Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    "Just defend, don’t try and be clever, don’t try to play, just defend and don’t let them have the set-piece." - Brendan Rodgers.

Thanks be to f*ck he seems to be coming round to the idea of getting Sakho to defend first and play later. Calling for Mignolet to be more assetive as well which is no bad thing, he's a quiet as a church mouse and just as timid.

And twice as ugly!.

sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

People are talking about formations like it's the be all and end all. I think there's a few issues here, and quite frankly, formation isn't high up on the list.

1. I hate to say it, but the Suarez factor is clearly impacting here. He was a player who created chances out of nothing and more often than not took them when he had them. With Danny crocked, all of a sudden you look and you wonder where the goals will come from. There will be huge, huge pressure on Mario to deliver in the next few weeks.
    2. You also have the fact that a massive chunk of this team just have not played together. You can clearly see that in the attacking third of the pitch where before we had players who anticipated each others movements, now we have players who run down blind alleys or take up the wrong positions.
    3. When our backs are against the wall like they have been, Gerrard has really disappointed. I am generally a big supporter of his, but with the rest of the team struggling on Saturday, he was trying to force things far too much. He needed to be settling things down a lot more, playing simple balls and allowing the players in front of him to create the chances rather than trying Hollywood passes.
    4. Second season has kicked in. After last year, it was always going to be a struggle to maintain that level. It's going to be Rodgers job to try and gee the players up to try and attain that level, or something close to it again. This is easier said than done.

I really think we're going to need to give Rodgers some time in all this. With all that said though, there's one piece that absolutely has to work and it's something that Rodgers can only influence so much. That piece is Balotelli. If we're to get top 4 then we will need his goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Think it's important to remember that we've been a team that starts seasons slowly under Brendan. It often a takes a while for the new players to grasp his ideas but when they do with the talent in the team it could be really exciting. There's no way we wanted to be jamming in 6 new players this early but injuries kind of forced our hand a bit on that front and it showed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Think it's important to remember that we've been a team that starts seasons slowly under Brendan. It often a takes a while for the new players to grasp his ideas but when they do with the talent in the team it could be really exciting. There's no way we wanted to be jamming in 6 new players this early but injuries kind of forced our hand a bit on that front and it showed.

This, pretty much.

To be fair only Chelsea have hit the ground running. Everyone else has had hiccups, ours was just larger. Namely down to the fact that most of our players came off international duty and 2 of them had their first competitive start.

Hoping for a good result tomorrow night, then at West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I was at the game but don't have much to add apart from what's already been said here

The most annoying point for me was that nobody seemed confident in playing a forward pass/through ball in the last third and as a result, whenever the ball got up the pitch to a certain point it ended up being passed back. It seemed like Sakho and Lovren had the most possession, which seriously grinded my gears. I'd prefer to see an attempted killer pass and lose the ball rather than seeing markovic/coutinho playing it back to lovren who would just distribute amongst the back 4 + Hendo/Gerrard who would play it upfield and just repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Was disappointed with Markovic especially, that he wasnt prepared to take cissokho on on the outside. We saw against chelsea last year that we dont seem to be able to play through packed defences (even with suarez on the pitch) ... what we needed was the likes of markovic, sterling and the full backs getting round the back..it never really happened, so its disappointing to see we havent really learned from last season in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

A professional 2-0 tomorrow night I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Yep. Gerrard pen from a trip on Sterling, and a Coutinho goal after a 1-2 with Lallana.

Nothing else makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

A mind altering 8-0 win or ill be p*ssed.

Or FIFA 94. Two footed lunge then do a burner so the ref couldnt book you :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Is tomorrows game broadcast live anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Dcully wrote: »

ITV/UTV are showing it Im sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

rob316 wrote: »

Yep they are
    Dcully wrote: »

I like to use http://www.live-footballontv.com/ to find televised games

Tv3 or 3e showing it too.

The radio probably a better option than this though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Tv3 or 3e showing it too.

The radio probably a better option than this though!

Aye TV3 picture quality is like something out of the 90's. I have bad memories of watching Europa league games on it, not sure if it was the picture quality or hodge ball was more depressing. :pac:

ITV isn't great either but you can get UTV HD atleast on sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Aye TV3 picture quality is like something out of the 90's. I have bad memories of watching Europa league games on it, not sure if it was the picture quality or hodge ball was more depressing. :pac:

ITV isn't great either but you can get UTV HD atleast on sky.

Frequency for ITV HD:

V
    2/3

**** TV3. Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Gbear wrote: »
    Frequency for ITV HD:

V
    2/3

**** TV3. Seriously.

612bfdb6d3a1df50a3e619097d89e60b95f2a3340a2c4d705b31fdbfd0ea7a0d.jpg

Frequency for ITV HD:

V
    2/3

**** TV3. Seriously.

Is the HD free to air?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Is the HD free to air?

It is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

x43r0 wrote: »
    I was at the game but don't have much to add apart from what's already been said here

The most annoying point for me was that nobody seemed confident in playing a forward pass/through ball in the last third and as a result, whenever the ball got up the pitch to a certain point it ended up being passed back. It seemed like Sakho and Lovren had the most possession, which seriously grinded my gears. I'd prefer to see an attempted killer pass and lose the ball rather than seeing markovic/coutinho playing it back to lovren who would just distribute amongst the back 4 + Hendo/Gerrard who would play it upfield and just repeat

agreed, i winced every time the ball went back to Gerrard and then back to the back 4, no need for it. there seems to be a big gap in the centre of the park when Gerrard gets the ball, we need a player to hang around the centre and receive the ball from him...if we dont then a team can just man mark each player further forward..exact same thing happened for England during the world cup also. I will try and get some examples tonight and post them.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    It is.

Nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Frequency for ITV HD:

V
    2/3

**** TV3. Seriously.

I can't get 23000, it just goes from 22.0 to 27.5 and nothing else, any ideas?

Actually that frequency doesn't work anymore if you have Sky.

They migrated to a different frequency that you can't reach with a Sky Box.

Obviously the only solution is to storm TV3 and murder the whole lot of them.

Or watch a stream or some ****.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

UTV HD still works fine on my sky box thankfully. The prospect of even Clive Tyldesley is miles better than anything to do with tv3.

5starpool wrote: »
    UTV HD still works fine on my sky box thankfully. The prospect of even Clive Tyldesley is miles better than anything to do with tv3.

Yup. Just checked there:

11053 H 22000 5/6

And the match is on it.

SUCCESS!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

5live wrote: »
    Only 1 more sleeps to go!

I intend to have three sleeps between now and then thank you very much.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I intend to have three sleeps between now and then thank you very much.

Lloyd did a funny! :D

Today was a good day... :P

But what if Beglin is with him??? :eek:

Dickerty wrote: »

gw-throwing-tv-out-window.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Dickerty wrote: »

Beglin was let go by itv a couple of yeas ago. It will most likely be Andy Townsend.

• Advertisement

Beglin was let go by itv a couple of yeas ago. It will most likely be Andy Townsend.

Oh, well that's GREAT news!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Ah Andy Townsend.

"Thats what you want from your striker...goals."

"I think one of these teams could win this"

"Hart would have wanted to save that Clive..."

"The Belgians will play like their fellow Scandinavians, Denmark and Sweden"

"There are three results possible in this match"

"If Bayern get a third here I fear for Arsenal... I really do"

Great....

NukaCola wrote: »

God, that's like something Redknapp would say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ah Andy Townsend.

Great....

Or the classic "YEESSS" when he thought Dortmund had scored against Arsenal last season. They hadn't but you felt at least he tied his colours to the mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Great stat I just found on Twitter
    PL Set Piece Goals Against since Rodgers took over... LFC aren't as bad as you might think.

Bxkgv6GIcAAM2G5.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Great stat I just found on Twitter
    PL Set Piece Goals Against since Rodgers took over... LFC aren't as bad as you might think.

Bxkgv6GIcAAM2G5.png

The problem is goals conceded due to madness in defence.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Apparently the keeper for the opposition hasn't played for the club at any level yet. The 2 mains keepers are unavailable.

My message to the team would be to shoot shoot shoot.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Apparently the keeper for the opposition hasn't played for the club at any level yet. The 2 mains keepers are unavailable.

Oh no doubt he will keep a clean sheet, have 14 saves, be man of the match and be linked to Chelsea inside the next 30 hours!!!

Oh and only seeing this now too, should be a straight red card which would have changed the game. How the hell this was missed ill never know.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-RVJqLzB67_E/VBYDSs9c41I/AAAAAAABENY/JgBH3WqoOBU/s639/14%2B-%2B1

Ah Andy Townsend.

Great....

Aside from the Belgium one it's hard to argue with any of the other useful insights. All true.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Oh and only seeing this now too, should be a straight red card which would have changed the game. How the hell this was missed ill never know.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-RVJqLzB67_E/VBYDSs9c41I/AAAAAAABENY/JgBH3WqoOBU/s639/14%2B-%2B1

There were a few other incidents as well between Senderos and Ballotelli, that one being the worst.
    Sterling was also targetted when he came on. I think that Hutton was repeatedly wasting time on throw ins which he should have been booked for, then went in hard on Sterling and got a yellow.

....but at the end of the day, we didn't score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Rodgers told his pre-match press conference at Anfield: "Martin has worked very hard. He joined the group yesterday, so he is working well.

"It's probably too early for this game but after a good week's training he should be ready for West Ham.

"Apart from that, we're pretty much the same in terms of injuries."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/170786-ludogorets-too-soon-for-fit-again-skrtel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I would start Lambert and Balotelli and I would have Borini on the bench.

If Ludogorets never before keeper doesn't a have superman display hopefully all 3 of them can get off the mark this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Hi

Was just wondering, i haven't had SKY for a while. But a few years back i was able to record the Liverpool games on LFC TV at 12 midnight and watch them the next day. Has this now stopped, i ask because i didnt see it broadcast on sunday until the evening time on LFC TV,

Thanks
    JB
    /../

I would start Lambert and Balotelli and I would have Borini on the bench.

If Ludogorets never before keeper doesn't a have superman display hopefully all 3 of them can get off the mark this season.

After the weekend especially I have the worst of bad feelings for this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

After the weekend especially I have the worst of bad feelings for this game.

Are the worst of bad feelings almost good feelings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Should have left Super Rush do the match thread v Villa.

I think everyone should blame Harry. Its the only logical thing to do.

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Definitely play Lambert along with Ballotelli. A good mix of shots from all over, some high crosses, and our normal play should hopefully be enough to do the trick

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    Should have left Super Rush do the match thread v Villa.

I think everyone should blame Harry. Its the only logical thing to do.

Harry made that match thread hanging out of his car window

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement