Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

It's gonna be our year!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

God we are rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Knex. wrote: »
    Two fullbacks are the only reason we have points from this game.

Need to improve.

Manquillo, Moreno and Henderson all did well. Poor from quite a few of the others. Didn't deserve to win that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Never in doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

God we are rubbish

We always start slow under Rodgers.

Luckily we're sneaky enough to win games now until we warm up.

Just on Ludo, whipping boys they wont be I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Vicxas wrote: »

2025 here we come! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Vicxas wrote: »

Luckily we're sneaky enough to win games now until we warm up.

Just on Ludo, whipping boys they wont be I feel.

Ah their lust for the cl will blow out after their next loss - just well up for this. Played very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I like Moreno a lot, clearly the new John Arne Riise in his pomp, which means he'll waste a few good positions but will also keep every opposition right full back/right centre back on the edge of being sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's a win ill take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Jeez lads Moreno is some find. He's quality.
    Manquillo is very good too, a bit raw still but really like him.
    Balotelli did really well, considering our midfield was tripe.

But **** me we need a new keeper, Mignolet is way out of his depth. Lovren.... in fairness is was a great ball through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

We're definitely missing Allen's Energy in the Middile.

Heck, even Can would definitely be an Improvement.

Sucks that both of them are out Injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Borini didn't look bad. Movement could have been better though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Shame on me, I fked off into the other room after the equaliser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Mignolet? ?? Lovren was all over the place for that goal.

Soft soft penalty!...

Mignolet was shocking again for the goal.he came at and did nothing but offer an open goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Mig for that goal was like a really....really....reeeeeally bad version of Neuer. No idea what he was doing coming out for that, an absolute shambles.

It doesn't help that the men supposedly meant to be protecting him are a shambles too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

Phew, lots of work still to do but I'll take an ugly win at this stage didn't expect an easy win in any case. Migs and Lovren need sorting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

West Ham away is going to be a very tough evening if we keep up the form of the last two games. Something not clicking at the moment. Just need to grind out the wins until it does start clicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

We need more time to gel together.

Borini did ok when he came on...Lucas I am not so sure of.

We have decent defenders but they don't trust our keeper much.

Mario is trying...credit to BR for that.

NO JOHNSON! I think boards would crash if he was playing tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Grayditch wrote: »

I think you can be forgiven, all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Terrible performance.Moreno & Manquillo both look great buys. Lovren can do some great aggresive defending but is caught out positionally. Balotelli's attitude & workout was very good. Mignolet is a choker & not up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Grayditch wrote: »

Worst fan ever:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

I don't think it's just the CB 's not trusting Mig. I think none of them trust each other.

Need some cutting edge too. 1 up front doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Joe Allen can't come back soon enough, we can't seem to function without him this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Like the look of that Junior Caicara at right full for Ludogrets. Good distribution, rapid pace and looks like he can defend aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

please can we play sturridge and balo together with sterling in behind when all are fit. Leaning to heavily on Gerrard after some unfortunate mf injuries. If he or hendo got a knock we would be screwed.

We are creating nervousness and uncertainty in defence, am certain its not the players, its something in the set up, maybe mignolet is destabilising them a bit by not commanding his area but again he was a more certain keeper at Sunderland. Dunno, needs work thats for sure.

We made changes last season which rescued our performances, am hoping BR has seen enough to get to work stabilising the defence.

Nice show of determination from Ballotelli for the goal, Gerrard ice cool for the peno.

I was horrified to see Lucas come on to be honest.

Yet to click and we are missing Sturridge but a win is a win :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

darced wrote: »

Don't forget Lovren. Really hasn't been great at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Would not be averse to making a bid for Begovic in January.

Coutinho was not at the races this evening...what's up with the kid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Just watching Balotellis finish again, it really was a great finish, very instinctive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I dont trust any of the centre halves at the club, and Mignolet...scary stuff.

Kunkka wrote: »
    Don't forget Lovren. Really hasn't been great at all.

I think he'd been caught out by the difference between Sotons compact pressing style under Pochettino and the more er freestyle approach of Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

One up top is not working with Balotelli. Much better when Borini came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

I think he'd been caught out by the difference between Sotons compact pressing style under Pochettino and the more er freestyle approach of Liverpool.

He's making very basic mistakes for a centre half. He is very bad at anticipating those balls in behind and when the opposition has pace it can put us in serious trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

It's just got to the point now that Sterling is so good in the middle, he must play there.

Impressed with both full backs.

Mingolet is still not up to it. Skrtel will come straight back in for Sakho. He has not impressed and another miscontrol let to them hitting the post.

Borini was better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

A lot of excuses being made for him so far, coming from a place of desperate hope imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

West Ham away is going to be a very tough evening if we keep up the form of the last two games. Something not clicking at the moment. Just need to grind out the wins until it does start clicking.
    Problem is what if it doesn't :(

• Advertisement

homolumo wrote: »

I think Borini took defenders with him and was kicked around a fair bit but that created space for Mario to move

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I didn't get to see the match .

But I take it we were fairly rubbish.

The postman celebrates his work

BxrruP_CEAA0QSS.jpg

And Penaltypool get the win

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Thought I might add, it's definitely no coincidence that the two players in our team with the most CL experience scored the goals.

Anyone watching ITV? Fowler looks in rag order, I do hope all is well with him, I'm a huge fan.

Final stats

58%--Ball Possession--42%
    21----Goal Attempts---11
    Shots on Goal---2
    Shots off Goal---8
    Blocked Shots---1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Not a Fan of Sakho, Lovren and Migs.

And the Fact that we've spent a Fortune on them, only makes it worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

I don't think it's just the CB 's not trusting Mig. I think none of them trust each other.

Need some cutting edge too. 1 up front doesn't work.

Midfield is not good enough. The defence is completely exposed when we are being attacked, theres no protection whatsoever.

On the evidence of performances thus far, I get the impression we do most of our preparation in terms of what we will do when we have possession. We are extremely poor without the ball, it was the same last season.

Granted, we improved as the season went on last year, I do worry about Gerrard though. To play this system of 3 midfielders you need them all to have the legs to cover every blade of grass.

Gerrard cannot do that, nor does he have the tactical nous to play the role in front of the defence. He will be shut down more often than not this season, and prevented from playing his long range direct passes much like Agbonlahor did on Saturday. Without the ball, Gerrard is rendered redundant, ive lost count of the amount of times ive seen balls played in behind him, or one two's on the edge of our box and Gerrard failing to track the runner.

Its not a role you can be shoe horned into, he is playing in front of the defence as a deep lying playmaker but we need a tactically sound spoiler in midfield aswell, disciplined, quick and can tackle.

Lucas fits non of these criteria either, slow, gives away free kicks in dangerous positions. Its an area we need to improve upon for sure, we were wide open in midfield and simply don't have the capability to shut up shop/stifle better teams.

Madrid could run amok on that midfield, players playing off the front/in between the lines will have alot of joy against us.

Fabio Borini could be a very useful member of the squad this season however, his energy alone caused Ludogrets a headache when he came on and aswell as playing wide in a 4-3-3 he can also be the +1 in attack in a 4-4-2.

Much like Kuyt was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If we lost Henderson for any period I would really worry the energy he gives is relentless and his attacking play is getting better.

Delighted for balotelli, the two Spanish lads were brilliant and lallana looked good just a bit rusty.

Lovren looks great he's strong and agressive and great on the ball but his positioning is shocking. Sakho gives me the shakes he can barely trap a ball. Mignolet I'm just tired of never will be good enough.

Coutinho was terrible as bad as Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

homolumo wrote: »

That system definately gets us goals, unfortunately it leaves us very susceptible to conceding. We can't count on scoring 3 or 4 goals in a game so I understand why we don't start with two upfront.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Augeo wrote: »
    Anyone watching ITV? Fowler looks in rag order, I do hope all is well with him, I'm a huge fan.

He's looked like that for years, tbh.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement