Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

martyos121 wrote: »
    ...and it's usually Sturridge or Gerrard, two English players. Coincidence? I think not....

I don't think it's coincidence that they're English players; they're English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

PiE wrote: »
    I don't think it's coincidence that they're English players; they're English.

Looks like two to three weeks out.

Such a shame, step up Balo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Breathless fans of Jordon Ibe on twitter :p Played for England U20s in 6-0 thrashing of someone or other, didn't score.
    EmEm @Erosahx0 · 50m

@Andrewp534 @IbeJordon Literally! he is amazing. View conversation  Reply
     Retweet
     Favorite
     More

Andrew Pilkington @Andrewp534 · 1h

@Erosahx0 @IbeJordon hope he breaks into our 1st team next yr looks such an exciting player. Sure he will do well for derby this season. View conversation  Reply
     Retweet
     Favorite
     More

Craigy @CraigParlor · 1h

Great game tonight @IbeJordon!! Shame you didn't score but you played well! looking forward to your @LFC next game. pic.twitter.com/9JgI57EYrn View photo  Reply
     Retweet
     Favorite
     More

EmEm @Erosahx0 · 1h

Oh my gosh man. @IbeJordon was amazing tonight, best player out there! #EnglandU20s Expand 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Why Always Sturridge ?

The suspense is killing me, is it 3 weeks or is it 4 months, I need to know , come on LFC hurry up, get those scans done ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

jasonb wrote: »
    So annoying about Sturridge, always seems to happen when he plays for England.

I'm surprised by all the mentions of Borini and barely any mention of Lambert. Considering he's the striker we bought this summer, and Borini's the striker we tried our best to sell.

Do most people rate Borini over Lambert? Personally, if we do play 2 up top, I'd rather see Lambert get a go, he's definitely improved our options whenever he's come on the pitch so far.

J.

I'd definitely go for Borini personally - he's mobile and fits with how we play normally. All that movement Sturridge was doing out wide, and dropping deep against Spurs is something Borini can do, but Lambert can't.

Lambert for me will always be a great option from the bench when we need a goal and have a lot of possession in the final third, but more often than not we score our early goals with lightning breaks - which Lambert can't really do so much of.

Horses for courses, and I think as a Sturridge replacement, Borini just fits that bit better, particularly with Balotelli largely offering that same physical presence that Lambert can anyway.

I dont think I've ever seen Borini played in a front two for us..was usually either alone up top, or wide in a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1. As someone else mentioned, it'd be interesting to see the two Italians working together, and Borini looked better in a 2 man attack last year when used with Wickham, and occasionally Altidore. It takes the scoring burden off him a bit, and allows him to be more of a Kuyt forward - will pop up with goals, but is better/more effective at contributing to other peoples goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

klose wrote: »
    Is it just me or does sturridge always get injured whilst with england? Absolute hodging.

2 of his 3 injuries were on England duty, The big one over last November to January where he missed 9 games was done in a Liverpool training session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Like ~Rebel~ said, the reason I mentioned Borini and not Lambert getting game time is, I reckon that Balotelli will now become the main man up front and Rodgers will want one or two mobile forwards playing slightly off him, and I don't see Lambert being one of those two. I'm not slighting Lambert in the least, I'm a fan of his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

In my opinion, Sterling should be put up front with Mario now that Sturridge is injured. He's already proven that he can play well as a striker, when he scored against City in pre-season, and played an absolute blinder along with that. This could mean playing the diamond with Gerrard in the holding role, Lallana and Henderson/Markovic on the wings, and Coutinho through the centre. On paper, it sounds very promising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

klose wrote: »
    Is it just me or does sturridge always get injured whilst with england? Absolute hodging.

Seems to happen every time apart from the World Cup.

Wouldn't mind but Hodgson has already made his comments about 6 months ago about "testing" Sturridge's resolve when feeling a twinge.

Rodgers must be fuming. Sturridge's thigh muscles are a problem and Hodgson pushes it far too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Hardly hodgsons fault your player is made of glass. These things happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Oranage2 wrote: »

Roy can't be blamed for your appalling punctuation either. That doesn't mean we can't moan about it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

EDIT

Rant deleted, a more polite version of what I was saying is I don't like Woy, he's not a very good coach. Over working players seems to be state of play especially when it comes to Liverpool players. I wonder why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Oranage2 wrote: »

As pointed out, they only happen when he plays for England.

Obviously not Hodgsons fault but he did play him for 89 mins in a meaningless friendly as well as playing Sterling and Henderson for the full game. Whereas the Arsenal players involved were both taken off at around the hour mark.

Not saying he's taken care of certain clubs players better or anything like that but i do think we have a legitimate reason to have a moan.

This is also the same man who was playing Stevie G for nearly 90 mins in a friendly before the world cup, but I suppose he had a "point to prove" too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

NukaCola wrote: »
    As pointed out, they only happen when he plays for England.

Obviously not Hodgsons fault but he did play him for 89 mins in a meaningless friendly as well as playing Sterling and Henderson for the full game. Whereas the Arsenal players involved were both taken off at around the hour mark.

Not saying he's taken care of certain clubs players better or anything like that but i do think we have a legitimate reason to have a moan.

He got injured training for Liverpool last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

faux something something , faux everywhere ,somewhere ..think thats how this goes soon enough

He got injured training for Liverpool last year.

Only going off what others have said and what i remember, I cant recall when he got injured while at Liverpool. Was he out for weeks or just a game? If you had a link that would be nice.

Doesn't take away from the fact that he picks up injuries on England duty and IMO is being mis handled in the England setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Where all the we-don't-need-another-striker merchants now? 3 games in and Sturridge is crocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Clinical finisher, "made of glass". Jaysus, Arsenal really missed a trick with Sturridge.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Grayditch wrote: »
    Clinical finisher, "made of glass". Jaysus, Arsenal really missed a trick with Sturridge.

I'll bet he plays more games this season than wellbeck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Grayditch wrote: »
    Dat U, Turty?

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I'm sorry Sturridge is injured, I'd like to see himself and Balotelli get a run of games together early, particularly with a relatively easy set of fixtures coming up. If they clicked and Llanna slotted in for Allen we'd have a great platform going into the Xmas period.

I don't see BR playing Balotelli and Lambert together so if he's going to stick with two up top its a straight choice IMHO between Borini simply replacing Sturridge or Sterling moving up front with Coutinho taking Sterlings spot at the top of the diamond. If BR goes for Sterling up front Borini is well and truly Fcuked and his gamble to stay and fight for a place will have been a wasted effort.

I hope Borini gets the nod as I think he's a better out and out striker than Sterling and Sterling is at his most effective in the deeper role at the top of the diamond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Shows you how important it was to get someone of Mario's quality in before the window closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i go

_____________Mignolet____________
    Manquillo___Lovren__Sakho___Moreno
    ____________Gerrard______________
    ____Henderson_______Coutinho_____
    ____________Lallana_____________
    ______Balotelli______Sterling______

very unlucky on Allen but Coutinho will be higly motivated to improve on his last 2 performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Only going off what others have said and what i remember, I cant recall when he got injured while at Liverpool. Was he out for weeks or just a game? If you had a link that would be nice.

Doesn't take away from the fact that he picks up injuries on England duty and IMO is being mis handled in the England setup.

Taken from a few post a back,not gonna bother finding a link unless you insist.

2 of his 3 injuries were on England duty, The big one over last November to January where he missed 9 games was done in a Liverpool training session.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

So the mirror are reporting the balotelli attacking another player on there back page. Even though the wolves players have said it wasn't true!

Bloody hell!

Taken from a few post a back,not gonna bother finding a link unless you insist.

Found it here.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25176144

Not that I have any evidence to back this up but it would not be outrageous to suggest that that injury could possibly be linked to playing 90 minutes for England in another meaningless friendly while not fully fit. I do think he is being mis handled by the current England set-up. Some details on that found here

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/sturridge-will-answer-england-call-29783587.html

MD1990 wrote: »
    i go

_____________Mignolet____________
    Manquillo___Lovren__Sakho___Moreno
    ____________Gerrard______________
    ____Henderson_______Coutinho_____
    ____________Lallana_____________
    ______Balotelli______Sterling______

very unlucky on Allen but Coutinho will be higly motivated to improve on his last 2 performances.

Coutinho and Lallana could interchange in a way Allen would not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Sturridge is made of glass. He plays football matches he gets injured. That it happened for England or has done for England in the past is incidental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

So this American fan posted this vine before the Man City/Crystal Palace game.

https://vine.co/v/MvvPDuQ5OJY

He got a load of stick on twitter from Liverpool fans because of it. So he made this. Notice that his efforts at trying the Scouser accent brings out an Irish one.

https://vine.co/v/OB0i7jKMOdr

He try's to explain it in the geekiest way possible.

https://vine.co/v/OB01gmbhBZH

I love this guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Sturridge is made of glass. He plays football matches he gets injured. That it happened for England or has done for England in the past is incidental.
    Not exactly. Liverpool probably know how to manage him better. He got it in training playing a game it seems. Should have been rested after playing 2 games(Sunday & Wednesday) with his injury history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

MD1990 wrote: »
    Not exactly. Liverpool probably know how to manage him better. He got it in training playing a game it seems. Should have been rested after playing 2 games(Sunday & Wednesday) with his injury history.

They probably do. However, he is never going to manage over 40 club appearances in a season for this club imo. And so long as his ~30 games a season are as good as they've been thus far that's okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

He should retire from International football.

They ain't gonna win a thing with Uncle Woy in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

djPSB wrote: »

There's probably a lot of image deals these players have that they must feature for their national team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

djPSB wrote: »

It's not just about winning things is it?

If all players had that attitude we'd only have a few international teams on the whole planet.

International football is for pauper nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Everyone hates the International breaks during the season but yet I think the majority would agree that the World Cup is the greatest football tournament in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

International football is for pauper nations.

Like Germany?

Like Germany?

Germany? Oh feck off! :p

I think the new international Breaks are a good thing, staggering the games from Wed thru to following Tues. The problem we all had was that the domestic leagues would finish on the Sunday and there would be no football on TV til the following Friday. Nothing again til Tues after. It's just boring, at least now there are games on most days (but not today :() to keep us occupied and give us our football 'fix'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I blame Hodgson for this Sturridge injury.

It is all his fault.

I don't care if that's irrational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Shaqiri speaking ahead of the Switzerland/England game.

Sounds to me he would have been happy to join Liverpool.
    The 22-year-old playmaker said: “Liverpool made a bid for me before the World Cup but Bayern put their foot down and told me, ‘We’re not going to sell you’.

“My contract runs until 2016 and I could possibly extend it.

“I will consider my decision during the winter break.”

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9458200/transfer-news-liverpool-failed-with-bid-for-xherdan-shaqiri

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

kfallon wrote: »
    Everyone hates the International breaks during the season but yet I think the majority would agree that the World Cup is the greatest football tournament in the world

Actually I prefer the champions league over the World Cup . Especially when LFC are in it .

SlickRic wrote: »
    I blame Hodgson for this Sturridge injury.

It is all his fault.

I don't care if that's irrational.

It's not irrational. Common sense dictates that when you have a player with injury problems you generally don't run them into the ground in a ****ing friendly.

Actually I prefer the champions league over the World Cup . Especially when LFC are in it .

Na World Cup trumps the CL every time!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

ef52GlU.gif
    My reaction of crawling out of bed this morning to find there's no Premier League this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It's not irrational. Common sense dictates that when you have a player with injury problems you generally don't run them into the ground in a ****ing friendly.

Did he run him into the ground? Or did he just play him a full 90 minutes like they train for and are employed to do?
    When Rodgers is playing him on a Wednesday night and the following Saturday will you be complaining about him?
    It's crazy the amount of blame being slung Hodgson's way here, even bordering on conspiracy with some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

It's not just about winning things is it?

If all players had that attitude we'd only have a few international teams on the whole planet.

For some countries i.e. Ireland, it's an achievement to reach a WC in itself so there is something to be gained.

Playing for England under Hodgson is pointless. England's marker for success is competing in the latter stages of tournaments and this ain't gonna happen as long as Hodgson is in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Did he run him into the ground? Or did he just play him a full 90 minutes like they train for and are employed to do?
    When Rodgers is playing him on a Wednesday night and the following Saturday will you be complaining about him?
    It's crazy the amount of blame being slung Hodgson's way here, even bordering on conspiracy with some people.

Not really a conspiracy at all given Hodgsons previous comments about Sturridge!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

K-9 wrote: »
    Not really a conspiracy at all given Hodgsons previous comments about Sturridge!

What are they? When I say conspiracy I'm talking about people mentioning that the Arsenal players didn't have to play the full 90.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement