Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Gbear wrote: »
    That didn't magically fix everything though.

It still took half the season for it to click.

We were top though on Christmas day? Obviously our post new years form was better, but Suarez had scored about 20 goals by Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Last year we had Suarez still to come in at this stage.

This year we have a load of new players still to bed in, plus the likes of Lallana and Balotelli to get to full match fitness as well.

Sturridge to come back too.

I'm not panicking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Last year we had Suarez still to come in at this stage.

We did but he wasn't the only player to step it up last season. Most of the players played out of their skin last season and I'd expect to see the same this season. If they don't then I'll be as critical as anyone here but the collective losing of marbles yesterday was kinda funny. We're still up on points on the same fixtures last season so no need to panic after 4 games.

And this is coming from someone that panics if there's no coffee in the house in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Not watching it but bordeaux are 2 down already and its still the first half and ilori is playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

5starpool wrote: »
    We were top though on Christmas day? Obviously our post new years form was better, but Suarez had scored about 20 goals by Christmas.

With Suarez supposedly at his top form, we lost 3 games out of 7 in December. There were also 2 disappointing draws to Newcastle and Everton as well as a pretty weak performance away to Arsenal.

Given how Suarez relatively speaking went off the boil in the 2nd half of the season, clearly the form of Coutinho and Sterling and the consistently match-winning performances of Sturridge were a huge part of what we did.

Suarez's form obviously helped before we got that going to keep our points ticking over, but the leap forward came when all of our attack clicked - not just when Suarez was tearing **** up.

It's hard to factor in the intangible effect of Suarez drawing defenders onto him and clearly we're worse off, but how good a season we're going to have, with or without someone like Suarez, is heavily dependant on all of our attackers and not just one superstar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Looking forward to playing qpr, for all united good play qpr are leaving spaces you could drive a bus through. Hate to say it but di maria looks sensational.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

rob316 wrote: »
    Looking forward to playing qpr, for all united good play qpr are leaving spaces you could drive a bus through. Hate to say it but di maria looks sensational.

Signing ready made, world class game changers will get them top 4 IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

rob316 wrote: »

Seeing as he was bought for close to the cost of bailing out our banks, he would want to be;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

martyos121 wrote: »
    Don't worry lads, QPR should cheer us right up tomorrow!

sGx39yA.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Missed the game but hoping to catch it on LFC TV later, how did Markovic, Lallana and Mario fare?

• Advertisement

bleach94 wrote: »
    Missed the game but hoping to catch it on LFC TV later, how did Markovic, Lallana and Mario fare?

Do yourself a favour, don't watch it.

bleach94 wrote: »

I wouldn't bother mate its pure tripe. Markovic was awful mario not much better. Lallana was decent I thought though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

what was the story with the serious lack of urgency yesterday? twas like a preseason game as p as et from the odd rash challenge. really liking more no, surprised to see him settle so quickly. A bit suspect defensively at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Moreno, I think, has potential to be one of the best full backs in the league. He was the one signing I wanted this Summer, other than a proper dogged centre midfielder. The way we play, you need 2 solid full backs who can bomb forward when we break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Markovic for me was an unneccesary signing imo. We have Sterling & Ibe both very young. We should have signed a player who had a better goalscoring record rather than another prospect. Griezmann would have been perfect imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

LOAN WATCH

Texieria - 75 mins for Brighton & HA, set up a goal in 3-2 away defeat
    Wisdom - (West Brom) Full game in 0-2 defeat to Everton
    Alberto - Played 56 mins for Malaga in 0-0 draw with Lavente (Nabil El Zhar came on for away side two mins later!)
    Ibe - on bench for Derby came on for last 25 mins or so (first appearance) 1-1 draw.
    Origi - Started Lille game and scored a goal and set up another in 2-0 win which puts them top of Ligue 1
    Smith - Played 90 mins as left back in 1-2 away win for Swindon Town.
    Ilori - Played 90 mins for Bordeaux in 2-1 away defeat (that's his first appearance for them)
    Ossiadi - played last 10 for Stoke in 0-1 defeat to Leicester City
    Coates - no game for Sunderland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

LOAN WATCH

Texieria - 75 mins for Brighton & HA, a set up a goal in 3-2 away defeat
    Wisdom - (West Brom) Full game in 0-2 defeat to Everton
    Alberto - Played 56 mins for Malaga in 0-0 draw with Lavente (Nabil El Zhar came on for away side two mins later!)
    Ibe - on bench for Derby came on for last 25 mins or so
    Origi - Started Lille game and scored a goal and set up another
    Smith - Played 90 mins as left back in 1-2 away win for Swindon Town.
    Ilori - Played 90 mins for Bordeaux in 2-1 away defeat
    Ossiadi - played last 10 for Stoke in 0-1 defeat to Leicester City
    Coates - no game for Sunderland

Origi looked brilliant today, caught a bit of the match on a stream. Can't wait to see him in a Liverpool shirt.

Origi looked brilliant today, caught a bit of the match on a stream. Can't wait to see him in a Liverpool shirt.

That's good to know, I'd carp its a pity about having to loan him back but that was the deal and if he is as good as most think he can be then it'll be a good one.

Just read that Ludorgets are down to their third keeper for the CL game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just read that Ludorgets are down to their third keeper for the CL game.

You just know now he is going to have one of those superman goalkeeper games against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't be any excuses. If we can't beat Ludorgets at home with plenty to spare, we won't be going anywhere near the knockout stages.

• Advertisement

The important thing with the Ludo game is not to take any unnecessary risks in the team selection. Play the diamond with Balotelli and Lambert up front, Lallana in behind, and a three man midfield of Gerrard, Henderson and Coutinho. Skrtel and Sakho in defence and the fullbacks pick themselves at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

You just know now he is going to have one of those superman goalkeeper games against us.
    As long as they keep their centerhalf away from the goalkeeping, we will be fine.

The important thing with the Ludo game is not to take any unnecessary risks in the team selection. Play the diamond with Balotelli and Lambert up front, Lallana in behind, and a three man midfield of Gerrard, Henderson and Coutinho. Skrtel and Sakho in defence and the fullbacks pick themselves at this stage.

Sterling? After that fiasco yesterday surely he will start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Is there a reason for no sterling?

Lol, haven't got a clue how I forgot Sterling. I was thinking about him alongside Balo as a striker, but I thought it was too much of a risk. Sterling behind the strikers, drop Lallana, and that's it fixed then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Lol, haven't got a clue how I forgot Sterling. I was thinking about him alongside Balo as a striker, but I thought it was too much of a risk. Sterling behind the strikers, drop Lallana, and that's it fixed then.

Lallana must start IMO.

Sterling for Markovic.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Lallana must start IMO.

Sterling for Markovic.

If we play the diamond, there's no room for Lallana OR Markovic, and after the Villa "performance" (hate to even call it that), we shouldn't go near that system ever again, no matter who our new signings are. Lallana is a best used as a winger, and Coutinho has the quality to unlock a defence when the game is played through him.

----Fr Time
    Hendo--Lallana
    ----Sterling
    Lambert--Balo

----Fr Time
    Hendo--Lallana
    ----Sterling
    Lambert--Balo

I think that will be our best option for Tuesday, indeed in most games (putting Sturridge back in for Lambert of course).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

5live wrote: »
    Seeing as he was bought for close to the cost of bailing out our banks, he would want to be;-)

Feeling bad ye couldn't afford him???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

MD1990 wrote: »
    Markovic for me was an unneccesary signing imo. We have Sterling & Ibe both very young. We should have signed a player who had a better goalscoring record rather than another prospect. Griezmann would have been perfect imo.

Jaysus it was his first start ever and he probably doesn't have a word of english, let him settle first, he is one of the highest rated youngsters in europe too apparently. Rodgers is a very good coach so im looking forward to his development.

Some people on twitter saying hes apparently suspended for tuesday, he got sent off for a sideline scuffle v juve in the europa last season and missed the final so im assuming he picked up a 3 game ban for? Can is also suspended not that it makes any difference as he is injured. Maybe suso will be on the bench.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Feeling bad ye couldn't afford him???

No, we don't. We have a group of team players who play for each other.
    Ye have a squad of glorified mercenaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

I would have thought all utd fans would be too busy getting pissed and smoking cigars after finally managing a W today!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I would have thought all utd fans would be too busy getting pissed and smoking cigars after finally managing a W today!

Most of them seem more worried about other teams rather than there own!

Most of them seem more worried about other teams rather than there own!
    Kettle and pot. Sure ye have next year

• Advertisement

You are a Manchester United fan, posting in a Liverpool thread.
    The irony in your post is incredible.

No, we don't. We have a group of team players who play for each other.
    Ye have a squad of glorified mercenaries.

Ya ya ya. Poor old Liverpool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Someone's had a few shandys celebrating there first win of the season today.

We are above you in the league.
    We are playing Champions League football this season.
    We are still in the League Cup.
    We didn't lose 4-0 to League 1 opposition.

Please stop, you're making this way too easy for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Dat post tho

o0GQK.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

One win against a side spurs beat 4-0 and these cringeworthy posters come out of the woodwork. Even in victory today yee are still talking and worrying about liverpool. Roll on the champions league mid week... enjoy looking on buddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Lads, don't rise to it.

I can smell the fear. Next year lads. Next year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Lads, don't rise to it.

No Francie this is what we do we are Liverpool we

riseup400.jpg

ps anytime I read your username I think of the Butcher Boy and Francie Brady and the Francie Brady not a bad bastard award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Okay , moving on, did Rarnes mention names of players not fit to wear the jersey or has he calmed down since!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭ratracer

Probably shouldn't but anyway:

Enjoy Eastenders on Tuesday:D

I can smell the fear. Next year lads. Next year

bml.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

delaney001 wrote: »
    Is there a reason for no sterling?

Sterling should be sent out on loan :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Am I the only one that saw something in Lazar? I reckon he will prove to be worth every penny by the end of this season.
    Actually there seems to be rumblings to idea that Rodgers spent very poorly this summer, so I thought I give my opinions on the new signings.

Manquillo - looks to be a very able right back. Good speed which helps him in recovery, nice touch, gets forward which give the option for those long switches of play, as a bit of strength but needs to watch a few vids of Finnan crossing the ball. Looks good for the outlay.
    Moreno - at fault for a goal in his debut but has been excellent part from that. Good speed, nice touch, gets forward very well, capable in a fast passing game and has a bit of aggression to his game. Looks to be an excellent signing so far.
    Lambert - helped us when the team was struggling against Southampton and should have scored in that game. Looks like he will fit into the style of play easily and can give the team a new impetus from the bench. Needs to score soon for his confidence and if he gets 5-7 league goals he will be a smart signing.
    Lallana - looked smart yesterday. Great technique to get that shot away and a nice of bit of footwork on a few occasions. Far too early to tell however but I'm confident he will prove to be a good but over the next 2-3 years.
    Mario - less impressive yesterday than on his debut and so far only okay. Not showing enough energy up front and like Lambert needs to score soon. I'm hopeful he will prove to be an astute signing for 16million. I think 10-15 goals would be a good return in the league.
    Lovern - does some nice stuff and looks at times to be a very good defender but then he also suffers from the Liverpool defensive malady at times. Defence is a worry already this year.
    Lazar - not enough game time to say either way so far but I see some directness in his play with the ball at his feet that could prove to be a valuable asset over the season. I think he will be an excellent signing.

All in all, I think Ridgers and the committee have done well with their summers work and it will take a while for all the players to settle and gel. Some like Lallana and Lazar haven't been helped by injuries and others haven't had an enough game time to make a reasoned judgement on their worth but overall I'm confident of most of the players coming good. Only one or two have me doubting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭ratracer

As has been said previously, for some posters on here, if the new signings get it right, they're great, if they're rubbish B Rod should get the sack!! Apparently :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement