Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It could well be too small a sample size but for me we have lost the cutting edge.

Last season we had a dodgy defence and an incredible strike force.

This season so far we still have the former and missing the latter

Time is needed, 1 game we have had our first choice striker pairing for and it looked good and we played as well as last season.

Something like 9 new players many are young, they can't all be expected to hit the ground running.

It was a shocking result but a bit of perspective is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Sakho was terrible for the long ball that lead to the corner. It's time to cut our losses with him. He's awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

doc_17 wrote: »
    Sakho was terrible for the long ball that lead to the corner. It's time to cut our losses with him. He's awful.

He reminds me of Bobo Balde.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

today is not the end of the world, but three things stand out:

1. as I feared, we're going to be amazingly reliant on Sterling if we're not very careful.

2. if we don't start quickly, and the opposition settles, we invariably look poor.

3. our defence is worse than the sum of its parts. Sakho and Lovren are excellent defenders, and have proved it elsewhere, but seem to look fairly fragile and indecisive. some monster work is needed.

I don't rate Sakho at all he looks so awkward with the ball at his feet there is no way rodgers bought him. Lovren and skrtel is the way forward when he is back fit, they could build a very good partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

SlickRic wrote: »

3. our defence is worse than the sum of its parts. Sakho and Lovren are excellent defenders, and have proved it elsewhere, but seem to look fairly fragile and indecisive. some monster work is needed.

Maybe Rodgers is just not a good defensive coach. It doesn't seem to matter who we put back there. They all seem to make mistakes. Lovren and Sakho are first choice for Croatia and France respectively. They can't be bad defenders but they seem to look it at times with Liverpool.

rob316 wrote: »
    I don't rate Sakho at all he looks so awkward with the ball at his feet there is no way rodgers bought him. Lovren and skrtel is the way forward when he is back fit, they could build a very good partnership.

If I was the opposition manager I would target Sakho. Play the ball into his area and get on him and pressure him. He is liable to do something silly. No other top side has a defender who is so technically poor. He can play a decent pass but Djimi Traore was a better footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Some incredible comments in here tbh. Shocking performance but our new players will need time to settle in. I thought taking off Balotelli was a poor substition though.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Some incredible comments in here tbh. Shocking performance but our new players will need time to settle in. I thought taking off Balotelli was a poor substition though.

Stomach bug meant he missed training during the week. I thought he looked spent when he came off.

• Advertisement

Fescue wrote: »
    Stomach bug meant he missed training during the week. I thought he looked spent when he came off.
    Borini did not have a clue what to do when he came om

MD1990 wrote: »
    Borini did not have a clue what to do when he came om

Has he ever looked like he knew what he was doing when he plays?

Bor-utal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I must have fallen asleep and woken up in June 2015 because going by the last few pages the league seems to be over for us.

Toys all over the floor. Get a fucking grip lads. Yes it was an awful performance but it happens. Stoke beat City a fortnight ago ffs. It happens and will happen again.

There was exactly the same reaction after the Hull (I think) game last season yet things didn't pan out too badly. I know every point is important but we'll lose games. So will everyone else.

I'm very surprised Rossie hasn't been in to tell us how shit everything is. Not like him to miss an opportunity to twist the knife.

I would not like to see that formation anytime soon either. If Gerrard plays we are much more effective with Henderson and Allen ahead of him. Henderson is too restricted in a 4-2-3-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

I must have fallen asleep and woken up in June 2015 because going by the last few pages the league seems to be over for us.

Toys all over the floor. Get a fucking grip lads. Yes it was an awful performance but it happens. Stoke beat City a fortnight ago ffs. It happens and will happen again.

There was exactly the same reaction after the Hull (I think) game last season yet things didn't pan out too badly. I know every point is important but we'll lose games. So will everyone else.

I'm very surprised Rossie hasn't been in to tell us how shit everything is. Not like him to miss an opportunity to twist the knife.

3 out of 4 performances have been very poor. That's my argument. However I agree it is still early, but worrying signs IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Bleugh. Was on a plane during the game and had it saved for when I got back.

Was really looking forward to seeing how we got on but you can't just throw a decent bunch of players together and have it click instantly.

An awful result, game and performance.

• Advertisement

Don't see what the problem is pointing out the deficiencies of the team tbh. It's hardly calling for sackings.

Excusing muck performances is worse imo

We need to play a 4-4-2 diamond most of the time . Coutinho getting some criticism but he was our only real threat in the 2nd half.Against Ludogorets I would go

_____________Mignolet___________
    Manquillo___Skrtel____Lovren___Moreno
    _____________Gerrard____________
    _____Henderson_______Coutinho____
    _____________Lallana____________
    ________Balotelli_____Sterling______

Don't see what the problem is pointing out the deficiencies of the team tbh. It's hardly calling for sackings.

Who are the chancers you were talking about though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

You simply have to question the manager's judgement of players.
    He is the one who makes the ultimate decisions on who to sign.Spending
    20 million on the likes of Lovren is astonishing.The Saints are laughing all the way
    to the bank.

I agree but you called the new players chancers. That's knee jerk not constructive criticism.

• Advertisement

Your not doing that though. Your having a knee jerk reaction to a very poor performance by calling our new players chancers. Give them some time ffs. Your embarrasing yourself tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

chicorytip wrote: »
    20 million on the likes of Lovren is astonishing.The Saints are laughing all the way
    to the bank.

No excuses.

Receiving £65m for Suarez and not buying a Diego Costa, Alexis Sanchez or a Radamel Falcao is not going to win you the league.

No excuses.

Receiving £65m for Suarez and not buying a Diego Costa, Alexis Sanchez or a Radamel Falcao is not going to win you the league.

I can guarantee you the teams who brought in Sanchez and Falcao won't be winning the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

chicorytip wrote: »
    to the bank.

The one thing I have learned from this thread is all the so called bad players signed were the transfer committees fault and all the players that work out were Brendan Rodgers choices.

Thought Markovic had a mixed game. There was no space back there to run in behind but he took the wrong option a few too many times. Then you see that he is a lad who is only 9 months older than Sterling and is starting his first game in a new league. Needs time.

I can guarantee you the teams who brought in Sanchez and Falcao won't be winning the league.

I agree (this season), but those teams are heading in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

very poor today and although I understand why rodgers rested sterling today wasnt the day for it. We are all about attacking with pace and with sturridge out sterling had to play. When the first 4 fixtures came out id have expected 7 pts from the first 4 its a shame as 9 pts would have been a great start from our first 4 fixtures. Wouldnt be passing too much judgement on the new players yet but I havent been overly impressed with markovic to date.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Go discuss them in there teams threads so!

No excuses.

Went for Sanchez. His wife wanted London.
    Could have afforded a fee for Falcao but no way would the club pay those wages.
    Costa to Chelsea was probably inevitable from a long way out. And again they could offer London and probably higher wages too if it came to a bidding war.

3 out of 4 performances have been very poor. That's my argument. However I agree it is still early, but worrying signs IMO.

We were rubbish this time last year as well. Scraping 1-0 wins and not appearing for second halves. We were putting points on the board but we were crap. It'll take a bit of time I think.

@rarnes I'm not excusing **** performances...I'm just saying they happen to every team.

At least we don't have to wait a week to put it right...seems we're playing in some champions cup league or something on Tues. Might be worth a watch.

• Advertisement

Don't you worry, Liverpool are going in the right direction. With a manager who has a lot of room to improve and the energy to do so.

Those other teams have old men whose best days are behind them.

Go discuss them in there teams threads so!

No I won't.

I'm arguing Liverpool should have bought a player of that quality.

No I won't.

I'm arguing Liverpool should have bought a player of that quality.

Balotelli?

Don't you worry, Liverpool are going in the right direction. With a manager who has a lot of room to improve and the energy to do so.

Those other teams have old men whose best days are behind them.

You know that's rubbish talk.

How so?

We don't know anything of the sort.

Balotelli?

He was a good buy at £16m, worth the risk.

I wouldn't put him in the same class as Diego Costa, Sanchez or Falcao.

The one thing I have learned from this thread is all the so called bad players signed were the transfer committees fault and all the players that work out were Brendan Rodgers choices.

Not really but it is plain as day to see someone like Sakho is not a rodgers player.

Who are the chancers you were talking about though?

Balotelli and Lambert are not adequate replacements for Suarez. Calling them chancers was a knee jerk post game comment tbh.

However I feel we'll regret taking so many transfer risks this summer imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Missed the second half today, any better than the first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Balotelli and Lambert are not adequate replacements for Suarez. Calling them chancers was a knee jerk post game comment tbh.

However I feel we'll regret taking so many transfer risks this summer imo

We don't have the money to spend on one single outstanding player. We had and probably still have a lot of defencies in the team and squad and spending a massive amount of money will only be done if the risk of failure is small.

6 new players in the team since last season and they will need time to gel. We have lost a huge talent and replaced him with a range of different and talented young players. Its the sensible option on the way back to rebuilding the club.

The manager probably erred in the formation today but not in resting Sterling. We complained last year that he wad overused at times. I would prefer to drop points while resting Sterling than gain them while increasing the long term risk to him. We don't want another Owen scenario, or do we?

5live wrote: »
    We don't have the money to spend on one single outstanding player. We had and probably still have a lot of defencies in the team and squad and spending a massive amount of money will only be done if the risk of failure is small.

6 new players in the team since last season and they will need time to gel. We have lost a huge talent and replaced him with a range of different and talented young players. Its the sensible option on the way back to rebuilding the club.

The manager probably erred in the formation today but not in resting Sterling. We complained last year that he wad overused at times. I would prefer to drop points while resting Sterling than gain them while increasing the long term risk to him. We don't want another Owen scenario, or do we?

All well and good but we have spent a lot of money this season and a poor season won't cut it. Improvement is needed asap.

As for resting Sterling, how long do you think he'll actually be at Liverpool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I fear the worst, Ballotelli is going to get kicked all season long until he snaps. I think it's evitable. Poor buy by Rodgers. Whether we like it or not, he will grab all the headlines for the wrong reasons this season. It will not help the new team to gel. From 2nd last season after blowing a golden opportunity, I think we are back in chasing 4th and it will be a struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Red Pepper wrote: »
    I fear the worst, Ballotelli is going to get kicked all season long until he snaps. I think it's evitable. Poor buy by Rodgers. Whether we like it or not, he will grab all the headlines for the wrong reasons this season. It will not help the new team to gel. From 2nd last season after blowing a golden opportunity, I think we are back in chasing 4th and it will be a struggle.

Have you next weeks lotto numbers as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

We're going to have to play a lot better than that if we're going to retain our title.

• Advertisement

Suarez was kicked around the place too, all top players will be. The difference was he was top class. Ballotelli is imo a millions miles from that.

Suarez was kicked around the place too, all top players will be. The difference was he was top class. Ballotelli is imo a millions miles from that.

Exactly but everybody knows that Ballotelli only plays when he feels like it. Suarez has much more hunger and was trying to rebuild his reputation after disgracing himself, we know now he also wanted the move to Spain. I don't think Ballotelli cares about anything as long as he is getting well paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

#BlameMario

hefferboi wrote: »
    Have you next weeks lotto numbers as well?

Ask me in May. Actually I bet he does something really stupid by January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

All well and good but we have spent a lot of money this season and a poor season won't cut it. Improvement is needed asap.

As for resting Sterling, how long do you think he'll actually be at Liverpool?
    A long time yet, i reckon.

He is only 19, still growing and developing. He is nowhere near a finished product and, imo, will not be for 2-3 years yet. Why would he go to sit on Madrids or Barcas bench? Also, if overplayed like Owen, he will be injured more and worth less to us either as a player or a saleable asset.

I agree that improvement is needed but not at the expense of stunting what could be our best player. There are problems evident defensively at the club since Rodgers took over. Hopefully improving the quality of the 3 new defenders over those they replaced will take us a long way towards a solution but i haven't seen Rodgers being overly concerned with the lack of cohesion between whatever 2 CBs he has picked thus far and that concerns me greatly.

It looks like a lot of teams will park the bus against us this year and it will be interesting to see what solutions Rodgers will try to pick them open.

Its going to be an intetesting season again:-)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement