Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

NukaCola wrote: »
    In your opinion though. Your saying he was always average. I'm saying he wasn't always average. Before his injuries he was and would have continued to be a very important player for us based on him being very good.

Why the **** your talking about Steve McMahon and the 80's I have no idea though. Football is played in the present. At present we aren't guaranteed a top 4 finish even. Our past is important but clinging to it as a reminder of where we want to be is clouding your opinion on what a Liverpool player "should" be.

Obviously its my opinion! This is what discussion boards are about no? people giving their opinion? :confused::confused:
    And in your opinion you think Lucas was good enough for Liverpool and improved over the years. I'm saying he wasn't and hasnt improved.

He pales in comparison to a whole host of midfielders we've had over the years. Give me Ince, Redknapp, Murphy, Hamann, McAllister, Alonso, Mascherano, Henderson, Allen over Lucas any day of the week. (Just to bring it up to the present.... since that's where football is played in) And I make no excuses for using the past as a barometer as what we should be aiming for in the present. If you're happy with the likes of Lucas being the standard of what a Liverpool player should be then so be it. I'm not.

I'll leave it there cos this could go on for days!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

A little off topic but do people think Borini is good enough for us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    He pales in comparison to a whole host of midfielders we've had over the years. Give me Ince, Redknapp, Murphy, Hamann, McAllister, Alonso, Mascherano, Henderson, Allen over Lucas any day of the week. (Just to bring it up to the present.... since that's where football is played in) And I make no excuses for using the past as a barometer as what we should be aiming for in the present. If you're happy with the likes of Lucas being the standard of what a Liverpool player should be then so be it. I'm not.

Lucas has shown infinitely more for Liverpool than Joe Allen has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I'll leave it there cos this could go on for days!

Fair enough :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

DVDM93 wrote: »
    A little off topic but do people think Borini is good enough for us?

Busted his hump on Tuesday when he came on. His work rate can't be faulted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Mr Alan wrote: »
    In the past yes. For the last year Allen has easily outperformed Lucas. Allen has played well in the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Lucas has stagnated, Allen has blossomed(slowly). I'd start Allen over Lucas currently. At the end of the day current form is all that matters , who gives a fcuk if Lucas bossed the midfield against Chelsea in Stamford Bridge a few years ago, he wouldn't do it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Not lately nor in the future I imagine.

I'm not slating Lucas btw...just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Sam Allardyce on Liverpool.

‘Last year we were done by a referee decision. They came and said that the coach couldn’t park where it should have parked, the changing rooms were too hot, the grass was too long and they only managed to win on two penalties. It was a shame they go away with it last year’

He also said something about us being complacent against Villa, something like we took them lightly.

Hopefully it acts motivation for the weekend.

Unfair to compare Allen & Lucas overally time as an Liverpool player anyway. Lucas has had like a 5 year start too on Allen & probably as had as many poor seasons as good one's too.

• Advertisement

Allen is an important squad member for sure and so is Lucas if he regains better form, particularly better than last season. Thought he did ok the other night when he came on actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Allen works better for Liverpools busy diamond, Lucas is not really suited to it. Then again neither is Gerrard in truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Pop my head for the first time in ages and see people still think Lucas offers something to the team. The sooner Liverpool are rid the better. It says it all that Liverpool couldn't find anyone to buy him in the summer or even loan him out.

‘Last year we were done by a referee decision. They came and said that the coach couldn’t park where it should have parked, the changing rooms were too hot, the grass was too long and they only managed to win on two penalties. It was a shame they go away with it last year’

He also said something about us being complacent against Villa, something like we took them lightly.

Hopefully it acts motivation for the weekend.

Allardyce holding on to his job by a thread so has to try anything to justify himself.
    The man is cringe worthy. He complains after every defeat that they were unlucky it seems

Not lately nor in the future I imagine.

I'm not slating Lucas btw...just saying.

I am. He's been sh1t for ages now apart from a few brief twenty minute spells in a couple of games. Not good enough for Liverpool IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Not in the last 2 years he hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Vicxas wrote: »
    Busted his hump on Tuesday when he came on. His work rate can't be faulted

FFS that's all we need, what's the expected recovery time for a busted hump?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Speechless...

Liverpool fan pages bring out the strangest comments

Go on the official LFC facebook page and read some of the comments on any post. It's basically a lot foreigners with poor English

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

amiable wrote: »
    Allardyce holding on to his job by a thread so has to try anything to justify himself.
    The man is cringe worthy. He complains after every defeat that they were unlucky it seems

i'll have nothing said against the man after taking Andy, Stew and Joe from us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

FFS that's all we need, what's the expected recovery time for a busted hump?

I never busted my hump but I did get the hump before. Usually lasts an hour or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

x43r0 wrote: »

Go on the official LFC facebook page and read some of the comments on any post. It's basically a lot foreigners with poor English

But it's all adding value apparently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Dublin is getting a LFC official store in the Ilac shopping mall and its going to be opened on the 3rd of October by Didi Hamman.

Its a Friday so some ye might be able to bring along your junior reds.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/171011-reds-legend-to-open-new-dublin-store

I think a lot of what frustrates people is that when Borini was initially linked with a move away, it was for a figure of 14 or so million. That is an absolute steal for a back up player considering we were linked with Remy for 8 or so million in or around the same time. Would ye have been happy if he went for 5 million?

Rodgers wanted Borini gone and he's a good a judge as any, which is enough for me to decide that he'll only ever reach the heights of a good back up player. Do I hope I'm wrong? I most certainly hope so. I'd love to see him turn it around like Henderson but I just can't see it happening.

All things well I would have preferred Remy to Borini and Eto'o to Lambert.

But that's not to be, I support Liverpool and Borini is a Liverpool player. Therefore I will support him as he fights for his place as long as he plays for us.

As for Lucas, I'm sorry as I like him. He's quite fond of the club but it just isn't working out. As mentioned that performance in Stamford Bridge years ago is no good to us now with the way he's playing. Sure that's as good as saying the Torres of old is still of use to us now. It's in the past, it's irrelevant. I can't see Lucas plating consistently well like that again. Allen is better and I'd even have Can ahead of him going by present performances if he wasn't injured.

Borini has more of a chance of having a good season than Lucas does though I think... I wish both of them all the best and hope they prove me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Dublin is getting a LFC official store in the Ilac shopping mall and its going to be opened on the 3rd of October by Didi Hamman.

Its a Friday so some ye might be able to bring along your junior reds.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/171011-reds-legend-to-open-new-dublin-store

From the pictures it looks ready to go. Not open for trading until the 3rd of October then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Fescue wrote: »
    I never busted my hump but I did get the hump before. Usually lasts an hour or so.

An hour? Cmon now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

We're all foreigners in relation to the Prem League.

Liverpool FC is a global brand. If you want your team to be a world power you can't complain about people who may not speak your language supporting them.

Jesus if you're complaining about poor English you don't have to look to foreign fans. The locals are just as bad if not worse.

Edit: Although from your location maybe you're not :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think that sums up Boards pretty well :D

Balotelli just threw this up on Instagram, aboy Mario :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The space in front of West Ham's goal was probably taken anyway. #BigSam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

We're all foreigners in relation to the Prem League.

Liverpool FC is a global brand. If you want your team to be a world power you can't complain about people who may not speak your language supporting them.

Jesus if you're complaining about poor English you don't have to look to foreign fans. The locals are just as bad if not worse.

Edit: Although from your location maybe you're not :o

Don't get me wrong at all - I'm not complaining about them. I just find the comments funny. Kind of in the same vein as the stuff you'd see on Engrish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Official LFC store launching in Dublin on October 3rd. Didi Hamann to assist the launch with a meet 'n' greet and a session talking about his times at LFC.

About time they launch one here!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Only 24.75 hours until our next game. Hopefully an improvement in form but it'd be amusing to see Samuel upset by a controversial Liverpool win.

5starpool wrote: »
    Only 24.75 hours until our next game. Hopefully an improvement in form but it'd be amusing to see Samuel upset by a controversial Liverpool win.

I hope we don't suffer the European hangover, I can't remember if it was during benitez or houlliers time that we struggled to win after the mid week match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I hope we don't suffer the European hangover, I can't remember if it was during benitez or houlliers time that we struggled to win after the mid week match.

All teams do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

For me the only time Lucas has looked good in our midfield was when we were consistently finishing 7th his level imo. He isn't and never has been good enough to start regularly for a team in the top 4.

• Advertisement

I could probably get my head through there.
    Bx6IXJMCMAAKjB-.jpg:large

Gbear wrote: »
    All teams do.

Too much hassle to find any stats.

I know teams do find it difficult, especially after an away tie but I think we went through a spell where we just could not get a result at all.

Something similar to how Spurs found it last season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I could probably get my head through there.
    Bx6IXJMCMAAKjB-.jpg:large

Looks like he is trying to headbutt Sterling. You can see quite clearly his head his pointed in his direction. Shocking stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Any presser vid yet ?

According to bib theory: Mignolet, Manquillo, Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno, Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson, Sterling, Borini, Balotelli

If the team is right we need big performances out of Lucas & Borini.

• Advertisement

For me the only time Lucas has looked good in our midfield was when we were consistently finishing 7th his level imo. He isn't and never has been good enough to start regularly for a team in the top 4.

And yet he played 2/3 of league games the last time we finished 2nd before last season. Good job we leave the managing to managers eh ;)

MD1990 wrote: »
    According to bib theory: Mignolet, Manquillo, Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno, Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson, Sterling, Borini, Balotelli

If the team is right we need big performances out of Lucas & Borini.

Not sure how the bob theory is working out this season but I think almost every rumoured team has been wrong so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

rarnes1 wrote: »
    And yet he played 2/3 of league games the last time we finished 2nd before last season. Good job we leave the managing to managers eh ;)

In all fairness has there been any time in the last 18 months that he has looked like a top 4 type of player? There's got to be a stage where you cut your losses.

We should be setting the bar high, when the time comes to replace Gerrard we should be looking at established world class holding midfielders, or at the very least someone young that has shown signs of developing into one.

(I will add i just have'nt seen enough of Can to judge if he'll be that player.)

In all fairness has there been any time in the last 18 months that he has looked like a top 4 type of player? There's got to be a stage where you cut your losses.

We should be setting the bar high, when the time comes to replace Gerrard we should be looking at established world class holding midfielders, or at the very least someone young that has shown signs of developing into one.

(I will add i just have'nt seen enough of Can to judge if he'll be that player.)

Not talking about the past 18 months

The poster said he was never good enough for top 4. Clearly talking nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lucas was a monster for Liverpool for a good while. A lot of those fond memories you have of Alonso and Torres from when they were there are because of the fantastic work he was doing. He lost a lot with that bad injury but before it he was one of the best defensive players in the league, I'd assume nearly every Liverpool fan would agree with that, maybe I'm wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

I really hope that bib theory team is wrong, we've been down this road before with Gerrard and Lucas, it just does not work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Liam O wrote: »
    Lucas was a monster for Liverpool for a good while. A lot of those fond memories you have of Alonso and Torres from when they were there are because of the fantastic work he was doing. He lost a lot with that bad injury but before it he was one of the best defensive players in the league, I'd assume nearly every Liverpool fan would agree with that, maybe I'm wrong...

Yeah but he's ****e now and so is Borini (hardly kicked a ball for LFC)

Suarez was overrated

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Not talking about the past 18 months

The poster said he was never good enough for top 4. Clearly talking nonsense.

That 08 09 season he had 25 league appearances can't find how many of them were starts but of 39 total appearances that season he came on as sub 19 times. It's safe to say he started no more than 15 league games maximum that year . The midfield was masch alonso Gerrard . He wasn't a regular starter which was my point and wasn't good enough to be. I'd imagine a fair few of his starts were the league games either side of the champs lge

Liam O wrote: »

I certainly wouldn't agree with it. Has always been Too slow gives away too many fouls and rarely gets on the half turn to pass the ball forward. Would he have played all that much with alonso he only became a regular when alonso left. He had a couple of good seasons when we were an average team when the bar is raised he struggles to get in the team.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement