Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Sometimes football teams lose football games.

The important thing is to bounce back.

The next game is an ideal opportunity to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Hard to find any positives after that performance, looked like the chelsea game all over again, we just did'nt have any ideas when they sat so deep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Honestly, i question whether we have defensive coaches. If we do, genuinely, they should be sacked. They seem to have a knack of making players worse.

yup.

they've been blessed that we've had a penchant for scoring within 20 minutes most games.

remember, we'd more mistakes leading to goals than ANY team last season.

SlickRic wrote: »
    yup.

they've been blessed that we've had a penchant for scoring within 20 minutes most games.

remember, we'd more mistakes leading to goals than ANY team last season.

That's the major problem. Sakho is a mistake waiting to happen everytime he receives the ball under pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Fescue wrote: »
    That's the major problem. Sakho is a mistake waiting to happen everytime he receives the ball under pressure.

The major problem today was we had ~80% possession and Guzan never made a save...not one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

The manager got it wrong, end of.

Said it last night, you cant just rest Sterling in this form, if you want to rest him you simply do less training or take him off early (if you have that luxury of a lead). We're not exactly playing top quality midweek either, made zero sense to me.

3 new at the back, 3 new up front. You cant just parachute new players into a team and expect the same level. You'd have a hard time with 2 new players, nevermind 6. It doesnt matter how much you spend, United will have the same issues for example. Many teams have this issue when the turnover of personnel is too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Villa attacked for the first 15 minutes, scored from a corner and pretty much sat back and defended for the rest of the game. Liverpool never really looked like scoring though. If they were there to midnight it would probably still have ended 1-0.

And then kicked all around them, how Sendatoss got away with all his kicks on Mario is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

mrsoundie wrote: »
    And then kicked all around them

There were about 4 Villa fouls all game ffs

COYVB wrote: »

To be fair Senderos should have been red carded in the first half. Hutton could have went for two wreckless challenges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

COYVB wrote: »

I was waiting of the myopic comment of the evening, welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Note to self: do not,under any circumstances watch the Villa game at Anfield next season...life's too ****in short.

daithijjj wrote: »

Said it last night, you cant just rest Sterling in this form, if you want to rest him you simply do less training or take him off early (if you have that luxury of a lead). We're not exactly playing top quality midweek either, made zero sense to me.

3 new at the back, 3 new up front. You cant just parachute new players into a team and expect the same level. You'd have a hard time with 2 new players, nevermind 6. It doesnt matter how much you spend, United will have the same issues for example. Many teams have this issue when the turnover of personnel is too much.

The problem was he needed to play Henderson alongside Gerrard to avoid a repeat of what happened to him last year.

Unfortunately we don't seem to play well with two deep midfielders.

Not sure Sterling would have made a massive difference today. Didn't do much when he came on.

To be fair Senderos should have been red carded in the first half. Hutton could have went for two wreckless challenges.

Which two for Hutton? IIRC the second one you're referring to he won the ball.

Senderos' trip on Balotelli was ridiculous though, but hardly constitutes kicking all around him. He was niggling the crap out of Mario, and there was no need for it, but Villa were nothing approaching dirty in that game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Couldn't of said it better. Spurs tried the same last year and looked like strangers. I'm confident rodgers won't experiment like that again.

mrsoundie wrote: »
    I was waiting of the myopic comment of the evening

I'm not sure what you were waiting for, you're the one who made it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

What was Sakho playing at giving away a cheap corner for their goal?! Fk sake, use you right to knock it back to the keeper or use your left to knock it out for a throw! Don't dawdle on it !! Our centre backs were very poor all day in possession. Don't know why they didn't carry it out of defence themselves, there was about ten yards of space in front on them every time they got the ball....nah, I'll play a 5 yard pass to someone who's facing their own goal and who's marked instead...infuriating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sakho giving away a corner, Lovren's headless marking, Gerrard sitting to deep and hollywood passing Brendan Rodgers getting it wrong again.

A back 4 who have only played together once before a front 3 who never played together before.

Not playing 2 up front.

There was so much wrong from that game.

Defensive coaches need to replaced or put in place if there is none.

Brendan Rodgers needs to try and stop being so clever in league games leave that to the League and FA cup games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Lallana should have went for diving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Is Steve Clarke looking for a job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

astonaidan wrote: »

In fairness he hopped up straight away and never appealed for anything so I think a card would have been fairly harsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Indeed. Ref actually went for his book before realising he'd already given him a yellow. Should have gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Shocking stuff. Really really poor. The worst we've seen since something from Hodgson's era.

Nah, Kennys era! ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

The problem was he needed to play Henderson alongside Gerrard to avoid a repeat of what happened to him last year.

Unfortunately we don't seem to play well with two deep midfielders.

Not sure Sterling would have made a massive difference today. Didn't do much when he came on.

I dont think Rodgers is due all the blame. We have a few injuries and his hand was forced somewhat but..........you cant lose Sturridge, moan about losing a form player (which he is right to) and then compound that yourself with resting Sterling.

There's simply no way he would have rested Sturridge if he was fit so why Sterling?. There was a bit of naivety and splash of arrogance with the selection. Sometimes you need to step out from the team you see every day training and see the bigger picture. Many of the players looked like they had never played with each other, because they havent.

The last highlighted point you made isnt valid for me. He couldnt do anything because Villa were playing for the 0-1 before he came on. That's why i said last night he had to start, and, if the luxury was there with a nice lead, then haul him off early and bring on a new player to the club with no pressure to perform out the gate. The game would have been open at the start, a 'place' that Sterling would have reveled in, not a closed door.

Man of the match one week, rested the next, that will never work in my eyes. Give him an extra day off during the week if we are concerned about tiredness.

One final point id like to make. You said he needed to play Henderson beside Gerrard, i agree with you. But that would mean we both know that Rodgers was setting us up from a position of knowing Villa would cause us big problems. This just reiterates the point about resting our best in form player.

Simply a very poor decision by Rodgers tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Fairly ott posts here since the game, bad game to experiment in considering villa always play well v us and it failed, Rodgers got it wrong again. No more 4231 ever again please not while Gerard is a starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I understand the point daithijjj but it's not exactly as easy as just saying give him a day off training and he'll be grand.

He was away and played 2 full matches. Some days these decisions work and others they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

martyos121 wrote: »
    Hopefully Johnson returns a rejuvenated player. He couldn't possibly cross worse than Manquillo did today.

No no no, Moreno & Manquillo were the least of our problems today.

Manquillo had a good game.

He got it wrong is an understatement.

He took so long to even change it around ffs.

No Suarez to bail Rodgers out this season and I think it's gonna be a difficult season for him tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

In fairness he hopped up straight away and never appealed for anything so I think a card would have been fairly harsh.
    He got up straight away cause he knew he was screwed if he didnt, was a obvious dive and should have gone, not a fan off the whole cant touch Sterling rule either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

rarnes1 wrote: »

No Suarez to bail Rodgers out this season and I think it's gonna be a difficult season for him tbh

I don't have the facts but I believe Sturridges goals won us more points last season no? Bit of a doomsday post in any case. 4 games in is all lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Knee jerk at its best tbh.......as is calling players signed chancers like you did in the match thread....

4 games too small of a sample size....some people like yourself need to get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

He got up straight away cause he knew he was screwed if he didnt, was a obvious dive and should have gone, not a fan off the whole cant touch Sterling rule either

He clearly fell over and got straight back up. That did not look in the slightest like a dive.

4 ****ing games it's been lads seriously some of the comments in here are cringe. It's a bad day at the office against a team who have our number for a few seasons now.
    Rodgers got it wrong he will have known just like he admitted to getting it wrong last year in his pre match interview.

I thought lallana looked good today and the two full backs were fairly solid.

Sterling has to play just like suarez did last year you don't rest your best player.

If we are down the table after 10 games ill start to worry not till then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Watching the build up to the match today you would swear Lallana was Zidane the English media do love to over rate there players, a poor mans Nick Barmby.

tok9 wrote: »
    I understand the point daithijjj but it's not exactly as easy as just saying give him a day off training and he'll be grand.

He was away and played 2 full matches. Some days these decisions work and others they don't.

Brendan made his own point the other day about a 'recovery' day for Sturridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Brendan made his own point the other day about a 'recovery' day for Sturridge.

Yes and that was regarding how individual players are different and methods of reducing the risk of an injury.

For one thing that doesn't apply across the board and for another, it was only a year ago that Sturridge was left on the bench after international duty and came on against Everton.

Edit: I don't necessarily disagree with you regarding leaving him on the bench considering we already lost Sturridge. But it's the kind of thing that will happen a lot this season with the additional fixtures and the size of our squad now. Again, I just didn't work out at all today for us.

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Lallana is a poor mans Nick Barmby. Another over rated English player.
    Watching the build up to the match today you would swear Lallana was Zidane the English media do love to over rate there players, a poor mans Nick Barmby.

How many times do you want to make the same point? It was his first game for a new club. Give it a rest.

Everytime Sakho has the ball at his feet he reminds me of this

IHzP0.gif

He really is awkward looking on the ball!

That's your 2nd time saying that today. Didn't you get enough attention the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I hope this is your year. I firmly believe lallana was money well spent...

I hope this is your year. I firmly believe lallana was money well spent...

He will be of all our signings I'm most confident in him. Lovely touch and footwork he has, decent eye for goal too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

rob316 wrote: »
    That's your 2nd time saying that today. Didn't you get enough attention the first time.

He is over rated tho. Decent player but not all hes cracked up to be.

He is over rated tho. Decent player but not all hes cracked up to be.

Ye have the pick of overrated English players in wilshere.
    Oh and shocker sky hyping up an English player, most of realise he isn't a world beater just a very good player.
    Calling him a poor mans Barmby is either childish or you have very poor football knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Didn't take much for people to start turning on the team and Rodgers. I just don't understand why Rodgers doesn't understand that he just needs to win every game.

Yeah that's the 2nd time you've said that today. We got it the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

When you sell a player of Luis Suarez quality, you need to replace him with same.

Liverpool should have spent the money on Falcao. Or someone in the class of Di Maria or Sanchez.

This is why Liverpool won't win the league for another 25 years.

When you sell a player of Luis Suarez quality, you need to replace him with same.

Liverpool should have spent the money of Falcao. Or someone in the class of Di Maria or Sanchez.

Oh dear. They are all out this evening.

Liverpool should have spent the money of Falcao. Or someone in the class of Di Maria or Sanchez.

For gods sake, if you want to come in here and twist the knife, at least make an effort.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Knee jerk at its best tbh.......as is calling players signed chancers like you did in the match thread....

4 games too small of a sample size....some people like yourself need to get a grip.

It could well be too small a sample size but for me we have lost the cutting edge.

Last season we had a dodgy defence and an incredible strike force.

This season so far we still have the former and missing the latter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

For gods sake, if you want to come in here and twist the knife, at least make an effort.

What are you taking about?

How many world class players do Liverpool have? I actually think Rogers is one of the best young mangers in the world.

So a world class player shouldn't be replaced with another world class player? Liverpool were a whisker away from the league title last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

This thread is just mental. Never fails to disappoint after a defeat.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement