Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Portsmouth got 500k off us from a clause in Johnson's contract because we finished 2nd in the league (apparently 1m if we had won it)

(dont kill the messenger :pac:)

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/johnson-windfall-to-benefit-pompey-creditors-1-6286300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Augmerson wrote: »
    I dunno, would like to see Fowler do well in management but, the scenario at Leeds, with their chairman the guy from Italy....he is not a patient man by any sense of the word.

Win win for fowler, team does well he gets the plaudits, he gets fired, the chairman is mental.

Hope it works out for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Super-Rush wrote: »

Cant see him making a decent manager, dont think he has the skillz for it. Property is booming again, he should stick to that

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Team for villa so lads?
    Manquillo sakho lovern moreno
    Henderson Gerrard Allen
    .... Sterling markovic
    ..... Super Mario

Villa are very quick and mobile. Would be dangerous to not give Gerrard the cover of Allen and Henderson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Team for villa so lads?
    Manquillo sakho lovern moreno
    Henderson Gerrard Allen
    .... Sterling markovic
    ..... Super Mario

Villa are very quick and mobile. Would be dangerous to not give Gerrard the cover of Allen and Henderson.

Allen was playing for Wales tonight so I'd say Lallana will play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

We've Coutinho coming back late (they're not playing until 2:00AM), Lallana just coming back from injury, Henderson apparently injured a few days ago and Allen playing tonight.

Balotelli, Gerrard, Sterling and Markovic should be nailed on to start and Henderson is presumably grand so he'll start too.

We've another game Tuesday so any of those who only get cameos will probably start then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The grauniad has a feature on MOTD Goal of the Season through the 80s, which of course included a few from Liverpool players what I hadn't realised (or forgotten about) was that in 87/88 every goal on the shortlist of 12 was scored by LFC.

One or two of them are only tap ins ultimately but its the team nature of them that's being highlighted I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

The grauniad has a feature on MOTD Goal of the Season through the 80s, which of course included a few from Liverpool players what I hadn't realised (or forgotten about) was that in 87/88 every goal on the shortlist of 12 was scored by LFC.

One or two of them are only tap ins ultimately but its the team nature of them that's being highlighted I think.

Ridiculous how good Beardsly, Barnes, Aldridge, Nichol, McMahon were, some force!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'd go:

Mignolet

Manquillo---Lovren
    Sakho
    Moreno

Gerrard

Henderson
    Lallana

Sterling

Balotelli
    Borini

Then for the CL

Mignolet

Manquillo----Lovren---Sakho
    Moreno

Gerrard

Henderson----Allen

Coutinho

Balotelli
    Markovic

Though I think this game is the perfect chance to rest Gerrard and play Lucas. With it being our first CL game, no chance of that happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

That 87/88 team is my fav Liverpool team of all time, loved them!

ASOT wrote: »
    Ridiculous how good Beardsly, Barnes, Aldridge, Nichol, McMahon were, some force!

I'd think we'd all kill our grannies if we thought it would make LFC as good as they were in the late 80s. :D Just an astonishing barrage of silky skills.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It was such a joy watching that team. It's a pity I wasn't a couple of years older at the time, but I still remember watching a lot of that season.

While they were still big fees for the day, the thought that we signed players of the quality of Barnes, Beardsley and Aldridge for a combined 5.5m or so shows how mad money has become in the game now. Rush to Juve for 3.8m I think earlier that summer was the British record transfer at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Those last two goals against forest were part of a 5 0 home win in what was the best performance of that season . They brought out a video of it which I had as at the time forest were a top side and it was the complete performance. That season and last season are my two favourites as a Liverpool fan. Also that Barnes goal against QPR was unreal.

I'd think we'd all kill our grannies if we thought it would make LFC as good as they were in the late 80s. :D Just an astonishing barrage of silky skills.

My grannies are dead about 50 and 33 years respectively, so I'm open to the idea.

Those last two goals against forest were part of a 5 0 home win in what was the best performance of that season . They brought out a video of it which I had as at the time forest were a top side and it was the complete performance. That season and last season are my two favourites as a Liverpool fan. Also that Barnes goal against QPR was unreal.

I had that video as well (still do actually, but no vcr player). It was called The Mighty Reds and the entire Forest game was on the video.

• Advertisement

We were 1-2 results away from Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling and Coutinho being talked of in the same breath. Maybe they still shoud be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

John Barnes for 900k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

We were 1-2 results away from Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling and Coutinho being talked of in the same breath. Maybe they still shoud be.

Nah, that 88 team was at a different level IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No way the 87/88 team was on a totally different level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I love that goal by Barnes.

Time seems to stop for a couple of seconds when he takes it past the first defender.

• Advertisement

Nah, that 88 team was at a different level IMO.

Last years team scored a good lot more but conceded twice as many. Arguably a better attacking team.

I was three in 88 so can hardly compare though

5starpool wrote: »
    I had that video as well (still do actually, but no vcr player). It was called The Mighty Reds and the entire Forest game was on the video.

That's right the 90 mins v forest and most of the goals above. Barnes got another good one against QPR which was on it as well.

John Barnes for 900k.

3 weeks wages for rooney

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Last years team scored a good lot more but conceded twice as many. Arguably a better attacking team.

I was three in 88 so can hardly compare though

Trust me, that team was unbelievable. The best Liverpool team I've ever seen, and one of the best teams football has seen, and I don't think that is an overstatement. If that team was allowed play in Europe, we wouldn't only have the five European Cups, that's how good they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

The 87/88 team lost Molby for most of the season too, remember it all very well. There would be a few mins delay of scores to come on the tv so radio was best option for up to date. I even remember when there was literally no sport on tv and nobody covering on radio and the only option was 90 mins of ceefax :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Markovic vs France.

Referred to as "superb" on twitter. Looks pretty poor to me though - giving the ball away a lot, must be around 50-60% pass completion, poor decision making, no end product, and could've been sent off for two footed tackle.

daithijjj wrote: »
    The 87/88 team lost Molby for most of the season too, remember it all very well. There would be a few mins delay of scores to come on the tv so radio was best option for up to date. I even remember when there was literally no sport on tv and nobody covering on radio and the only option was 90 mins of ceefax :pac:

ah but come Final Score....

mlrpll.jpg

ah but come Final Score....

mlrpll.jpg

The notion now of waiting for final score to find out football results is just so unthinkable. We didn't know any different though back in the day.

/reminisce

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

It was such a joy watching that team.
    Yes very experienced and confident team, not quite as nail biting as it is now.
    Definitely had another European cup in them.
    While they were still big fees for the day, the thought that we signed players of the quality of Barnes, Beardsley and Aldridge for a combined 5.5m or so shows how mad money has become in the game now. Rush to Juve for 3.8m I think earlier that summer was the British record transfer at the time.
    The two bits I remember from that was Barnes dithering when Liverpool were in for him and the consternation it caused.
    Also Aldridge taking over so seamlessly from Rush had the juve press comparing their photos claiming lfc sent them the wrong guy ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

tibor wrote: »
    Markovic vs France.

Referred to as "superb" on twitter. Looks pretty poor to me though - giving the ball away a lot, must be around 50-60% pass completion, poor decision making, no end product, and could've been sent off for two footed tackle.

But aside from that he was superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

tibor wrote: »
    Markovic vs France.

yup average for me, very poor decision making tbh...he's looks strong though and made a good few interceptions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Trust me, that team was unbelievable. The best Liverpool team I've ever seen, and one of the best teams football has seen, and I don't think that is an overstatement. If that team was allowed play in Europe, we wouldn't only have the five European Cups, that's how good they were.

what people tend to forget is that for the first 29 league games that 87-88 season liverpool were unbeaten. after those 29 games they were leading the table by an astonishing 15 points and also had 2 games in hand having only conceded 13 goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Ah they just used to love dinking it over the keeper back then didn't they! Phenomenal team.

Emre Can U21 v Romania. He really is a monster at this level. Great thinking for the assist for the goal too

This is a brilliant read on Sterling, compares him to other players when they turned 19 such as Ronaldo, Messi, Fabregas, Sturridge etc

19%2Bseasons.JPG

http://thebigripple.blogspot.ie/2014/09/raheem-dream-whos-good-at-19.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I'm not a hipster so had to google what "the grauniad" was...lol

Good video clip though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The notion now of waiting for final score to find out football results is just so unthinkable. We didn't know any different though back in the day.

/reminisce

In Dublin there was a late Saturday edition of the Herald printed hurriedly at 5.10pm on Saturday and a team of mopeds ready to deliver it to the shops for 5.30. Identical to the 3pm edition except on the backpage in lopsided font and inaccurate spellings would be the 40 afternoon football results.
    People who'd missed the videoprinter results would wait anxiously in the newsagents for this edition to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

In Dublin there was a late Saturday edition of the Herald printed hurriedly at 5.10pm on Saturday and a team of mopeds ready to deliver it to the shops for 5.30. Identical to the 3pm edition except on the backpage in lopsided font and inaccurate spellings would be the 40 afternoon football results.
    People who'd missed the videoprinter results would wait anxiously in the newsagents for this edition to appear.

early_tv_215595.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

saturday game this week. yipee!

also cool that we get to play after the likes of arsenal, city, spurs and chelsea (hopefully the drop points)

• Advertisement

bluefinger wrote: »

also cool that we get to play after the likes of arsenal, city, spurs and chelsea (hopefully the drop points)

Yeah but its a tea-time kick off, the only thing that could add more hex would be if Setanta Sport 1 was showing it.

UEFA Champions League for Nippers which mirror the senior dates.

Liverpool have confirmed the following dates for their UEFA Youth League fixtures with Ludogorets Razgrad, Real Madrid and FC Basel.

The U19 tournament kicks-off with the opening fixture against Bulgarian outfit Ludogorets Razgrad at Langtree Park, St Helens, on Tuesday, September 16 - a match you will be able to watch live on LFCTV from 2pm BST.

Tuesday, September 16. Liverpool v Ludogorets Razgrad. Kick off 2pm at Langtree Park, St Helens.

Wednesday, October 1. FC Basel v Liverpool. Kick off 3pm at Campus Basel.

Wednesday, October 22. Liverpool v Real Madrid. Kick off 2pm at Langtree Park.

Tuesday, November 4. Real Madrid v Liverpool. Kick off 4pm at Alfredo Di Stefano.

Wednesday, November 26. Ludogorets Razgrad v Liverpool. Kick off 4pm at Georgi Asparuhov, Sofia.

Tuesday, December 9. Liverpool v FC Basel. Kick off 2pm at Langtree Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

I am watching/supporting Liverpool since the late 70's. There have been some great teams over that time, however IMHO the best by a long way was the 1988/89 team. If you look at the team that won the double in 85/86 compared to the 1988/89 there was a huge amount of changes.
    Big Jan was always one of my favorite players ever( pity he had some refueling issues)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

People comparing last seasons team to 87/88 just don't realise how good they were.

In my memory they played Coventry off the park in their first league match and the opposition manager and the press just said give the title to Liverpool straight away.

28 games unbeaten and could have gone the whole season like that except for a silly defeat to Everton iirc.

They were a joy to watch, awful pity they couldn't play in Europe at the time.

murpho999 wrote: »
    People comparing last seasons team to 87/88 just don't realise how good they were.

In my memory they played Coventry off the park in their first league match and the opposition manager and the press just said give the title to Liverpool straight away.

28 games unbeaten and could have gone the whole season like that except for a silly defeat to Everton iirc.

The goal that beat us in that 29th goal was scored as well by the brother of a player who were in the Leeds team who had the unbeaten start record of 28 games as well I believe. I'm not sure if the Everton or Leeds guy was Alan Clarke, but they were the brothers involved anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The goal that beat us in that 29th goal was scored as well by the brother of a player who were in the Leeds team who had the unbeaten start record of 28 games as well I believe. I'm not sure if the Everton or Leeds guy was Alan Clarke, but they were the brothers involved anyhow.

Wayne Clarke, if memory serves me correctly.

For the record, I wasn't comparing last season's team to the 87/88 team.

I was comparing 4/5 attacking players and I think it's a reasonable comparison given the ridiculous amount of goals we scored last season and the numbers of thrashings we doled out.

The 87/88 team was clearly a better side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

/reminisce

And also listening to the late James Alexander Gordon who died last month, announcing the classified scores on sports report.

Wayne Clarke, if memory serves me correctly.

That's the lad. Alan was the Leeds player who was his brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

bluefinger wrote: »

To be honest I prefer playing ahead of the top sides. Nothing worse than waiting for your own game to come along if the others have all won already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

John Barnes for 900k.

Raheem Sterling - 20+ years later - £600k.

One of Rafa's last gifts :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement