Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd agree that Gerrard at least needs a rest. But that trio of Sterling, Lallana and Allen seems a little lightweight defensively. Just looking at it from an opposition's point of view, that would be an area I would think could be exploited. And believe me, as a united fan, I know all too well what happens when teams start running through a midfield straight at the heart of the defence.

Our biggest issue for me is that we're not doing the closing down and harassing in midfield that we used to.

Between the workrate of Lallana, Allen and Henderson I think that would be improved...it's not a role that necessarily needs strength, just diligence. You don't need to be a beast to close down and make passes more difficult, you just need fitness.

As it stands, in the diamond, the only person central is Gerrard who just doesn't seem to bother doing this. While Allen at the base of it is definitely more lightweight than I'd like (though is a lot stronger than he appears), Gerrard is proving to be almost a jumping off point for the opposition. We've seen Agbonlahor and Downing now on consecutive weekends literally just sit on him stopping him have time on the ball, and then start counter attacks by running off his shoulder, confident he can't stop them. Those guys aren't world beaters. I think in the same position, Allen is quicker on the turn to gain himself a little space, and he's a lot more mobile to prefer the person "marking" him from getting the run on him.

****it, we've been through this before, but is there anything to be said for Gerrard playing the Riquelme role behind the two frontmen? I want him to be in the team, i'm just not really sure where we can best use his strengths without his weaknesses hurting the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Not hitting the panic button just yet, I definitely think we will improve as the season goes on and as the players settle in. We're missing the likes of Sturridge, Allen and Can too.

However, I do think Rodgers has a big problem on his hands. Defensively we are a shambles, and I don't think it is down to the players not being good enough, as one or two posters pointed out the likes of Lovren and Sakho have performed very well at the top level in other teams. The problem IMO is how we are set up to play, last season we could afford to play like this because of Suarez, so far this year we haven't been able to reproduce those performances and we are getting torn asunder when teams attack us, Rodgers obviously knows something is wrong but now that the transfer window is closed what can he do to change it? We basically only have two defensive players on the pitch at all times (Centre halves), because Gerrard is not a defensive minded midfielder and the fullbacks are essentially playing like wing backs in this system.

There needs to be a big change made, I personally don't know what that change needs to be, but we cannot keep playing like this, even if we do improve it is doubtful that we will ever reach the attacking threat we had last season. We were all begging for a centre half, a left back, a striker etc during the summer and now it seems to be a defensive midfielder, while I think we do need to bring one in, a change in system might be what's needed more so. That is where Rodgers needs to make the call because it will be a big one, we can't afford too many more performances like the last few.

Don't think we can call any of the new signings flops, even the dislike towards Mignolet, Sakho, Gerrard isn't fully justified IMO. I think a change in how we play/set up is in order, but I do worry slightly in how long will it take to find a new successful formula.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Can we not please hijack this deal

Sami-khedira

He is exactly what we need imo.

He's not really a DM though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Seems rossiter could be starting tomorrow and ojo is in contention too.

Realistically for us to play the way do, without it being suicide, we need the best defensive midfielder money can buy. It's one position that would instantly change everything else. Someone athletic who can tackle, but also intelligent enough to spot early danger and intercept passes, and who themselves can spray the ball around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Realistically for us to play the way do, without it being suicide, we need the best defensive midfielder money can buy. It's one position that would instantly change everything else. Someone athletic who can tackle, but also intelligent enough to spot early danger and intercept passes, and who themselves can spray the ball around.

Guess which manager has studiously avoided buying exactly that kind of player!

Guess which manager has studiously avoided buying exactly that kind of player!

It's funny - our perfect manager is actually probably a cross between Rafa and Rodgers. Rodga?

Rodgers attack with a Rafa defensive midfield and defence. Perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

So a unicorn basically? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Resign chewie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

It's funny - our perfect manager is actually probably a cross between Rafa and Rodgers. Rodga?

Someone's gonna photo-shop that, and I'm going to thank it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

garra wrote: »
    Someone's gonna photo-shop that, and I'm going to thank it.

I'd like Rafa's strong bald head with Rodgers mischievous grin peeping out, pls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

We shall name him Rodgeael Brenditez.

Rodger-Raffer our favourite gaffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Maybe, but I wouldn't be too quick to judge things based on someone elses translation. The interview wasn't given in English, so the language of the translation is completely open to interpretation.

So, anything spoken in a foreign language can't ever...**** it, why even bother.

ush wrote: »
    So, anything spoken in a foreign language can't ever...**** it, why even bother.

Ha, i'm not saying not to listen to translated interviews, i'm saying not to read too much into the nuanced language used in the translation.

The good agent coulsen was pointing out that he thought it was a dig against Rodgers that Agger said "very very competent", my point is that Agger didn't choose the word competent, the newspaper translator did.

In the context of: "I think he is an incredibly talented manager,” he said. “You can’t take that away from him. He’s good in the way he trains and he is clever in the way he sets the team up. He’s an extremely, extremely competent coach." I think it's reading a little too much into the word, as it doesn't quite tie in with the spirit of what Agger appeared to be saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Ha, i'm not saying not to listen to translated interviews, i'm saying not to read too much into the nuanced language used in the translation.

The good agent coulsen was pointing out that he thought it was a dig against Rodgers that Agger said "very very competent", my point is that Agger didn't choose the word competent, the newspaper translator did.

In the context of: "I think he is an incredibly talented manager,” he said. “You can’t take that away from him. He’s good in the way he trains and he is clever in the way he sets the team up. He’s an extremely, extremely competent coach." I think it's reading a little too much into the word, as it doesn't quite tie in with the spirit of what Agger appeared to be saying.

I didn't think their was anything too wrong with the interview, obviously something happened much more serious for Rodgers to sell him at a cut price that Agger nor Rodgers will say which is very professional of both.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I didn't think their was anything too wrong with the interview, obviously something happened much more serious for Rodgers to sell him at a cut price that Agger nor Rodgers will say which is very professional of both.

The deal isn't too bad really. In exchange for Agger, we got a little bit of money, and more importantly I believe we have first pick of any future talent coming through.

If we take at face value what Agger said about not feeling his body was capable of playing regularly at the highest level any more, then the options for letting him go were very limited anyway.

I agree by the way, what he said in the interview I think was quite fine. He obviously respects Rodgers, while also having his issues with him - something every out of favor player will have with their manager I imagine. Self belief is an integral part of being a professional athlete - if someone doesn't seem to hold that same opinion of you, naturally you'll be a bit miffed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Henderson is a doubt for tonight and the weekend with a hip problem!?

Ah, here..... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool face Uefa penalty for heavy financial losses
    Exclusive
    Liverpool could have almost £7 million of Champions League prize money withheld pending a Uefa inquiry into a possible breach of Financial Fair Play regulations. The payment, expected next month, may not be forthcoming if the club are referred to Uefa’s Club Financial Control Body (CFCB).
    Along with teams such as Monaco, Roma and Inter Milan, Liverpool’s absence from either the Champions League or the Europa League last season meant they were not asked to submit their accounts for 2011-12 and 2012-13 to Uefa’s monitoring body. Now, however, they are subject to last season’s FFP regulations.

No pay wall version

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/football/article4214782.ece

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Vicxas wrote: »

That's what you get when you run from the knees!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

dogbert27 wrote: »
    That's what you get when you run from the knees!! :pac:

Hes like Marvin the Martian.

But on a more serious note, if he and Coutinho are out. We are in serious trouble in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Hes like Marvin the Martian.

But on a more serious note, if he and Coutinho are out. We are in serious trouble in midfield.

Would Rossiter be the most likely reserve/youth player to make the step up in that area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Just on that Times piece by Marcotti - he's a horrible journalist who makes the Times podcast unlistenable.

The piece says that Pool may not actually be in breach of FFP, if the spend was on infrastructure and/or youth team and/or other "virtuous" actions.

anyone know enough about the finances to say what the spend was on.

Do Luis Suarez T-Shirts count as "virtuous" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

8-10 wrote: »
    Would Rossiter be the most likely reserve/youth player to make the step up in that area?

Definately, he's the one most capable of slotting in as one of the playmakers. We have a number of guys who can play in the the more attacking CM roles, but only Rossiter really as the DCM.

My team for tonight -

Jones
    Manquillo-Toure-Jones-Enrique
    Rossiter

Lucas
    Lallana

Markovic
    ----Sinclair
    Lambert----

Sinclair is the most consistant striker we have in the youth teams. Yesil and/or Canos could make the bench, but I think Sinclair is the form striker. Actually, Canos has been at the heart of a handful of goals alreayd, showing very unselfish play.
    Would also like to see Kent, Brannagan and Ojo on the bench, but I suspect we'll see some experience there in case we are in trouble (Skrtel, Gerrard, Balo)...

Just on that Times piece by Marcotti - he's a horrible journalist who makes the Times podcast unlistenable.

The piece says that Pool may not actually be in breach of FFP, if the spend was on infrastructure and/or youth team and/or other "virtuous" actions.

I doubt it!

There have been a lot of infrastructure costs relating to the stadium, and costs relating to removing some old debt I think. I am sure we would have been watching the numbers very closely, I doubt we'd fall into that trap...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

IIRC about 50m of them were related to the hicks and Gillette failed stadium thing. If so we'll be ok, but I'm not sure if I remember that correctly or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

5starpool wrote: »
    IIRC about 50m of them were related to the hicks and Gillette failed stadium thing. If so we'll be ok, but I'm not sure if I remember that correctly or not.

shirley that was more than 2 years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Is Suso still around? Might be a good opportunity for him to get a run out considering Coutinho is injured.

brevity wrote: »
    Is Suso still around? Might be a good opportunity for him to get a run out considering Coutinho is injured.

I actually forgot all about him, that's a bad sign.

I think I'd still start with Markovic and Sinclair, some pure pace to balance out Lambert's presence. And we need to give kids a chance in the Cup...

shirley that was more than 2 years ago?

As I said I may be mistaken but I think it was in the accounts 2 sets of accounts ago.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    As I said I may be mistaken but I think it was in the accounts 2 sets of accounts ago.

hF124A477

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Dickerty wrote: »
    Definately, he's the one most capable of slotting in as one of the playmakers. We have a number of guys who can play in the the more attacking CM roles, but only Rossiter really as the DCM.

My team for tonight -

Jones
    Manquillo-Toure-Jones-Enrique
    Rossiter

Lucas
    Lallana

Markovic
    ----Sinclair
    Lambert----

Sinclair is the most consistant striker we have in the youth teams. Yesil and/or Canos could make the bench, but I think Sinclair is the form striker. Actually, Canos has been at the heart of a handful of goals alreayd, showing very unselfish play.
    Would also like to see Kent, Brannagan and Ojo on the bench, but I suspect we'll see some experience there in case we are in trouble (Skrtel, Gerrard, Balo)...
    Sinclair will not start instead of Borini & either will Jones. Sinclair scored some goals recently but his general play is poor. If any youngster will get a game apart from Rossiter it will be Ojo who is rumoured to have made the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think our team tonight will be something like

_____________Mignolet____________
    Manquillo___Toure___Sakho___Enrique
    ____________Rossiter_____________
    ________Lucas______Lallana_______
    Markovic__________________Borini
    ____________Lambert___________

Rodgers said he felt the diamond didnt work because he didn't have the right players available. So I think it will be a 4-3-3.

Its merely what most of us are able to acknowledge but its never a good thing when the manager has to come out in defence of his captains performances at a presser

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/23/brendan-rodgers-defends-liverpool-captain-steven-gerrard
    No concerns whatsoever, no. He is a brilliant player for us, really talented.

“It was a team performance overall that just wasn’t quite up to scratch.”

He added: “I feel we have managed his recovery really well in the last two seasons.

“Even when Steven was playing international football, I think if you look at his numbers and games and minutes he has played, you’ll see in the last couple of seasons that it is as good as it has been in his career.

“He is obviously at the age where we will look at him individually as a player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Look at the bright side. At least its not his knee.....

I'd go:

Jones

----Manquillo--Lovren--Kolo--Enrique-

Lucas
    Rossiter

Lallana

----Borini
    Lambert
    Lazar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Liverpool face Uefa penalty for heavy financial losses

No pay wall version

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/football/article4214782.ece

I was reading about that night.... my understanding is that any clubs who werent in Europe last season get audited as the rest of them were/are and anyone who is non-compliant may have money withheld. I dont think its suggesting we will not be in compliance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

8-10 wrote: »
    I'd go:

Jones

----Manquillo--Lovren--Kolo--Enrique-

Lucas
    Rossiter

Lallana

----Borini
    Lambert
    Lazar
    I would swap Lovren and Toure so both would play their favoured side for better balance.

While i would like to see Rossiter at some stage this season, is it not a little soon to see a 16yo playing a pivotal position against men looking for a premier league scalp? Maybe a 10-15 minute cameo when 2 up or such?

gafferino wrote: »
    I was reading about that last night.... my understanding is that any clubs who werent in Europe last season get audited as the rest of them were/are and anyone who is non-compliant may have money withheld. I dont think its saying we will not be in compliance - seems more like speculation imo.

ByMmAPxCcAA9p9Y.png

I'd nearly forget diamond midfields 433's and go back to a straight 442 for the game tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Squirtle and Lovren have to start tonight and get an understanding going together IMO.

That article is a whole lotta nutin'

Caughtoffside :rolleyes::p Have a story taken from the Star that we are going rival City's bid for Ross Barkley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Are we on tv tonight ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Are we on tv tonight ?

Aye, ss1 at 7.45. Will miss the first half myself.

Old boy Danny Ayala will most likely play against us tonight.

5live wrote: »
    I would swap Lovren and Toure so both would play their favoured side for better balance.

While i would like to see Rossiter at some stage this season, is it not a little soon to see a 16yo playing a pivotal position against men looking for a premier league scalp? Maybe a 10-15 minute cameo when 2 up or such?

Yep I was reading left-to-right so mixed up CB sides.

Rossiter turns 18 during this season, I'd give him a go and have Gerrard on the bench for a possible half-time switch. No reason not to give him a shot.

Gerrard shouldn't be on the bench even, although we are short there with Henderson and Coutinho out as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

gafferino wrote: »
    Old boy Danny Ayala will most likely play against us tonight.
    Probably get a hattrick n'all!

• Advertisement

D'Agger wrote: »
    Probably get a hattrick n'all!

Its inevitable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement