Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Raheem Sterling - 20+ years later - £600k.

One of Rafa's last gifts :pac:

Could be wrong but I think Frank McParland was the man behind signing Sterling

jem wrote: »
    I am watching/supporting Liverpool since the late 70's. There have been some great teams over that time, however IMHO the best by a long way was the 1988/89 team. If you look at the team that won the double in 85/86 compared to the 1988/89 there was a huge amount of changes.
    Big Jan was always one of my favorite players ever( pity he had some refueling issues)

Its just a pity that team didn't get to play in the European Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

5starpool wrote: »
    Their site still has the sign up page, but the above wouldn't surprise me.

confirmed offer expires on 23rd Sept!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Yeah but its a tea-time kick off, the only thing that could add more hex would be if Setanta Sport 1 was showing it.

UEFA Champions League for Nippers which mirror the senior dates.

Are these ticketed? Interested in going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Wish I was old enough to have seen the 89 team play. I can only compare last years team to our 2008/09 team. Still some serious quality in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Club made £50k in revenue from Balotelli shirts on day he signed

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2014/09/10/mario-balotelli-transfer-made-liverpool-50000-in-a-day/?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Fair Play to him. Always was a class act.

Ex-Liverpool defender Daniel Agger forks out to send Denmark's homeless side to World Cup

Former Liverpool defender Daniel Agger has put his hand in his pocket to pay for Denmark's homeless football team to fly to next month's World Cup in Chile.

Ex-Red Agger, who left Liverpool last month to return to Denmark with Brondby, heard that the Danish side were struggling to foot the bill for the trip to Santiago.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ex-liverpool-defender-daniel-agger-forks-4191606

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

greendom wrote: »
    confirmed offer expires on 23rd Sept!

Did you sign up? Had you signed up last year?

Edit: tried there and it worked, sweet. Won't need to find streams for the derby in a few weeks or other games either. Must just have been technical issues before.

Did you sign up? Had you signed up last year?

yes *2 :)

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    yes *2 :)

Cheers. I'm sorted now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

How David Burrows got in the team in 88/89 is beyond me!
    Wasn't a big fan of Ablett either as a player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

hefferboi wrote: »
    Fair Play to him. Always was a class act.

Ex-Liverpool defender Daniel Agger forks out to send Denmark's homeless side to World Cup

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ex-liverpool-defender-daniel-agger-forks-4191606
    Everybody here have a house? If not drop me a PM and I'll try help you out in some way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its not just Roy Hodgson who takes liberties with Liverpool players

Emre Can played last night, set up three of the eight goals and was made to play right to the end despite being knobbled. In central midfield this time.

Cheers. I'm sorted now.

Just in time for Dover vs Barnet. Should be a cracker !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

Wish I was old enough to have seen the 89 team play. I can only compare last years team to our 2008/09 team. Still some serious quality in both.

So you don't remember the double in 86 either then? The FA cup final of thAt year against Everton is one if my finest memories of the mighty reds as a kid!! What a time to be a red, before the other red winkers even had a tree planted to think about turning into a fu*king perch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

ratracer wrote: »
    So you don't remember the double in 86 either then? The FA cup final of thAt year against Everton is one if my finest memories of the mighty reds as a kid!! What a time to be a red, before the other red winkers even had a tree planted to think about turning into a fu*king perch...

I'll never forget Rush going round Bobby Mimms for the equalizer

I also never knew this:
    As substitute Steve McMahon was unused, Liverpool became the first team to compete in the FA Cup Final without fielding an English player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

BMJD wrote: »
    I'll never forget Rush going round Bobby Mimms for the equalizer

I also never knew this:

I only read that recently in Ian Rush's autobiography. That was a pretty remarkable occurrence back then alright.

ratracer wrote: »

Nope, was born in 91, first real memories of anything football related were of fowler wearing that white thing on his nose. I did the same once or twice. *Facepalm*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Emre Can played last night, set up three of the eight goals and was made to play right to the end despite being knobbled. In central midfield this time.

Wow. Great performance. He's clearly too good for the U21s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Nope, was born in 91, first real memories of anything football related were of fowler wearing that white thing on his nose. I did the same once or twice. *Facepalm*

Holy ****, I'm only 30 but you've just made me feel old! :pac:

I started supporting Liverpool before you were born! It always surprises me when I hear peoples ages here on boards. I've always guessed wrong! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Brendão wrote: »
    It always surprises me when I hear peoples ages here on boards. I've always guessed wrong! :o

I take pride in posting like the 11 year old that I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I turned 29 for the 5th time 2 weeks ago. Its been a long time coming but i reckon my 5th 29th year is gonna be our year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Pity Yesil wasn't involved. You'd imagine he would've been had it not been for the injuries.

Hopefully he can make up for lost time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

murpho999 wrote: »
    People comparing last seasons team to 87/88 just don't realise how good they were.

In my memory they played Coventry off the park in their first league match and the opposition manager and the press just said give the title to Liverpool straight away.

28 games unbeaten and could have gone the whole season like that except for a silly defeat to Everton iirc.

They were a joy to watch, awful pity they couldn't play in Europe at the time.

The club would have far more than 5 European Cups/Champions League cups but for the ban.

• Advertisement

What I LOVE about the current times (thanks to Rodgers) is that you always feel we are in with a chance, back in the 80s it was a question of how many will Liverpool win by today, we'll never see that again but the Liverpool team of today is capable of great things :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Augeo wrote: »
    What I LOVE about the current times (thanks to Rodgers) is that you always feel we are in with a chance, back in the 80s it was a question of how many will Liverpool win by today, we'll never see that again but the Liverpool team of today is capable of great things :)

I envy this. The last two decades and more have completely knocked the optimism out of me. I love watching Liverpool, especially the current crop but there's always, always that sense that we'll conspire to throw it away somehow.
    I was at Anfield last year for the 5-1 vs Arsenal and even at 4-0 to the good before h/t, I wanted us to get to h/t without them scoring, feeling they'd get back into the game somehow. I hate this but it's second nature now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

mosstin wrote: »
    I envy this. The last two decades and more have completely knocked the optimism out of me. I love watching Liverpool, especially the current crop but there's always, always that sense that we'll conspire to throw it away somehow.
    I was at Anfield last year for the 5-1 vs Arsenal and even at 4-0 to the good before h/t, I wanted us to get to h/t without them scoring, feeling they'd get back into the game somehow. I hate this but it's second nature now.

Yep, I hear ya! When we were 3-0 against Spurs last week, I couldn't relax until it hit the 90th minute,only then I think it'll be tough to concede 3 now. Deffo remember feeling similar in that Arsenal game you mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,664 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

As substitute Steve McMahon was unused, Liverpool became the first team to compete in the FA Cup Final without fielding an English player.

That was my one piece of football trivia knowledge that people didnt know :/
    Also if that team (mod 80's) could have played in Europe we'd rival RM in cups
    ( nearly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Raheem Sterling - 20+ years later - £600k.

One of Rafa's last gifts :pac:

There is a huge difference though Barnes was a proven player and full international at 24 and when you look at month later we bought Peter Beardsley for £1.9m.

• Advertisement

I envy this. The last two decades and more have completely knocked the optimism out of me....... .

I turned the corner last season :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

There is a huge difference though Barnes was a proven player and full international at 24 and when you look at month later we bought Peter Beardsley for £1.9m.

Weren't we lucky that Milan signed the wrong player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Weren't we lucky that Milan signed the wrong player.

Blissett did well out it money wise anyway lol. I think it is an Urban Legend to be honest. He wasin the England team at the time and doing well and finished as top goal scorer I think the season before.

But that was a good Watford team

Sad but true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Daniel Sturridge faces a race against time to be fit for the Merseyside derby later this month.

Scans have revealed that the Liverpool FC striker will be ruled out for two to three weeks due to the thigh injury he suffered on international duty.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/daniel-sturridge-race-against-time-7750990

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Better than three months in fairness! I really hate internationals :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

He'll be back fit just in time for the next international break :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

looking at that vid, he is a monster. Broke up play and won the ball on numerous occasions. He had some good tidy passing and nice assists...serious potential there if you ask me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

mada999 wrote: »
    looking at that vid, he is a monster. Broke up play and won the ball on numerous occasions. He had some good tidy passing and nice assists...serious potential there if you ask me...

Him, gerard and Hendo would be a very strong midfield 3, be good on a cold Tuesday night in stoke

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Loic Remy on Liverpool's treatment of him: 'I did not understand Liverpool's decision. It was not very honest from their side.' #LFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

djPSB wrote: »
    Loic Remy on Liverpool's treatment of him: 'I did not understand Liverpool's decision. It was not very honest from their side.' #LFC

Dont think anybody really does understand the clubs decision tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

djPSB wrote: »

Himself and Mo Salah can have a discussion on why they didn't sign for Liverpool.

It will while away the hours on the bench for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Often seems to be the thigh with Sturridge.

Thigh do you think that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

I was comparing 4/5 attacking players and I think it's a reasonable comparison given the ridiculous amount of goals we scored last season and the numbers of thrashings we doled out. .

Absolutely, and it's this present team that has me out looking to buy a TV,not having had one for many years!
    Football has a totally different landscape now. It's great seeing them take the fight to the new breed of money clubs with style while constrained with traditional budgeting values.
    The constant nail biting ads to the buzz, not being guaranteed anything makes attaining all the more exciting/praiseworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

And also listening to the late James Alexander Gordon who died last month, announcing the classified scores on sports report.
    Ah! I used to love listening to that, especially the exotically named lower division Scottish teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Dont think anybody really does understand the clubs decision tbh

I thought it was pretty clear.

Anyway, Balotelli is probably a better player anyway, so it worked out well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Great title to the article for the picture:

Q: Why is the iPhone 6 Plus a must-have for Man United fans?
    A: Because they can see their team in the Premier League table

article-2751151-2140078C00000578-445_308x295.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Ah! I used to love listening to that, especially the exotically named lower division Scottish teams.

Think there was a well known "Forfar 5 East Fife 4" result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Think there was a well known "Forfar 5 East Fife 4" result

Don't think that ever happened?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement