Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well that was just frustrating. A lot of new faces didn't help but Rodgers AGAIN playing the wrong formation and for no obviously good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

daithijjj wrote: »
    Cant see Sterling getting rested in his current form. No Sturridge up front, if we gave Markovic/Lallana/Balotelli all starts without Sterling we'd have teething issues imho. I could be totally wrong of course, but Villa give us problems at Anfield

By all means haul him off if we could kill it off early and ditto for the game Tuesday but i certainly wouldnt rest him by not starting him, have to rest him by subbing early. Well thats my view anyway.

Sadly, i was right on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Well that was just frustrating. A lot of new faces didn't help but Rodgers AGAIN playing the wrong formation and for no obviously good reason.

He has shown on a number of occasions that he can be tactically naive. That was absolutely diabolical. Three out of four games we have been awful; the only reason we beat Spurs is because they are oul'ones who fold easily.

Plenty needs to happen soon or this will be a disastrous season. We will be lucky to finish top 6 at this rate. ****ing fuming at that performance.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

You look forward to a game for nearly 2 weeks, and then get served up with that tripe.

Rubbish. 3 poor performances from 4 games, things need to get a bit more cohesive soon you'd think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

That was depressing, god awful stuff. Useless formation that doesn't work at all for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

very poor, naive to drop sterling , some awful awful performances.

Team is not in shape, more worrying we lacked heart today.

angry more than disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

daithijjj wrote: »
    Sadly, i was right on this.

on the money, played like strangers. There is no point to Borini. None. Lambert was never going to win us a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

I know we're gonna have teething problems with all these new additions but that was awful limp performance. 1 shot on target says it all. 6 points off the top already:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

He has shown on a number of occasions that he can be tactically naive. That was absolutely diabolical. Three out of four games we have been awful; the only reason we beat Spurs is because they are oul'ones who fold easily.

Plenty needs to happen soon or this will be a disastrous season. We will be lucky to finish top 6 at this rate. ****ing fuming at that performance.

Steady on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Looked like a team that didn't really know each other. Practically a replay of the Villa game last year. Only worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Very worried by that defeat and the utter lack of ideas from our new signings. Its the same old terrible defending but without the magic from Suarez to save us.

You can see when chelsea bought fab and costa and arsenal bought sanchez when you buy top quality you get players that hit the ground running. How we ended up with borini and lambert leading line when trying to save a point simply isnt good enough. Alot of new faces in the team today that cost alot of money and we barely registered a shot on taget. so poor its unreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

I'm a Rodgers fan but the decision to drop Sterling with Sturrîdge already out was just stupid.

We haven't played well with 4-3-3 all season. Surely it wasn't just me could see Lallana and Markovic off EARLY for Sterling and Lambert and a change to the diamond was the move to make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Keane will have enjoyed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Frustrating to watch.

Once again our Defense conceded a Poor Goal.

There wasn't any part in that Game, that you'd think we'd Score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Villa have had our number for a while now at Anfield. Deserved their victory for their defensive display.

Sakho's lack of ability on the ball gave away a cheap corner. How often do you see mistakes like that get punished.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

No Suarez or Sturridge to bail us out with a bit of magic today - when we concede the first goal and a team just sits back we don't have a clue

bodyblow of a result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

How class is that Markovic lad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Shocking stuff. Really really poor. The worst we've seen since something from Hodgson's era.

Sakho & Lovren have to improve really quickly or else we need go back into the market for a decent CB in Jan because despite spending over €40m on those two players & Johnson being out (he was apparently was the cause of many of our ills), we're worse than ever defensively :(

People in here spoke about Coutinho being as good as any similar player in the league, including the likes of Silva :confused: So cringeworthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Think Rodger's just got it wrong today.

Worrying thing for me was how toothless wee were up front. Total lack of creativity gave Villa keeper very little to do.

Still wish Borini was sold as well.

• Advertisement

Ah here, leave it out.

donfers wrote: »
    No Suarez or Sturridge to bail us out with a bit of magic today - when we concede the first goal and a team just sits back we don't have a clue

bodyblow of a result

We've spent how much this summer?

That's not an excuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Shocking stuff. Really really poor. The worst we've seen since something from Hodgson's era.

Sakho & Lovren have to improve really quickly or else we need go back into the market for a decent CB in Jan because despite spending over €40m on those two players & Johnson being out (he was apparently was the cause of many of our ills), we're worse than ever defensively :(

People in here spoke about Coutinho being as good as any similar player in the league, including the likes of Silva :confused: So cringeworthy

I knew you'd pop in here to hammer Sakho because of a defensive mistake but type team had plenty of time to recover But didn't score. Villa only had one other chance after that so that is good.

You do realise that there is no defence in the history of football that did not concede goals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

quite a pathetic performance in all honesty.

our gameplan is utterly dependent on the first goal. as soon as a team has something to hold on to we look frighteningly toothless.

Balotelli needs to get some energy too, quicksmart.

also, our defensive coaches need an absolute bollocking at this stage. simply unacceptable. (as well as the players, obviously)

extremely deflated after watching that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Possibly the worst performance I've seen under Rodgers, bereft of ideas from the 1st minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Benimar wrote: »
    I'm a Rodgers fan but the decision to drop Sterling with Sturrîdge already out was just stupid.

We haven't played well with 4-3-3 all season. Surely it wasn't just me could see Lallana and Markovic off EARLY for Sterling and Lambert and a change to the diamond was the move to make?

The decision to play Gerrard for 90 mins was equally baffling. Offered absolutely nothing and never does, imo, in these types of games.

Is it fair to say jury is still out on every one of our new signings?

Still get a **** attack every time we concede a corner. Neither of our CHs can carry the ball out of defence. Manquillo has to go back EVERY time. Lallana looked totally unfit, well at least I hope he was cos he was muck.

Also, those happy that Borini stayed, did you think he would rescue us today??

Top 4 a big ask this year imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

at least we dont have to wait a week till the next performance. champions league tuesday baby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Really starting to worry now that the BR project might have been a one season wonder, but we were only going to get worse without Suarez. Selling your star player never works out, just look at Tottenham, Dortmund and AC Milan (after they sold Zlatan and Silva).

Steady on.

Why? We've shown nothing this year so far and Rodgers has still not resolved the issues from last year regarding the defensive unit. We got lucky against Saints, bounced off by City and as soon as Villa scored today they just closed the game out; very easily I might add.

He tried to pigeon hole players into a formation today and rested our best player, when this game is more important than Tuesdays. There was no positives from today, not one. The season is up and running and there are plenty of teams who have a similar squad to us. Playing catch up is a tough thing to do. Away to West Ham next won't be a walk in the park and I expect them to get something from us.

I wouldn't be getting too panicky yet. It was the sort of disjointed performance you would expect from a team with 6 new players in it.

What I will say is that Borini and Sakho are not Liverpool quality players.

Both receive lots of love on this thread and both are really substandard.

Also, stats said one attempt on target but I reckon that was Coutinho's attempted pass. Think off the post is considered not on target. If thats the case and we had no attempt in 90mins then its a shocking stat. If anyone can remember the attempt on target I'd like to know.

• Advertisement

Hopefully Johnson returns a rejuvenated player. He couldn't possibly cross worse than Manquillo did today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

What a ****ing let down that was . Went into the break flying on a the back of a great win and performance against spurs . Sure we lose Sturridge & Alan to injury but sure we've got the depth to handle that now...don't we ? . Was gaggin for the footie to come back . Then that happens.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Twas fairly bad but some of the reactions in here are ott. They are our bogey team at Anfield just dust ourselves off and move on.

I'm not happy we are 6 points off the top already but we have a lot of new players to transition into the side.

rob316 wrote: »
    Twas fairly bad but some of the reactions in here are ott. They are our bogey team at Anfield just dust ourselves off and move on.

I'm not happy we are 6 points off the top already but we have a lot of new players to transition into the side.

Agree totally, some of the stuff in here is football phone in bad.

SlickRic wrote: »
    also, our defensive coaches need an absolute bollocking at this stage. simply unacceptable. (as well as the players, obviously)

Honestly, i question whether we have defensive coaches. If we do, genuinely, they should be sacked. They seem to have a knack of making players worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Ah lads it's early days yet...lots to be done but there is always hope!

Ah look it's grand so, I forgot they are our bogey side. Carry on.

rob316 wrote: »

Seriously, bogey team?? Ah that changes everything so :rolleyes:

Villa are at best a mid table team. They are missing arguably their best two players, Benteke and Vlaar and we couldn't get one shot on target.

careca wrote: »

Villa are at best a mid table team. They are missing arguably their best two players, Benteke and Vlaar and we couldn't get one shot on target.

So what should we do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

martyos121 wrote: »
    Really starting to worry now that the BR project might have been a one season wonder, but we were only going to get worse without Suarez. Selling your star player never works out, just look at Tottenham, Dortmund and AC Milan (after they sold Zlatan and Silva).

I'm not going to write him off as a one season wonder but I think he needs to realise that we are not good enough to willingly leave out our best available player. Especially when our best striker is also missing. I think he tried to look clever today but it blew up in his face. Resting players for Ludogorets makes no sense.

I also worry about the whole Gerrard thing. I don't think he's the man for that position in the real big games when we have a lot of defending to do. His strengths are his passing and set piece delivery. It's games like today he should shine in, but he was terrible. Coutinho even took over the corners Gerrards were so bad. If he's not going to do it in these games then he shouldn't have a guaranteed position in the team.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Were Villa that good or were Liverpool just inept?

Augmerson wrote: »

A little from column A and a lot from column B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Totally inept and lack of any ideas

Shambles of a performance on the pitch and an embarrassment by Rodgers today. Suarez replaced by class 2 players

Fescue wrote: »
    So what should we do?

Not play a holding midfielder who won't go past halfway line for 90 mins would be a start. Have the balls to take off Gerrard at half time.

Buy defenders who can defend corners when that arguably cost us the league last year.

Maybe I am overreacting, just pissed off about the performance really. Was looking forward to see Lallana, Markovic, etc but feel totally underawed after that.

Don't worry lads, QPR should cheer us right up tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

careca wrote: »

Don't worry, nobody else has really managed to against Villa yet either

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

What is it with football? Whole groups of fans can go from extremely optimistic to the most pessimistic point of view in the space of 90 mins.

Certainly nothing to be happy with tonight, really poor team performance and poor from Rodgers.

I actually didn't mind him resting Sterling. It wasn't long ago that people were saying he was being "mismanaged" due to how much he was used so it's good to see Rodgers is thinking ahead instead of just one match.

Can't say I was fully sure on what formation was being played. I assumed we were playing with Lallana and Markovic out wide but they seemed to be really central for the majority of the match. Markovic was pretty disappointing too.. he'll need to do a lot better next time around.

And yes.. I am still happy we have Borini. Are posters going to ask that question every time he starts/comes on?

For now.. time to move on from that and give a convincing performance on Tuesday.

Funny thing is.. we've actually 2 additional points on the same fixtures from last season.

Edit: Also.. I'm bloody sick of Villa at Anfield... Haven't beaten them in four years now!

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Suarez replaced by class 2 players

It's early, but it really does appear that way :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Villa attacked for the first 15 minutes, scored from a corner and pretty much sat back and defended for the rest of the game. Liverpool never really looked like scoring though. If they were there to midnight it would probably still have ended 1-0.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement