Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭doc_17

So Sakho will hardly start again for us in an important match? He has been a dreadful signing. Agger's comments were interesting today. If take Agger over Sakho. I know Agger had injury problems but Sakho has ability problems. He is absolutely awful and two basic errors over the past two weeks have this very clear. Time to ship him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

5starpool wrote: »
    Gerrard shouldn't be on the bench even, although we are short there with Henderson and Coutinho out as well.

Henderson, Coutinho, Can, Allen all out, who would you have on the bench then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

8-10 wrote: »
    Henderson, Coutinho, Can, Allen all out, who would you have on the bench then?

I think thats what he is saying. He will probably be on the bench due to those injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

doc_17 wrote: »
    So Sakho will hardly start again for us in an important match? He has been a dreadful signing. Agger's comments were interesting today. If take Agger over Sakho. I know Agger had injury problems but Sakho has ability problems. He is absolutely awful and two basic errors over the past two weeks have this very clear. Time to ship him out.

Christ Almighty.

Put him in a system where the CBs are somewhat protected, and where you have a GK who communicates, and you'll have a good player.

it's no coincidence that himself, Lovren and Skrtel have all looked so ordinary this season. they're not all simply bad players.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Woah.... there is no way Sakho should be shipped out yet. Last season he had numerous playing partners to get used to. Same again at the start of this season. Squirtle had many howlers last season and didnt get shipped out and he will repay the managers faith just like Sakho will as he is still young.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

:eek: Baresi and Maldini would struggle in this system with the defence as exposed as it is week in week out, Lovren Skrtel and Sakho all getting the dogs abuse while its obvious the real problem is Stevie just doesnt have the legs or discipline for the DM position. Tis awful to watch a club legend possibly wind down his career in such fashion in a position he was never suited to his peak let alone in the twilight years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I'd agree that Sakho has a very difficult job considering adjusting to new players and the lack of protection from midfield.

But he just doesn't look like a footballer when he has the ball, He takes way to long to make the pass and then more often than not the player receiving the ball is under pressure he also seems to strike his passes with allot of pace making them hard to control. If he could sort this out then he could be a very good defender.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'd agree that Sakho has a very difficult job considering adjusting to new players and the lack of protection from midfield.

But he just doesn't look like a footballer when he has the ball, He takes way to long to make the pass and then more often than not the player receiving the ball is under pressure he also seems to strike his passes with allot of pace making them hard to control. If he could sort this out then he could be a very good defender.

I'm the opposite in my thinking of Sakho. His defending needs more concentration.
    His passing is accurate, and the pace on the ball allows the likes of Coutinho/Lallllllana/Sterling/Allen. to use the pace on the ball to turn quick with it or lay off a pass quickly

The Echo doing a little bio on Rossiter. Very excited to see him play tonight if the rumours are true.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jordan-rossiter-you-need-know-7815622?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Can you hear that noise? Must be the sound of Nuri screaming in his grave

On a serious note people need to lay off Sakho. Lovren has been more prone to errors so far and Skrtel is the king of own goals.

People love a scapegoat but the defense as a whole needs sorting out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

And yet Sakho looks every bit the defender we need when he's playing for France. This finger pointing has to stop we've done this with Lucas, Henderson, Flanagan and countless others and more often than not we end up with egg on our faces. It's clear all is not what it should be in the defence but we are not functioning as a team and the system is leaving us exposed and overrun in midfield which in turn is putting avoidable pressure on the defence. Im loath to say this but someone like Wanyama at Southampton or someone of his ilk would be the ideal man to offer that protection in front of the defence. Gerrard, as good as he is, is simply not able to do this through no fault of his own.

The anfield planning decision meeting is this morning.

Real time updates here:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/live-anfield-stadium-planning-decision-7815443

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'm the opposite in my thinking of Sakho. His defending needs more concentration.
    His passing is accurate, and the pace on the ball allows the likes of Coutinho/Lallllllana/Sterling/Allen. to use the pace on the ball to turn quick with it or lay off a pass quickly

I can't agree, lost count of the times I've seen him pass to a player under pressure when a simpler shorter pass was the better option, fizz the ball at a player giving him little chance of controlling it or dally over the ball slowing down our play. Of course they would still be perceived as completed passes in the stats tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Gary Medel would have been a decent option too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

sweetie wrote: »

Yep mentioned him a couple of times myself - could have had him for 8/10 million tops.

Its Anfield expansion decision day, you can follow the deliberations live here

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/live-anfield-stadium-planning-decision-7815443

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

If the Anfield groundsman made a bit of a hill or uneven surface in the area where a DM usually covers it'd probably slow down opposition attack better than our own player/s with this system. It'd be a while before opposition eventually cop on to it so worth a go in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

You can blame the defensive system all you want but Sakho has had a poor start to the season both individually and within the collective.
    It seems he is always likely to produce at least one or more unforced errors in a game. Two, against Villa and West Ham, have directly resulted in the opposition scoring.
    People defend him on here as he's a fan favourite for some reason. He was average last year as well when he stepped in for the injured Agger. I Think we went on a run of not keeping a clean sheet for 2-3 months when he was in the team.
    Being the size of a man that he is I've yet to see him physically impose himself at defending or attacking set pieces.He has shown he can play some nice balls into the feet of our attacking players but these are few and far between - more often than not its a 5 yarder to gerrard.
    I wouldnt be shipping him out as he's only been at the club a year!! but he badly needs to step up his game and improve his decision making.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

sweetie wrote: »
    Yann M'Vila is also one that I would like to see as an enforcer.
    Anyone watch him for Inter this season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They are already on to it

article-1266834-092D7FE5000005DC-8_468x285.jpg

or maybe

_74505878_20140429_084208_1.jpg

DVDM93 wrote: »
    If the Anfield groundsman made a bit of a hill or uneven surface in the area where a DM usually covers it'd probably slow down opposition attack better than our own player/s with this system. It'd be a while before opposition eventually cop on to it so worth a go in my opinion.

Only problem being it would be playing against us 50% of the time.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Yann M'Vila is also one that I would like to see as an enforcer.
    Anyone watch him for Inter this season?

Wasnt he spotted in the crowd at Anfield last season? Wonder what was the story there.

gafferino wrote: »
    Wasnt he spotted in the crowd at Anfield last season? Wonder what was the story there.

Apparently it was to watch his mate Sakho play. If it was anything club related, he would have been in a directors box rather than in the crowd.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    People defend him on here as he's a fan favourite for some reason.

He broke some gym equipment or set a new record with some leg machine thingy in his first week at Melwood. A lot of people loved that :D there were the Cissokho lookalike jokes in there too. He had the honeymoon period of being a new player too, a few starting to question him now. He's been here a year. It was always easier to blame Skrtel/Agger too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

What about Gokhan Inler... swap him with Lucas at Christmas...surely Rafa would help us out??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

You missed have missed Sakho not giving Costa a kick against Spain. He hasn't produced his best for us but he is a very talented defender. The only thing is he likes to take risks.

You could put the best CB's in the world into our team and they'd probably still look poor as the whole defensive system is a mess.

It was last season too and looks as bad as ever.

Take away goals from SS and you are left with the shambles we are seeing now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    What about Gokhan Inler... swap him with Lucas at Christmas...surely Rafa would help us out??

Rafa may not be at Napoli by Christmas.

• Advertisement

I'd sooner change the system to suit the French playing Sakho than change the French playing Sakho to suit this mess of a system going on at the moment. This system is making Sakho and Lovren out to be Harry and Lloyd which they have proved they're far from that in France and Southampton jerseys respectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

On a lighter note of whether Sahko is crap or not, insert caption here :D

Mata looks like he's ready to kill LVG!

1411419056506_wps_49_Louis_van_Gaal_the_head_c.jpg

"You apparently cost £37 million. How did you swing that?"

dogbert27 wrote: »

What do you want from the Golden Grill?

Hmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭doc_17

I agree that the system is putting out defence under pressure. However the type of mistakes that Sakho is making are errors of judgement and being unable to execute basic enough skills.

But I will defer to some of the other posters when they say he is excellent for France. I haven't watched a game involving France since that infamous night. So hopefully when we see the system sorted we'll see the best of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

"If you don't stop complaining, we'll sell you to Liverpool!"
    "Don't even joke about things like that, Boss"

Are we coming on yet?... no
    Are we coming on yet?... No
    Are we coming on yet?... NO!

• Advertisement

If you post it they will come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Council has granted permission for phase 1 and 2 of expansion. So thats good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Planning permission approved:

Finally, finally, this will hopefully be the start of the stadium expansion, after all the false starts...

J.

"It doesn't Mata who you are, what Matas in Van Gaal".

Mata to Valencia - "Doesn't his head look like roast potato?"

Van Gaal - "Do you want a box in the face?"

Giggs - "I think I need a souvenir from this game, will I grab that corner flag?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Good news.

I hope the area benefits from this. The clubs record on this hasn't been what you'd call whiter than white.

Even from a selfish point of view, it reflects badly on the club for away fans to have to walk through such a run-down area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I really think The Ridgers needs to tell the two full backs to cool their jets on getting forward so much, and for the midfield to drop back a bit too, offer some defensive cover. Watching the game at the weekend, we seemed to be playing a 1-3-0-7 formation with the ball, leaving us ridiculously exposed at the back, and nobody in midfield to pick up the ball from the cb's or gerard.

I agree that the system is putting out defence under pressure. However the type of mistakes that Sakho is making are errors of judgement and being unable to execute basic enough skills.

We were much more solid on Saturday when Sakho came on imo. He should be starting every game from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

I really think The Ridgers needs to tell the two full backs to cool their jets on getting forward so much, and for the midfield to drop back a bit too, offer some defensive cover. Watching the game at the weekend, we seemed to be playing a 1-3-0-7 formation with the ball, leaving us ridiculously exposed at the back, and nobody in midfield to pick up the ball from the cb's or gerard.
    Agreed, we seem to be playing a counter attack formation even when we have had possession of the ball for the last 5 minutes

I would have loved to have a camera on that cats head the night we played Spurs at Anfield. How the fcuk did it manage to find its way in to the stadium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

We were much more solid on Saturday when Sakho came on imo. He should be starting every game from now on.

Change in formation rather than anything he did, if we are struggling so badly from set pieces it is probably no harm to have 3 cbs on to help.

I'd definetly bench Mig. Not sure what the use in ending him out to face Boro is. If I were them I'd be raining crosses in from every angle, almost playing for corners. Not sure what he can get out of this. He needs a rest, Gerrard needs a night off to. Badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Strongest team tonight please, we really need games under our belt for the new players to gel, a few convincing wins against lesser opposition and we could get a bit of momentum going,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

But I will defer to some of the other posters when they say he is excellent for France. I haven't watched a game involving France since that infamous night. So hopefully when we see the system sorted we'll see the best of him.

I think the difference is the proximity of players around him. When he has cover on both sides, and in front, he can charge into tackles and be sure that someone has his back. When our FBs push up so high, and he's 20+ yards from his fellow CB when we are in possession, he's very exposed. That doesn't suit his game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I am pie wrote: »
    Change in formation rather than anything he did, if we are struggling so badly from set pieces it is probably no harm to have 3 cbs on to help.

I'd definetly bench Mig. Not sure what the use in ending him out to face Boro is. If I were them I'd be raining crosses in from every angle, almost playing for corners. Not sure what he can get out of this. He needs a rest, Gerrard needs a night off to. Badly.

Migs doesnt need a rest, he needs a kick up the arse and told to play better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

rob316 wrote: »
    Strongest team tonight please, we really need games under our belt for the new players to gel, a few convincing wins against lesser opposition and we could get a bit of momentum going,

They should gel in training!! No excuse to need 90 minutes in a cup game like this. I'd rather we used it to give minutes to Enrique, Lallana, Markovic & Lambert, and give the experience of a start to Rossiter, Lloyd Jones and 1/2 others. That is how we brough Sterling, Ibe and Wisdom on - first team starts.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement