Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Just on this point; I think it was around the 60 min mark, and Ludo were counter-attacking. Lallana was jogging back, not a care in the world. Henderson spots it, then takes off like a scalded cat, tracks Lallana's man, makes the tackle, then gives the ball to Lallana. As if to say "this is the work rate we expect here." He really set an example.

I think the biggest thing we miss about Suarez is the fact that his work-rate was infectious, and you need to lead from the front. I don't see this work-rate in Lallana, but was happy with Mario's efforts last night.
    Hopefully that is just because he is only back from injury. His workrate with southampton last year was very impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pushing myself to my limit right now for real. Closer to fitness each day!!

BxvJ5SXCcAAal-l.jpg

— Daniel Sturridge (@D_Sturridge) September 17, 2014

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I'm Batman

I'm Spartacus. And so's my wife! :D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

2 Daniel Sturridges? That would come in handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

BxuetfcIEAAKgbY.png

Sturridge coming back will improve Ballotellis game alot imo.

He'll get more space as he won't be as isolated for a start. Also when he does drop deeper, it'll leave space for Sturridge in behind.

Love to see him back for the derby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

You have to imagine how hard it would be for 2 CBs to mark them, as it was with Danny and Luis. Very different types of players, but physically capable, able of great close control, strong with their back to goal, quick and direct.

Would keep a lot of defences very worried!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Love Carra on Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Aubrey loves Joe

We were poor but Lou Gehrigs were a lot better than i thought they would be

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Knex. wrote: »
    Nah, to be fair, I've watched every game so far this season with other people.

That's not to say I wouldn't say it to myself though. I quite probably would.

Match thread Saps do not count my good man.

Love that reply from Carra on Twitter above!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Someone needs to take Gerrard off free kicks as well. His delivery from set pieces was poor again last night.
    Our first free kick of the night was down the anfield road end, left hand side, about a yard away from their box and gerrard hits the first man. His corners werent up to much either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Someone needs to take Gerrard off free kicks as well. His delivery from set pieces was poor again last night.
    Our first free kick of the night was down the anfield road end, left hand side, about a yard away from their box and gerrard hits the first man. His corners werent up to much either.

Gerrards corners can be hit or miss, but usually his free kicks from wide areas are top drawer. It's a complete myth thats he's bad at either imo.

Take this from last season for example.

Nerdlingr wrote: »

His corners have never been brilliant but I'd still have him on them, he at least tries to fizz them in, Coutinho, Hendo, Aspas have all taken corners, but a bit too floaty for my liking. Frees like the one you mention is normally where Gerrard thrives, the one where he can whip it towards the far corner is prime territory for him imo.

Gerrards corners can be hit or miss, but usually his free kicks from wide areas are top drawer. It's a complete myth thats he's bad at either imo.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/02/25/set-piece-kings-gerrard-rooney-lead-the-way/

Pardon me Sir, I seem to have parrot-ed you there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Think Carra is being a bit harsh on Moreno for the goal.

Replays showed it was two passes down the centre of the field that resulted in the goal and it was actually Gerrard or Lucas who should have been in position ahead of the CB's to intercept the pass.

• Advertisement

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Think Carra is being a bit harsh on Moreno for the goal.

Replays showed it was two passes down the centre of the field that resulted in the goal and it was actually Gerrard or Lucas who should have been in position ahead of the CB's to intercept the pass.

I disagree, it's a bit Kamikaze when you're 1-0 in the 90th minute to be overlapping Sterling and taking himself out of the game, let Sterling run at them, Moreno should have stayed put imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Nobody else mentioned it but I though Sterling was fouled in the lead up to their goal.

So did he from his reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Moreno isnt at fault for that goal atall, He went for the overlap with Sterling who took to much time on the ball and lost it, stood there in a huff waiving his hands around looking for a free kick. Then you see Moreno run by and try get back to help defend. Sterling seems to be immune from any blame which is ridiculous. Then to make things worse Ming makes a horrendous decision trying to come out when there was absolutely no need to.

Might I add on Moreno, that it may not necessarily have been his fault, BR might have encouraged him to do that but really he should be barking at him to stay back in that situation

ASOT wrote: »
    Moreno isnt at fault for that goal atall, He went for the overlap with Sterling who took to much time on the ball and lost it, stood there in a huff waiving his hands around looking for a free kick. Then you see Moreno run by and try get back to help defend. Sterling seems to be immune from any blame which is ridiculous. Then to make things worse Ming makes a horrendous decision trying to come out when there was absolutely no need to.

When you break the goal down it was actually a catlogue of errors by a few players, Moreno was a small part of it, I'm not saying he's fully culpable or anything, deffo Sterling, Gerrard, Lucas, Lovren, Mignolet could all have done better, even Sakho seemed to be in a bit of no mans land but didn't see a good replay to see where he was coming from or what he was doing.

• Advertisement

Might I add on Moreno, that it may not necessarily have been his fault, BR might have encouraged him to do that but really he should be barking at him to stay back in that situation

But Gerrard was equally out of position just behind Sterling and got caught out by the pass. It was his channel that the ball was played through. Not the area that Moreno had left open.

Fescue wrote: »
    Nobody else mentioned it but I though Sterling was fouled in the lead up to their goal.

So did he from his reaction.

I thought it was a brilliant tackle, twice! from the best player on the pitch last night... Caicara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

When you break the goal down it was actually a catlogue of errors by a few players, Moreno was a small part of it, I'm not saying he's fully culpable or anything, deffo Sterling, Gerrard, Lucas, Lovren, Mignolet could all have done better, even Sakho seemed to be in a bit of no mans land but didn't see a good replay to see where he was coming from or what he was doing.

Yeah i should have been a bit more clear in my post, maybe going for the overlap wasnt the smartest move at that point in the game but saying that its our playing style. Sterling was the main culprit i taught other than Ming. Football 101, play the whistle its quite simple. Dont stand ther waving your arms in the air the ref wont change his mind!

ASOT wrote: »
    Yeah i should have been a bit more clear in my post, maybe going for the overlap wasnt the smartest move at that point in the game but saying that its our playing style. Sterling was the main culprit i taught other than Ming. Football 101, play the whistle its quite simple. Dont stand ther waving your arms in the air the ref wont change his mind!

Footballing 101 to me would be when you're in the last minutes with a lead to have the defenders stay back.

I know that's our style and it's good but we need to learn how to kill games off like that.

Yeah, Moreno was actually ahead of sterling when he lost the ball - crazy when its the 91min and yer 1-0 up. Which in turn meant Sakho covering the left hand side and the gap opening up to play their player in behind Lovren. I still think ultimately Migonlet should take a lot of the blame...I dont understand what he was thinking in coming for a ball he was never gonna get.

Are there highlights anywhere for the game does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

But Gerrard was equally out of position just behind Sterling and got caught out by the pass. It was his channel that the ball was played through. Not the area that Moreno had left open.

But Sakho was further out to the left to cover Moreno's position as he was up the other end. I'm pretty sure there was a player in the right wing role for them and that's why Sakho moved out there. That created space for the ball to be played between him and Lovren! If Moreno stays at left back, Sakho can stay more central and the space is prob not there for the ball to be threaded thru the middle.

Plenty of players can be blamed for the goal but I def don't think Sakho is culpable!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

On Moreno bombing forward in the 90th minute this is what Rodgers wants based on his time in charge he would view going 2 0 up as killing the game off rather than changing tactics at 1 0 up. Sometimes this works sometimes like last night it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

rarnes1 wrote: »

Maybe UEFA's site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Match thread Saps do not count my good man.

Love that reply from Carra on Twitter above!

I've moved on from ye saps. Bad influence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

On Moreno bombing forward in the 90th minute this is what Rodgers wants based on his time in charge he would view going 2 0 up as killing the game off rather than changing tactics at 1 0 up. Sometimes this works sometimes like last night it doesn't.

I can understand trying to kill a game when you are 1-0 up and 30 minutes still left to play but at 1-0 up in the 90th minute you shouldn't have any defenders bombing up the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I can understand trying to kill a game when you are 1-0 up and 30 minutes still left to play but at 1-0 up in the 90th minute you shouldn't have any defenders bombing up the field.

I agree but I wouldn't blame Moreno Id imagine the instructions from rodgers are to keep doing what your doing.

I agree but I wouldn't blame Moreno Id imagine the instructions from rodgers are to keep doing what your doing you sexy thing.
    fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Be more like Rodgers to call him, "A beautiful young man", I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

The probability of a goal would have been brought way down if Mignolet had just stayed where he was and a) given Sakho or Lovren time to get back for a block and b) make the angle to shoot at smaller.

kfallon wrote: »
    But Sakho was further out to the left to cover Moreno's position as he was up the other end. I'm pretty sure there was a player in the right wing role for them and that's why Sakho moved out there. That created space for the ball to be played between him and Lovren! If Moreno stays at left back, Sakho can stay more central and the space is prob not there for the ball to be threaded thru the middle.

Plenty of players can be blamed for the goal but I def don't think Sakho is culpable!

I don't blame Sahko either.

My point is if Gerrard was in his correct position the ball would never have made it towards the centre backs.

Knex. wrote: »
    I've moved on from ye saps. Bad influence.

how-dare-u.gif

I've never posted in a match thread during the match, not my thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Just a quick reminder. We played in and won our first CL game in 5 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I think Ludogogrets might take a point or more off Basle which would do us favours further down the line. Don't see them beating Real though.

• Advertisement

Just looked at the goal again.

My final conclusion is that if Mignolet stayed on his line the guy wouldn't have scored.

Lovren was edging him further right with Henderson coming in behind covering him.

Mignolet rushing out made it easy for the player to get the shot away early.

I blame the keeper! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

rarnes1 wrote: »

Highlights from the game last night as well as all the other CL games if anyone is interested :)

http://www.footballorgin.com/2014/09/champions-league-2014-2015-highlights.html?m=1

Here's a doomsday scenario that I pondered, Basel turn us over on their own patch (wouldn't be a mega shock) They then beat Ludo Home & Away while we get humped by Real twice, then the table will be Real 12, Basel 9 Us 3 Ludo 0, or in other words we'd be royally fcked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Just as bad was the sight of Lucas, the man brought on to plug the hole in the middle, lost on the halfway line as Ludogorets cut through us when Sterling lost the ball. Incredibly naive stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Or....Sturridge is back everyone is much better integrated and fit Liverpool beat Baal (as I like to call them) at home draw them away beat Ludo away and get thrashed only by Real Madrid. 10 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Just looked at the goal again.

My final conclusion is that if Mignolet stayed on his line the guy wouldn't have scored.

Lovren was edging him further right with Henderson coming in behind covering him.

Mignolet rushing out made it easy for the player to get the shot away early.

I blame the keeper! :)

It's taken you this long? Mignolet's fault for sure but to allow ourselves to be taken out by two passes when we had the win in sight and the ball in their half was poor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

mosstin wrote: »
    Just as bad was the sight of Lucas, the man brought on to plug the hole in the middle, lost on the halfway line as Ludogorets cut through us when Sterling lost the ball. Incredibly naive stuff.

We are incredibly naiive. We need to develop a bit of cynicism in our play. It's time we learned to park the bus. Or at least park the minibus.

In summation lads, it was an all round naive display of Kamikaze defending and tactics from every player to management!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

mosstin wrote: »

Moreno went forward, Sakho pushed to LB Lovren CB and Lucas DM went Left side to cover. Ball was played to Ludo mid. Gerrard and Henderson were stuck marking each other while Lucas was stuck between 2 Ludo mids. Sakho had the overlapping forward covered so he was out wider than usual leaving Lovren stretched.

Yes Lucas didn't put pressure on the mid for his excellent pass but he was left with 2 players to cover. However had Mignolet not rushed off his line like a rookie Lovren had the pace and strength to push the Ludo forward out wide.

Mignolet has to seriously up his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Mignolet would have been beaten on his near post.

Rodgers says a chat with Ballotelli was a factor in his goal.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rodgers-reveals-how-half-time-chat-7786497

Good man management

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement