Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

I certainly wouldn't agree with it. Has always been Too slow gives away too many fouls and rarely gets on the half turn to pass the ball forward. Would he have played all that much with alonso he only became a regular when alonso left. He had a couple of good seasons when we were an average team when the bar is raised he struggles to get in the team.

He struggles to get into the team as he isn't at the same level since his injury. That's incredibly obvious to the vast majority of Liverpool fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Charlie19 wrote: »

beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Skip to 2:48 to spare your ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He struggles to get into the team as he isn't at the same level since his injury. That's incredibly obvious to the vast majority of Liverpool fans.

I'm also talking about prior to his injuries he was only a regular when we weren't very good. I'm not judging him on now as he used to be better but he in my eyes has never been good enough to bbe a regular starter at a top 4 team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I see enrique is taking creepy pics of the lads while they're sleeping on the train to London.

He's a strange one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Footballers who don't play football have to entertain themselves somehow.

Most choose hookers. I think he prefers selfies. In thongs. *shudder*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

MD1990 wrote: »
    According to bib theory: Mignolet, Manquillo, Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno, Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson, Sterling, Borini, Balotelli

If the team is right we need big performances out of Lucas & Borini.

If I ever see the Gerrard-Lucas lineup in an important match again I think I'll give up on life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Im glad to see Borini getting his chance if it is indeed true. The lad has received a lot of stick from a few idiots because he stood his ground and wanted to stay and fight for his place. I say fair play to him because having players with a good attitude and who are hungry are just what we need right now and he was an important player for Sunderland last season and Im sure the fans will appreciate that hes willing to give it a go and prove everyone wrong and they will get behind him. Hope it works out for him as he was lively when he came on against Ludogorets the other night.

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Im glad to see Borini getting his chance if it is indeed true. The lad has received a lot of stick from a few idiots because he stood his ground and wanted to stay and fight for his place. I say fair play to him because having players with a good attitude and who are hungry are just what we need right now and he was an important player for Sunderland last season and Im sure the fans will appreciate that hes willing to give it a go and prove everyone wrong and they will get behind him. Hope it works out for him as he was lively when he came on against Ludogorets the other night.

I'm not aware of anyone who gave him stick for staying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

+1 for this ^^^^^^

• Advertisement

Believe me there was plenty of so called keyboard warriors attacking him on twitter

Believe me there was plenty of so called keyboard warriors attacking him on twitter

Twitter doesn't count tbf. Full of complete morons

Seriously Rarnes, there was plenty of posts ridiculing him for staying. It veered from "he'll never be good enough" and "he won't get any games" to "he's a greedy ba$tard preventing LFC from getting £14m".

I can't be ar$sed finding the posts but I promise you there was plenty of them in the week leading up to and the days after the end of the transfer window as I was one of the guys who admired his stance and called for people to give him shot saying if he got some games i the run up to Xmas and it didn't work out for him he'd at least be able to accept he'd had a fair crack of the whip and would likely accept it was time to move on (down) but until he's had a few games played up top it was unfair to criticise him for wanting to stay.

BenThere wrote: »
    Seriously Rarnes, there was plenty of posts ridiculing him for staying. It veered from "he'll never be good enough" and "he won't get any games" to "he's a greedy ba$tard preventing LFC from getting £14m".

I can't be ar$sed finding the posts but I promise you there was plenty of them in the week leading up to and the days after the end of the transfer window as I was one of the guys who admired his stance and called for people to give him shot saying if he got some games i the run up to Xmas and it didn't work out for him he'd at least be able to accept he'd had a fair crack of the whip and would likely accept it was time to move on (down) but until he's had a few games played up top it was unfair to criticise him for wanting to stay.

Yeh I agree completely. When a fan starts personally abusing a player because he wants to stay and prove his worth than thats a disgrace and those people should be ashamed to call themselves fans. It may or may not work our for Borini but Im with you on that one as I too admired him for his determination to stay and prove everyone wrong. Heres hoping he can do that because its not that long ago Jordan Henderson was in the same position so until a player gets a fair chance then its unfair to judge and certainly unfair to start abusing them on Twitter.

He did very well the other night when he came on I thought and it seems he is now slightly ahead of Lambert in Brendans plans even without Lambert doing anything wrong as such

Yeh I agree completely. When a fan starts personally abusing a player because he wants to stay and prove his worth than thats a disgrace and those people should be ashamed to call themselves fans. It may or may not work our for Borini but Im with you on that one as I too admired him for his determination to stay and prove everyone wrong. Heres hoping he can do that because its not that long ago Jordan Henderson was in the same position so until a player gets a fair chance then its unfair to judge and certainly unfair to start abusing them on Twitter.

He did very well the other night when he came on I thought and it seems he is now slightly ahead of Lambert in Brendans plans even without Lambert doing anything wrong as such

BR and LFC are quite happy to project the whole "This is a special club" with "family values" etc and I buy into that so when one of our family members (who was invited to the club on a 4 year contract) wants to fulfil his contract and stay to fight for his place is that not the absolute test of whether those values are real or just PR bull$****?

TBF I do think BR is a straight shooter, he told Borini he didn't see him getting a lot of games this year and the club had received a good offer from Sunderland for him which they'd be happy to accept but given Borini's decision to stay I honestly believe BR looked at his squad the day after the transfer window closed and gives every player he has an equal chance to impress and force their way into his plans. If that's not how he operates I for one will be very disillusioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

BenThere wrote: »
    BR and LFC are quite happy to project the whole "This is a special club" with "family values" etc and I buy into that so when one of our family members (who was invited to the club on a 4 year contract) wants to fulfil his contract and stay to fight for his place is that not the absolute test of whether those values are real or just PR bull$****?

TBF I do think BR is a straight shooter, he told Borini he didn't see him getting a lot of games this year and the club had received a good offer from Sunderland for him which they'd be happy to accept but given Borini's decision to stay I honestly believe BR looked at his squad the day after the transfer window closed and gives every player he has an equal chance to impress and force their way into his plans. If that's not how he operates I for one will be very disillusioned.

How many starts does he need to protect Brendao's rep in your eyes? If he doesn't appear tomorrow will you have doubts? Just curious.

I only hope we put our best 11 players on the pitch tomorrow and if Fabio stays on the bench then that's where he should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

So...do we beat the hammers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

So...do we beat the hammers?

Not unless we step up a level in terms of movement and control of game. Not liking the proposed team I would say it looks a draw.

Swap in Llalanna for Lucas and the team is transformed imo, am hoping bib theory is throwing a curve ball

I spent me time tonight looking at the cops. It wasn't tickets, it was looking for looking thr sumbags :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I spent me time tonight looking at the cops. It wasn't tickets, it was looking for looking thr sumbags :P

Yeah, me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

garra wrote: »
    How many starts does he need to protect Brendao's rep in your eyes?

He only deserves a start if Sturridge and/or Balo are injured or banned and even then it depends on whether BR is playing one or two up top. With Sturridge out if BR wants to go two up top I think Borini deserves to start alongside Balo. I don't see Balo and Lambert starting any games together.

BTW if both Balo and Sturridge were out I'd expect Lambert to start up top on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

MD1990 wrote: »
    According to bib theory: Mignolet, Manquillo, Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno, Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson, Sterling, Borini, Balotelli

If the team is right we need big performances out of Lucas & Borini.

I would have liked to see the same back 4 again instead of chopping and changing. Thats a real problem. We need a solid CB partnership. Too many changes there to get the best out of players.

Also I think SG and Lucas are best deep so would not like to see them start together. If that is the starting line up of course.

Wouldn't mind seeing Borini and Balotelli start a few games to see how they link up either while Sturridge is out.

NukaCola wrote: »
    I would have liked to see the same back 4 again instead of chopping and changing. Thats a real problem. We need a solid CB partnership. Too many changes there to get the best out of players.

Also I think SG and Lucas are best deep so would not like to see them start together. If that is the starting line up of course.

Wouldn't mind seeing Borini and Balotelli start a few games to see how they link up either while Sturridge is out.

I think a settled back four is a must but Skrtel needs to be part of it and Lovren looked better as a left centre back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Fescue wrote: »
    I think a settled back four is a must but Skrtel needs to be part of it and Lovren looked better as a left centre back.

Do you think Sakho will be ditched? He looks like an accident waiting to happen at the moment but he has all the attributes and probably needs the game time if he's ever going to settle in this league. Different positions and all but De Gea was a laughing stock for a year at United, look at him now. I reckon he will be a very capable defender if given the backing and time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,932 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

NukaCola wrote: »

I think the same back four should start.

Here is the problem with that back four as I see it. They want to play a high line and all of the four have the pace to do..Gerrard/Lucas or both playing in front of them want to play deep and this pushes them back so they are unable to play the high line.

So the back four have a player behind them who is nervous(when they play so deep)so they have to watch him and the player in front of them is nearly getting in there way or is out of postition and then they are left exposed.

This is the work that needs to be done on the training ground and for some reason it doesn't seem to be.

I agree up front two should start and if thats the two Italians I have no problem with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Are we on tv today guys ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Would prefer if the back four stayed the same, the idea that Skrtel is going to instill calmness and composure to those around him is crazy. If we started attacking the ball while defending corners and free kicks instead of fighting with opposition players we might not be such a shambles every time the ball came into the box.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

emmetkenny wrote: »

Sky Sports 1, kick off at 5.30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

emmetkenny wrote: »

Its a 5:30 kick off, so it will be. Probably be on sky sports

Do you think Sakho will be ditched? He looks like an accident waiting to happen at the moment but he has all the attributes and probably needs the game time if he's ever going to settle in this league. Different positions and all but De Gea was a laughing stock for a year at United, look at him now. I reckon he will be a very capable defender if given the backing and time.

I think Skrtel will come back in once he's fit. Sakho hasn't really shone in the games he's started since Skrtel was injured.

As for his long term future, at this point in time I'm not sure he will have one at Liverpool. The Premier League is played at quite a high intensity and I'm not sure he is technically good enough to cope with it.

At international level he has looked good but the intensity of international football perhaps doesn't expose his limitations as frequently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'd much prefer to see the same back 4 start, they are starting to get used to each other, and that needs to grow. Plus as much as I like Skrytl, he would not be my preferred choice against an unpredictable hammers front line. Zarate has alot of movement which I dont think that Martin deals with very well.

And as for Borini up front, makes perfect sense, he'll be making awkward runs that will drag their defensive unit about the place, something that was sorely missed in the last 2-1 win we had. Balotelli will offer a bit of a physical presence, and get on the peno spot and Sterling will hopefully exploit any space made.

I think Skrtel will come back in once he's fit. Sakho hasn't really shone in the games he's started since Skrtel was injured.

As for his long term future, at this point in time I'm not sure he will have one at Liverpool. The Premier League is played at quite a high intensity and I'm not sure he is technically good enough to cope with it.

At international level he has looked good but the intensity of international football perhaps doesn't expose his limitations as frequently.

Maybe so although he's still quite young in CB terms and getting to grips with the intensity isn't completely out the window. I do think he will have a very good career, whether it's at Liverpool or not.

Maybe so although he's still quite young in CB terms and getting to grips with the intensity isn't completely out the window. I do think he will have a very good career, whether it's at Liverpool or not.

Well it would be fantastic if he did get to grips with it and had a very good career at Liverpool. He comes across as a very decent guy and is a good professional.

The whole problem with Liverpool defensively is bigger than any one individual anyway to be fair.

"accident waiting to happen"

Lazy arm-chair analysis I've heard a few times lately

"accident waiting to happen"

Lazy arm-chair analysis I've heard a few times lately

I think there is an element of truth to it though. He miscontrolled the ball that led to the corner Villa scored from and again against Ludogorets when they hit the post.

I think there is an element of truth to it though. He miscontrolled the ball that led to the corner Villa scored from and again against Ludogorets when they hit the post.

In that case every Liverpool defender is an accident waiting to happen.

Skrtel is a bloody nuclear disaster waiting to happen.

As I said just lazy analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

It's not really.. Sakho diving and Skrtels jersey pulling is a problem.

I assumed it was pretty obvious to everybody he's not too comfortable at the moment. He seems to give up at least one goal scoring opportunity a game through an unexpected error, as I said I think he'll grow into it though. It's only because I said it that he replied like that anyway...

How would you analyse the performances of Sakho over the last 3 games?

• Advertisement

How would you analyse the performances of Sakho over the last 3 games?

Spurs he hadn't much to do, they offered nothing.

Villa, the whole team was poor. He should have booted the ball out for a throw but Lovren had a worse game and was at fault for the goal.

The other night he was ok only in another poor team performance.

The defensive unit is broken under Rodgers system. Obviously having so many new players will take time to settle. Anyone that can't grasp that needs to take a step back

Spurs he hadn't much to do, they offered nothing.

Villa, the whole team was poor. He should have booted the ball out for a throw but Lovren had a worse game and was at fault for the goal.

The other night he was ok only in another poor team performance.

The defensive unit is broken under Rodgers system. Obviously having so many new players will take time to settle. Anyone that can't grasp that needs to take a step back

So based on that does he deserve to keep his place ahead of Skrtel? Which I think is at the heart of the matter.

For me Skrtel is the better player. I think the consensus is that Sakho will drop to the bench if Skrtel is fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

We seem to be spending biggish money on CDs and still ending up with less than stellar performances. I thought the money spent on lovren and sakho would silver our problems.

Or is it down to games played together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

So based on that does he deserve to keep his place ahead of Skrtel? Which I think is at the heart of the matter.

For me Skrtel is the better player. I think the consensus is that Sakho will drop to the bench if Skrtel is fit.

Neither would fill me with confidence. Skrtel's been around for a long time and still make too many errors to be considered trustworthy. Sakho looks equally error prone right now but surely we need to give him a run of games to see if he does indeed settle. I recall Vidic being very poor for Yernited in his first few games there.

Skrtel is the worst central defender of the 3 by a long shot imo. Was hoping he would be shipped out tbh.

Consensus by whom btw? You could be right but wondering who said it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Skrtel is the worst central defender of the 3 by a long shot imo. Was hoping he would be shipped out tbh.

I think you need to take a step back.

We all wanted Sahko and then Lovern to come in and improve the back 4, unfortunately that hasn't materialised...yet.

• Advertisement

The problem with the Back 5 starts with Brendan Rodgers and how he coaches them.

It then moves on to each player starting Mignolet not being commanding in his box enough telling the CB's where he wants them.

The back 4 have only played 3 matches together the 2 fullbacks seem to have settled in ok so far.

The hardest partnership to build is of course the CB's both are used to playing a high pressing line which doesn't seem to be the way Brendan Rodgers wants to play at the moment as he want to play Gerrard as a deep lying midfielder which is new to both Lovren and Sakho and will probably take more than 3 games together for them to work out the kinks and get used to playing this system outside of training.

T-K-O wrote: »

We all wanted Sahko and then Lovern to come in and improve the back 4, unfortunately that hasn't materialised...yet.

They have had 3 games together that's all.. I think it will take a bit of time.

James Pearce is one.
    Martin Skrtel is likely to replace Mamadou Sakho at the back, while Rodgers must decide whether to recall Lazar Markovic, who is available after being suspended for the win over Ludogorets.

T-K-O wrote: »

Don't think many will argue the defence isn't still broken

Jonathan Northcroft ‏@JNorthcroft 1m
    Someone who usually knows thinks Borini will start for Liverpool today

Lets hope he builds on his performance against Ludogorets.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement