Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Yes. Their names are there to be traced and should get whatever punishment is deemed appropriate but I just don't like when people use this kind of thing to take the moral high ground.

I don't really care for the moral high ground either but if you think these people should be brought to the attention of the law enforcement then I don't think it's a non-story. Hopefully they will, the less of that ****e in the world the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Ah come on, you never read YouTube comments or anything like that. The Internet gives these cowardly knuckle draggers the freedom to get their hate across.

I do sometimes and have seen plenty of horrendous stuff. But some of these people had their names and pictures beside their comments. I guess that makes it more real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

5starpool wrote: »
    Can we discuss something else? This argument is tedious.

Tuesday night perhaps? I'd play Enrique to give Moreno a rest but I think Lovren and Sakho should start to get more playing time together. Markovic HAS to start, I have to say I'm impressed with his pace but that is it. I'm already worrying about him, I think he probably will make it but he has to start bedding in soon. Lallana and Lambert also should get 90mins together.

8-10 wrote: »
    Tuesday night perhaps? I'd play Enrique to give Moreno a rest but I think Lovren and Sakho should start to get more playing time together. Markovic HAS to start, I have to say I'm impressed with his pace but that is it. I'm already worrying about him, I think he probably will make it but he has to start bedding in soon. Lallana and Lambert also should get 90mins together.

I'm like a broken record but Sakho won't be first choice at Liverpool. Skrtel and Lovren to start.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

On Tuesday I reckon we'll line out something like:

Jones
    Enrique
    Sakho
    Toure
    Manquillo (unless McLaughlin makes the step up)
    Henderson
    Lucas
    Suso
    Markovic
    Lambert
    Borini

Still a reasonably strong team, but might be a bit disjointed having not played together at all really.

Ya, I posted the team I think it'll be earlier. I don't think we'll see a first choice defence playing, even if it is a good idea.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Well you're 99% wrong, if I was 12 maybe. Believe it or not not everything revolves around man utd, particularly in this thread. Always had you pegged for a pool fan actually.

You are just digging a hole with your ignore racism stuff btw. Certainly shouldn't be ignored. Name and shame.

I'm talking about racism on the internet, which is absolutely rife with it. I don't really care if you see me as digging a hole, I'm looking at the bigger picture here and forever chasing down morons slapping their wrists (which is what will happen) won't change a thing. If theres racist chants at games, yeah, absolutely chase these morons down but the internet is a different kettle of fish in these terms. Attention seeking, trolling and anger based extremism are the most common causes of this behaviour imo and the best medicine? blocking, ignoring and rising above it.

BMMachine wrote: »
    I'm talking about racism on the internet, which is absolutely rife with it. I don't really care if you see me as digging a hole, I'm looking at the bigger picture here and forever chasing down morons slapping their wrists (which is what will happen) won't change a thing. If theres racist chants at games, yeah, absolutely chase these morons down but the internet is a different kettle of fish in these terms. Attention seeking, trolling and anger based extremism are the most common causes of this behaviour imo and the best medicine? blocking, ignoring and rising above it.

I think you are arguing with yourself at this stage. Carry on, my head hurts!

Fescue wrote: »
    I'm like a broken record but Sakho won't be first choice at Liverpool. Skrtel and Lovren to start.

It's the league cup 3rd round in September, at home to lower league opposition. I wouldn't be starting all first choice players. Skrtel is just coming back from injury so I'd give him the rest. The other 2 will need to be able to play together occasionally so this is a chance for more experience of it, I'm more worried about this pairing than Skrtel + one of them. Trust me, we'll see all 3 of those pairings at some stage this season

You were banging the anti Sahko drum proudly yesterday before the game alright!

Can't blame him for the first two goals. The other two were poor. Lovern has been very disappointing so far imo

Can't blame him for the first two goals. The other two were poor. Lovern has been very disappointing so far imo

I agree with this but I still think Skrtel and Lovren will be the first choice for the big games this year when fit. Lovren needs to start playing soon though

• Advertisement

I'm getting sick of listening to myself go on about it. Skrtel didn't exactly cover himself in glory either.

My very last word on Sakho, then I'll drop it.

He came on, gave a suicidal pass to Skrtel in the box, almost decapitated Lovren and was the main cause of the last goal with a ridiculous header.

He is not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Lucas needs to be off loaded to italy ion January. Lovely player in his day but his legs are completely gone and he offers nothing anymore. The italian pace would be fine for him but he is not able for the premier league anymore.
    The midfield is the problem. Gerard has to go. The man is a legend but he has to go from midfield. he's legs are gone and no he should not play centre back, throughout his career he has proven terrible at tracking runs. Is that not why rafa moved him forward as gerard could not do the defensive part of the game correctly. If he had the lags i'd play him right back for the cross but don't think he is capable of that either
    If we don't get 4th this year we are ****ed. I don't think we are going to unearth another suares anytime soon.
    Mignolet is ****. There is a serious problem with liverpool goal keeper. they come to the club good and end up ****. This can be every keeper that has been there for the last 10 years. Can we just sign whoever celtics goal keepers coaches are as they have consistently made keeper better than the actually were.
    We are going to get a trimming off everton next week. Moreno will be caught up in no mans land at some stage and the have coleman and mcgeady to exploit us on the right side.

Be interesting how the reserve team go against the boro during the week

Also sterling needs a major kick upn the whole . he was **** yesterday

here comesd Honey Boo Boo...

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

I think you are arguing with yourself at this stage. Carry on, my head hurts!

I really don't see how what I said could be confusing. and I was replying to you, so what exactly do you mean 'arguing with yourself'? maybe its this kind of communication that would lead me to think you were looking for cheap pops when you originally posted the articles

I agree with this but I still think Skrtel and Lovren will be the first choice for the big games this year when fit. Lovren needs to start playing soon though

Lovern will improve I think.

Sakho first choice for me and Lovren in beside him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'd agree.

Even Rodgers commented on how difficult it was for Loveren to switch to the opposite side of defense due to the injury to Skrtel, that would lead me to believe that Rodgers likes to have a balance in the CB pairing.

Lallana when he came on was half decent coming back from injury.

punters will be saying at Christmas " he's only coming back from injury".. needs to step up imo

I would consider looking to sign a right sided centre back in January. A proven defender. I think Lovren has something about him and will come good. He's a very good footballer also.

The rest are meh.

BMMachine wrote: »
    I really don't see how what I said could be confusing. and I was replying to you, so what exactly do you mean 'arguing with yourself'? maybe its this kind of communication that would lead me to think you were looking for cheap pops when you originally posted the articles

Look, I posted an article about Balotelli being abused.

You have said twice now I posted it as a cheap pop at Utd fans despite this being the Liverpool thread. Seems you just want an argument tbh.

You think anyone else wants to read it? I'm out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Yup skrtel is what he is and isn't going to get any better, lovren and sakho have room for improvement, i think it makes sense to play both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

I'm getting sick of listening to myself go on about it. Skrtel didn't exactly cover himself in glory either.

My very last word on Sakho, then I'll drop it.

He came on, gave a suicidal pass to Skrtel in the box, almost decapitated Lovren and was the main cause of the last goal with a ridiculous header.

He is not good enough.

Not good enough why? Based on one game? Based on many games? The question is why can he do it for France (And he does) and not for Liverpool? Why can Lovern do it for his country and not for Liverpool? Why do teams all of a sudden think they can do Liverpool over like it was 10 years ago and we had a soft centre? Why do our centre halves get bullied by aggressive attackers? Why do our players - Hendo yerterday/Skrtle/Lovern/Sahko when defending a corner/free kick grab hold of the opposition and get too carried away with assaulting the opposition instead of watching the flight of the ball and actually WINNING the f***ing header???

Its not rocket science ... in fact go out to LSL senior league on a sunday morning and see the most basic of defenders do it.

It's not acceptable to do what Liverpool do. To have an image of a soft centre and one that opposition managers come out afterwards and talk about "tactics to get at Liverpool" which includes lobbing high balls in on top of their centre halves and pressing Gerard. That happens in every game ... Do they say that about Chelsea/City??? No ... cos Kompany/Terry wouldn't be bullied like that.

Yes it comes down to the players that are directly involved - BUT - i also think Rodgers needs to address this characteristic before it becomes an underlying problem of the season.

Liverpool have an absolutely HUGE game this week against Everton and i'd say Lukaku is chomping at the bit to get at us. It's time to stand up and be counted. All of a sudden BR is making strange decisions (Lucas/Borini) are prime examples. It's certainly interesting times.

They were making the point on Sunday Supplement this morning that teams are now targeting Gerrard. For me he isn't contributing enough in the role to justify shaping the team around him. He was by no means the big problem against West ham but I think we need to look to others now with Gerrard not being so integral to everything.

the problem is as i see it..

they opposition are dropping back, letting Gerrard getting the ball and then marking everything further up the pich.. he then has to try a hollywood pass or play it back to our defense knowing he's not gonna run at them.. midfield is a shambles...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Mario should be keeping his head down instead of posting nonsense like that on twitter. No point in bringing attention to himself. I've been impressed with him so far and think we will see the best out of him when sturridge is back but we have just lost 2 league games leave childish stuff like that to the supporters.

Just wait till Leicester play Liverpool, that's all I'm saying

was watching them against Chelsea and they should have got atleast a draw..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I am very upset.

As you can see I was very upset yesterday.

After today's results I am a little happier, particularly Leicester's result , a 5-3 beating against Manchester United.

However, I am still upset.

mada999 wrote: »
    was watching them against Chelsea and they should have got atleast a draw..

Thankfully we aren't playing them until December (although the same gameweek that we lost away to Hull last year) and promoted teams that start well have often run out of steam a bit by December. If we can get 11 points from our next 5 games we should hopefully be back on track a bit, and given the fixtures I'd hope we will at least get 11, and if we want to be in the top 4 we really should be getting 13 points. It's as kind a run (derby aside) as we have all season.

Everton H
    West Brom H
    QPR A
    Hull H
    Newcastle A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Chelsea today showed why they concede so little. The CB pairing very rarely get dragged out of position, always in tandem and leave the fullbacks to deal with problems in the width, the goal they conceeded was caused by Ivanovic going walkabout and leaving Schurle to defend. Until we sort out the way the team defends it doesn't matter who we have as the back two.
    The idea of having your full backs forward all the time is great on paper but they only seem to hampering the attacking players that move wide to receive the ball. It looks very easy to mark players out of the game the way we are set up.

Yesterday there were numerous times where the CB's had the ball only for Gerrard, Lucas and Henderson to drop deep to collect the ball, and pass it between themselves. As much as Couthino loses the ball he at least has the balls to start an attack. Both Lovren and Sakho can make a pass they don't need a midfielder to take the ball off their toes to make a 5 yard pass. Yesterday showed just how much we miss a midfielder that can pick a ball up and drive at the opposition. Lack of trust across the whole team is a problem.

Thankfully we aren't playing them until December (although the same gameweek that we lost away to Hull last year) and promoted teams that start well have often run out of steam a bit by December. If we can get 11 points from our next 5 games we should hopefully be back on track a bit, and given the fixtures I'd hope we will at least get 11, and if we want to be in the top 4 we really should be getting 13 points. It's as kind a run (derby aside) as we have all season.

Everton H
    West Brom H
    QPR A
    Hull H
    Newcastle A

Fcuk me 11 points the way we are playing and I'll be doing cartwheels tbh.

On current form I think we'll get 6/7

Good point about centre backs being dragged out of position. It happens so often with us

Fcuk me 11 points the way we are playing and I'll be doing cartwheels tbh.

On current form I think we'll get 6/7

I agree, but I'm hoping that this form is indeed temporary. If we get even 8 points from those 5 games, that'll only be 14 points from 10 games which is really bad, and form from 2-3 years ago.

If you're going to look ahead in the fixture and predict results you're going to have a bad time. One game at a time lads.

• Advertisement

mav79 wrote: »
    Chelsea today showed why they concede so little. The CB pairing very rarely get dragged out of position, always in tandem and leave the fullbacks to deal with problems in the width, the goal they conceeded was caused by Ivanovic going walkabout and leaving Schurle to defend. Until we sort out the way the team defends it doesn't matter who we have as the back two.
    The idea of having your full backs forward all the time is great on paper but they only seem to hampering the attacking players that move wide to receive the ball. It looks very easy to mark players out of the game the way we are set up.

Yesterday there were numerous times where the CB's had the ball only for Gerrard, Lucas and Henderson to drop deep to collect the ball, and pass it between themselves. As much as Couthino loses the ball he at least has the balls to start an attack. Both Lovren and Sakho can make a pass they don't need a midfielder to take the ball off their toes to make a 5 yard pass. Yesterday showed just how much we miss a midfielder that can pick a ball up and drive at the opposition. Lack of trust across the whole team is a problem.

There's a case for both in regards to attacking fullbacks - City like to have attacking fullbacks and Zabaletta is excellent at it whreras Chelsea like to sit tight and be patient enough against the bigger teams knowing they'll get a chance to score - against lesser teams they just steamroll them.

But i agree that Liverpool need to cop on regarding the positioning of the fullbacks mainly when we lose the ball. We've struggled to adapt in midfield with Gerard getting pressed like he has been recently - we've tried to bring Hendo/Lucas in to help the balance and it hasn't worked - Coutinho has been very hit and miss this season and thats the main problem - relying on fullbacks to carry a threat instead of the mids.

I don't think that Rodgers will ever go defensive style like Mourinho does so we gotta live with what we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

This really has nothing to do with the allegiance of the supporters who tweeted it. I don't think anyone is making this an anti-united thing. It's just pretty sickening when a player gets that kind of vitriol from racist scum.

I think it's great that a simple and free social media service which limits its output to 140 characters is able to lure these fascist wanker$ into revealing themselves in public. I regret that Balo or anyone else is hurt as a result but thankfully the police can quite easily track down these idiots and ensure they are prosecuted the extent of the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

There's a case for both in regards to attacking fullbacks - City like to have attacking fullbacks and Zabaletta is excellent at it whreras Chelsea like to sit tight and be patient enough against the bigger teams knowing they'll get a chance to score - against lesser teams they just steamroll them.

But i agree that Liverpool need to cop on regarding the positioning of the fullbacks mainly when we lose the ball. We've struggled to adapt in midfield with Gerard getting pressed like he has been recently - we've tried to bring Hendo/Lucas in to help the balance and it hasn't worked - Coutinho has been very hit and miss this season and thats the main problem - relying on fullbacks to carry a threat instead of the mids.

I don't think that Rodgers will ever go defensive style like Mourinho does so we gotta live with what we have.

Do both City fullbacks go forward at the one time as ours are encouraged to do, though?

klose wrote: »
    If you're going to look ahead in the fixture and predict results you're going to have a bad time. One game at a time lads.

Meh, something to do. I can't think back on the last few games without getting annoyed, so I'll look forward to the inevitable rosy future (it's inevitable, ok?)

5live wrote: »
    Do both City fullbacks go forward at the one time as ours are encouraged to do, though?

Now my knowledge of tactics is pretty limited but what Liverpool seem to do is the two full backs push into midfield, Gerrard then drops in between the two centre backs who push wide. Leaving 3 at the back. That seems to be the way we set up in possession. Perhaps you need the guy in Gerrards role to be more defensively strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Would be interested to see an example of a white footballer getting racially abused ???

Zidane? Cantona?

I always thought City's fullbacks bomb forward from deep compared to the way we are set up with our fullbacks starting on the halfway line static. The way we are set up is not creating an outlet from defence or are they overlapping the attackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Good point about centre backs being dragged out of position. It happens so often with us

Pretty much everything Danny Murphy highlighted can be applied to Liverpool at the moment. Lack of communication and discipline between the CBs and them and the DM.

The diamond formation is also a factor I think when the deepest midfielder is easily isolated (or just too slow) the CBs are exposed more quickly and its mayhem before anyone else can get back to cut off the attack.

Ah just seen that Martin Kelly got the assist (after a fashion!) for Palace second goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Our three main competitors for Champions league position (Man Utd, Spurs, Everton) all lose today.

Turned a disastrous weekend into a merely disappointing one.

Time to kick on next week in the Merseyside Derby methinks.

Now my knowledge of tactics is pretty limited but what Liverpool seem to do is the two full backs push into midfield, Gerrard then drops in between the two centre backs who push wide. Leaving 3 at the back. That seems to be the way we set up in possession. Perhaps you need the guy in Gerrards role to be more defensively strong.

I think the problem is you have Gerrard dropping in between the CB's but then you have Lucas or Henderson dropping deep to offer an outlet and you still have four players all in front of the opposition. Its too easy to mark against. None of the four players are going to carry the ball into the opposition half.

• Advertisement

5live wrote: »

You'd have to ask Brendan if they are supposed to! Same with asking why the centre halves grappling with players instead of winning the header. Its keystone cops stuff.

mav79 wrote: »
    I think the problem is you have Gerrard dropping in between the CB's but then you have Lucas or Henderson dropping deep to offer an outlet and you still have four players all in front of the opposition. Its too easy to mark against. None of the four players are going to carry the ball into the opposition half.

None of the 4 players ever carried the ball into the opposition half last season and it wasn't a problem.

You'd have to ask Brendan if they are supposed to! Same with asking why the centre halves grappling with players instead of winning the header. Its keystone cops stuff.

While we play the diamond the full backs pretty much have to push up high to provide width/ an outlet seeing as we don't play wingers in the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

klose wrote: »
    While we play the diamond the full backs pretty much have to push up high to provide width/ an outlet seeing as we don't play wingers in the system.

It depends on how attacking you want to be, clearly both FBs charging up field can overload the opposition due to pace but clearly giving away possession cheaply high up the pitch immediately puts the emphasis exactly in the other direction and the attacking side are suddenly caught short of cover, so maybe Liverpool do need to be a bit more circumspect in this regard OR play three centre backs and use the FBs as wing backs and have one less body through the middle.

Something like this.

viitmd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

wgwtl, wgwtl, wgwtl, wgwtl!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Everton H
    West Brom H
    QPR A
    Hull H
    Newcastle A
    Need to be getting 12 points from 15 there to keep us in the hunt for top 4.

None of the 4 players ever carried the ball into the opposition half last season and it wasn't a problem.

Tbh I thought it was a problem last year, only an amazing attack covered up a lot of problems in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Everton were very good defensively last year with 2 full backs that are even more attacking than ours. However they played 2 dms in mccarthy and barry. Having a shocker defensively this year with the same system though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

With all the deserved questioning of his place in the starting XI I'd like to take this moment to day I love Steven Gerrard. He is and will always be my favourite Liverpool player. He was there when I first started supporting Liverpool and the memories he's given me since will never be forgotten, particularly in 2005. He wasn't even in his prime when I first started supporting Liverpool and the fact that he is now in decline reminds me that life is short and I'm getting older :( Liverpool and Gerrard have grown in to one and are as important to one another, one is not thought of without the other. Whatever happens Stevie, whether you're dropped or not, I love you and have loved supporting you and will continue to do so until the sad day comes that you decide to hang up your boots and whatever you decide to do after. I'm not drunk, it will be a sad day when our captain isn't leading out our team, and it's inevitably coming soon :(

Hold out for one more day x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

T-K-O wrote: »
    Yeah, BR is coaching the mistakes into the CB's

I think it's more a case of the system leaving them open far more often, leaving them under far more pressure. Enough vulnerabilities and cracks will always appear.

I'd be willing to bet that if Mascherano were in that gerrard role, tucking in between the two CB's, there would be far less incidences where the CB's were left exposed and we would concede far less goals.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement