Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Kinda weird that I wanted a win to shut up a section of our own fans rather than some of our rivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'd say it could be a keeper coming in tomorrow as back up!

Has Borini been told to pack his bags yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Did he sound like he was referencing a specific player?

Sounded like he meant Reus to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Sakho definitely worries me more than Lovern but cant ask for much more than a clean sheet in their first game together. Having competent full backs on both sides can only help as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

gafferino wrote: »
    Sounded like he meant Reus to me.

Surprised by that, I thought Moreno did well today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Sakho is the future, he was shakey at times today but we need to persist with him. He was immense in the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Knex. wrote: »
    Winning 3-0

Not a bad day so far then. Donegal in their first Minor final ever too!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

klose wrote: »
    Sakho is the future, he was shakey at times today but we need to persist with him. He was immense in the world cup.

I think that's overstating it greatly. He was solid, no more than that.

The tempo of the Premier League makes him uncomfortable in my opinion. I would love if he proves me wrong but I really think he's not up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Amazed that we kept a clean sheet, both Sakho and Lovren looked liked headless chickens at times. That's par for the course for the former but the latter, a man supposedly meant to be the leader at the back, has been been shambolic at times 3 games in a row.

I can't believe that the Lovren I watched against Dortmund has been the same man I've watched in all 3 games so far. It makes me think the guy can't handle pressure (ie easy to play well in a friendly, not so much competively).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

K-9 wrote: »
    Not a bad day so far then. Donegal in their first Minor final ever too!

Could well be a double for ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

djPSB wrote: »
    We won 3-0 though. :D

Yeah. Nice to be able to do that despite there being so many parts of the team that aren't quite ticking over yet.

We have 5 games next month

Villa (H)
    Ludogrets (H)
    WHam (A)
    Middlesborough (H)
    Everton (H)

They're all very winnable and there'll be room for a bit of experimentation, getting a few of the lads who haven't played much up to speed but building a lot of momentum along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

6 points from 9 is a pretty good start given that we've had 2 tough away games at City and Spurs and Southampton are a decent side as well.

Speaking of Southampton one player that would be great for this Liverpool side would be Morgan Schneiderlin. Could be rotated with Gerrard before taking over from him.

To be honest I thought Lovren was wobblier than Sakho today. The one thing about Lovren though is he has the pace to get himself out of trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Gbear wrote: »
    Yeah. Nice to be able to do that despite there being so many parts of the team that aren't quite ticking over yet.

We have 5 games next month

Villa (H)
    Ludogrets (H)
    WHam (A)
    Middlesborough (H)
    Everton (H)

They're all very winnable and there'll be room for a bit of experimentation, getting a few of the lads who haven't played much up to speed but building a lot of momentum along the way.

I would not be overly keen on experimentation for those games. I think that, barring injury, today's backline needs a run in the first team without any chopping or changing, and save for any big drops in form or injury that the attacking trio that started today should start all those games.

Midfield is the only part of the team where I would want to see some change what with Lallana now back in full training and Can getting some more minutes under his belt.

6 points from 9 is a pretty good start given that we've had 2 tough away games at City and Spurs and Southampton are a decent side as well.

Speaking of Southampton one player that would be great for this Liverpool side would be Morgan Schneiderlin. Could be rotated with Gerrard before taking over from him.

To be honest I thought Lovren was wobblier than Sakho today. The one thing about Lovren though is he has the pace to get himself out of trouble.

It is also three points more than we got from the same fixtures last season so that is another plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Did he sound like he was referencing a specific player?
    Not about the player to come in - The question was whether there would be any transfers tomorrow. He said there will be a few players going out, they have been told about their futures at the club and have had plenty of notice to find themselves a team. As professionals they should want to move to play more football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Looking ahead a bit but we have some very winnable fixtures coming up in the league

Aston Villa (Home)
    West Ham (Away)
    Everton (Home)
    WBA (Home)
    QPR (Away)
    Hull (home)

Ignoring QPR we took 13 points from the same 5 fixtures last season we should really be looking to match that or better.

I'm seriously excited again I saw plenty of what we had last season today:D

P.S watching the arsenal match, konchesky grew some hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Some classy comments over in the Spurs forum in there match thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Kess73 wrote: »
    It is also three points more than we got from the same fixtures last season so that is another plus.

Without over analysing it we have also scored 3 more goals than after our first 3 games last season, which is important as we lost a guy who scored 31 goals and assisted 12 last season.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Just in PL games, we have a decent set of fixtures coming up now.

Villa H
    West Ham A
    Everton H
    West Brom H
    QPR A
    Hull H
    Newcastle A

If we can get 15 points from those 7 I'll be pretty happy overall with 21 points from 10 games. We could get more from those fixtures, but it'll have been a decent start if we are there before the Chelsea game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

Very impressive performance.

Even better when you think we have that starting 11 plus Markovic, Coutinho, Can and Lallana to come off the bench.

Six points out of three tough games is a good start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Just makes it that much sweeter

6166d9b0560aff5f79b1112ac90fce28.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I don't see anything to be getting odd over, at all, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Any word on that Argentinian keeper? Kind of hoping he's more than just competition for Mignolet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I know we don't need em, but I wouldn't mind making a sneaky bid for Dembélé, always liked him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Did anyone else see Brendan Rodgers laughing when Balotelli missed an open goal?

rob316 wrote: »
    Without over analysing it we have also scored 3 more goals than after our first 3 games last season, which is important as we lost a guy who scored 31 goals and assisted 12 last season.

And given that we looked pretty blunt in the first two games, the number of chances created today is promising as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Knex. wrote: »
    I don't see anything to be getting odd over, at all, tbh.

Really. Even the one saying they hope balotelli has he's legs broken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Really. Even the one saying they hope balotelli has he's legs broken?

Those comments must be deleted?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Those comments must be deleted?

Sorry. It was in the spurs supporters match thread. First page.

• Advertisement

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Did anyone else see Brendan Rodgers laughing when Balotelli missed an open goal?

You make it sound much worse than it was. Balotelli basically created the chance, it broke back to him and under pressure from Lloris 40 yards from goal he skewed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

1) Liverpool won.
    2) United blew up again
    3) Dubs hammered
    4) Young lad won in the soccer.

I'm off to have a look on the United thread to cap it all off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

They make United fans on here seem decent in comparison. Such Saltyness over there.

They make United fans on here seem decent in comparison. Such Saltyness over there.

Apart from the leg breaking one I don't think there was much wrong with many other posts in fairness.

Different rules as it's not in the SF. Abuse (of players) is allowed afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

5starpool wrote: »
    Apart from the leg breaking one I don't think there was much wrong with many other posts in fairness.

There's two or three comments that would be a straight red if they were posted in the match thread on this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Not the best performance but we create some amount of chances as a team. Henderson and Allen did a great amount of work, but also thought that Can was at his most impressive yet, at a time where we have a tendency to drop deep in games he was pushing up not giving the Spurs midfield a second on the ball to compose themselves. Gerrard had his worst game in a while but he did head clear a number of balls that were played into the box. Overall it was a good performance and a great result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Not a bad day to be a Donegal man who supports Liverpool!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

K-9 wrote: »
    Not a bad day to be a GAA fan outside of Dublin who supports Liverpool!

FYP.

Mod Post: Folks, if you have issues with a thread in another forum or wish to challenge stuff that is in that thread, then either contact the mods of that forum or debate what you disagree with with those in the thread you are talking about.

The posters over there are free to discuss whatever they want as long as it falls within the rules of that forum, so let's not have this thread turn into a discussion about there.

Is just a pity that there is an international break coming up. Would have preferred to be rolling into a home league game asap after today.

• Advertisement

Delighted with that, convincing scoreline, undeserved clean sheet, Sturridge not on fire yet, 6 pts from 9, Spurs back in their box, last year's league runners up showing the rest of the league that we are not to be underestimated. Coutinho on the bench and llanana yet to come into the team :)

Winning after city dropping points yesterday is important psychologically for the squad, if arsenal drop points too its almost a perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

You make it sound much worse than it was. Balotelli basically created the chance, it broke back to him and under pressure from Lloris 40 yards from goal he skewed it.

He should have played in Sturridge who prob would have scored with only 2 defenders to beat with a shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Very content with that performance and scoreline. Great to keep a clean sheet. Was worried about Sakho earlier in the game, he looked so nervous. But gradually he grew in confidence. Impressed with Moreno and Manquillo. Lovren did ok I thought, made some important tackles. Mignolet wasn't tested too much but did make a great save to keep us ahead. Sterling was fantastic again and although Sturridge didn't score he is great on his feet, some great footwork and got into scoring positions. Happy enough with Balotelli too. Could have gotten a couple of goals today but I am sure he will score many. Nice to see Enrique get some minutes too. Can looked good when he came, looks strong. Didn't notice Markavick when he came on though. The midfield did enough and the whole team defended when needed too.

Overall, a very good performance from Liverpool. To have 17 attempts at goal, 8 on target and 3 goals scored away from home is pretty decent. And to limit the opposition to only 1 on target too, not too shabby.

Augeo wrote: »
    Delighted with that, convincing scoreline, undeserved clean sheet, Sturridge not on fire yet, 6 pts from 9, Spurs back in their box, last year's league runners up showing the rest of the league that we are not to be underestimated. Coutinho on the bench and llanana yet to come into the team :)

Winning after city dropping points yesterday is important psychologically for the squad, if arsenal drop points too its almost a perfect

If Arsenal draw today, then it will have been a very good weekend as all the other CL spot chasers, save for Chelsea, will have dropped points.

Early doors of course, but after dropping points ourselves last week, it is nice to claw points back on most of our rivals so quickly

kfallon wrote: »
    He should have played in Sturridge who prob would have scored with only 2 defenders to beat with a shot!

He should of course, but that's a different point. You couldn't blame him for taking it on though.

On a different note I bet Arsenal will get another late goal to earn extra points :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Brendan might sign one more player

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29005704

Maybe one more will come in. A few boys have been told they aren't going to get much game time so they have been given that respect early on to help themselves find a club

Nice.

Gained a whole bunch of points on most of our rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Kess73 wrote: »
    If Arsenal draw today, then it will have been a very good weekend as all the other CL spot chasers, save for Chelsea, will have dropped points.

Early doors of course, but after dropping points ourselves last week, it is nice to claw points back on most of our rivals so quickly

More importantly 2 trips to our rivals out of the way before September. Plenty of time to build some momentum with the run of fixtures coming up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

On a different note I bet Arsenal will get another late goal to earn extra points :mad:

Or not, thankfully! Great week for us, 5th in the League I think, and gained points on all our rivals bar Chelsea. Can't complain with that... :)

J.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Sorry for double posting, I just got the excites. American friend of mine who I keep in touch with on Facebook just mentioned watching the Liverpool match and posted a photo in the comments section of a bunch of his friends and himself sitting around a mates house watching the match. Couple of them talking now and saying they are excited for the season.

Impressed. Didn't think he was into football (sorry, soccer) at all. Premier League is making serious inroads into North America and Liverpool seem to be getting a lot of exposure, thanks to last season's football, Suarez's vampirism and Balotelli's signing but not solely those reasons. The friendlies against Roma and the International Guinness Champions Cup will also raise the club's profile there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement