Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

daithijjj wrote: »
    Only an Arsenal fan from Kerry can probably enjoy a pint this weekend/tonight.

Or every person in Ireland who does not follow an English football team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Or every person in Ireland who does not follow an English football team

Yeah, He's gone the pictures with his sister

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

T-K-O wrote: »

makes no sense whatsoever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

T-K-O wrote: »

In the imc in dundalk

Eh?

He tweeted LOL... Utd and was met with a barrage of racism

liverpool-star-mario-balotelli-racially-4299642

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

rarnes1 wrote: »

I thought that finally mario account was fake!! Haha what a madser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Receiving a Balotelli 45 jersey in the post tomorrow, I really like the guy, he's as mad as a box of frogs, really impressed with him yesterday and I think he'll get goals for us.

The media can't get enough of him though, amazed that he came back to that, Suarez couldn't cope with that at all, so he must be strong minded enough.

This kind of treatment is completely unacceptable, and I hope those people get their just desserts. In this day and age....

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

here, there is racist fools everywhere that support many teams. I wouldn't read much into any of that, especially looking for a cheap pop at utd fans. The relative anonymity of twitter means that a lot of low brow morons will say and do stupid things in relative comfort - Look at this very forum with what went on on that site. Twitter - it brings out your inner stupid

BMMachine wrote: »
    here, there is racist fools everywhere that support many teams. I wouldn't read much into any of that, especially looking for a cheap pop at utd fans. The relative anonymity of twitter means that a lot of low brow morons will say and do stupid things in relative comfort - Look at this very forum with what went on on that site. Twitter - it brings out your inner stupid

Who's looking for a cheap pop? The media? I doubt it.

Hopefully these keyboard warriors are tracked down. They think they are anonymous online

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Receiving a Balotelli 45 jersey in the post tomorrow, I really like the guy, he's as mad as a box of frogs, really impressed with him yesterday and I think he'll get goals for us.

The media can't get enough of him though, amazed that he came back to that, Suarez couldn't cope with that at all, so he must be strong minded enough.

This kind of treatment is completely unacceptable, and I hope those people get their just desserts. In this day and age....

Suarez always struck me as sensitive in a lot of ways and having a need for acceptance for all his talent. Mario seems like more of a belligerent type that doesn't really care about what others think about him.

what? have you like, read newspapers? spoiler alert but THEY ARE ALL ABOUT CHEAP POPS. ITS HOW THEY SELL. perspective here is lacking. Yes they should be caught etc. but here, if you went after every racist on twitter the jails would be full of fools. you know how best to treat these fools? Ignore them. pretend they don't exist. You are only going to perpetuate the problem if you give them air time.
    what you shouldn't do is post about it in this nonchalant way of "oh look at the utd fans being racist..."

what? have you like, read newspapers? spoiler alert but THEY ARE ALL ABOUT CHEAP POPS. ITS HOW THEY SELL. perspective here is lacking. Yes they should be caught etc. but here, if you went after every racist on twitter the jails would be full of fools. you know how best to treat these fools? Ignore them. pretend they don't exist. You are only going to perpetuate the problem if you give them air time.
    what you shouldn't do is post about it in this nonchalant way of "oh look at the utd fans being racist..."

Ok, I'll get your clearance before posting about lfc players again cheers. It's a big story and shouldn't be just brushed under the carpet as you seem to suggest.

Ok, I'll get your clearance before posting about lfc players again cheers. It's a big story and shouldn't be just brushed under the carpet as you seem to suggest.

you think that racism on the internet is a big story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

In a footballing and Liverpool supporting context, it is a big story.

Just like the Irish students trashing their rented house in San Francisco, those idiots should be outed and face the rightful barrage of criticism and publicity

Yes it is, it's an LFC player racially abused

mario-balotelli-racist-abuse-manchester-united

liverpool-fc-star-mario-balotelli-7807276

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I almost don't regard twitter abuse as real, which is silly I know but its so common and so "flippant" most of the time it feels like a non event. I take the view that if you don't want to be abused don't post publicly on twitter. Its a playground for idiots.

I almost don't regard twitter abuse as real, which is silly I know but its so common and so "flippant" most of the time it feels like a non event. I take the view that if you don't want to be abused don't post publicly on twitter. Its a playground for idiots.

Certainly full of complete idiots alright. When a high profile player is racially abused it's gonna make headlines, especially if somebody has reported it to police as they will have to investigate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I will say Mario was as bad as everybody else, they all must have got paid on Friday and did'nt give a flying f**k on Saturday. Nobody is looking for them to win every match but that was as bad as I can remember.

Nobody gave a damn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Twitter is full of these dickheads.

I mentioned this in another thread on another topic but I don't think human culture has caught up with technology yet.

It's too easy to post whatever horrific abuse that darts into your head where everyone can see it, and it can't really be taken back.
    In person, you usually have little filters that stop you sharing the worst of your internal monologue or the shapeless venom you direct at people. An awful lot of people can't get that to work when all they've got is a lifeless screen in front of them.

To be honest, I don't think this is a news story. You only have to look at Carra's tweets - there's usually a couple of "Scouse ****"'s in there. It's much the same with everyone famous really.

There's plenty of bigots out there but I suspect the bulk of this stuff is just morons who don't think before they post something designed purely to be abusive.

Unfortunately, if they're in the UK, learning that lesson could be very costly to them. Still, it's hard to have too much sympathy for the sorts of people who post that kind of muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hopefully these keyboard warriors are tracked down. They think they are anonymous online
    Certainly full of complete idiots alright. When a high profile player is racially abused it's gonna make headlines, especially if somebody has reported it to police as they will have to investigate

which has happened

http://www.clickliverpool.com/news/uk-news/1221641-police-probe-into-racist-taunts-aimed-at-liverpool-striker-balotelli.html?
    Police in Liverpool have launched an investigation into racist abuse directed at Reds striker Mario Balotelli after he posted a wry Tweet over Manchester United's crushing defeat by Leicester.

Balotelli posted "Man Utd...LOL" on Twitter feed just minutes after United went down 5 - 2 against Premiership the new boys at the King Power Stadium.

But as soon as the Italian international fired-off his three-word comment he found himself on the receiving end of barrage of racist replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The kick racism out of football campaign has a way to go yet.

As Liverpool fans, I don't think we can sit back and just pass racism off as being inconsequential just because it's on Twitter or any other form of social media. There should be a zero tolerance approach to it from the authorities.

Balotelli was the victim of racial abuse in Italy in a big way and was almost an unofficial poster boy for anti racism.

It's absolutely disgusting, now more than ever I stand.behind the kick it out campaign. Have you seen how racism had affected Roberto Carlos and others, it's sickening.

That can transfer to mindless idiots in the stands aswell, teams will walk off pitches and rightly so. When a player is at 180 hr, it's not easy to control your reaction to racism or other abuse, like Zidane or Cantona, the consequences of tolerating it are not at all good

The kick racism out of football campaign has a way to go yet.

The only way you'll get racism out of football (as in the fans) is if there are no more racists in the world. That side of it isn't possible.
    Players and staff etc you have much more control over.

Yes it is, it's an LFC player racially abused

mario-balotelli-racist-abuse-manchester-united

liverpool-fc-star-mario-balotelli-7807276

I would almost be sure that nearly every footballer (white,black,blue and purple) gets racially abused somewhere on the internet everyday. Just because media outlets have convinced you that its a big story doesn't make it so. They are selling you what you want to hear, not news. again - perspective

I would almost be sure that nearly every footballer (white,black,blue and purple) gets racially abused somewhere on the internet everyday. Just because media outlets have convinced you that its a big story doesn't make it so. They are selling you what you want to hear, not news. again - perspective

I wish it wasn't a major news story, but balo seems to sell papers. It's still completely out of order though just within Twitter circles in this case

Just thinking aswell, could goading other clubs and /or their fans on twitter and the like be seen in the same light as things like running over to celebrate in front of them and land him in trouble?

Taking the racism bits out of the equation he got a fair bit of abuse (calling him a cnut etc) which I'm sure he knows to expect. Maybe footballers need curfews on their twitter accounts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Would be interested to see an example of a white footballer getting racially abused ???

Do they all have police investigations to make them newsworthy?

As a pool fan you can surely understand why it's newsworthy in here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It's a nothing story. If Tyler Blackett posted Lol...Liverpool yesterday he would have got the same. Newsflash : There's c*nts everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

It's a nothing story. If Tyler Blackett posted Lol...Liverpool yesterday he would have got the same. Newsflash : There's c*nts everywhere.

"But your honour, there's ***** everywhere"

"Case dismissed"

• Advertisement

It's a nothing story but yet Police are investigating it. Somebody better tell them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So turn a blind eye to it and leave it alone is that the answer to it then?

I take offense when someone abuses me in here, and it's completely anonymous. I report it every time because it's against the charter.

And that's not in the same league as what Balo is on the receiving end of. We want to be evolving as a civil society, but that behavior is going completely backwards.

Do they all have police investigations to make them newsworthy?

As a pool fan you can surely understand why it's newsworthy in here?

because that lowbrow twitter trolling is beneath me and the news associated with it is beneath me also. I care not a jot for the police investigation and fully believe that these matters are blown massively out of proportion in comparison to the reality of whats going on. I also believe that this kind of dumb****ery won't be stopped with police investigations so yeah, the whole thing is pointless.
    'Racist morons on twitter abuse footballer' is not "big" news. You know that whole "Rise above hate" thing? its the 'rise' part of that phrase which you should be looking at. Ignore them, don't give them air time, don't respond to them, they are nothing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I think Dzeko posted something on Twitter not too long back mocking Utd when they lost and he got stick but it wasn't really of the racist nature that Balotelli is getting. You make the comparison of Blackett because he is black, and you might be right, but it's still wrong. Racism is wrong. The people giving the abuse are genuine idiots and if the UK Police are involved then they will get what they deserve.

I'm sure they are not alone, plenty of idiots out there supporting every club, even Liverpool, and plenty of times I've been ashamed of ****e said by "comrades".

because that lowbrow twitter trolling is beneath me and the news associated with it is beneath me also. I care not a jot for the police investigation and fully believe that these matters are blown massively out of proportion in comparison to the reality of whats going on. I also believe that this kind of dumb****ery won't be stopped with police investigations so yeah, the whole thing is pointless.
    'Racist morons on twitter abuse footballer' is not "big" news. You know that whole "Rise above hate" thing? its the 'rise' part of that phrase which you should be looking at. Ignore them, don't give them air time, don't respond to them, they are nothing

Why are you saying I should ignore them? They didn't racially abuse me? I merely posted the story which bizarrely you are just taking exception to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

You know that whole "Rise above hate" thing? its the 'rise' part of that phrase which you should be looking at. Ignore them, don't give them air time, don't respond to them, they are nothing

Nothing more noble than rising above the hate directed at somebody else.

I think you need to drop this argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

And it still wouldn't be right. I admit I can be fairly intolerant towards some races but it's just ****ing cowardly that twitter racist abuse stuff.
    Balotelli is well used to it what he got in Italy was disgusting. Racism is the scurge of society. Hate someone for the person they are not the colour of there skin.

• Advertisement

I think some of you are misunderstanding me. It's a nothing story in a football related context, there is no moral high ground to be taken here. Liverpool have racist fans, United have racist fans, every club in the league has racist fans. There are c*nts everywhere.

If they arrest and charge some of these people and shame them in public, it might prevent others from doing something similar. That can only be good.

I think some of you are misunderstanding me. It's a nothing story in a football related context, there is no moral high ground to be taken here. Liverpool have racist fans, United have racist fans, every club in the league has racist fans. There are c*nts everywhere.

This really has nothing to do with the allegiance of the supporters who tweeted it. I don't think anyone is making this an anti-united thing. It's just pretty sickening when a player gets that kind of vitriol from racist scum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Can I ask you Will, would you involve the Police in the matter if you were Balotelli? Would you remove or ban these users from Twitter if you were working for Twitter?

Fescue wrote: »
    This really has nothing to do with the allegiance of the supporters who tweeted it. I don't think anyone is making this an anti-united thing. It's just pretty sickening when a player gets that kind of vitriol from racist scum.

Just find it weird how people are so shocked by it. Sadly, I'd be more surprised if it didn't happen.

Why are you saying I should ignore them? They didn't racially abuse me? I merely posted the story which bizarrely you are just taking exception to.

as I said, you seemed to be posting it in this nonchalant manner of "oh look at the racist united fans.." and use it as a stick to get a cheap pop. I'm also 99% sure I'm not wrong about that but I have no doubt you will deny it, its the nature of internet communication :)
    and what I'm saying is that these racists CAN be ignored. they CAN be risen above. endless police investigations won't stop the problem. Users actively ignoring them will. You can block them and you can make it so they are pissing in the wind. Giving them air time only encourages it.

oh and that goes for the media too. if they really had a moral conscience (which lets be fair, we know they don't) they would be going for better ways of dealing with this scourge rather than packaging it and selling it to you.

• Advertisement

Augmerson wrote: »
    Can I ask you Will, would you involve the Police in the matter if you were Balotelli? Would you remove or ban these users from Twitter if you were working for Twitter?

Yes. Their names are there to be traced and should get whatever punishment is deemed appropriate but I just don't like when people use this kind of thing to take the moral high ground.

Just find it weird how people are so shocked by it. Sadly, I'd be more surprised if it didn't happen.

I honestly was shocked when I read it. It might just be me. I didn't realise this went on when players of different ethnic backgrounds posted stuff on Twitter. I expect the usual barage of expletives but that was shocking.

If the police are doing something about it, thats a good thing no?

as I said, you seemed to be posting it in this nonchalant manner of "oh look at the racist united fans.." and use it as a stick to get a cheap pop. I'm also 99% sure I'm not wrong about that but I have no doubt you will deny it, its the nature of internet communication :)
    and what I'm saying is that these racists CAN be ignored. they CAN be risen above. endless police investigations won't stop the problem. Users actively ignoring them will. You can block them and you can make it so they are pissing in the wind. Giving them air time only encourages it.

Well you're 99% wrong, if I was 12 maybe. Believe it or not not everything revolves around man utd, particularly in this thread. Always had you pegged for a pool fan actually.

You are just digging a hole with your ignore racism stuff btw. Certainly shouldn't be ignored. Name and shame.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Can we discuss something else? This argument is tedious.

Fescue wrote: »
    I honestly was shocked when I read it. It might just be me. I didn't realise this went on when players of different ethnic backgrounds posted stuff on Twitter. I expect the usual barage of expletives but that was shocking.

If the police are doing something about it, thats a good thing no?

Ah come on, you never read YouTube comments or anything like that. The Internet gives these cowardly knuckle draggers the freedom to get their hate across.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement