Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I think Sturridge will surprise us and make the bench this weekend. He only missed about 10 days and was back in training, that 10 days just happened to have 3 games in it though (1 for Eng)

Balo and Borini to start, need that pace to hurt them on the break...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Work rate is all well and good but if you are a centre forward it doesn't matter a shíte if you are not putting the ball in the net!

Give me a CF who will score a goal every game and not do much else over the one who breaks his bollix working but wouldn't score in the proverbial brothel. I wouldn't say Sturridge's workrate is unreal but he's a brilliant galscorer. We were lucky with Suarez, he had both in abundance.

For workrate with not many goals see Emile Heskey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Everyone is very narky since beating Ludogorets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

ASOT wrote: »
    I hope he comes good for the sake of the club, but i dont think he will thats my point. Obviously i cant see into the future so only time will tell ow it turns out. For the fact alone that BR wanted him sold helps me come to the conclusion hes not good enough.

Rodgers wanted Hendo sold too and look at how that worked out. Everyone was on Lucas' back when he started and he then became a mainstay for a few years.

I'm happy to see Borini stay. We needed a fourth striker. His wages aren't coming out of my pocket, so if he ends up benched all the time then that's his problem... if he comes good and plays his way into the team and contributes then brilliant! He's full of workrate, let's see if he can add the rest to his game. Suarez had workrate but wasn't banging them in every other game until his last season and a half.

Whoever pulls on the red shirt I'll support them within reason, (Glen Johnson, I'm looking at you and your lacklustre performances over a long period of time) but especially if they're a trier.

I think we should all just judge him from a 16 second clip anyway. That's how it usually works, right? :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Brendão wrote: »
    I think we should all just judge him from a 16 second clip anyway. That's how it usually works, right? :pac:

Poor acceleration in second 4

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I have only skimmed recent posts so may have missed things, but saying someone isn't good enough is not the same as saying they won't support them when they play for the club. Even the worst players I've wanted to do well for us each time they played while still believing they are not good enough. I'll be very surprised if Borini is ever considered a success for LFC but like all players I'd like to be proved wrong, and in some cases I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lucas and Henderson were two players I thought would never be good enough but I was gladly proved wrong. Borini deserves his chance and I mean a few games to start not coming off the bench. If he has done nothing after those, he deserves to go then.

I would like to see him start with Balotelli on Saturday.

Rodgers wanted Hendo sold too and look at how that worked out. Everyone was on Lucas' back when he started and he then became a mainstay for a few years.

Rodgers wanted Adam, Carroll, Downing and Spearing sold too, do you think they should have all been given a chance too to see if it 'worked out'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

The situation with Borini is like when you have a gaff party and there's that one mate who stays the night and wont get the message to fcuk off the next day.

He'd be there making you cups of tea and all, but you don't want tea you just want to be alone to pick up the pieces from the row you had with your bird the night before. You found her phone, there was a message on it from that good looking pr1ck out of her job, you knew there was something going on with them, you just KNEW it. She was always too good for you, this day was innevetable. You didn't want to call it quits, she was beautiful, she was unpredictable and wild in the sack, but also a little mental and on one occasion said something very questionable to that black taxi driver on the way home from town a while ago. She would always get you into trouble, but it was worth it, SHE was worth it but alas, some birds feathers are just too bright to be caged.

All you want to do is sit there alone, staring into the abyss, contemplating the road ahead, but you can't because Fabio Borini wont fck off and you have a sh1te defense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

rob316 wrote: »
    Lucas and Henderson were two players I thought would never be good enough but I was gladly proved wrong. Borini deserves his chance and I mean a few games to start not coming off the bench. If he has done nothing after those, he deserves to go then.

I would like to see him start with Balotelli on Saturday.

In my opinion he is, was and will never be good enough for Liverpool Football Club. Squad filler and nothing more in my eyes.

The situation with Borini is like when you have a gaff party and there's that one mate who stays the night and wont get the message to fcuk off the next day.

He'd be there making you cups of tea and all, but you don't want tea you just want to be alone to pick up the pieces from the row you had with your bird the night before. You found her phone, there was a message on it from that good looking pr1ck out of her job, you knew there was something going on with them, you just KNEW it. She was always too good for you, this day was innevetable. You didn't want to call it quits, she was beautiful, she was unpredictable and wild in the sack, but also a little mental and on one occasion said something very questionable to that black taxi driver on the way home from town a while ago. She would always get you into trouble, but it was worth it, SHE was worth it but alas, some birds feathers are just too bright to be caged.

All you want to do is sit there alone, staring into the abyss, contemplating the road ahead, but you can't because Fabio Borini wont fck off and you have a sh1te defense.

:D:D:D
    Post of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

So.....how's the mrs?

THEORETICALLY...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

In a week where everyones lauding henderson for sticking with liverpool and turning it around when he was getting a lot of criticism and rodgers had tried to ship him to fulham for peanuts, I find it particularly annoying to see the same fans unwilling to give borini a chance to do the same.

Im not saying borini will be as good as henderson, but he deserves a chance. He should be admired for having the ambition, determination and self belief to stay with liverpool and fight for a place in a champions league side rather than head to qpr and be first choice for a **** team. If hes still here in a year or two and things havent gone well then fair enough, but to give up on him already is ridiculous and shows people have learned nothing from the turn arounds henderson and lucas have had in recent times

kfallon wrote: »
    Rodgers wanted Adam, Carroll, Downing and Spearing sold too, do you think they should have all been given a chance too to see if it 'worked out'?

Rubbish post. Borini has barely played. The players you named were in the first team for over a season, thus proving they weren't good enough.

Fwiw, I'm not a fan of Borini by any stretch, but what I'm saying is, he's still at the club, the team has more games that will give him an opportunity to impress which is what he wants and is entitled to as he was given a contract by the club. Let him at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

5172847fbb49535e849f907e458b00072cc6ae78f07e6eba6368535af487d4bd.jpg

Everyone is very narky since beating Ludogorets

Shut it 'Arry...

Under 18s playing Bolton tomorrow at 11.00. Should see a pretty young side our after the game on Tue, plus a number of that squad now part of the U21s...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Rubbish post. Borini has barely played. The players you named were in the first team for over a season, thus proving they weren't good enough.

Fwiw, I'm not a fan of Borini by any stretch, but what I'm saying is, he's still at the club, the team has more games that will give him an opportunity to impress which is what he wants and is entitled to as he was given a contract by the club. Let him at it.

Is there anyone actively not supporting him?

I think he's very poor but I would love to be proved wrong. Same with Sakho. I think it's normal for people to criticise players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    In my opinion he is, was and will never be good enough for Liverpool Football Club. Squad filler and nothing more in my eyes.

There was a time when Lucas would have rightly been one of the first names on the team sheet. Some people never adjust their opinion on a player no matter how good they improve.

Just out of interest, who is good enough for Liverpool football club? Downing, Carroll, Cole, Adam, Poulsen, Aquilani, Shelvey, Spearing, Babel, Konchesky, Jovanovic, Degen were all played in the first team during Lucas time here. Liverpool haven't been the juggernaut of world football in your mind for quite some time.

The player thats good enough for LFC is a player who can perform well when needed. Who'd have thought Flanagan would play such a vital role for us last season for example.

Fescue wrote: »
    Is there anyone actively not supporting him?

I think he's very poor but I would love to be proved wrong. Same with Sakho. I think it's normal for people to criticise players.

Criticism is fine when warranted. Its the posts saying he should **** off already or other sentiments to that effect that bug me. And a post on the previous page where a "supporter" said he will not support him. That kinda **** pisses me off, if you support the club you support the players.

Borini has started 10 games for LFC.

5 in the league. He hasn't gotten a chance yet.

The manager, who has worked with Borini at 3 different clubs, wants rid of him. Seriously what more of a damning indictment do you want of him??

He was prepared to let him out on loan for a season last year when we had no real cover for Sturridge and Suarez (only Aspas ffs!)

He's stuck by Allen thru all this time but not Borini, wonder why that is?

NukaCola wrote: »
    Borini has started 10 games for LFC.

5 in the league. He hasn't gotten a chance yet.

And how many games has he been available to start in that time?

MR NINE wrote: »
    if you support the club you support the players.

I should add to this, the likes of diouf, moses and suarez or other despicable characters, players who clearly dont want to be there and dont care about the club or actively and publicly try and force their way out of the club, i can understand i guess if people wont support them. But players who give their best on and off the field and always behave in a professional manner should receive support. By all means criticise them when theyre bad, but you should still support them.

• Advertisement

Not many more, he had three lengthy injuries in his first season if i recall correctly

For a supporter who thinks Lucas was never good enough for Liverpool I dont know why anyone would debate with you about Borini. Your standards are impossibly high.

Eh we're not talking about Lucas and I've not mentioned Lucas in one post here today either :confused:

So are you gonna answer my question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

You could have just asked me to leave. And you said my tea was lovely.

Prick.

He was injured for a lot of his first season so I'm not too sure. He's made 20 appearances for LFC if that helps.

Not many more, he had three lengthy injuries in his first season if i recall correctly

Do you have a number of how many games he's been available for selection since he came here?

• Advertisement

Eh we're not talking about Lucas and I've not mentioned Lucas in one post here today either :confused:

So are you gonna answer my question?

Apologies good sir. I answered it above.

The manager seems willing to put Borini in before Lambert. Things might be looking up for him.

Like someone said yesterday, Lambert seems to be a replacement for Balotelli and Borini is a replacement for Sturridge. I'm pretty sure we'll all know by the end of the season whether Borini is good enough or not.

Do you have a number of how many games he's been available for selection since he came here?

Nope, i only have my memory. He was a regular in the squad until he broke his foot on international duty around october, returned in january as a sub against utd, injured his shoulder soon after and then returned for the last couple games of the season where he made a couple sub appearances.

If you want numbers check transfermarkt

Nope, i only have my memory. He was a regular in the squad until he broke his foot on international duty around october, returned in january as a sub against utd, injured his shoulder soon after and then returned for the last couple games of the season where he made a couple sub appearances.

If you want numbers check transfermarkt

Well he missed approx 2 months from October '12 with a broken foot. And ruled out for the rest of the season in February '13 for a dislocated shoulder. Thats a lot of games missed no matter what competition we were in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Well he missed approx 2 months from October '12 with a broken foot. And ruled out for the rest of the season in February '13 for a dislocated shoulder. Thats a lot of games missed no matter what competition we were in.

This is his opportunity to carve out a future for himself at the club. You have to admire Rodgers fairness in allowing him an opportunity despite clearly wanting him to leave.

I hope he takes it with both hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Balague showing our new fullbacks around the City.

7vYaWGc.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Moreno makes UEFA's Champions League team of the week; http://m.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/2149867/

DF: Alberto Moreno (Liverpool FC)
    Liverpool's new left-back has already made an impression as an attacking force in the Premier League and repeated the trick on his competition debut, supplying the cross from which Mario Balotelli scored the opening goal.

Sent him a text there on behalf of all of us telling him well done.

There was a time when Lucas would have rightly been one of the first names on the team sheet. Some people never adjust their opinion on a player no matter how good they improve.

Just out of interest, who is good enough for Liverpool football club? Downing, Carroll, Cole, Adam, Poulsen, Aquilani, Shelvey, Spearing, Babel, Konchesky, Jovanovic, Degen were all played in the first team during Lucas time here. Liverpool haven't been the juggernaut of world football in your mind for quite some time.

The player thats good enough for LFC is a player who can perform well when needed. Who'd have thought Flanagan would play such a vital role for us last season for example.

All those players you mentioned werent good enough for Liverpool. And you're right Liverpool havent been a juggernaut of english football never mind world football for a while. But I remember a time when they were and the likes of Lucas wouldnt have held a candle to any of our first team midfielders we had back then.
    Its not wrong to accept that as the standard at LFC and they're the standards I apply to all LFC players because I've seen what we were and what we've become.
    There was a time when Lucas was the first name on the teamsheet alright...that was the same time he had his "best" season at the club. The same time LFC had it worst finish in the league for quite some time.
    This was a time when Alonso and Mascherano, the type quality we should aspire to have in our team,had moved on.
    If we're happy with average players in our team then we'll continue to not hit the heights that were set all those years ago.
    Lucas is not "beast" or "boss" etc etc... he's average, always has, always will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The manager seems willing to put Borini in before Lambert. Things might be looking up for him.

Like someone said yesterday, Lambert seems to be a replacement for Balotelli and Borini is a replacement for Sturridge. I'm pretty sure we'll all know by the end of the season whether Borini is good enough or not.

I doubt it's a preference, more tactical between Lambert and Borini.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Speechless...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Said it before and I'll say it again.

In the absence of a replacement I am glad we still have Boroni.

Lucas is not "beast" or "boss" etc etc... he's average, always has, always will be.

I dont agree. I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

If Lambert wasn't a scouser I don't think he would have been bought tbh. I don't think he is good enough & wasn't that great last season for Southampton despite his goal tally. I hope he does well as he comes across as a good guy but wouldn't be surprised if he was gone in the summer.

Its not wrong to accept that as the standard at LFC and they're the standards I apply to all LFC players because I've seen what we were and what we've become.

Also just to add, i'm not saying your wrong for expecting World class players in every position, just unrealistic. If the standard of players you expect are in the Alonso/Masch bracket in their prime then currently there are very few players of a "Liverpool" standard in our squad according to your opinion.

Football has moved on, even from the days of Masch and Alonso in the Midfield. These players could be got when we were in the CL year in year out. The EPL has never been more competitive. Most of the top players now would be too young to even remember Liverpool dominating England and just see a club stabilising itself getting back into Europe. Some people need to let go of the past.

MD1990 wrote: »
    If Lambert wasn't a scouser I don't think he would have been bought tbh. I don't think he is good enough & wasn't that great last season for Southampton despite his goal tally. I hope he does well as he comes across as a good guy but wouldn't be surprised if he was gone in the summer.

I have no problem with him as backup in Cup games etc. I dont think he works well with a player like Balotelli either, more of a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Boroni will come good for us
    While he will never be the world beater we want him to be he is decent and i would rate in line with the likes of a Remy who would have been our alternative cover for Sturridge
    He will score big goals for us this season and win the fans over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Boroni will come good for us
    While he will never be the world beater we want him to be he is decent and i would rate in line with the likes of a Remy who would have been our alternative cover for Sturridge
    He will score big goals for us this season and win the fans over
    Remy is a much better player than Borini. Borini 1st touch is poor & lets him down alot. Would start Borini vs West Ham though.

Also just to add, i'm not saying your wrong for expecting World class players in every position, just unrealistic. If the standard of players you expect are in the Alonso/Masch bracket in their prime then currently there are very few players of a "Liverpool" standard in our squad according to your opinion.

Football has moved on, even from the days of Masch and Alonso in the Midfield. These players could be got when we were in the CL year in year out. The EPL has never been more competitive. Most of the top players now would be too young to even remember Liverpool dominating England and just see a club stabilising itself getting back into Europe. Some people need to let go of the past.

I'm not expecting world class players in every position. I just dont want us to settle for average players, which Lucas is.
    Was Steve McMahon world class? No. But he'd have Lucas every day of the week for breakfast!!

Mascherano (and Tevez) went to West Ham in a relegation fight, then came to us.
    Alsonso was bought as a relative unknown.
    Lucas was bought as one of Brazil's best young attacking midfielders.

Of the three, two improved,fulfilled their potential and went on to greater things whilst the other plodded around, gave away needless free kicks and passed the ball 5 yards sideways.

Some people need to reminded of the past, lest we forget what we should be aiming for.

I'm not expecting world class players in every position. I just dont want us to settle for average players, which Lucas is.

In your opinion though. Your saying he was always average. I'm saying he wasn't always average. Before his injuries he was and would have continued to be a very important player for us based on him being very good.

Why the **** your talking about Steve McMahon and the 80's I have no idea though. Football is played in the present. At present we aren't guaranteed a top 4 finish even. Our past is important but clinging to it as a reminder of where we want to be is clouding your opinion on what a Liverpool player "should" be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Mascherano (and Tevez) went to West Ham in a relegation fight, then came to us.

I'd completely forgotten that, mad to think you could from West Ham fighting Relegation to Barcelona...

J.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement