Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I wouldn't replace Mig with Valdez.

If you're going to replace a keeper, the keeper you get in should be far superior. Have we not learned from getting rid of Reina?

Short term he is what we can get. Long term I agree but right now we need something different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

klose wrote: »
    Id drop lovren sooner, he's pretty much been involved in all our goals conceded so far this season. Poor start for someone brought in to shore up our defence.

The jury is still out for me on Lovren. I'm giving him a few more games. I think he's a good footballer, quick and a physical presence. I hope he settles down a bit and starts to make better decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

For all this talk of Sakho being dodgy, he comes out of every game with the highest pass completion rate, he's solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Terrible performance but we got the 3 points!

However it really does go to show how often Suarez and Sturridge got us out of the shít last season, we don't look half the team without Sturridge in there and we're still incapable of keeping clean sheets. Our passing was very poor, no pace to it and Coutinho was terrible again.

Delighted for Mario tho. We were lucky, we need to shape up quickly in both the league and CL.

Slattsy wrote: »
    For all this talk of Sakho being dodgy, he comes out of every game with the highest pass completion rate, he's solid.

With all due respect his pass completion rate does not make him a good defender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Knex. wrote: »
    But it was really that close.

They hit the post. Sakho was then all ends up, and only a great sliding tackle from Moreno saved us. He then got up, broke up field and put the ball in for our goal. A huge turning point.

They then scored, and our penalty was lucky, all things considered.

We really could have lost 3 nil. 3 nil to a team 90% of us can't even spell without the help of Google and Copy & Paste.

If my aunty had balls, etc...

We missed 3 sitters ourselves and had a few other excellent chances.

We were by a distance the more dangerous team.

Tbh him, Lovren, Gerrard and Mignolet seem to have about 80% of our possesion just pissing about with it at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Skrtel has to be a starter anytime he's fit and I'd partner him with Loveren.

There is just something about Sahko and although he does pick out a pass very well, he still looks awkward when taking control of the ball before releasing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Most passes: Gerrard 72/78

Best Passer: Sakho 64/66

Most key passes: Moreno 5

Most tackles: Manquillo 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lovren does some very good things & is aggresive which I like. He is making mistakes atm but I have faith he will be a very good defender for us. Sturridge is so important for us too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Short term he is what we can get. Long term I agree but right now we need something different.

He fricken Shyte...did you see the bloopers vid on youtube, its longer than the David James one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

This stat is absolute nonsense & doesn't assist at all in judging his defensive displays.

He fricken Shyte...did you see the bloopers vid on youtube, its longer than the David James one.

I wouldn't base your opinion on a player by watching his mistakes over a 12 year period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Mr Alan wrote: »
    However, I think fans & management at the club have radically under-estimated the contribution Suarez made to our season last year. As things stand currently I'm quite concerned that this season is going to represent a rather considerable regression. Based on the money spent that would be hugely disappointing & I would be concerned that it won't be acceptable to FSG.

But we weren't just missing Suarez.

We're missing both our strikers from last season.

The one time we've played with the same system and the best personnel available we looked very similar to the way we played last season.

That doesn't get Rodgers off the hook - you can't play the same way forever.
    But it's going to take time to adjust for when we can't play the way we want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Moreno was excellent but wtf was he doing sprinting past Sterling in the 90 minute on the attack when we were 1-0 up. Absolutely brain dead stuff we see far to often from Liverpool players in those situations.

Its obviously Rodgers tactics as we play the same way no matter what the scoreline is. Palace away and Utd away 3 0 up and we kept going for it looking for the fourth goal. Rodgers rarely makes defensive subs to close out a game unlike most other managers. I think this approach gives the players belief and confidence however sometimes it costs us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

Mr Alan wrote: »
    This stat is absolute nonsense & doesn't assist at all in judging his defensive displays.

Lovren and mig were at fault for the goal, not sakho. Don't see why he is getting flack tbh.

No I didn't see that. But I watched him for Barca for a number of years and think he's perfect for what we need right now. Fair enough it is short-termism but Mignolet isn't doing it for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Gbear wrote: »
    But we weren't just missing Suarez.

We're missing both our strikers from last season.

The one time we've played with the same system and the best personnel available we looked very similar to the way we played last season.

That doesn't get Rodgers off the hook - you can't play the same way forever.
    But it's going to take time to adjust for when we can't play the way we want to.

We're missing 1 relatively injury prone striker at the minute.

Suarez no longer plays for us & we have spent huge money trying to replace his contribution to the side, his absence isn't an acceptable excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Gbear wrote: »
    If my aunty had balls, etc...

We missed 3 sitters ourselves and had a few other excellent chances.

We were by a distance the more dangerous team.

Most possession, yeah. But I wouldn't even say we were the more dangerous team. Certainly not by a distance, anyway.

Just my opinion, but for me, a draw at least was a fair result. We were lucky to win, and I don't think it was particularly deserved.

Our two fullbacks can take massive credit for that win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Most passes: Gerrard 72/78

Best Passer: Sakho 64/66

Most key passes: Moreno 5

Most tackles: Manquillo 5

Manquillo was damn good tonight especially considering the limited game time he had before joining. Solid defending and tackling even if his positioning is a bit off yet. Marginally behind Moreno. He was open on the wing a good few times but the ball was played back into the middle and congestion too often when we were crying out for width to stretch the defence for runners to break through.

And wtf happened our pressing the ball and causing mistakes in their half of the field? Sorely missing so far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

In better news, the Arsenal superthread is in a meltdown.

Lovren and mig were at fault for the goal, not sakho. Don't see why he is getting flack tbh.

Where was Sakho when Lovren was sliding in in the left centre back position?

But the majority of the blame is with Mingolet.

Fescue wrote: »
    I wouldn't base your opinion on a player by watching his mistakes over a 12 year period.

Yes but some of those decisions were just crazy. I've seen a lot of Valdez and Iker Casis for example because I would watch the spanish league and I don't rate either of them.

Anyways, What I'm getting at is dont replace unless its a far better option.

Liverpool have had some great keepers over the years and let them go over a couple of poxy mistakes and how the media or fans reacted to them.

Keepers are like strikers when it comes to confidence.

To be fair if Moreno wasn't having a brainfart up the pitch Sakho would have been a lot closer to Lovren but he was trying to also cover the LB position too.

How was the guy who played the pass allowed so much time and space to receive the ball, turn and play the pass unchallenged??

In better news, the Arsenal superthread is in a meltdown.

Turty gonna get banned....

Oh, wait....

:O

Yes but some of those decisions were just crazy. I've seen a lot of Valdez and Iker Casis for example because I would watch the spanish league and I don't rate either of them.

Anyways, What I'm getting at is dont replace unless its a far better option.

Liverpool have had some great keepers over the years and let them go over a couple of poxy mistakes and how the media or fans reacted to them.

Keepers are like strikers when it comes to confidence.

I still think Valdes would be an upgrade on Mingolet. As he is available and free, I think its a no brainer.

Next summer we should push for a top quality keeper, unless Valdes is exceptional.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

And a word for those still in the Forbidden Zone and Beyond -

Victory was sweet, we still remember you.

5live wrote: »
    Turty gonna get banned....

Oh, wait....

:O

He'd have enjoyed tonight. Us playing ****e and winning, Arsenal getting a serious beating. RIP sweet Turty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Lovren was awful for the goal. Watching the ball all the way with no idea where the man he's supposed to be marking is, before he's in front of him with the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

It was said earlier, but there is a lack of trust, both ways, between the Keeper and his defence. This game absolutely highlighted that, I doubt that Skrtel is the solution. I think a better Keeper is what is needed. The problem with "the diamond" is that with two up front we are leaving that creaky defence too exposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

Covering lb as moreno was caught upfield (which was a massive mistake aswell). None of our defenders are perfect but i think sakho gets a lot of unfair criticism people calling for skrtel to come back in for him straight away kind of confuses me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Skrtel and valdes cannot come into this team quick enough for me. Mignolet going walkabout again as per usual, what was he actually thinking coming out for the ball for their goal?!! Reina got slated for doing the same against man city when aguero scored from an impossibly acute angle. Sakho has at least one clanger in him every game. His pass rate means nothing when its five yards sideways to Gerrard or lovren. Again our centre backs were consistently playing the ball into our midfield who were marked and facing our own goal. This type of passing will get us nowhere. Also does everything have to go through Gerrard before it leaves our half?? Nice to see Lucas come on and give away stupid fouls as usual. Couthino very poor also, his form has dipped considerably after a good preseason.

And for the plus points...!!!...Mario gets his first goal, full backs did OK, great to see manquillo winning our peno in the 93min, great desire from him. Three points. Champions league, you're having a laugh!!!!

Begovic and Schneiderlin in January would make the team a lot better IMO. Especially defensively and I think they would make our central defenders look a lot better as well.

Not sold on Valdes personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He slid out to the left back slot to cover Moreno who was lost up field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Jaysus that thread is in freefall.

They're almost as bad as us :P

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Skrtel and valdes cannot come into this team quick enough for me. Mignolet going walkabout again as per usual, what was he actually thinking coming out for the ball for their goal?!! Reina got slated for doing the same against man city when aguero scored from an impossibly acute angle. Sakho has at least one clanger in him every game. His pass rate means nothing when its five yards sideways to Gerrard or lovren. Again our centre backs were consistently playing the ball into our midfield who were marked and facing our own goal. This type of passing will get us nowhere. Also does everything have to go through Gerrard before it leaves our half?? Nice to see Lucas come on and give away stupid fouls as usual. Couthino very poor also, his form has dipped considerably after a good preseason.

And for the plus points...!!!...Mario gets his first goal, full backs did OK, great to see manquillo winning our peno in the 93min, great desire from him. Three points. Champions league, you're having a laugh!!!!
    On Coutinho, he looks so much better with Sturridge in the team, both knowing what the other is looking for. When Danny returns, i expect a much better Coutinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Just on Mig.

His goalkeeping coach must have spat bile when he saw him coming out for that ball, I wouldn't even do that on 5 a side and I can barely save a ball.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Begovic and Schneiderlin in January would make the team a lot better IMO. Especially defensively and I think they would make our central defenders look a lot better as well.

Not sold on Valdes personally.

We cannot sign anymore Soton players, ****ing end of. Would like Begovic though.

Augmerson wrote: »
    We cannot sign anymore Soton players, ****ing end of. Would like Begovic though.

Would make an exception for Schneiderlin. Think there would be some competition for him though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Would make an exception for Schneiderlin. Think there would be some competition for him though.

Spurs were linked with him.

Naturally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Some of ye need to ban yerselves from posting until at least 2 hours after a game.

Lovren has been in the team '5 mins', i have every confidence in him and less on others around him.

Mignolet on the other hand, i watch him and i think he gives everyone around him the heebie jeebies, thus affecting their play in general.

Sturridge is a massive miss.

Henderson is a soldier for this team.

Most of these players will be fine given time. They just dont know each other well enough, too many new bodies around for cohesion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Can see him going to Chelsea in January. He's very much a Mourinho-type player. Would love him at Anfield though, we could finally phase Gerrard slowly out of the team, and save him for the big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

The defensive unit needs work. The key word there is unit. That's a talented group of players but it will take time to develop and understanding. Giving up on lovern at this stage is madness!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Blaming a creaking defence for the goal, blaming a diamond, blaming an elder defencive mid and then blaming the keeper. The buck stops with Brendan Rodgers ... i mean come on lads. A fairly average team in Villa turned up on Saturday and shut up shop by simply being organised with of course heart and determination.

Brendan doesn't do boring, doesn't do organised defencively and even when he puts on Lucas doesn't instruct him to sit beside Stevie and pull in the 2 wingers and make it narrow. Its naive and unfortunately will cost us especially in europe against the better teams. Madrid will tear the hole out of us on the counter IF we do that.

Interestingly for me though ... Saturday he dropped Hendo deeper beside Stevie to give a second outlet cos he suspected Villa would push a player onto him. Tonight he had Coutinho coming very deep at times to collect and attack, while Hendo was back to doing his pressing further up the field. Sterling went out of the game as it progressed and we moved him more centrally and took Coutinho off, but this seen the game open up completely and we were wide open - with the 2 fullbacks attacking at will.

We seem to be lacking balance right now. Plain and simple. He is trying to help out Mario by giving him options up front - trying to bed in Lallana by giving gametime so its a work in progress.

*EDIT* I think BR is still doing a great job, but we just gotta accept that his tactics are a rollercoaster ride ;)

martyos121 wrote: »
    Can see him going to Chelsea in January. He's very much a Mourinho-type player. Would love him at Anfield though, we could finally phase Gerrard slowly out of the team, and save him for the big games.

Chelsea don't really have a pressing need for him. Would be perfect for ourselves or Arsenal though. And obviously his old manager wants him at Spurs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Some positives for me since the Villa game;

1/ Henderson getting vice-captain, a worthy successor to Agger imo and his attitude and contribution in general highlights what Rodgers is all about, delighted for him.

2/ We're back in the Champions League and it feels damn good!

3/ We won tonight. It was by no means convincing but it's 3 points. We could easily be 3 points behind Madrid right now or at the very least 2. I'd have taken that happily Saturday but unfortunately it wasn't to be.

4/ The average age of the starting XI tonight was 24 which is a nice little statistic I think. Plenty of learning in that team but Jesus lads do it sooner rather than later, we want this young team in the CL and challenging as we learn and peak as a team.

5/ Its one game closer to Sturridge returning. It's really becoming apparent now how much we'll miss Suarez. It's vital that Balotelli & Suarez are playing together as much as possible as I don't think the others will cut it. Not that I don't rate them but when you lose Suarez you really need both of them strikers player as much as possible.

6/ M&Ms are showing their potential, we all know how much we struggled at the full back position last season. Hopefully they keep it up. Deja Lov was good too, one or too nervy mistakes that proved costly but that ship will steady I feel. He's still only a new signing to a big club. Hoping it's just a bit of rust after being injured with Lallana, time will tell. Happy with Balotelli's performance, could have been better but he get his goal.

I'm still pretty upset about the Villa game to go back in to being negative again but they've all been said already. Some might see Mignolet's mistake as a positive as it highlights the need for a replacement, Valdes. I'm 50/50 on that one myself in terms of whether or not Valdes is an able replacement. But with leagues being won by such small margins these past few seasons, the short term really can't be underestimated and quite frankly Mignolet isn't cutting it imo.

Anyway lads it sure is good to be back :) Stevie G saves the day once again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Moreno looking the quality signing so far...probably the only decent player tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

daithijjj wrote: »
    Some of ye need to ban yerselves from posting until at least 2 hours after a game.

Lovren has been in the team '5 mins', i have every confidence in him and less on others around him.

Mignolet on the other hand, i watch him and i think he gives everyone around him the heebie jeebies, thus affecting their play in general.

Sturridge is a massive miss.

Henderson is a soldier for this team.

Most of these players will be fine given time. They just dont know each other well enough, too many new bodies around for cohesion.

Easy forget there was 5 new signings playing tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Moreno looking the quality signing so far...probably the only decent player tonight.

Manquillo was good, Lovren was good apart from the goal, Balotelli was good and Henderson ran his bollix off as per usual.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement