone know what that lad was. Read my mind

Nice, was just about to ask did anyone know what that lad was. Read my mind

Harry probably has some thoughts as well!

He started the game against United last week, highlights here -

(he doesn't appear much, but still a good view...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Sturridge injured on England duty. FFS

What a surprise.

And people were saying 3 strikers was enough.

Hopefully it's not too serious

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

office-rage-o.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

How bad is the injury?

Jesus is Woys style of play that toxic it injures people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Evans certainly hasn't the credibility he once had regarding LFC stories and for me he is just lumped in with the pinch of salt journos

I honestly think that the other Tony at the times isn't far from following Evans path at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Im glad Borini has stayed tbh. Sturridge is injury prone & hopefully Borini can continue to improve.

Hopefully, Sturridge is just injured to avoid playing the second game. That happens a lot around International Friendly time (although the Monday game is a REAL game).

Stevie - "Danny, pull up in a run and tell them you've pulled something, then you get the weekend off..."
    Danny - "Geezer..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Seems like every time Sturridge goes away with England he comes back with an injury.

My fear now would be that he just felt a twinge and Hodgson will play him anyway against Switzerland on Monday and he'll make it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Could he not have gone to arsenal and been first choice.

Hopefully this is an injury that keeps him out of the England game but has him back for the next Liverpool match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

'Unconfirmed' and 'suggest' with a picture that could mean anything.

Mmmmmmm

Could he not have gone to arsenal and been first choice.

Arsene appeared not to want him. For half of the Welbeck fee you have to wonder why, but time will tell,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

Vicxas wrote: »
    'Unconfirmed' and 'suggest' with a picture that could mean anything.

Mmmmmmm

Body language in that picture suggests all is not well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Yeah, I call BS on that to be honest.

Looks like more of a clash of heads in the air than him being kicked in the head.

Also, why would he be subbed and not sent off?

Nonsense on twitter as always.

EDIT:

Looks as if he's up to his old tricks of punching a keeper in the same game! :D

BwxkzeNIcAAD8y4.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

Sterling is da man
    Liverpool's Sterling is shining light for England Telegraph.co.uk 22:57

Build the England team round Raheem Sterling even if it shackles Wayne... Daily Mail 22:48

Are England building a team around the wrong man? Sterling again looked... Mirror.co.uk 22:44

Arsenal legend: Sterling is England’s best Touchline Talk 18:06

Why Sterling - not Rooney - is England's star man Goal.com 09:28

Why England should build their team around Liverpool's Raheem Sterling Metro.co.uk 08:27

Raheem Sterling is England's best player and his connection with Daniel Sturridge... Daily Mail 22:01 Wed, 03 Sep 2014

Fire destroys Sterling fertilizer plant The Washington Times 06:20

Every few years there has to be someone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

This lad is normally spot on and would believe him over all them other stupid pages

https://twitter.com/Musker_LFC/status/507889278232584192

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Football often involves people into coming into contact with one another. That sound like it's the extent of it.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/mario-balotelli-linked-to-english-playboy-bunny-after-splitting-from-fiancee-bild/

The media circus around him is actually outrageous.
    This international break is a pain in the face

• Advertisement

There's a media circus around him for a reason tbf. The guy loves the attention

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement