Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Happy with that. A win to take us in to the international break.

Is it that time again?

Feck sake :mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I hate international breaks with a passion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Good solid display, looked fantastic going forward. 3pts on board most important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Good to see the fouls when Spurs had something on. We lacked that against City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

clean sheet, fckin delighted we kept a clean sheet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Y N W A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

ush wrote: »
    Good to see the fouls when Spurs had something on. We lacked that against City.

Aye. Certainly we need to wise up to that in order to get more defensive solidity.

As you say, good to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Knex. wrote: »
    Awaits Linda's tweet.

I read that as something else as I was scanning pass.

In all seriousness though, today's game has raised some serious questions for me.
    Like who's goal was better, Flanno's or Moreno's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

5starpool wrote: »
    I hate international breaks with a passion.

This one in particular. Way too early in the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Delighted with that. Was really important to win today IMO, particularly after Spurs good start to the season & our not so great start.

Balotelli/Sturridge/Sterling going to cause trouble for most sides this year. Particularly the later 2. Sterling at 19 must be one of the best young players in the world.

Henderson is just smashing too. Moreno looked very good & his goal was a cracker!

If that back 4 can get better, which one would hope considering 3 of the 4 have just joined, there's reason to be hopeful this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Happy with that. 3 games gone 4 pts ahead of everton and utd and level with spurs and city. Nice position to be in considering our tough start and the number of new players we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Brillant performance. Very encouraged by Balotelli's debut. If he keeps up that effort he will be one of the best striker's in the world. Moreno's pace is a massive asset. 6/9 with City & Spurs back to back away from home is a good start.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

This one in particular. Way too early in the season

Ya, we've just been given back our LFC fix and they take it away again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Well that was a reassuring performance more reminiscent of last season. Great to see Moreno get on the scoresheet, Lovern looks very comfortable too. Mario should have scored one of his three chances but it was still god to see how he fits into the overall team by creating space for Sterling & Sturridge. It was also great to see when it came to subbing him we had someone of the quality of Manquillo coming off the bench rather than Asaldi or Moses. Its good to see the squad finally getting depth. Clean sheet today too, yet another bell on a fine team performance. They were rampaging all over the Lane.

I'm happy now, I feel the season has finally begun:)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Just popping in from the Arsenal thread to say ye are looking really impressive.

Fantastic signings (it would seem) in Manquillo and Moreno. Most of my lot won't admit it, but ye will be up there at the end of the season. Ye better have Sturridge and Sterling tied down on long term contracts because those two are the best english fowards in the Premier League.

6/9 from those fixtures is a good tally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

everyone keeps saying our not so good start to the season?

am i the only one here who believes we had a really hard start to the season? even with all their players we bought Southampton are a team that constantly "steal" points from the top 4/5, next we played City, the current champions and all their multimillion superstar players, and then white hart lane which (despite the 12-0 aggregate) is a tough place to go play,

i am immensely proud of Liverpool and i think they have had a great start compared to previous season's where we had at least an easy fixture in the first three.

6 points out of 9 for those opponents i don't think any manager will complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Excellent stuff. To get a 3-0 win away at WHL is no mean feat. Would love to go back through all those daft comments from last week saying how "we are just not that good" and how "itl be a long season ahead"

Again, it was the champions away from home we lost to.

This preformance today had so many positives. Was very impressed with Mario. With a little bit more sharpness (and his shooting boots) he could be an excellent addition.

One thing that seemed clear to me was that with him there, we had another distraction at the top end of the pitch which freed up more room for the likes of Sterling and Sturridge.

Defensively we looked a little shakey but improved in the second half. I have been wanting Moreno to sign all Summer and when we got him I was delighted.

Going forward he is another threat and it will do him the world of good to get that goal.

All round though I am delighted. Henderson also excellent. Pressing till the very end. Can looked very good when he came on to. Great powerful run at one stage too.

Nothing else to say about Sterling but we have a gem of a player there. Outstanding today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We need to play two up front from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Moreno's goal, that remind anyone of Riise's first goal against Everton? He's defo a bit quicker but looks a real talent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Highlights of U18s game yesterday, well worth watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Moreno....so far he looks like what we've been missing on the left for a long time. Very early days but aside from the mistake v City I'm delighted we have him.

I like the fact Linda Pizzuti clearly knows there is a joke surrounding her delight in clean sheeets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Great way to go into the international break.

Negatives for me were Lovren and Sahko having a some dodgy moments in the first half. Looked much better in the second and hopefully they will only get better.

For me (and I assume a lot of LFC fans) that is our strongest back 4.

Also thought Sturridge was a little off today. Great to see we can win comfortably with our main man not exactly performing.

Would still love another player to be rotated with Gerrard but I have to say I'm really confident about this season. It's going to be great to have Lallana back from injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Absolutely elated with that, was fearing the worst. Balo looked good imo bar the finishing, Moreno made a mockery of the sky analysis on Monday and Sterling? Quality, needs to improve his decision making but other than that the lad just gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

I'm loving the decision to put Moreno at the edge of the box from corners. He's so quick he'll be a big threat on the break. Definitely wouldn't be surprised if he picks up a few goals in that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Yes Yes Yes, get in there, delighted with the win and performance! Loved Morenos goal that was a bit of icing on the cake, Balo played well apart from a couple of chances, all in all a 0-3 at WHL is very very impressive.

• Advertisement

Moreno goal reminded me so much of this chap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Not long age we would have shat ourselves if we had to go into a game without a defence of Enrique, Agger, Skrtel and Johnson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Augmerson wrote: »

Quality film, quality soundtrack, quality post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

I thought today was an excellent team performance . Only 3rd game into the new season . Those 3 games have been hard enough as a start and to have 6 points after 2 tough away games is fantastic .

We need to play two up front from now on.

Diamonds are for Liverpool the best approach, its obvious that the full backs are able to provide the width and that Sterling works best behind the strikers who can move this way and that as Sterling makes runs between the lines and Hendo
    overlaps. Hang on I did a card for this.

2iazh4y.jpg

SPURS
    LIVERPOOL
    61%____Ball Possession 39%
    7_______Goal Attempts 17
    1_______Shots on Goal 8
    4_______Shots off Goal 8
    2_______Blocked Shots 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just excellent, could have been even more than the 5 we scored last season.

Balotelli slotted in nice, had 2 really good chances but he hasnt played in 2 months so needs some time to bed in. Im saying it the last 2 games we have to play with 2 up top sterling and sturridge are far more effective.

Sterling what can I say he's the best teenager in world football its not even up for debate.

Manquillo - solid out, goodbye johnson.

Moreno - for his size he is very strong and tough, great pace and a cracking finish for the goal.

Henderson - the guy just doesnt stop running, he is continung to boss midfields and play key passes. Great player my MOTM.

Lovren and Sakho, lovren was very shaky but he just doesnt trust his partner and he's a little too eager that is the problem, he is trying to do too much. There was a couple of times Sakho was marking his man and Lovren jumped in opening huge space in the backline. The potential is there though to be a monstrous partnership.

Overall 3 really tough games done and we have 6/9, if we replicate that for the season we will finish around 78 points enough to be in the top 4 again.

Bastard international break now, got a nice run of "easier" games next.

Manquillo starts from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

When Sakho is bad he really is atrocious.

Hopefully he and a few of the others who haven't had much game time can build up a bit of sharpness in the League Cup or post-CL league games.

Lovren has yet to fully convince me but at least he seems like he can recover when he does make a balls of it.

Solid enough from the two full backs. Moreno was really aggressive in the 2nd half and deserved that goal for his work.

Gerrard was really **** on the ball in the first half. Wasn't that involved in the 2nd. Hopefully with another midfield option getting back to fitness we can get someone to come in on occasion. It's good that we have so many players staying behind at Melwood this week - a good chance for Balotelli, Lallana and Moreno to bed down.

Was pretty impressed with Can. Very strong run for the chance Sterling fluffed.
    Markovich seemed a bit reticent to really go at them for them reason. He was happy to sit on the wing and recycle the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

The performance of both full backs was a real positive.

I still think Skrtel and Lovren are the better pairing in the long run. Not sure Sakho will ever be of the quality we desire. He's here long enough now to start showing something.

The rest of the team looks fantastic. So many options. Great pressing and work rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I felt Lovren got in Sakho's way quiet a few times I don't think it was down to him feeling nervous about playing with Sakho or trying to cover him.

I think it was just down to him playing on the right for the first time in a long time and he kept drifting over to the left just out of habbit of playing on the left for so long.

Once they get used to playing together they will be a monster centre back pairing with pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I felt Lovren got in Sakho's way quiet a few times I don't think it was down to him feeling nervous about playing with Sakho or trying to cover him.

I think it was just down to him playing on the right for the first time in a long time and he kept drifting over to the left just out of habbit of playing on the left for so long.

Once they get used to playing together they will be a monster centre back pairing with pace.

Can someone point to the performance from Sakho that suggested he will ever be good enough for Liverpool. He gave the ball straight to a Spurs player 3 times today and we could have been punished by a better side.

Lovren is more comfortable on the left and Skrtel is simply better than Sakho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Rodgers said in his interview that there will possibly be one player brought in tomorrow, but it looks unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Rodgers on Balotelli: "I'm giving him responsibility. For first time in his life, he marked at a corner. I'm serious."

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

rob316 wrote: »
    Just excellent, could have been even more than the 5 we scored last season.

Balotelli slotted in nice, had 2 really good chances but he hasnt played in 2 months so needs some time to bed in. Im saying it the last 2 games we have to play with 2 up top sterling and sturridge are far more effective.

Sterling what can I say he's the best teenager in world football its not even up for debate.

Manquillo - solid out, goodbye johnson.

Moreno - for his size he is very strong and tough, great pace and a cracking finish for the goal.

Henderson - the guy just doesnt stop running, he is continung to boss midfields and play key passes. Great player my MOTM.

Lovren and Sakho, lovren was very shaky but he just doesnt trust his partner and he's a little too eager that is the problem, he is trying to do too much. There was a couple of times Sakho was marking his man and Lovren jumped in opening huge space in the backline. The potential is there though to be a monstrous partnership.

Overall 3 really tough games done and we have 6/9, if we replicate that for the season we will finish around 78 points enough to be in the top 4 again.

Bastard international break now, got a nice run of "easier" games next.

Its not about trust, the problems arose when he was attacking balls that should've been Sakho's because he's used to playing LCB rather than RCB. Not sure if Rodgers will stick with this partnership but Lovren will learn the position quickly hopefully.

kfallon wrote: »

Hendo so modest, wrapped up in the towel. Let us see you baby.

Head on Sterling in that Twitter link Kfallon posted:

Q7mmGj7.jpg

Looks like he has been out at the E Picnic.

"Well man...*deeply inhales, twitches about* ****ing great time eh?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Diamonds are for Liverpool the best approach, its obvious that the full backs are able to provide the width and that Sterling works best behind the strikers who can move this way and that as Sterling makes runs between the lines and Hendo
    overlaps. Hang on I did a card for this.

2iazh4y.jpg

SPURS
    LIVERPOOL
    61%____Ball Possession 39%
    7_______Goal Attempts 17
    1_______Shots on Goal 8
    4_______Shots off Goal 8
    2_______Blocked Shots 1
    I reckon Mike would have started Allen though:cool:

Talisman wrote: »
    Rodgers said in his interview that there will possibly be one player brought in tomorrow, but it looks unlikely.

Did he sound like he was referencing a specific player?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Gbear wrote: »
    When Sakho is bad he really is atrocious.

Hopefully he and a few of the others who haven't had much game time can build up a bit of sharpness in the League Cup or post-CL league games.

Lovren has yet to fully convince me but at least he seems like he can recover when he does make a balls of it.

Solid enough from the two full backs. Moreno was really aggressive in the 2nd half and deserved that goal for his work.

Gerrard was really **** on the ball in the first half. Wasn't that involved in the 2nd. Hopefully with another midfield option getting back to fitness we can get someone to come in on occasion. It's good that we have so many players staying behind at Melwood this week - a good chance for Balotelli, Lallana and Moreno to bed down.

Was pretty impressed with Can. Very strong run for the chance Sterling fluffed.
    Markovich seemed a bit reticent to really go at them for them reason. He was happy to sit on the wing and recycle the ball.

We won 3-0 though. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement