Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

Fescue wrote: »
    James Pearce is one.

Fair enough, wasn't aware he had access to the team sheet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

They have had 3 games together that's all I think it will take a bit of time.

True, there is no reason to think they won't come good but there is also no reason to write Skrtel off, in the hope that they will come good.

Fact of the matter is, we have spent a lot of money on CB's and to date, Sktrel is at least on par with the new guys.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Don't think many will argue the defence isn't still broken

Individual errors at the back is a problem but defending as a team is the real issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Fair enough, wasn't aware he had access to the team sheet

Well we'll know at 4.30 or so. I think Skrtel will come back in for the reason that he is better than Sakho. Which is what you expect, the better players to be picked ahead of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,932 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If we can get the CB's in sync like these two we should be fine.

zI9IIaU.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Based on the last three or four games Lovren deserves to be dropped before Sakho. Neither have had dominant, error free games but Lovren has been at fault for more of the goals conceded than Sakho, Skrtel is not going to rectify the problems in defence imo. The three of them are rash aggressive defenders.

They have had 3 games together that's all.. I think it will take a bit of time.

Exactly, they need time to form a partnership. Also throw two fullbacks into the equation not to mention a dithering goalkeeper.

Skrtel was ever present last season when we conceded mountains of goals. I certainly don't think he is the answer

Well we'll know at 4.30 or so. I think Skrtel will come back in for the reason that he is better than Sakho. Which is what you expect, the better players to be picked ahead of others.

Not necessarily. Sterling wasn't picked last week

Rodgers could well rotate the 3 CB's this season with the CL.

mav79 wrote: »
    Based on the last three or four games Lovren deserves to be dropped before Sakho. Neither have had dominant, error free games but Lovren has been at fault for more of the goals conceded than Sakho, Skrtel is not going to rectify the problems in defence imo. The three of them are rash aggressive defenders.

I think Rodgers wants his defenders to be aggressive and proactive. Certainly thats how Skrtel and Lovren play. Manquillo and Moreno fit that mould. At the moment its not working too well but if Rodgers can get it to work as effectively as he transformed the attack we should be alright.

People also need to look we are bedding 6 or 7 new players as well at the moment.

Moreno, Lovren, Manquillo, Balotelli, Markovic, Lallana & Can.

You then add in Sakho and Broini who have both played less than 20 games each for Liverpool.

That is 9 players with about 50 games between them it was never going to be an easy start to the season.

• Advertisement

I think Rodgers wants his defenders to be aggressive and proactive. Certainly thats how Skrtel and Lovren play. Manquillo and Moreno fit that mould. At the moment its not working too well but if Rodgers can get it to work as effectively as he transformed the attack we should be alright.

With Gerrard sitting on top of them that is never going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

"accident waiting to happen"

Lazy arm-chair analysis I've heard a few times lately

The thing with Arsenal is they try and walk the ball in.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Do you think Sakho will be ditched? He looks like an accident waiting to happen at the moment but he has all the attributes and probably needs the game time if he's ever going to settle in this league. Different positions and all but De Gea was a laughing stock for a year at United, look at him now. I reckon he will be a very capable defender if given the backing and time.

Skrtel will be 30 soon and sakho is only 24 so i was hoping sakho would get an extended run of games but by all accounts skrtel will come back in today so i guess not, i think sakho has a very high ceiling and skrtel is what he is, a very large mixed bag.
    I dont care who plays centre back as long as they cut out mistakes and keep it relatively tight but i dont see skrtel adding that, lovren has been pretty much involved in some way a good few goals already this year. Anyways, so long as gerrard is our deepest midfielder with offensive full backs we will never really know how good our centre backs can be.

God i forgot how bad the last 2 upton park games were, last season we needed 2 penos to win and the year before big joe cole scored the winner, adam morgan was on the bench that day too! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Our back 4 should be

Manquillo-Lovren-Sakho-Moreno

barring injuries. That could be the backline for the next number of years if given a chance to gel. Has all the attributes to be a successful back four. Get a better GK behind them and some defence coaches in and we'll be set :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Skrtel is the worst central defender of the 3 by a long shot imo. Was hoping he would be shipped out tbh.

Consensus by whom btw? You could be right but wondering who said it

Skrtel is the worst out of the 3? He's the best out of the 3 if you ask me

mada999 wrote: »
    Skrtel is the worst out of the 3? He's the best out of the 3 if you ask me

Well I did say imo.

Skrtel is a very average defender in my book.

Well I did say imo.

Skrtel is a very average defender in my book.

Senderos is your typical very average defender. Skrtel is a level above.

The problem with Agger & Skrtel (imo) they need a leader beside them. Sahko is the same. I'm hopeful in time Lovern can be that guy.

If Skrtel is as bad as you say, We are screwed because the other two have done nothing to suggest they are a level above.

emo72 wrote: »
    We seem to be spending biggish money on CDs and still ending up with less than stellar performances.

Streaming is where its at now. Spotify ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

We needed an upgrade on Skrtel, we signed Sakho and Lovren who should have seen Skrtel move down to 3rd choice centre half but based on performances so far I'd say Skrtel is still our best defender, which is worrying.

Hopefully Sakho and Lovren will settle in and improve soon, because IMO Skrtel is not good enough to be a starting centre half for a team looking to challenge for the title.

Andrew Beasley ‏@BassTunedToRed 4h
    #LFC's record under Brendan Rodgers in league games following league defeats:
    W12 D3 L1.

Can any of you guys tell me how to embed tweets?

Lovren prodomanently played lcb iirc although he is right footed, bit of a throw back to last season when some called for an anger-sakho partnership but both being left footed seemed to be a problem despite their being examples of same footed partnerships, so while Lovren is playing rcb with sakho he prefers lcb I guess.
    It's a bit strange you would have thought wed have bought a dedicated rcb to partner sakho or sell him and buy Lovren and another cb perhaps.
    On centre backs Bordeaux played last night and no sign of ilori, probably injured as he was not even on the bench. If they keep going well it will be interesting to see if he gets game time.

klose wrote: »
    Lovren prodomanently played lcb iirc although he is right footed, bit of a throw back to last season when some called for an anger-sakho partnership but both being left footed seemed to be a problem despite their being examples of same footed partnerships, so while Lovren is playing rcb with sakho he prefers lcb I guess.
    It's a bit strange you would have thought wed have bought a dedicated rcb to partner sakho or sell him and buy Lovren and another cb perhaps.
    On centre backs Bordeaux played last night and no sign of ilori, probably injured as he was not even on the bench. If they keep going well it will be interesting to see if he gets game time.

Personally I'm not having the ' I can't perform 5 yards to the left excuse'. If CB can only play on the left/right - he's useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

T-K-O wrote: »
    Personally I'm not having the ' I can't perform 5 yards to the left excuse'. If CB can only play on the left/right - he's useless.

I'm in this camp too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Get the URL of the tweet and just post it, Boards does it automatically

https://twitter.com/BassTunedToRed/status/513228474803556352

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Get the URL of the tweet and just post it, Boards does it automatically

https://twitter.com/BassTunedToRed/status/513228474803556352

You the man!

Oh I'm the same as yourself it just seems to be a line trotted about on t'internet.

klose wrote: »
    Oh I'm the same as yourself it just seems to be a line trotted about on t'internet.

I've read that nonsense more times than I care to remember. The dumbing down of playing centre half. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Not confident about this one at all.

Hopefully the performance levels pick up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

djPSB wrote: »
    Not confident about this one at all.

Hopefully the performance levels pick up.

me either, but I am hopeful that beingthe home team, they'll come out and attack more rather than two-rows-of-5 defense in front of their own fans.

As long as they don't score early, it could be interesting.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

"accident waiting to happen"

Lazy arm-chair analysis I've heard a few times lately

While it might be true, Lovren is an accident happening right in front of our eyes.

If either of them deserves the chop it's Lovren.

I'd still rather give them a few more games together. Give them until the next international break unless they're really terrible.

I'd be also interested to see how our back 4 fare without Gerrard in front of them.

The job he's doing at the moment is mostly pretty limited. It's certainly not beyond Henderson. Although he isn't as good in the tackle his greater mobility makes up for that a bit.
    While Gerrard is getting assists he's worth persevering with. His set piece delivery has been pretty poor so far though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Senderos is your typical very average defender. Skrtel is a level above.

The problem with Agger & Skrtel (imo) they need a leader beside them. Sahko is the same. I'm hopeful in time Lovern can be that guy.

If Skrtel is as bad as you say, We are screwed because the other two have done nothing to suggest they are a level above.

Even more boring than the debate about what "World Class" means.

What does average really mean?:pac:
    Andrew Beasley ‏@BassTunedToRed 4h
    #LFC's record under Brendan Rodgers in league games following league defeats:
    W12 D3 L1.

Without seeing what our record following draws or following wins is, that stat doesn't tell us a whole lot.

Gbear wrote: »
    Even more boring than the debate about what "World Class" means.

What does average really mean?:pac:

Without seeing what our record following draws or following wins is, that stat doesn't tell us a whole lot.

:D
    You'll notice I said 'your typical average player' in response to a comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I have a feeling we are all going to be gutted we didn't try for Alex Song after today's game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Its hard for any CB pairing to defend well when there is zero protection in front of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Ibe scores for Derby! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Jordan IBE scored for derby :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Ibe off the bench to score with his first touch for Derby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

G'wan my son!

He's going to be massive.

U18s played and beat Bolton this morning

Team: Firth, Whelan, Hart, Brewitt, Roberts, Chirivella, Wilson, Phillips, Sinclair (goal), Canos (goal), Marsh (goal).

:)

Chirivella's first start this season I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

10696223_10152847764827573_5977765280188255990_n.jpg?oh=5791b69aa13f73b795ce0b975ea574d4&oe=548F9188&__gda__=1422479473_854f77161a2da9f82cb2032a9aa26d99

Feel bad for Sakho didnt deserve to be dropped imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Lucas and Gerrard in the same side. Lord save us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Back to the diamond. Wise choice Rodgers. Hopefully it's Lucas providing cover for the back 4 and Gerrard playing in the Joe Allen role. If it's the other way around, can't see us getting more than a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

team as predicted yesterday by the bib theory.

Skrtel, Lucas and Gerrard that really scares the life out of me no pace and easily turned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Coutinho not even on the bench? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Massive game for Lucas and Borini. Really need a win here just to kind of kick start the season again.

team as predicted yesterday by the bib theory.

Which is funny cause I think what they do is essentially peak over the wall at training, see who is wearing the same bibs as Gerrard and that's the team.

Bib Theory indeed.

Skrtel, Lucas and Gerrard that really scares the life out of me no pace and easily turned.

Is Skrtel that slow? I know he's not super fast but I don't think he's particularly slow.

• Advertisement

Fairly meh team, toure and sakho on the bench and neither will probably come in give a younger player a spot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement