Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

u ok hun?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

jasonb wrote: »
    You're right, sorry, just giving out a bit in general today...

J.
    Cheer up babes xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Rodgers described Manquillo as being like a "rash" today. I think he meant it as a compliment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Caughtoffside have never knowingly undersold a story.

Liverpool Suffer Horror Blow As England Star Ruled Out For ‘Months’ Through Injury
    Liverpool have been hit with a major blow after learning that young full-back Jon Flanagan is set to miss the next few months after having surgery on his left knee, according to the Liverpool Echo.

Obviously not good news as it means Johnson is going to get a game or two at some point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

A heavy flow day? We all have them luv x
    u ok hun?
    The Mig wrote: »
    Cheer up babes xxx

You're all saps... ;)

J.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Caughtoffside have never knowingly undersold a story.

Liverpool Suffer Horror Blow As England Star Ruled Out For ‘Months’ Through Injury

Obviously not good news as it means Johnson is going to get a game or two at some point!

Yes because we've defended and attacked so brilliantly without Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

In fairness now.. Manquillo has already shown he can offer a lot more than Johnson of the last 2 years and I'd be hoping his crossing gets a bit more consistent soon.

He has certainly not done badly since he has come in and I think he should keep his place, but the Johnson hate is a bit much at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Ok as promised, back by popular demand, the infamous Alternative League Table 2014/2015 brought to you by Morzadec.

Sorry for the delay. Might not be quite as active this year, so if anyone feels like they know how it works and wants to update on a Monday if I'm a bit delayed feel free.

First of all, some people think this idea is stupid. That's grand, just ignore it/don't read it. The 'how it works' and the 'point' of it is all explained below, so give it a read and it should answer all your questions.

If you have no idea what this is all about, it's explained here: http://erwinmorzadec.blogspot.com.es/2013/11/how-to-get-into-top-4.html

A lot of people found it interesting/insightful/revelatory or whatever you want to call it, so I'll keep going with it. Also, my initial 'crude' assumption about the league being split into a top 7 tier and a bottom 13 tier is becoming more and more relevant, so if anything this table could be even more accurate this year.

Here's how the table is looking so far:

1. Chelsea: +4
    2. City: -0.5
    3. Liverpool: -1
    4. Spurs: -1.5
    5. Arsenal: -1.5
    6. Everton: -3
    7. United: -4

So this basically confirms how well Chelsea have started, but also how every other team has underachieved so far, even by what would be modest standards for some like City (CL qualification).

Despite the doom of gloom of losing to Villa, our points total is only 1 less than it should be if we were looking for CL qualification as the target, and the other teams have been so poor too that really we're not badly placed at all at this early stage.

United are only one point behind us in the real table, but this table shows that they're probably worse off than just 1 point in the long run given their easy opening 4 fixtures.

Early days yet, but this probably give an accurate enough reflection of where the only teams who have realistic CL aspirations are placed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Fun fact no. 3 Real Madrid play their home games in Madrid and won't like the atmosphere in Anfield.

......where the last time they played they got hockeyed 4-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

All those houses around Melwood in the pic of Skirtel- are they owned by the club? How big is the facility, how many pitches, buildings are owned by LFC?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Morzadec wrote: »
    Ok as promised, back by popular demand, the infamous Alternative League Table 2014/2015 brought to you by Morzadec.

Sorry for the delay. Might not be quite as active this year, so if anyone feels like they know how it works and wants to update on a Monday if I'm a bit delayed feel free.

First of all, some people think this idea is stupid. That's grand, just ignore it/don't read it. The 'how it works' and the 'point' of it is all explained below, so give it a read and it should answer all your questions.

If you have no idea what this is all about, it's explained here: http://erwinmorzadec.blogspot.com.es/2013/11/how-to-get-into-top-4.html

A lot of people found it interesting/insightful/revelatory or whatever you want to call it, so I'll keep going with it. Also, my initial 'crude' assumption about the league being split into a top 7 tier and a bottom 13 tier is becoming more and more relevant, so if anything this table could be even more accurate this year.

Here's how the table is looking so far:

1. Chelsea: +4
    2. City: -0.5
    3. Liverpool: -1
    4. Spurs: -1.5
    5. Arsenal: -1.5
    6. Everton: -3
    7. United: -4

So this basically confirms how well Chelsea have started, but also how every other team has underachieved so far, even by what would be modest standards for some like City (CL qualification).

Despite the doom of gloom of losing to Villa, our points total is only 1 less than it should be if we were looking for CL qualification as the target, and the other teams have been so poor too that really we're not badly placed at all at this early stage.

United are only one point behind us in the real table, but this table shows that they're probably worse off than just 1 point in the long run given their easy opening 4 fixtures.

Early days yet, but this probably give an accurate enough reflection of where the only teams who have realistic CL aspirations are placed.

Now the season has officially started!

You sir are a gent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Morzadec wrote: »

i-know-some-of-these-words.jpg?w=625

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Hey what happened to Hangballlouie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Highlights from the game last night as well as all the other CL games if anyone is interested :)

http://www.footballorgin.com/2014/09/champions-league-2014-2015-highlights.html?m=1

Just watching Tevez in those highlights brings me back to the transfer window and thinking of what could have been, but overall am happy with the window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Augmerson wrote: »
    Hey what happened to Hangballlouie?

Shhhhhh es ist verboten

Muahahaha wrote: »
    ......where the last time they played they got hockeyed 4-0

It might be a 4-0 hammering again this season. Not the way I'd like though probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Eto'o showing in his Everton games thus far that he certainly could have offered us plenty had he joined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

garra wrote: »
    Just watching Tevez in those highlights brings me back to the transfer window and thinking of what could have been, but overall am happy with the window

Yeah but what's with his stupid robot celebration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

hadepsx wrote: »
    Yeah but what's with his stupid robot celebration

They said on Football Weekly that his 5-yr old daughter asked him to do it in the last game and he didn't and she said since that she's not speaking to him until he does the dance

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Eto'o showing in his Everton games thus far that he certainly could have offered us plenty had he joined.

Should have signed him and shipped Borini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Something, something, movement

D'Agger wrote: »
    Something, something, movement

Bowel movement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Bowel movement?

Reggae movement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I think that if we had kept Suarez it would have been the best bit of business Rodgers has done since arriving at the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I think that if we had kept Suarez it would have been the best bit of business Rodgers has done since arriving at the club.

But we didn't so it wasn't.

Boo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

We did ship Borini.

We're not the only one with a say in where he goes though so he unshipped himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I miss Agger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

They were his first CL goals since 2009.

But we didn't so it wasn't.

Boo.

'twas a silly joke :) that phrase was thrown around here for fun one time, back in the Nuri days :(

I miss Nuri, and Aguerooooo, and Agger :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anymore on those Valdes rumours? Can't help think that even the competition for Mignolet could make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Shipping out a 23 year old back up to sign a 33 year old back up on higher wages isnt the kind of strategy liverpool/fsg employ. Im glad they dont to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Have to say though, since we brought in Balotelli (who adds a physical element anyway), I'd have had Eto'o over Lambert. Higher wages, but free transfer, so it would've worked out about even. I like Lambert a lot and everything, and it's a great story, but Eto'o is still probably the better player.

MR NINE wrote: »
    Shipping out a 23 year old back up to sign a 33 year old back up on higher wages isnt the kind of strategy liverpool/fsg employ. Im glad they dont to be honest.

Have to say you're right on that one, Eto'o would be of no use to us a few years down the road, better make the right decision now for the long term.

A stitch in time saves nine, MR NINE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Goals, though.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Goals, though.

Goals? Don't be silly it's wages we want to save!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Borini wouldn't leave, remember?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

Goals? Don't be silly it's wages we want to save!

Well we'd want to save a few more goals too.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

SlickRic wrote: »
    Borini wouldn't leave, remember?

Yes, the irony of him not wanting to move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

mosstin wrote: »
    Yes, the irony of him not wanting to move.

How so? What was ironic about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Borini stays to fight for his place and gets nothing but negativity from the majority. He has what 2 sub appearances since coming back? Yet people wont even give him that chance.

I'm as guilty as some by criticising him at times for his performances, and sure 14m would have been a great return for a backup player but it really is a trait of the modern football fan to expect loyalty from players and offer nothing in return. Suarez wanted to leave, still a hero....Borini wants to stay and fight for his place, rubbish get rid.

BenThere wrote: »
    How so? What was ironic about it?

Something hilarious about his movement I'm betting......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

NukaCola wrote: »
    Borini stays to fight for his place and gets nothing but negativity from the majority. He has what 2 sub appearances since coming back? Yet people wont even give him that chance.

I'm as guilty as some by criticising him at times for his performances, and sure 14m would have been a great return for a backup player but it really is a trait of the modern football fan to expect loyalty from players and offer nothing in return. Suarez wanted to leave, still a hero....Borini wants to stay and fight for his place, rubbish get rid.

People dont have to like him, I never liked him in the first place and was very vocal about that saying he wasnt good enough for us in the first place. The only place i liked him was at Sunderland were he was taking points off our opposition.

Fair enough he wants to stay and fight for his place good on him but that doesnt mean i have to like him or support him. I still dont think hes good enough. Comparing Suarez wanting to leave to Borini wanting to stay is laughable, the love was there for Suarez because what he done for the club, the goals he scored, his workrate. All Borini ever done for anyone was frustrate the life out of them, the only time he had anyone cheering for him was when he was at Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

ASOT wrote: »
    People dont have to like him, I never liked him in the first place and was very vocal about that saying he wasnt good enough for us in the first place. The only place i liked him was at Sunderland were he was taking points off our opposition.

Fair enough he wants to stay and fight for his place good on him but that doesnt mean i have to like him or support him. I still dont think hes good enough. Comparing Suarez wanting to leave to Borini wanting to stay is laughable, the love was there for Suarez because what he done for the club, the goals he scored, his workrate. All Borini ever done for anyone was frustrate the life out of them, the only time he had anyone cheering for him was when he was at Sunderland.

That is incredibly harsh on Borini.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I want Borini to start at the weekend. I think a good few of us do.

• Advertisement

punk_one82 wrote: »
    That is incredibly harsh on Borini.

Not particularly no, Iv probably watched him more than the majority on here, His best time of football was for swansea or sunderland imo. At Roma he was average and i was surprised when we went in for him. I assumed Rodgers knew him well enough though from there time at Chelsea so i was optimistic when he signed but none of his performances to date for Liverpool have filled me with any confidence atall.

If you dont want to support an LFC player because you dont like him then thats your own business. Plenty of people have written off players because they thought they weren't good enough. Plenty of players have proved those people wrong and I think Borini has the right to do that.

I wont get into you twisting the Suarez thing, all i'm saying is supporting players is a two way street. You shouldn't be crying when players want to leave and at the same time wanting players out because you deem them not good enough.

tok9 wrote: »
    I want Borini to start at the weekend. I think a good few of us do.

I'd start him over Lambert definitely.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Not particularly no, Iv probably watched him more than the majority on here, His best time of football was for swansea or sunderland imo. At Roma he was average and i was surprised when we went in for him. I assumed Rodgers knew him well enough though from there time at Chelsea so i was optimistic when he signed but none of his performances to date for Liverpool have filled me with any confidence atall.

First off, saying you've probably watched him more than most is a moot point and one which you can't ever verify. You also implied people love Suarez for his workrate - Borinis work rate has been great in every game he's played for us.

You cheer him on when he's scoring goals against our opposition while playing for Sunderland but won't support him while he plays for us?

I'd have to say you're being quite harsh on him.

NukaCola wrote: »
    If you dont want to support an LFC player because you dont like him then thats your own business. Plenty of people have written off players because they thought they weren't good enough. Plenty of players have proved those people wrong and I think Borini has the right to do that.

I wont get into you twisting the Suarez thing, all i'm saying is supporting players is a two way street. You shouldn't be crying when players want to leave and at the same time wanting players out because you deem them not good enough.

I hope he comes good for the sake of the club, but i dont think he will thats my point. Obviously i cant see into the future so only time will tell ow it turns out. For the fact alone that BR wanted him sold helps me come to the conclusion hes not good enough.

I was actually the opposite with Suarez were i said he would be better off leaving if he wanted to go especially after the second biting incident, why wouldn't i want players out of i think there not good enough thats the whole point. Its all opinions anyway i dont rate him some do. I admire him wanting to stay but i dont think Liverpool is the place hes going to come good if he does.
    punk_one82 wrote: »
    First off, saying you've probably watched him more than most is a moot point and one which you can't ever verify. You also implied people love Suarez for his workrate - Borinis work rate has been great in every game he's played for us.

You cheer him on when he's scoring goals against our opposition while playing for Sunderland but won't support him while he plays for us?

I'd have to say you're being quite harsh on him.

Obviously i cant verify it but judging by comments made when he was signed id be fairly confident. Saurezs workrate was on a different level its like comparing chalk and cheese. Thats the thing though hes about as threatening as moses in front of goal for us so there hasnt been much to cheer about, Maybe saying i wouldnt support him was harsh il agree on that part. At the end of the day i just dont think hes good enough, again my opinion which seems to be shared with the manager to so it must have some sort or weight to it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement