Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I presume the Albert will be unaffected by the main stand redevelopment?

Edit: Nevermind, found it on the Q&A

• Will the Albert Pub be retained?

The Main Stand expansion works with the Albert Pub remaining in situ and this is reflected in our plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

rob316 wrote: »
    Strongest team tonight please, we really need games under our belt for the new players to gel, a few convincing wins against lesser opposition and we could get a bit of momentum going,

With so many players injured or in need of a rest, and with the LC being utterly worthless, we really shouldn't.

We'll have plenty of games to get the team right but our most important concern is the derby on Saturday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Gbear wrote: »
    With so many players injured or in need of a rest, and with the LC being utterly worthless, we really shouldn't.

We'll have plenty of games to get the team right but our most important concern is the derby on Saturday.

The Leaving Cert isn't completely worthless, while it isn't the be all and end all it most certainly isn't worthless. I shouldn't need to go in to detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

DVDM93 wrote: »
    The Leaving Cert isn't completely worthless, while it isn't the be all and end all it most certainly isn't worthless. I shouldn't need to go in to detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

League Cup isn't pointless btw, I'd love us to win something this season. The best teams do well in all competitions and this is what we are aspiring to. A win tonight is just what we need. We also have some returning first teamers that clearly need competitive minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Agreed. Its the least important of the 4 but I want us to win all our matches and would be delighted to win the LC.

Neither am I to be honest, I regretted posting it immediately like a lot of my other posts. However I've decided to play the role of the fool and ease the tension in here a little bit, we're in a bit of a crisis at the moment and we all need a break from that, at my expense.

Random match facts.

Goalkeeper Brad Jones made 76 appearances for Middlesbrough in seven seasons at the Riverside, including three in the League Cup.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/171172-match-stats-borini-s-league-cup-pedigree

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Neither am I to be honest, I regretted posting it immediately like a lot of my other posts. However I've decided to play the role of the fool and ease the tension in here a little bit, we're in a bit of a crisis at the moment and we all need a break from that, at my expense.

Jesse_-_Be_a_Hero.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I just think a good 4/5 nil win (don't worry I wouldn't hold my breath) would do wonders for confidence, as we will look very flat at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

rob316 wrote: »
    I just think a good 4/5 nil win (don't worry I wouldn't hold my breath) would do wonders for confidence, as we will look very flat at the moment.

Lambert to break his duck.
    Lallana to show his form of last season, with most attacks coming through him.
    Borini to get one and go full retard on his 'knife in mouth' celebration...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Ha, i'm not saying not to listen to translated interviews, i'm saying not to read too much into the nuanced language used in the translation.

I can read Danish. You're talking through your hole.

gafferino wrote: »
    Jesse_-_Be_a_Hero.gif

Ah :) #17 :) There was once a young lad who took that number on his Liverpool shirt and went on to become a man, a club captain, at #8

SG x

"I tried to sign him last season, but it was difficult for me. He was playing at Atletico Madrid, and I know him well because I managed him with Spain Under-16s. I tried to convince him to come here, but it was not possible," the Boro boss told the Northern Echo.

"I think he's an ideal player for the Premier League. He's very strong and very good with his feet. He is young and has everything to enjoy success here in England. He will be a very good player in the future."

Karanka's Boro will take on Liverpool in the League Cup this evening.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/liverpool/league-cup/news/karanka-manquillo-will-bounce-back_178444.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

So... Been away since Thursday. Did I miss much?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Dickerty wrote: »
    Lambert to break his duck.
    Lallana to show his form of last season, with most attacks coming through him.
    Borini to get one and go full retard on his 'knife in mouth' celebration...

broken-rubber-duck.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Knex. wrote: »
    So... Been away since Thursday. Did I miss much?

:pac:

Here's the summation.
    Sahko cant defend
    Mig is a liability
    Full backs bomb forward too much
    Stevie G cant play DM, should be dropped/phased out
    No communication or leadership
    System is wrong
    Leicester are good

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Here's the summation.
    Sahko cant defend
    Mig is a liability
    Full backs bomb forward too much
    Stevie G cant play DM, should be dropped/phased out
    No communication or leadership
    System is wrong
    Leicester are good

Ah here Lucas isn't getting away with it that easily!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A question for all the Statto's out there do any of you know how many goals Liverpool have conceded since Gerrard moved to DM I can't seem to find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A question for all the Statto's out there do any of you know how many goals Liverpool have conceded since Gerrard moved to DM I can't seem to find it.

Any numbers would be worthless as so many other things have changed.

• Advertisement

Any numbers would be worthless as so many other things have changed.

I'm just curious really nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Just look at our results including and after the Aston villa home game last season which was the first game Gerard played there and has since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

klose wrote: »
    Just look at our results including and after the Aston villa home game last season which was the first game Gerard played there and has since.

I make it 24 conceded in 16 games from and including villa.

26 conceded prior to the Villa game

klose wrote: »

I got since then 22 league games 30 goals conceded.

In the 21 previous league games we conceded 26.

Not entirely sure on this, but I do believe its a billion.

League Cup isn't pointless btw, I'd love us to win something this season. The best teams do well in all competitions and this is what we are aspiring to. A win tonight is just what we need. We also have some returning first teamers that clearly need competitive minutes.

Have to agree with the League Cup not being pointless. Winning it can really push you on another gear.

Look at Arsenal last year, they won it and they might now go on and even finish third this season.

(this is a joke)

I got since then 22 league games 30 goals conceded.

In the 21 previous league games we conceded 26.

You were close enough :pac:

Paul Merson reckons it was a "gillion" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭burrenguy

I'd be interested to see what people think of this. I've a friend who supports liverpool who recently said that Sterling would start for any national team in the world bar Germany. I myself think he wouldn't start either for France (Ribery, Griezmann) Argentina (Lavezzi, Di Maria) and Brazil (Neymar, Lucas Moura), with cases to make for Columbia, Spain and lastly Portugal (if Nani finds some consistent form). What do you think?

burrenguy wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see what people think of this. I've a friend who supports liverpool who recently said that Sterling would start for any national team in the world bar Germany. I myself think he wouldn't start either for France (Ribery, Griezmann) Argentina (Lavezzi, Di Maria) and Brazil (Neymar, Lucas Moura), with cases to make for Columbia, Spain and lastly Portugal (if Nani finds some consistent form). What do you think?

I think your friend is a bit mad Ted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭burrenguy

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I think your friend is a bit mad Ted!

haha ya I bit I'd say... may have been exaggeration to get a point across. I rate Sterling as an excellent player but not to his extent.

A gillion is a billion.

Never knew that.

Who says the SF isn't educational

haha ya I bit I'd say... may have been exaggeration to get a point across. I rate Sterling as an excellent player but not to his extent.

He's a great prospect but has a long way to go before he can be called a great player(needs to be read in Johnny Giles voice obviously)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

He's better than lavezzi and Lucas imo. Hard question to answer as I think he plays his best football in the number 10 role.

I do think, though, that if he were playing for another club outside of Europe, a lot of us would have him pegged as one of the best youngsters in the world. I believe he's that good.

I can see him, if he keeps his head right and works as hard as possible, as being scarily good in 4-5 years.

Team for tonight, Lambert captain.

Mignolet
    Manquilo Toure Sakho Enrique
    Rossitier Lucas
    Markovic Lallana
    Sterling
    Lambert (c)

Chuffed for Lambert tbh.

Really hope he scores

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Chuffed for Lambert tbh.

Really hope he scores

Likewise. Delighted for Rossitier too, half Gerrards age when I think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

The decision to rest sterling against villa is even more baffling now. Unless he had an injury we never knew about, which seems unlikely since he came on for thirty mins anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lets hope the shirts don't weight them down eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Would have left Sterling on the bench tonight to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

It is a pity Emre Can is not fit for this game. Would have liked to see Suso start tonight The last 2 weeks have been tough results wise. Hopefully we can get a win tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ush wrote: »
    I can read Danish. You're talking through your hole.

Quite an unnecessarily rude way of replying.

Do you really think it's not a valid point that in general it's a good idea not to look too much into the language used in a translated interview, and instead look at the spirit of the message?

Obviously you're in a superior position to most on this one instance, as you aren't dealing with a gap in knowledge - you know the language. I will always err on the side of caution if I can't hear/understand the words coming directly from the person. As soon as it's going through a 3rd party, there's the potential for bias or misinterpretation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

MR NINE wrote: »
    The decision to rest sterling against villa is even more baffling now. Unless he had an injury we never knew about, which seems unlikely since he came on for thirty mins anyway

Agreed. Not as if he needs a start to find form. Strange one. Great chance to give Suso a run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Lambert captain ahead of Lucas and Mignolet, wouldn't agree with that at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Lambert captain ahead of Lucas and Mignolet, wouldn't agree with that at all

Mignolet??? Captain? One of the least vocal keepers we've had in years - no way should he be near the captaincy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

As has been said, can't make any sense of Sterling starting tonight but not against Villa.

Anyway, hopefully it'll only be for 45-60 mins.

tok9 wrote: »
    As has been said, can't make any sense of Sterling starting tonight but not against Villa.

Anyway, hopefully it'll only be for 45-60 mins.

Particularly with the derby this weekend, and a much tougher champions league game during the week.

Odd one alright. Even with the other injuries, we could have gone for a 4-4-2 diamond with Borini partnering Lambert, Markovic behind them, and a deeper midfield 3 of Lucas, Lallana and Rossiter. Should have enough experience to get through with that, and Borini could do with the gametime, and ideally getting a goal.

I'd also have rathered see Lucas as captain tonight I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Only a few days ago Brendao was waffling at length about protecting Sterling's future and not messing him up with too many games, so that he could play beyond 28 unlike Owen, waffle waffle.

Sterling starts in 1st round of League Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

garra wrote: »
    Only a few days ago Brendao was waffling at length about protecting Sterling's future and not messing him up with too many games, so that he could play beyond 28 unlike Owen, waffle waffle.

you're wrong

garra wrote: »

Hopefully we'll be ahead early enough that he can come off early in the second half. Definitely hope more than expectation though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement