Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Some rumours going round that Sterling may be rested tomorrow and that the team will be

Mignolet, Manquillo, Lovren, Sakho, Moreno, Gerrard, Henderson, Lallana, Coutinho, Markovic, Ballotelli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Some rumours going round that Sterling may be rested tomorrow and that the team will be

Mignolet, Manquillo, Lovren, Sakho, Moreno, Gerrard, Henderson, Lallana, Coutinho, Markovic, Ballotelli.

I'd be happy with that team and if needed Sterling to come off the bench with 20 to go is a lot better bench than last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Ties in well with the spiel from Rodgers and the expectation levels on Sterling. Put him on the bench and let Markovic have a turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

West Ham U21s 0 - 4 Liverpool U21s

After all the first half excitement the second half was much quieter in terms of goal scoring chances then right at the death Ojo with his second from Kevin Stewarts assist.

Good match report in the Mail

1410554420178_wps_14_Sheyi_Ojo_of_Liverpool_at.jpg

Rossiter is in the match day squad for tomorrow, whether he actually makes the bench is another matter of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

West Ham U21s 0 - 4 Liverpool U21s

After all the first half excitement the second half was much quieter in terms of goal scoring chances then right at the death Ojo with his second from Kevin Stewarts assist.

Good match report in the Mail

1410554420178_wps_14_Sheyi_Ojo_of_Liverpool_at.jpg

Rossiter is in the match day squad for tomorrow, whether he actually makes the bench is another matter of course.

That's a great pic.
    I said it a couple of days ago but I still think Borini has a chance of starting beside Ballotelli if Rogers goes with two up front ahead of Lambert. Therein phew the question though, will we go with one or tso or one up top?
    I'd prefer the former on evidence to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

That's a great pic.
    I said it a couple of days ago but I still think Borini has a chance of starting beside Ballotelli if Rogers goes with two up front ahead of Lambert. Therein phew the question though, will we go with one or tso or one up top?
    I'd prefer the former on evidence to date.

I find it hard to believe that Borini will come into the team at the expense of Markovic or Lallana or Coutinho. Stranger things have happened but considering the money spent on the two former players, it would be very surprising to see Borini come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fescue wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that Borini will come into the team at the expense of Markovic or Lallana or Coutinho. Stranger things have happened but considering the money spent on the two former players, it would be very surprising to see Borini come in.

Well it all comes down to what system he thinks is best to face Villa. 2 up, or 1 up.

From the presser, it certainly sounded like Lambert won't be starting anyway, given the way Rodgers kind of ducked the question saying he'd definitely start the cup game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Rodgers said the best thing to do for borini was to leave amd get regular game time as sturridge balo and lambert are ahead of him so id be surprised if he even makes the bench, maybe he could go the way of henderson and fight his way back in to rodgers plans but theres alot of attackers already in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Cant see Sterling getting rested in his current form. No Sturridge up front, if we gave Markovic/Lallana/Balotelli all starts without Sterling we'd have teething issues imho. I could be totally wrong of course, but Villa give us problems at Anfield

By all means haul him off if we could kill it off early and ditto for the game Tuesday but i certainly wouldnt rest him by not starting him, have to rest him by subbing early. Well thats my view anyway.

• Advertisement

Those rumoured teams for the first 3 games have all been wrong afaik. Probably the same source?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Fescue wrote: »

I'm going on our 3 league games to date, and funnily enough the impact Lambert has had when coming on for a front 2.
    I'm guessing that Rogers would rather play with 2 up top but based on early evidence but I think tomorrow will be a big indicator of his plans for Borini. If Lambert gets in a front 2 tomorrow Borini might as well pack his bags.
    If it was Balotelli that was injured I'd put the house on Lambert starting beside Sturridge but if we start with one up top, that would show the lack of faith in Borini for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

First! ;)

Wow, no post in over 8 hours, that's gotta be a record for the thread?

Really hope we hit the ground running this evening, build on the result against Spurs. I too would be surprised if Borini's ahead of Lambert but I guess we'll know soon enough...

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

jasonb wrote: »

Wow, no post in over 8 hours, that's gotta be a record for the thread?

That is quite busy for a Friday/Saturday, I think we need more bannings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Grayditch wrote: »
    That is quite busy for a Friday/Saturday, I think we need more bannings.

Post reported for not being funny enough.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Gareth Bale inverview
    I think the most important thing is you feel it’s the right move. If you feel you’re going to play, then I would encourage a British player to go abroad. I’ve enjoyed every minute of it, the new culture, the new life. I felt like I wanted to challenge myself. It’s down to the player himself whether he can kick on.
    If you look at Raheem Sterling, I think he’s shown what a good player he is. He’s starting to perform more consistently. If he keeps working hard and doing what he’s doing then he’s going to keep progressing and the sky is his limit

foreboding-gandalf.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Real don't tend to sign black players, let alone anoint them one of their galacticos. Even the likes of Pepe and Marcelo are mixed race. Maybe something to do with their fascist heritage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

5b7e0fdd39178dc8d4148618607fc96fb8908a1ea62c04119630f50f349c4ce1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

sabat wrote: »
    Real don't tend to sign black players, let alone anoint them one of their galacticos. Even the likes of Pepe and Marcelo are mixed race. Maybe something to do with their fascist heritage?

Mindblownp1.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Spotted these gems in the club shop. How many do people want me to pick up for them? I'd say I could only carry 10 or so back with me so first come first served

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

x43r0 wrote: »
    Spotted these gems in the club shop. How many do people want me to pick up for them? I'd say I could only carry 10 or so back with me so first come first served

I love how out of breath Joe Cole is in that photo :rolleyes::pac:

• Advertisement

They are collector items should the prices not be going up :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

That's fairly typical of the club store, place is generally a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

I hope this isn't the calm before the (sh1t)storm later!

Like the good old days of meltdown Monday's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I'm feeling good about the game later. 2-0.

Mario and Hendo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭ratracer

I really think Sterling should be rested today!! ( Wilshere is my No.1 sub on FF) :D

ratracer wrote: »
    I really think Sterling should be rested today!! ( Wilshere is my No.1 sub on FF) :D

I'm sure Rodgers will keep that in mind when he's picking the team.

I'm sure Rodgers will keep that in mind when he's picking the team.

I hope so, it's for my greater good. ( unless Sterling scores a hat-trick!)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Even though early in the season, a draw is a good result for Liverpool in the Arsenal-City game.

5starpool wrote: »
    Even though early in the season, a draw is a good result for Liverpool in the Arsenal-City game.

Great game and great result. Now....to pass some time till 5:30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Good win later and we could climb to second. It's only day 4 but it's gunna be even tighter than last year, important to hang around the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Any result had an upside but I'm far from convinced we'll be in contention for the league. City and Chelsea look very strong.

Top 4 is our first port of call so I'd have slightly favoured Arsenal losing.

Still, based on what we've seen so far, I'm pretty confident that we'll finish ahead of them. Very lucky to knick a point today and I'd back a lot of the teams that are strong in midfield to be able to outfight them.

The only difference this season is that Sanchez has a bit of the sort of quality that can grab goals out of nothing. I'd imagine they'll still be bottom of that top 5 head to head table they showed before the game.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Gbear wrote: »
    Any result had an upside but I'm far from convinced we'll be in contention for the league. City and Chelsea look very strong.

Top 4 is our first port of call so I'd have slightly favoured Arsenal losing.

Still, based on what we've seen so far, I'm pretty confident that we'll finish ahead of them. Very lucky to knick a point today and I'd back a lot of the teams that are strong in midfield to be able to outfight them.

The only difference this season is that Sanchez has a bit of the sort of quality that can grab goals out of nothing. I'd imagine they'll still be bottom of that top 5 head to head table they showed before the game.

I'm not convinced we will be either, but the more clubs in contention that drop points the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Thanks to Turty and his box of Arsenal dolls and voodoo needles:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

ratracer wrote: »

Nah, I have Sterling in but anyway even if he's benched he will get on at some stage, so best just to start him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Jesus Swansea look dangerous so far this season.

Apart from Shelvey, he still gets the red mist when it comes to tackles.

Vicxas wrote: »

I think that just like Spurs and even Newcastle in the past, Swansea will go grand up to Christmas, but then fade after that as injuries take their toll on a fairly small squad. I'd like to see them do well, but as happened last year, Europa league is just too much for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Vicxas wrote: »

They just got "tonked" 4-2! ;) As good as Chelsea are up front with Costa they are letting goals in. That's 5 in the last two games as I type.

Spurs look as dodgy as they did under previous management, Everton winning but only playing WBA who are looking like a shoe in for relegation.

Interesting line up, we struggle against villa so hopefully we play well. Borni and lambert on the bench, suso in the doldrums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Thank Christ Benteke is still injured. Twice he played at Anfield and twice he absolutely tore our defence to pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

martyos121 wrote: »
    Thank Christ Benteke is still injured. Twice he played at Anfield and twice he absolutely tore our defence to pieces.

With Sakho and Lovren about though there is more physicality to deal with him though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

With Sakho and Lovren about though there is more physicality to deal with him though.

He's not playing though so no need to deal with him ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Roll on 2.30m. Mary Jane is trying to put me to sleep. This is hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

djPSB wrote: »
    He's not playing though so no need to deal with him ;)

Ya I know that but I wouldn't be as worried about him now as I would have been say two years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Ya I know that but I wouldn't be as worried about him now as I would have been say two years ago.

I don't think any team would be too worried about him now. A bad achilles injury like his is usually the beginning of the end for a footballer. He won't be the same player when he comes back, which is an awful shame, since he could have gone right to the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

They just got "tonked" 4-2! ;) As good as Chelsea are up front with Costa they are letting goals in. That's 5 in the last two games as I type.

Spurs look as dodgy as they did under previous management, Everton winning but only playing WBA who are looking like a shoe in for relegation.

If we let in 1 goal for the 2 we score ill take that for the rest of the season.

Defending is over rated anyway. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Another chance for Lovren and Sakho to show Rodgers that they are the best two centre-backs for the season. Hope they take it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

tomaussie wrote: »
    Roll on 2.30m. Mary Jane is trying to put me to sleep. This is hard work.

Fall asleep with Mary Jane?

3738675-6735624194-17940.jpg

You lucky bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Not a bad image to see first when opening the Liverpool thread:)

Fair to say lovren has not had a great start with us, poor from sakho too

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement