Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Marckovic reminded me of modric last ngt..his playing style..hopefully be just as good..its very hard for the midfielders to be effective when there are no darting runs made by the forwards for them to use their talents to pass to them..

Prob why cout has looked bad tbh..nobody to pass to regulary..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Didn't see the game tonight but from what I've seen so far lallana looks rusty, Ibe was immense in post season and pre season and I think he deserves a shot.

Well he was excellent last night (I think he got MOTM?). I dont think he has done himself any discredit in the other games he played either. Remember this is a player who had virtually no pre-season so it is no surprise he could be a bit rusty. A couple of weeks and he should be up to speed hopefully.

Imagine if this fella goes on to be half as good as the other lad. Fair play to him he did well last night.

0707__7212__jord8_513X307.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/171258-br-tonight-was-about-our-young-stars

"Tonight was a good night for our young players," Rodgers told reporters during his post-match press conference. "Young Jordan Rossiter could walk to Anfield; he just lives round the corner. I was delighted for him. He got the opportunity and showed wonderful composure to get his finish.

"I was also impressed with young Jordan Williams, he came on and showed really good stature and composure in the game. He is a wonderful footballer and a young player that is developing well.

A mention for young Suso," insisted Rodgers. "He hasn't had a lot of game time but he has kept working every day and I thought when he came on he was really bright for us and took his goal really well."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/171243-rodgers-we-are-showing-our-fight

"I was obviously pleased to get through and that experience, even though it was a long night for everyone, was great for our young players. It's good to win, no matter how you win.

"We played OK in the game; we didn't create a great deal, to be honest, but we showed good perseverance to keep going. Like the way it is at the moment, we made too many mistakes and we got punished for that in the game.

"We're making mistakes at the moment - too many mistakes. The first goal I was disappointed with, and even more so the second goal.

"Tonight is good for our spirit and camaraderie in the group, to win like that. Now we have a bit of time to prepare and get ready for a massive game at the weekend."

"Adam is still probably in his pre-season phase because he hasn't played over the course of pre-season due to injury," the boss added. "So for him to get the game time was really good.

"I was really impressed with Jose Enrique, because I watched Albert Adomah [his opposite number] in the Championship when I was with Swansea City and I know how good a player he is and how fast he is. There's not many fitter than Albert. Jose came in and played the whole game against him. I thought he was outstanding."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

You'd swear 'Young' was their first names :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Based on current form, Suso is probably a better option than Markovic at minute.

Give him a new deal Brendao!
    Super-Rush wrote: »

Sterling, 19, is currently on £30,000-a-week, his deal expires in 2017 and Liverpool were expected to reward his progress with a new deal.

The Mirror reported in April that Sterling was in line for a new deal after his impressive form for the Reds which helped forced his way into England’s World Cup set-up. He is currently one of the smaller earners in the Liverpool set-up and his contract is dwarfed by almost all of his England team mates.

But boss Brendan Rodgers last month insisted Sterling must wait for a new deal - and that has encouraged Real Madrid.

Rodgers said last month: “When you reward young players too quickly – Raheem’s still only 19 – you give them too much too early and that will be their downfall. It’s a big problem because they lose their hunger.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Bloody hell. My laptop died on the 119th minute so I thought to myself grand, off to play some Destiny.

It was only at about 12 or so when I found out the match had gone to penalties :P

I'm some sap.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

A few comments from last night....and I missed the first half.

Williams - looks solid, the thing that impressed me the most is how he strikes the ball, effortless and accurate.

Suso - Glad he came on and made a difference. I still rate him, but there is something that is not right behind the scenes with him which is keeping him away.

Markovic - He looks like he could be really exciting. Gets his head down and runs, his off the ball runs are real good as well. Once he gets more game time under his belt I think he'll be a quality addition, i'm willing to give him time.

Mignolet - One thing that sruck me, he was shouting the whole match and audible over the crowd at times.

Toure - why u barge into man in box?

Dry Cleaners - They will be getting a couple of pairs of my pants to get stains out of after that ending and shootout.

Ball retention and decision making mainly. He was a very tidy player before he left us, became a headless chicken when he came back.

I think Suso was very good when he came on for us. Was creative, looked to get on the ball, looked composed, worked hard, nabbed a goal and scored 2 penalties. I go back to what I said to you the other day - in the paltry minutes he has played with us including pre-season he has looked good.

I would rather he stay with us and see what happens then go to Milan. He has something to offer for sure. Himself and Sterling seemed to have a good connection and seemed to be looking for eachother as soon as one of them got the ball.

• Advertisement

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jordan-rossiter-dream-start-liverpool-7822002

“It was brilliant. I’m made up,” a jubilant Rossiter told the ECHO.

“To score on my debut, I couldn’t have asked for any more. It’s a dream come true to be honest.

“I got told by the manager at training on Monday that I’d be starting. I was a bit shocked but I couldn’t wait to get out here.

“I was a bit nervous but playing with some of the best players in the world helped.

“I was speaking to a few of the senior players before kick-off who just told me to enjoy it. It was a great opportunity for me and they helped me through.”

---

“We did have a bit of practise in training on Monday. That paid off with the way the boys put the penalties away.

“I thought Jordan Williams was brilliant when he came on. He’s had a tough couple of years with injuries but I was made up to see him out there on the pitch.

“The gaffer is willing to give youngsters an opportunity. He showed that again tonight by giving debuts to both Jordan and myself.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just thought this needed to be posted again! :D

ByPE2cLCQAAkcfi.png

Gerrard could only dream of being as good as Rossiter is at his age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

ByPE2cLCQAAkcfi.png

Gerrard could only dream of being as good as Rossiter is at his age.

Hopefully he can go on to be at least a quarter of the player Gerrard is.

Suso absolutely deserves his chance on the bench at least.

Did well last season, had a decent pre season and then barely gets a kick since the season began.

Right now he is a better option to have on the bench instead of Markovic imo.

Just so we're clear I'm not writing off Markovic but I really think Suso is getting a raw deal here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Hopefully he can go on to be at least a quarter of the player Gerrard is.

Need to get some growth hormones into him though, as a CM he could do with being a few inches taller. I know that small CMs do make it occasionaly (Masc?), but even in covering the ground, it would make his life easier.

Best truly homegrown player since Stevie, no doubt...

And a bonus, which suggests to be that he's a humble lad (good parenting) - he wears black boots.
    In an era of white and yellow and red, they actually stand out the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Mignolet - One thing that sruck me, he was shouting the whole match and audible over the crowd at times.

He's been doing that since the Southampton game. All he ever shouts is "Away, away!!!" :)

Rossiter was great for the most part, what struck me was how fast he is to move the ball on, this season possession has been ponderous to say the least but with him (and the U21s generally) first touch is control and second touch is the pass. I reckon if the kids had been sent out last night they'd have won that game in 90 through sheer speed of thought and action.

Rossiter was great for the most part, what struck me was how fast he is to move the ball on, this season possession has been ponderous to say the least but with him (and the U21s generally) first touch is control and second touch is the pass. I reckon if the kids had been sent out last night they'd have won that game in 90 through sheer speed of thought and action.

Really? I thought he did very well for a 17 year old debutant. He was tidy and composed - nothing more nothing less imo - and thats probably the best I would have expected from him. Delighted for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

gafferino wrote: »
    Really? I thought he did very well for a 17 year old debutant. He was tidy and composed - nothing more nothing less imo - and thats probably the best I would have expected from him. Delighted for him.

This,

For a first team debutant he was very composed and didnt shy away from the ball.

• Advertisement

I think we saw the issue again as Harry just said. We are way too slow.

Having Lucas and Rossiter playing is the same as Lucas and Gerrard really.

Maybe I'm a bit naive and the game would have been too open but I would have preferred to see something like Lallana in Lucas position. It may have been too open but that alone would have made us a lot quicker on the ball for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

ByPE2cLCQAAkcfi.png

Still looks that size next to Enrique!

ByR5V-8IcAA-zTf.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

gafferino wrote: »
    What's with 'really?' - think you've misread his post tbh

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

tok9 wrote: »
    I think we saw the issue again as Harry just said. We are way too slow.

Having Lucas and Rossiter playing is the same as Lucas and Gerrard really.

Maybe I'm a bit naive and the game would have been too open but I would have preferred to see something like Lallana in Lucas position. It may have been too open but that alone would have made us a lot quicker on the ball for me.

What I've notice over the past few games. We take 2 passes to get the ball where we want it to be. Last year we were doing this in 1 pass.
    We kind of got into that rhythm in the second half of ET.

Once we get that sorted out and the new players adapt, we will get back to where we were last year, maybe even better.

D'Agger wrote: »
    What's with 'really?' - think you've misread his post tbh

Yeah probably wasnt clear in my reply.... Harry was saying he was great. I didnt think so but I wouldnt expect a 17 year old making his debut to be great. As I said.... Tidy and composed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

People complimenting Markovic - all I saw him do was play the simple pass every time. When he did try run with it he was pushed off the ball really easily. I'm not criticising him as it will take him time to settle, just puzzled by how people can see different things when watching a game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    What I've notice over the past few games. We take 2 passes to get the ball where we want it to be. Last year we were doing this in 1 pass.
    We kind of got into that rhythm in the second half of ET.

Once we get that sorted out and the new players adapt, we will get back to where we were last year, maybe even better.
    Our playing speed is pedestrian this season.

I think there is nobody showing for the ball or running into space looking for a pass ala Sturridge and Suarez last season. So the player on the ball checks back and passes it back or sideways and still no one seems to be looking for the ball. And it starts all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Match highlights and pens :)

The shoot out almost becomes hypnotic, esp the way the crowd sounds - yay boo, yay boo, yay boo, etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

From the first time I seen him that was what impressed me. He is one of those players who always seems to have time on the ball. Like xabi Alonso. He has a long way to go but he could be the perfect player to play the position Gerrard occupies now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭benny79

I taught lambert was shocking and really killed the pace of play when we were attacking don't know what BR seem in him don't even think hes good cover. Just because he follows liverpool is no excuse!

• Advertisement

benny79 wrote: »
    I taught lambert was shocking and really killed the pace of play when we were attacking don't know what BR seem in him don't even think hes good cover. Just because he follows liverpool is no excuse!

I though he was poor last night too but has looked ok in some of the games when he came on. He is capable of playing better than he did last night thats for sure, so I hope he still gets game time in the cups and as an impact sub at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Match highlights and pens :)

Balo celebrating a penos win against a Championship team in the League Cup.

He's a changed man! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Dickerty wrote: »
    Balo celebrating a penos win against a Championship team in the League Cup.

He's a changed man! :D

I suppose a milkman celebrates when he gets over-time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

I didn't get to watch the match last night but just checked out Rossiters highlight video. 17 year old debutant that looks incredibly composed. Seemed to show for the ball an awful lot, control with both feet, clever passing and a decent strike for the goal. Definitely didn't look out of his depth (admittedly, can't read too much into it from less than 5 minutes of footage)

If he keeps progressing then we should have a real top quality player for the first team on our hands in a couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

With Enrique fit it's a pity our two best fullbacks are both lefties.

Lambert had a mare last night.

Suso deserves more game time and not just because he popped up and scored last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

is Mignolet the worst no.1 keeper we've had since Westerveld? He just brings nothing to the team, it's bizarre we havent gotten someone else in at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The way Napoli have started the season Benitez could be gone by Christmas and the first thing I would do then would be straight in with a bid for Higuain even if Rafa doesn't get the sack I still put in a bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

The way Napoli have started the season Benitez could be gone by Christmas and the first thing I would do then would be straight in with a bid for Higuain even if Rafa doesn't get the sack I still put in a bid.

A bit on what's happening at Napoli for those interested.

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/2hb50a/what_is_wrong_with_napoli_analysis_of_the/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Whats up with sturridge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

brevity wrote: »

Sounds familiar with what happened here regards not getting the players he wanted and the club not backing him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭benny79

seems to me Rodgers isn't even looking for a keeper! even last nite peno shoot out he saved 1 out of 15 or there abouts, I know most them were quality, but to me thats not good enough!

I really think he is the weakest link in the team and been are keeper, That isn't good!

Wtf?

BySAUVSIYAAw6dE.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

benny79 wrote: »
    seems to me Rodgers isn't even looking for a keeper! even last nite peno shoot out he saved 1 out of 15 or there abouts, I know most them were quality, but to me thats not good enough!

I really think he is the weakest link in the team and been are keeper, That isn't good!

Theres been plenty of links saying we will sign valdes next month if he proves his fitness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

klose wrote: »
    Theres been plenty of links saying we will sign valdes next month if he proves his fitness.

I'd walk over hot coals for Valdes or Cech

Mignolet (or Maginot as my brother calls him - for good reason!!!) has the whole team nervous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

This was him at the start of the game last night.

ByPE2cLCQAAkcfi.png

Even Cech would be amazing, hes wasted on the Chelsea bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Hang on a minute, wasn't Mig not the second coming of Jesus last season?

What's all this never walk alone, loyalty and the supporters always support the players mantra you sprout here, I say get behind the keeper, it could just be a dip of form and show sosome support!

Theres a dip and from, and then there's this.

Its like the Belgian national team sucked the confidence out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Hang on a minute, wasn't Mig not the second coming of Jesus last season?

What's all this never walk alone, loyalty and the supporters always support the players mantra you sprout here, I say get behind the keeper, it could just be a dip of form and show sosome support!

a dip in form lasting 13 months? jeez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Anyone else see the new LFC club shop opening in October in the ilac ?
    Just walked past it at lunch there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement