Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

but he's injured currently, and couldn't have played.

Not that hard to understand, is it?

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Well his 1st half heatmap from the game would suggest otherwise
    Played the #10 role instead of the strikers role dropping way too short
    Granted it could be because of how awful Lallana and Coutinho

BxrccnyCMAAh42s.png

Not sure if you misread what I said, but I said he didn't get into the box enough and that he was in our own half defending at times too. That heatmap shows exactly what I said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

punk_one82 wrote: »
    Not sure if you misread what I said, but I said he didn't get into the box enough and that he was in our own half defending at times too. That heatmap shows exactly what I said.

Rodgers mentioned during his post match interview that they wanted Mario to get in the box more.

I think if people expect Mario to be running around like Suarez they are going to be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Like others, I also think we should start borini up front this weekend. Borini and balotelli with Sterling in the hole would be our best option at the moment imo to get the best out of Sterling. I know borinis movement has become a bit of a running joke at this stage but he does drag defenders around and create space for others and also gets into good positions. He doesn't have anywhere near the quality of Suarez but he puts in the menacing shift, dragging defenders out of position and never giving them a moments rest. With sturridge out, he's our only other forward who'll do this, which should help Sterling and balo find space and chances.

I think we already have a problem in midfield, hopefully Rodgers has a solution in mind. Gerrard isn't doing great in the deep lying role at the moment for whatever reason and probably isn't capable of playing every game, Lucas isn't good enough to deputise imo so we need to find another option. Allen could possibly be the solution. Rodgers mentioned Coutinho playing deep at one stage but I'm not sure if it would work, especially in his current form, his passing has been uncharacteristically sloppy.

In defense we have a problem but I'm not quite sure what it is. Our core of Mignolet sakho lovren and Gerrard isn't working. I can't figure out who is responsible but something needs to be changed as they are all making each other look worse than they are. Once again, I hope Rodgers has a solution in mind, but I'm not sure he does. Hopefully things will improve over time, but so far it looks like were in for another frustrating campaign defensively.

My lineup for west ham would be mig, Moreno skrtel lovren manquillo, Allen Henderson Gerrard, Sterling borini balo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

gafferino wrote: »
    No one said start him instead of Mario. They said play two up top....which is what you are saying.

Yup I misread tok9s post. Oops.

• Advertisement

Fescue wrote: »
    Rodgers mentioned during his post match interview that they wanted Mario to get in the box more.

I think if people expect Mario to be running around like Suarez they are going to be disappointed.

Agreed, but he wasn't completely static either. The only problem was he wasn't in the box enough, which like you said, Rodgers already alluded to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

MR NINE wrote: »
    My lineup for west ham would be mig, Moreno skrtel lovren manquillo, Allen Henderson Gerrard, Sterling borini balo

Yep, would go with that 11. Allen in the screening role, Gerrard pushed up to the right hand side of the diamond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I might possibly play lallana ahead of Gerrard and have Allen deep and lallana and hendo in front but it could be a bit reckless

MR NINE wrote: »
    I might possibly play lallana ahead of Gerrard and have Allen deep and lallana and hendo in front but it could be a bit reckless

I'd probably have Gerrard deep with Lallana and Hendo in front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I'd probably have Gerrard deep with Lallana and Hendo in front.

Ludogratesly tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Only had one eye on the game last night because I was in work, disappointing performance but I don't think there is a need to panic yet. Biggest worry is the same as last year, when the opposition attack us it looks like a hot knife going through butter - I'm not sure whether this is down to the system we're playing or the players we have, but something needs to be done about it because without Suarez this season we probably won't score as many goals, so we certainly need to concede less.

Hopefully Valdes can be brought in, after that then I think the team really just needs to gel and get used to one another. Last night 3 of the back 4 are new signings and even Sakho has only been here for a year, in a team that is probably much more attacking than any of the back 4 are used to it must be hard to adjust, I'm hoping that within a few weeks it will be a bit tighter at the back, there is a lot of expectation on Lovren after paying so much money for him, he needs to perform.

There was very little movement in the final third last night, unfortunately Balotelli isn't that type of player. It makes sense to start with Borini against west ham, I think if Balotelli is playing with movement around him he could be very good. Overall I don't think it's too much more than teething problems, it will take a while for so many new players to adjust but once we can grind out results until they gel then we can't have too many complaints.

Someone made an interesting point a few pages back that they are beginning to wonder if Rodgers is capable of holding onto a lead, I'm beginning to wonder that myself. Whatever way the team has set up since he has taken over we look incredibly vulnerable when the opposition are on the attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

daithijjj wrote: »
    Some of ye need to ban yerselves from posting until at least 2 hours after a game.

Lovren has been in the team '5 mins', i have every confidence in him and less on others around him.

Mignolet on the other hand, i watch him and i think he gives everyone around him the heebie jeebies, thus affecting their play in general.

Sturridge is a massive miss.

Henderson is a soldier for this team.

Most of these players will be fine given time. They just dont know each other well enough, too many new bodies around for cohesion.

I think the post above needs to be read again by some people. This is going to take some time to gel. The loss of Suarez is gargantuan as expected and there are a lot of new additions. We werent exactly firing at this stage last season either.

I expect a topsy turvy few weeks ahead to be honest but if we can keep the points board ticking over then we will be fine as I fully expect us to grow into the season.

I think the post above needs to be read again by some people. This is going to take some time to gel. The loss of Suarez is gargantuan as expected and there are a lot of new additions. We werent exactly firing at this stage last season either.

I expect a topsy turvy few weeks ahead to be honest but if we can keep the points board ticking over then we will be fine as I fully expect us to grow into the season.

Have to agree with this. Some good signs so far, loss of Sturridge is a pain, new players need to gel yada yada yada. Nowhere near panic stations. Points will come and we'll click.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Kinda surprised to hear this, seemed very nervy,tense and quiet at times on the telly.....although I was watching it on TV3 which automatically sucks the life out of anything

You would think that TV3, knowing that LFC were out of the Champions League for the last 5 years and knowing that an awful lot of their viewers last night are Liverpool supporters that they might have shown YNWA before the game in its entirety. Instead we got a clip with them talking over it as much as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Muahahaha wrote: »
    You would think that TV3, knowing that LFC were out of the Champions League for the last 5 years and knowing that an awful lot of their viewers last night are Liverpool supporters that they might have shown YNWA before the game in its entirety. Instead we got a clip with them talking over it as much as possible.

Ah but the champions league isn't a big deal. I know this because I read about it in the united thread. We'd be better off not in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Saurez may be a lot of things, but he is most definitely NOT an orangutan. Good day to you, sir!

Saurez may be a lot of things, but he is most definitely NOT an orangutan. Good day to you, sir!

viggo01.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

G Johnson Hip/Thigh Injury no return date

I like that bit.

Team for WHU away this weekend I'd go with would be

Mig
    Manquillo Lovern Sakho Moreno
    Gerrard
    Henderson Lallana
    Sterling
    Balotelli Lambert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'm sure it's already been said but my thoughts on last night are:

- Not convincing
    - Fúckit, it's 3 points
    - I love Alberto Moreno
    - Manquillo is refreshingly solid in comparison with Johnson
    - Gerrard was caught in no mans land for our goal, very poor midfield play
    - Balotellis finish was lovely
    - We badly miss Sturridge roaming & causing trouble
    - The referee was a disaster
    - Coutihno....I don't know what to say really, he was very, very poor
    - Lallana was close on as bad but he's settling back after a knee injury, I'm sure he'll improve

And last but not least...

- It's great to be breaking down a game midweek again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

TV3 is always brutal for matches I watched it on utv.
    Very poor performance I taught and I know its been said loads but there is a good few new players and it will take time for them to gel, but I think they are all looking good individually which is a good sign!

But my biggest worry is how shockingly bad Migolet is! What was he at for their goal! and he does this time and time again, all the top teams have top keepers even the scum have a top keeper! We sadly have an average at best one and this for me is the most important issue that needs to be addressed..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Scum. Great banter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

VIDEO: Alberto Moreno vs Ludogorets in 720HD (just select HD on settings :P)

Man of the Match deservedly. Just watch.

Match highlights:

http://www.lastminutegoals.org/liverpool-vs-ludogorets-razgrad-champions-league-group-b/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Is Gerrard capable of playing 3 games in 7 days?

Sorry to be pedantic but I just want to dispel a myth,

People often say that CL teams have to play 3 games a week.

But a game on Saturday-Wednesday- Saturday is actually 2 games in a week not 3.
    And Saturday to Saturday is 8 days not 7.

People often say it's 3 games and then double count the weekend game again and say the following week is 3 games.

Probably get slated for it but I just had to say it. I feel better now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

I think Gerrard needs to be dropped for a game or two as he is not playing great and even the best need to be dropped from time to time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

benny79 wrote: »
    I think Gerrard needs to be dropped for a game or two as he is not playing great and even the best need to be dropped from time to time...

Not until Allen and/or Can are back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The Mig wrote: »
    I like that bit.

Team for WHU away this weekend I'd go with would be

Mig
    Manquillo Lovern Sakho Moreno
    Gerrard
    Henderson Lallana
    Sterling
    Balotelli Lambert
    Allen should start if fit. Lambert & Balotelli would be too static. I would go

Mignolet
    Manquillo Lovren Sakho Moreno
    Gerrard
    Henderson Allen
    Sterling
    Balotelli Borini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Gerrard will play Saturday. He had no games between 31 August and 13 September and will not play between next saturday and the following saturday. That means he will have played 270 minutes football in 28 days.

I'm sure he can handle 3 games in 8 (Murpho999 is spot on!) days. Some people (not just on here) treat the idea of players playing 3 games in a row as akin to Waterboarding! Players don't 'break' that easily.

Whether he would deserve to play saturday if everyone was fit is a separate issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

It always amazes me at how starkly different waterboarding and snowboarding are.

Bring a kid snowboarding and then ask them do they want to try waterboarding next. They'd be all like, "Do I what! Lets be having it!".

Some fucking shock the poor bastards would get.

Then again, maybe that's how they lure the terrorist to Guantanamo in the first place?

All that bending over and shouting, and proclaiming Jihad and stuff. It looks tiring mate. Have a holiday on us. Go on. Nice little beach resort. Sea, sun, and sand. What more do you want? Activities you say? Tell ya what, we'll bring ya waterboarding. That sounds fun, doesn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So are we moving from the SAS to the B&B then :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

It seems a bit lousy on Rickie Lambert that Borini has jumped ahead of him in the pecking order.

If I remember right, Rodgers said last week that Lambert would play in the cup game. Maybe he meant the capital one cup!

Maybe Borini is showing more hunger in training to prove a point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

So are we moving from the SAS to the B&B then :p

Nope, we're moving to LOL as was mentioned in the humour thread. Lallana, Origi and Lambert. Lallana has been injured, Origi won't wear a Liverpool shirt this season and Lambert was never bought to start. Makes sense to some though I suppose :)

dogbert27 wrote: »
    It seems a bit lousy on Rickie Lambert that Borini has jumped ahead of him in the pecking order.

If I remember right, Rodgers said last week that Lambert would play in the cup game. Maybe he meant the capital one cup!

Or Balotelli and Lambert are just too similar in their build/presence and Borini offers something different that compliments one of the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Knex. wrote: »
    It always amazes me at how starkly different waterboarding and snowboarding are.

Bring a kid snowboarding and then ask them do they want to try waterboarding next. They'd be all like, "Do I what! Lets be having it!".

Some fucking shock the poor bastards would get.

Then again, maybe that's how they lure the terrorist to Guantanamo in the first place?

All that bending over and shouting, and proclaiming Jihad and stuff. It looks tiring mate. Have a holiday on us. Go on. Nice little beach resort. Sea, sun, and sand. What more do you want? Activities you say? Tell ya what, we'll bring ya waterboarding. That sounds fun, doesn't it?

Eh.....wut??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

dogbert27 wrote: »

I don't think it's a case of Borini jumping ahead - it's just horses for courses. Borini's ability to run around like a half lunatic was probably the right call last night.

x43r0 wrote: »
    Eh.....wut??

Blame Benimar. He mentioned waterboarding, and as a result, you all got my unfiltered thoughts.

Count yourself lucky, you only have to read it once in a while. I live with this shit all day, every day. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Grayditch wrote: »
    Scum. Great banter.

Great movie, love Ray Winstone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I don't think it's a case of Borini jumping ahead - it's just horses for courses. Borini's ability to run around like a half lunatic was probably the right call last night.

It looks so that Lambert is Balotelli's replacement on the bench and Borini is for Sturridge.

Very surprised at this. Thought they were our best players by a mile, without whom we'd have certainly lost.

Moreno MOTM for me.

Think I counted 3 over hit crosses by Moreno in the 1st half.

Both were caught out of position on a few occasions 2nd half too.

Henderson MOTM for me. Was the only one to come away with a good performance imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Gbear wrote: »

Gerrard was ok. Just isn't involved a whole lot in our general play these days.
    His set piece delivery was mostly pretty poor. Nice to have a virtually guaranteed penalty taker though.
    I'm eager to see what our midfield looks like with someone more mobile. It's a bit sad seeing what was such an amazing player doing a menial task that pretty much any of our midfielders could do just as well.

I thought Gerrard was poor tbh.. was poor for the goal and switched off at times defensively...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

rarnes1 wrote: »

Henderson MOTM for me. Was the only one to come away with a good performance imo

A couple of wayward ones alright but still, his crossing is a breath of fresh air when you compare it to what we've seen from Enrique over the past few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Not too worried yet by the performance last night. A lot of extenuating factors as others have said- lots of new players,an opposition keen to have a big performance in their first game, stage fright maybe a little bit etc.

I'm more worried that even though we can athletically dominate many teams we don't have a player who will allow us to actually control a game. Unfortunately I don't see that changing while Stevie is playing the quarterback role. Really we need some sort of Claude makelale/ yaya toure hybrid in there but I can't think of anyone realistic who would be available and any team that has a player like that won't want to sell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

tritium wrote: »
    I'm more worried that even though we can athletically dominate many teams we don't have a player who will allow us to actually control a game. Unfortunately I don't see that changing while Stevie is playing the quarterback role. Really we need some sort of Claude makelale/ yaya toure hybrid in there but I can't think of anyone realistic who would be available and any team that has a player like that won't want to sell

I think we hope that Can will be that player...

A couple of wayward ones alright but still, his crossing is a breath of fresh air when you compare it to what we've seen from Enrique over the past few years.

Bigtime, not disputing this at all.

Also, the guy looks very good since he signed on the whole. Just didn't think he was anything special last night, but nobody was.

Bigtime, not disputing this at all.

Also, the guy looks very good since he signed on the whole. Just didn't think he was anything special last night, but nobody was.

He was caught out for their goal big time, he was miles up the pitch at 1-0 up in the 90th minute.... although Sterling shouldnt have lost the ball and CM should have been in better positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

tritium wrote: »

Fernando was the player Liverpool could (and should) have bought had Rodgers any willingness to buy such a player. Its clear enough he has no interest in doing so though.

He put one into a dangerous area, and the other two were overhit, alright. But in fairness, no winger or fullback has perfect crosses.

Overall, I found his ability on the ball to be extremely good. He had some great through balls and crosses, and I'm expecting him to be a really good player for us.

Saved our asses with the tackle after Sakho slid too early, and a few moments later he's putting the ball in for Balotelli's goal.

He also laid one right onto the head of Henderson, as well.

Manquillo was very solid, and put a great ball in himself at one stage. He supports the attack well, and throws himself about when needed also. Winning the penalty was massive.

I don't think you can ask too much more from your fullbacks, tbh, especially on a night when everyone else around them were so poor.

Don't think Henderson was anything amazing last night myself, tbh. He did grand, but he's capable of far better (as is everyone)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

but he's injured currently, and couldn't have played.

Not that hard to understand, is it?
    Why is it that i always feel a little bit more miserable after reading your posts?
    Super-Rush wrote: »
    Jesus wept.
    Wait a second.

Sir Gallagher is Jesus?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

5live wrote: »
    Wait a second.

Sir Gallagher is Jesus?

I'm Batman

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

On one hand you're right and the other you're wrong when it comes to Balotelli last night.

You're right in the fact that he should have been getting into the box more.
    You're wrong in the fact that he was inside our own half multiple times helping the team out defensively. He wasn't busting his balls ala Hendo, but he wasn't just standing idly by outside the box either.

Just on this point; I think it was around the 60 min mark, and Ludo were counter-attacking. Lallana was jogging back, not a care in the world. Henderson spots it, then takes off like a scalded cat, tracks Lallana's man, makes the tackle, then gives the ball to Lallana. As if to say "this is the work rate we expect here." He really set an example.

I think the biggest thing we miss about Suarez is the fact that his work-rate was infectious, and you need to lead from the front. I don't see this work-rate in Lallana, but was happy with Mario's efforts last night.

He put one into a dangerous area, and the other two were overhit, alright. But in fairness, no winger or fullback has perfect crosses.

Overall, I found his ability on the ball to be extremely good. He had some great through balls and crosses, and I'm expecting him to be a really good player for us.

Saved our asses with the tackle after Sakho slid too early, and a few moments later he's putting the ball in for Balotelli's goal.

He also laid one right onto the head of Henderson, as well.

Manquillo was very solid, and put a great ball in himself at one stage. He supports the attack well, and throws himself about when needed also. Winning the penalty was massive.

I don't think you can ask too much more from your fullbacks, tbh, especially on a night when everyone else around them were so poor.

Don't think Henderson was anything amazing last night myself, tbh. He did grand, but he's capable of far better (as is everyone)

That tackle he made was incredible. Was a certain goal I'd say.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement