Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

All Sterling needed to do was pass the ball to Moreno and none of that would have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Bxw284NCMAAOq1y.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

All Sterling needed to do was pass the ball to Moreno and none of that would have happened.

Ball was kind of stuck under his feet at the time no?

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/calciomercato/milan-suso-reach-agreement-the-details-of-the-deal/
    Suso will leave Liverpool to join Milan, the only question remaining is when. The Spanish prospect born in 1993 has reached an agreement with Milan on a 4 year deal with annual salary of around €1.5 million net. It still needs to be determined if Liverpool will let him leave for Italy in January in exchange for a small financial package or if he’ll join the rossoneri on a free transfer in June. The two clubs will discuss it since Milan will make an attempt to bring him to Italy sooner.

I didn't think so - he had it then he tried to keep it under pressure. Moreno having overlapped on his left it was an easy tap across.

(am I imagining it or did we already know that Suso was offski?)

• Advertisement

It was mentioned before yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Shame about suso but cant complain about it, he has his head screwed on and know he needs first team football so fair play to him for that, when he leaves another youth player comes closer to the first team and there is as always lately an exciting few attackers coming through, tex and ibe will return too hopefully ready to challenge for places too.

I think Balotelli is more of a traditional striker, he'll make an effort to an extent backtracking and doing some defensive work because that's largely required today by most club teams, he's a great athlete so he'll contribute that as he has to.

His bread and butter is attack though, he won't be a Suarez workrate wise or class wise but he's levels above the Kuyts and Borinis of this world, for the price paid we can accept him for what he is and enjoy him getting a decent lash of goals over the course of the season.

He'll play well with Sturridge, Suarez would have hated playing with him, both Balotelli and Sturridge can independently do their respective thing while complementing each other, Balotelli might well attempt to p1ss and moan when Sturridge shoots into the side netting rather than passing to him but Sturridge won't give a fiddler's feck and Balo won't be too bothered either........

It's be grand :D

Seriously I think they'll be brilliant together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Augeo wrote: »
    I think Balotelli is more of a traditional striker, he'll make an effort to an extent backtracking and doing some defensive work because that's largely required today by most club teams, he's a great athlete so he'll contribute that as he has to.

His bread and butter is attack though, he won't be a Suarez workrate wise or class wise but he's levels above the Kuyts and Borinis of this world, for the price paid we can accept him for what he is and enjoy him getting a decent lash of goals over the course of the season.

He'll play well with Sturridge, Suarez would have hated playing with him, both Balotelli and Sturridge can independently do their respective thing while complementing each other, Balotelli might well attempt to p1ss and moan when Sturridge shoots into the side netting rather than passing to him but Sturridge won't give a fiddler's feck and Balo won't be too bothered either........

It's be grand :D

Seriously I think they'll be brilliant together.

offensively the two lads may click, but defensively, I'm worried and closing down from the front may cause a big Tissue for us imo, especially in the champions league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

mada999 wrote: »
    offensively the two lads may click, but defensively, I'm worried and closing down from the front may cause a big Tissue for us imo, especially in the champions league

Going on last night that won't be a problem.

My only slight concern about Balotelli's work rate is about what he does when we're in possession rather than what he does defensively.

That might be a case of having to work smarter than harder though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Fun fact no.1 Real Madrid have never beaten Liverpool in a competitive match

Fun fact no.2 Real Madrid have never scored a goal against Liverpool in a competitive match

These things usually go in threes but I'm all out of fun facts for now :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Fun fact no. 3 Real Madrid play their home games in Madrid and won't like the atmosphere in Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

LOAN WATCH (mini edition)

J Ibe - last 20 for Derby in 2-3 away win
    B Jones - 85 mins for Swindon in 2-2 home draw
    J C Teixeira - 75 mins and an assist for Brighton in 3-2 away defeat (that's 2 goals and 2 assists I think since he joined)

Ibe needs to be getting more minutes, maybe he's not 100%?
    Jones (or is it Smith?? :)) is a clear starter for them, every game will help him. I wonder if he'll end up as a wide player like Milner, rather than a FB?
    Teix is doing very well, but let's see when the weather and fatigue kicks in.

How about the guys abroad? No half measures here...

Ilori, Paez and Alberto are all starting games, mixed results but we only care about them getting minutes.
    Origi had a goal and an assist at the weekend - great back post header for his goal.
    He's a big guy, very similar to Danny, he will be a GREAT addition next season...

Dickerty wrote: »
    Ibe needs to be getting more minutes, maybe he's not 100%?
    Jones (or is it Smith?? :)) is a clear starter for them, every game will help him. I wonder if he'll end up as a wide player like Milner, rather than a FB?
    Teix is doing very well, but let's see when the weather and fatigue kicks in.

How about the guys abroad? No half measures here...
    Dickerty wrote: »
    Ilori, Paez and Alberto are all starting games, mixed results but we only care about them getting minutes.
    Origi had a goal and an assist at the weekend - great back post header for his goal.
    He's a big guy, very similar to Danny, he will be a GREAT addition next season...

here is the main summary from the weekend action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

That loan period to Almeria wrecked him. He came back with all sorts of bad habits. I fear we might end up making the same mistake with Ibe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

That loan period to Almeria wrecked him. He came back with all sorts of bad habits. I fear we might end up making the same mistake with Ibe.
    What habits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

We won't. McClaren is a very good coach & Derby play good football. I can him him doing very well there.

D'Agger wrote: »
    What habits?
    Ball retention and decision making mainly. He was a very tidy player before he left us, became a headless chicken when he came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Ball retention and decision making mainly. He was a very tidy player before he left us, became a headless chicken when he came back.

What are you talking about? He has played a bit in pre-season and thats about it... and he played well iirc. Headless chicken? Hardly.

• Advertisement

That's more like it. :)

I keep forgetting Wisdom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

@31sterling !!!!! Loool ops! Mario still the Champion in ping pong!

http://instagram.com/p/tFDHprrj8B/

He's sure mixing well! Having Borini there, and him already being an English speaker, he should have no problem settling in with his fellow attackers!

gafferino wrote: »
    What are you talking about? He has played a bit in pre-season and thats about it... and he played well iirc. Headless chicken? Hardly.

I can clearly see you know about the player, one 18 second youtube clip tells you everything you could possibly need to know :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I can clearly see you know about the player, one 18 second youtube clip tells you everything you could possibly need to know :pac::pac:

In fairness I don't know how you can say he came back to Liverpool a headless chicken. Based on what? He only made a couple friendly appearances and looked fairly good, scored two nice goals and played pretty well. Unless you mean he was crap with Almeria?

Ok well how about you enlighten me as to why since he has come back to Liverpool he is a headless chicken with poor ball retention and bad decision making?

Looks like Skrtel is back....

1551578_10152843103032573_5327014535118280938_n.jpg?oh=52cd7077281b6009506f1bd18c79c9f2&oe=5487351E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jon-flanagan-facing-extended-absence-7793499

Flanagan out for a number of months. Seems to get injured quite often. I hope he doesn't go on to have a similar career to Martin Kelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

MD1990 wrote: »
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jon-flanagan-facing-extended-absence-7793499

Flanagan out for a number of months. Seems to get injured quite often. I hope he doesn't go on to have a similar career to Martin Kelly.

That's a shame. Was expecting him to come in for Manquillo when he was fit, but at least we have cover at both fullback positions.

• Advertisement

MR NINE wrote: »
    In fairness I don't know how you can say he came back to Liverpool a headless chicken. Based on what? He only made a couple friendly appearances and looked fairly good, scored two nice goals and played pretty well. Unless you mean he was crap with Almeria?
    This Francie - how you can state he's still a good player or a bad player based on hardly seeing any of him this season - and even at that we've only seen him in friendlies, nothing competitive.

I've no doubt he's a talent but he's definitely lacking something - drive or desire - you can see Sterling has it and has helped himself to push on in his career.

Ah I'm gutted for him, I hope he recovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Would definetly like to see Skrtel & Lovren for a few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Ah crap, Allen is still out too.

In that case I'd probably prefer the following line up for Saturday.

Mignolet
    Manquillo Lovren Sahko Moreno
    Gerrard

Henderson Lallana

Sterling

Borini Balotelli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

tok9 wrote: »

Mignolet
    Gerrard

Henderson Lallana

Sterling

Borini Balotelli

Yep I'd like to see that line-up myself.

Nice how Wee Joe Allen is starting to get a bit of credit round here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Arah :( disappointed for him. Really enjoyed some of his performances last season. Some cracking tackles, particularly against United. Hope it doesn't have a major impact on his LFC career, Martin Kelly springs to mind.

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »

Mignolet
    Gerrard

Henderson Lallana

Sterling

Borini Balotelli

I dont want to give up on Coutinho just yet, I'd be tempted to throw Sterling up beside Mario and give Coutinho another go in behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I am pie wrote: »
    I dont want to give up on Coutinho just yet, I'd be tempted to throw Sterling up beside Mario and give Coutinho another go in behind.

We have enough players around now that we can give him a week off, take him out of the firing line. He was not good the last 2 games.

We have enough players around now that we can give him a week off, take him out of the firing line. He was not good the last 2 games.

I think a week off works better for fatigue, I'd back him and put him in. I also think Sterling might work well running past Mario as he holds the ball up.

Like a deluxe version of Heskey and Owen ! I think it might create some space for COutinho to play. I dont see what Borini offers, apart from not being bad at anything, he's not much of an impact player.

Almost as much as the points we need a performance here.

Ok well how about you enlighten me as to why since he has come back to Liverpool he is a headless chicken with poor ball retention and bad decision making?
    I can only go by what my eyes see.

When he left us, I saw a player who was a lot calmer, who could knock the ball around, who didn't lose possession trying silly passes and expose his team to counter attacks. I watched about half his games at Almeria, and he looked a different player, they moved him into a wider winger type role and had him trying to beat players and put in crosses. It was a style of play that did not suit him, and from what I could see in pre-season, he returned to us, was put in a similar role and was doing the same things as he did at Almeria.

His career here is obviously over and I think Milan will be a good club for him. They will play with a lot more patience, they will probably tuck him into a central role a bit more to utilize his excellent one touch play and give him more support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Looks like Skrtel is back....

1551578_10152843103032573_5327014535118280938_n.jpg?oh=52cd7077281b6009506f1bd18c79c9f2&oe=5487351E

Hmmm... Not to be all narky and stuff, but while I do like seeing pics of the team training, and having fun and bonding and all that, shouldn't they be like, I don't know, practising how to *defend*, not play Headtennis (or whatever it's called)? Unless we've got some important Headtennis games coming up against our rivals that I wasn't aware of?

J.

• Advertisement

D'Agger wrote: »
    This Francie - how you can state he's still a good player or a bad player based on hardly seeing any of him this season - and even at that we've only seen him in friendlies, nothing competitive.
    If you go back to all the under 21/Almeria games, you'll see I report on most. I have watched a lot of Suso. He should have remained with us last season and not been sent on loan. I am not saying he would have been another Sterling, but I think he could have been a good squad player for us. Certainly better than Aspas/Moses though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

jasonb wrote: »
    Hmmm... Not to be all narky and stuff, but while I do like seeing pics of the team training, and having fun and bonding and all that, shouldn't they be like, I don't know, practising how to *defend*, not play Headtennis (or whatever it's called)? Unless we've got some important Headtennis games coming up against our rivals that I wasn't aware of?

J.

It would be a bit counter productive if we let the opposition see how we are going to set up.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It would be a bit counter productive if we let the opposition see how we are going to set up.

I get that, I really do. But at the same time stop releasing pics of the lads messing around when clearly we have issues to address, you know?

J.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

J.
    Stop being narky. It's obviously a little end of session game. I'm sure they were practising how to *defend* prior to that picture!

I can only go by what my eyes see.

When he left us, I saw a player who was a lot calmer, who could knock the ball around, who didn't lose possession trying silly passes and expose his team to counter attacks. I watched about half his games at Almeria, and he looked a different player, they moved him into a wider winger type role and had him trying to beat players and put in crosses. It was a style of play that did not suit him, and from what I could see in pre-season, he returned to us, was put in a similar role and was doing the same things as he did at Almeria.

His career here is obviously over and I think Milan will be a good club for him. They will play with a lot more patience, they will probably tuck him into a central role a bit more to utilize his excellent one touch play and give him more support.

Ok well we will have to disagree then because I also watched him at Almeria and saw many good things. I think the couple of games he played with us in pre-season he did well. But we havent seen him since so to say he is a headless chicken and whatever other stuff said is complete hyperbole on your part.

Rodgers at the presser:

Rodgers: "Javi at right-back is like a rash. He's all over attackers. He gets forward well and wants to create."

If you go back to all the under 21/Almeria games, you'll see I report on most. I have watched a lot of Suso. He should have remained with us last season and not been sent on loan. I am not saying he would have been another Sterling, but I think he could have been a good squad player for us. Certainly better than Aspas/Moses though.

That's a fair point but we've seen nothing of him this season to compare it to. I get that you've seen alot of him but you have very little to compare that to which significantly weakens your point imo

I thought the loan would be good for him but he isn't pushing into the first team which you'd have expected upon his return so it's obviously not stood to him.

I think Ibe is different though, I always make the comparison between Walcott & Ox to Sterling & Ibe - I think he has the talent to be a very good player for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

He hasn't been good since the 1st competitive game. Wasteful, anonymous and with a poor temperament. He definitely needs time benched.

The Mig wrote: »
    Stop being narky. It's obviously a little end of session game. I'm sure they were practising how to *defend* prior to that picture!

You're right, sorry, just giving out a bit in general today...

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

You're right, sorry, just giving out a bit in general today...

J.

A heavy flow day? We all have them luv x

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement