Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

kfallon wrote: »
    I think the new international Breaks are a good thing, staggering the games from Wed thru to following Tues. The problem we all had was that the domestic leagues would finish on the Sunday and there would be no football on TV til the following Friday. Nothing again til Tues after. It's just boring, at least now there are games on most days (but not today :() to keep us occupied and give us our football 'fix'

Totally agree, great change by UEFA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

What are they? When I say conspiracy I'm talking about people mentioning that the Arsenal players didn't have to play the full 90.

Hodgson said last year he wanted to test Sturridge's "resolve" when he was carrying a slight knock on England duty. Think he played him in the following game and promptly made the injury worse.

At least that's my vague recollection of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Hodgson said last year he wanted to test Sturridge's "resolve" when he was carrying a slight knock on England duty. Think he played him in the following game and promptly made the injury worse.

At least that's my vague recollection of it.

Was he carrying an injury into the Norway game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

What are they? When I say conspiracy I'm talking about people mentioning that the Arsenal players didn't have to play the full 90.

Who said that the Arsenal players did not have to play the full 90?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

not sure if old news, but apparently we did bid for shaquiri in the summer

http://www.setanta.com/ie/shaqiri-liverpool-wanted-to-sign-me/

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »
    Who said that the Arsenal players did not have to play the full 90?

It was mentioned earlier that the Liverpool players were left on and the Arsenal players taken off early. Someone else said something about it being a "coincidence" that it's the Liverpool players who get overworked.
    All seems a bit tinfoil hat stuff to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

It was mentioned earlier that the Liverpool players were left on and the Arsenal players taken off early. Someone else said something about it being a "coincidence" that it's the Liverpool players who get overworked.

Hodgson's attempt to "test his resove" is probably at the heart of a lot of this.

The fact is Sturridge is injury prone. I'm sure Liverpool are better at managing that than England, which is only natural as they work with him full time.

The signing of Balotelli was hugely significant.

It will be interesting to see Liverpool playing with Balotelli up top.

I said
    NukaCola wrote: »
    Obviously not Hodgsons fault but he did play him for 89 mins in a meaningless friendly as well as playing Sterling and Henderson for the full game. Whereas the Arsenal players involved were both taken off at around the hour mark.

Not saying he's taken care of certain clubs players better or anything like that but i do think we have a legitimate reason to have a moan.

I was trying to point out that taking important players off at half time and around the hour mark seems sensible in meaningless friendlys. I realise Hodgson probably wanted to see more of the Liverpool players involved but i dont think its moaning for no reason. No conspiracy theory was implied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Did he run him into the ground? Or did he just play him a full 90 minutes like they train for and are employed to do?
    When Rodgers is playing him on a Wednesday night and the following Saturday will you be complaining about him?
    It's crazy the amount of blame being slung Hodgson's way here, even bordering on conspiracy with some people.

If it happens in a competitive game so be it, but why needlessly take that risk in a game that means nothing? Simply because the England manager doesn't have to worry about the immediate aftermath.

Fescue wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see Liverpool playing with Balotelli up top.

Heads will be kicked

• Advertisement

If it happens in a competitive game so be it, but why needlessly take that risk in a game that means nothing? Simply because the England manager doesn't have to worry about the immediate aftermath.

Robin van Persie would probably be considered more injury prone than Sturridge, he was taken off with a few minutes to go the other night too. It's part and parcel of football, the international managers want to see their players in their teams as much as the clubs do. If Sturridge didn't feel up to playing the full game he could have signalled to the bench that he needed to come off or mentioned before the game he could only do so many minutes. He would not have been forced against his will to play for so long. I just think it's bizarre to pin all the blame on Hodgson, no doubt a lot of it has to do with his history with Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The reason the Liverpool players were not took off vs Norway is simple. They are England's best players & even though it was only a friendly they needed a win for confidence ahead of there qualifler.

Robin van Persie would probably be considered more injury prone than Sturridge, he was taken off with a few minutes to go the other night too. It's part and parcel of football, the international managers want to see their players in their teams as much as the clubs do. If Sturridge didn't feel up to playing the full game he could have signalled to the bench that he needed to come off or mentioned before the game he could only do so many minutes. He would not have been forced against his will to play for so long. I just think it's bizarre to pin all the blame on Hodgson, no doubt a lot of it has to do with his history with Liverpool.

Most players need the decision taken out of their hands because quite simply they don't like to admit to weakness. Especially in the case of players like Sturridge who have been given the honour of leading the line for their country, he doesn't want to lose that and will play on regardless of niggles he might feel.

That's what the coach is there for though, to make those calls for him and manage him correctly.

The irony, btw, is not lost on me here when Utd fans were crying last season about Moyes' training sessions destroying RVP's season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Sturridge has played 90 mins in all 3 games. RVP is working his way back to fitness after an extended world cup break and was probably welcome of the longer run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Lucky Borini stayed ain't it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

slingerz wrote: »
    Lucky Borini stayed ain't it!!

Don't see him making the bench in the next number of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Agree with this. I think I'm against the majority in this forum, I don't want Borini starting. Lambert should be up front with Balo now. We've enough supporting attacking midfielders if we switch to 1 up front, either of those strikers could play with 2 attackers in support. (Sterling, Markovic, Coutinho, Lallana mainly)

Time will tell but I don't see Borini making much of an impact this season.

The irony, btw, is not lost on me here when Utd fans were crying last season about Moyes' training sessions destroying RVP's season.

There were some drama queens moaning about it based on an article by some Dutch journo, there was nothing concrete in those rumours, coincidentally he has levelled similar accusations at van Gaal already IIRC, most likely both were BS. I think this situation kind of mirrors that in a way. There's always a fall guy, Moyes for United fans and Hodgson for Liverpool fans.

Sturridge has played 90 mins in all 3 games. RVP is working his way back to fitness after an extended world cup break and was probably welcome of the longer run out.

It was a friendly and from the bits I seen, not very exerting for anybody. Will you expect Sturridge to miss a Champions League or important league game if there's only a few days between them?
    It's easy to criticise after an injury is picked up, if he scored a hat-trick and came through unscathed there wouldn't be a mention of the minutes he had to play.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Is there no Man U thread Will? :pac::p

• Advertisement

It was a friendly and from the bits I seen, not very exerting for anybody. Will you expect Sturridge to miss a Champions League or important league game if there's only a few days between them?
    It's easy to criticise after an injury is picked up, if he scored a hat-trick and came through unscathed there wouldn't be a mention of the minutes he had to play.

I haven't criticised anybody just pointing out that RVP needed the run out more than Sturridge. Hodgson has suffered here as well as he has lost arguably his best striker for their toughest group game. Maybe next time Hodgson might consider that Sturridge is quite injury prone and that way both club and country will benefit.

I haven't criticised anybody just pointing out that RVP needed the run out more than Sturridge. Hodgson has suffered here as well as he has lost arguably his best striker for their toughest group game. Maybe next time Hodgson might consider that Sturridge is quite injury prone and that way both club and country will benefit.

I wasn't inferring you did, it was just a general point that it's easy for people to criticise something when the worst case scenario plays out.

Augmerson wrote: »
    Is there no Man U thread Will? :pac::p

You know well there is, you post stupid things in it all the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Disagree, he will make at least the bench before this month is out, ain't no doubt about that baby!

Pending injuries of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

kfallon wrote: »
    Everyone hates the International breaks during the season but yet I think the majority would agree that the World Cup is the greatest football tournament in the world

*ahem*

You know well there is, you post stupid things in it all the time...

No, really I don't. That was a joke. I'm sure you understand the concept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

There were some drama queens moaning about it based on an article by some Dutch journo,

He was a fitness coach.

ush wrote: »
    He was a fitness coach.

Yeah, you're right, I wasn't 100% sure on it. Point still stands either way, he was not involved in Moyes' or van Gaal's training sessions, it's all conjecture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Just a reminder to keep things affable, folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Kess73 wrote: »
    Mod Post: Just a reminder to keep things affable, folks.

What are you talking about Kess? This was a perfectly cromulent discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

damn no premier league this weekend is really a bummer.

Kirby wrote: »
    What are you talking about Kess? This was a perfectly cromulent discussion.

Mod Post: The burst of PMs I got, and a few reported posts says otherwise,

Prefer to nip things in the bud before folks try to lay bait or start to snipe.

Nice Simpsons reference though :)

Kess73 wrote: »
    Mod Post: The burst of PMs I got, and a few reported posts says otherwise,

Prefer to nip things in the bud before folks try to lay bait or start to snipe.

Nice Simpsons reference though :)

None were from me in case anybody thinks I'm coming in here to try and get people banned.

To touch on the Raheem Sterling chat from yesterday.

Just saw a few more stats that caught my eye.

When Ronaldo (Current version and not the one from Brazil) turned 20, he had played 4445 minutes of first team football for Man U and Sporting. He scored 11 goals and got 11 assists in this time.

Sterling, who does not turn 20 until this coming December, has had 5041 first team minutes for Liverpool to date, and in that time notched up 14 goals and 14 assists.

When compared to the likes of Mario Gotze up until he turned 20, Sterling is again on the same sort of level when it comes to goals and assists against first team minutes.

Now like any stats it is very much open to debate, but thought it was interesting that Sterling's attacking stats versus first team minutes are starting to resemble those shown by many players that turned out to be (or who are turning out to be) of a very high calibre.

Is probably a case of me being quite bored due to the International break, but am starting to allow myself to become very optimistic with regards to Sterling's potential ceiling.

I don't even know what affable means. LOL

I'm drunk mods don't mind me.

• Advertisement

None were from me in case anybody thinks I'm coming in here to try and get people banned.

Mod Post: If you want to continue this discussion with posters from the thread then take it to PM. Same goes for anyone else that wants to discuss any of my Mod Posts. This is not a feedback thread, and I am not going to be drawn into further discussion that will only serve to derail the thread.

Those that sent PMs have been replied to, and if anyone has not received a PM from me, then you have no reason to get involved in any way or form. Thank you.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

what impresses me most about Sterling is his brain for the game. You can see him looking at the angles and judging the distance of defending players and the like far better than many veterans. Hes fast, very technically gifted, has an eye for goal and has exactly the right kind of brain an attacking player in his position needs. incredible for a 19 year old, can't wait to see him in 5 years (in a pool shirt and not a f'n Madrid one)

As disappointing as it is to see Sturridge injured it will be intriguing to see Rodgers' plan. He hardly expected Sturridge to remain available for all of Liverpool's PL and CL games so he must have a plan that Borini was not part of.

Now as Borini is still at LFC it presents an option for Rodgers that he clearly didn't fancy as his plan b.

If Borini starts the next game it will be a head scratcher, I expect him to be on the bench, if he's not on the bench I'll be more than a little puzzled.

Yeah Borini on the bench I reckon. Lambert must be ahead of him.

I just hope that Sturridge's injury doesn't have Rodgers reverting to the one striker up front that we saw against Southampton and Man City.

Fantastic opportunity for whoever Rodgers picks to come in.

• Advertisement

I just hope that Sturridge's injury doesn't have Rodgers reverting to the one striker up front that we saw against Southampton and Man City.

I sort of think that's the plan :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Augeo wrote: »
    I sort of think that's the plan :(

To be fair the problem up to now with one striker is that it doesn't suit sturridges game. May well be better with him unavailable.

That's a very decent point :)
    If Rodgers does go with one up front it's therefore quite plausible that Borini may well not be on the bench as Lambert will be, barring injury.

We need another striker.
    HESKEY.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

In fairness Rvp had an extended World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Simon Mignolet v Victor Valdes: how the two keepers compare as Liverpool FC eye move for Spaniard.

In the Echo.

What I found most surprising was not Valdes winning on saves pre match, conceded goals pre game & clean sheets.

But he lost on Pass accuracy and this is one of the sticks used to beat Mignolet.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/simon-mignolet-v-victor-valdes-7730847

huey1975 wrote: »
    In fairness Rvp had an extended World Cup

I know that the point I was making is that RVP needed minutes in a meaningless international friendly more than Sturridge did .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

But he lost on Pass accuracy and this is one of the sticks used to beat Mignolet

Come on man, use your head as to why that would be...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

We need another striker.
    HESKEY.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Catching up on the thread from last night, and have a zinger of a response for this that I can't believe wasn't used.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Pull Sterling and Henderson out of that going nowhere squad now

Sterling doesn't pull out. :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement