Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Hang on a minute, wasn't Mig not the second coming of Jesus last season?

What's all this never walk alone, loyalty and the supporters always support the players mantra you sprout here, I say get behind the keeper, it could just be a dip of form and show sosome support!

tumblr_mk8hp583q51r42kl9o3_500.gif

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

What's all this never walk alone, loyalty and the supporters always support the players mantra you sprout here, I say get behind the keeper, it could just be a dip of form and show sosome support!

Mignolet in the past few games has made a few quality saves. This appears to be overlooked quite a bit.
    People also claim he is shakey on crosses. I've no stats, but I'd say on the majority of crosses, he cathes or gets a fist to it.
    One occassion last night, he made a fine save, but instead of pushing it wide, pushed it forward.

Compare this to Cortoius, supposedly the greatest keeper ever, we've only conceeded one more goal in the league that Chelsea so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Vicxas wrote: »
    Even Cech would be amazing

:confused:

That's like saying "even Neuer would be amazing", you make it sounds like we'd be settling with him. Cech is one of the best goalkeepers to have ever played in the EPL.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Migs biggest problem that I can see is he is not vocal enough. He should be calling runs that the defenders might not have noticed but he doesn't, instead he will rush out and leave himself stranded.

Alot of this is also down to the fact that the CB's aren't vocal enough aswell. Toure last night seemed vocal but he has been the only one since the start of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Begovic seems a long time ago now (hows he doing?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

I doubt mignolet is reading boards so its not like we are denting his confidence by criticising him here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Migs biggest problem that I can see is he is not vocal enough. He should be calling runs that the defenders might not have noticed but he doesn't, instead he will rush out and leave himself stranded.

Alot of this is also down to the fact that the CB's aren't vocal enough aswell. Toure last night seemed vocal but he has been the only one since the start of the season.

I think Lovren is quite vocal. Commands the back line quite well from what I've seen of him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Supporting doesn't mean you can't criticise. To be fair he's been muck for quite a whole now. He made a few VERY important saves last season but overall he hasn't been at all great. Whatever his goalkeeping ability all goalkeepers should be at least vocal, he isn't, that should be a given, keepers learn it as kids. He has no command in his own box or of his back 4. We bought him for that amount of money as a replacement for Reina and quite frankly he doesn't justify it. I'm saying it as it is. Of course I'll support him and I hope he turns it around. It's been going on too long now though to just put it down to form and if he doesn't tush it around soon it's really gonna cost us, more than it has already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

What formation would that be? we need players out field as well :P:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

8-10 wrote: »
    :confused:

That's like saying "even Neuer would be amazing", you make it sounds like we'd be settling with him. Cech is one of the best goalkeepers to have ever played in the EPL.

Ah yes, well i didnt mean it like that....

• Advertisement

Ste- wrote: »
    Anyone else see the new LFC club shop opening in October in the ilac ?
    Just walked past it at lunch there.

Yeah there was a post on it here a few days back, opening the 2nd of October if I remember correctly. Didi Hamann will be there for the opening signing and telling stories. Signing not singing, I hope :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I never remembered Lambert been so slow, he was like a fella with lead boots last night.
    What is to be said for Sterling as a 2nd striker when Sturridge is out?

We could play like

Balotelli
    Sterling
    Lallana/Coutinho
    Henderson ---- Allen
    Gerrard

We all know our best team, and we are dog **** without Sturridge, if you had Danny last night that game would have been finished in 90 mins. Sturridge would have been running behind, dragging defenders wide and take on the full backs. Instead you had 2 static centre forwards in Balotelli and Lambert who don't run behind the defence, they both want the ball to there feet.

We need a striker similar to Sturridge, hopefully Origi next season is that but we cant depend on Danny for the whole season. I like Balotelli, I really rate him and like what I have seen so far but he isn't Danny or Suarez with regards his playing style. Remy really would have been an excellent signing.

And if Borini wants any future here he needs to start scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Muck, hasn't been great, Reina, good god. From one extreme to the other.

REINA is done, the fact that he willingly sits on bayerns bench speaks volumes.

Defending as a team is broken, to single out any one player is an incorrect evaluation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Sturridge will make a world of difference to the team.

scary, but true.

what's scarier is that Borini is the closest thing we have to someone who can replace his movement.

Sterling is superb, but he needs players on his wavelength to work off. Lambert and Borini just aren't.

Sturridge, Henderson, Coutinho, and possibly Lallana are.

there's a distinct difference between the touch, vision and speed of some of our players compared to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

SlickRic wrote: »

scary, but true.

what's scarier is that Borini is the closest thing we have to someone who can replace his movement.

Sterling is superb, but he needs players on his wavelength to work off. Lambert and Borini just aren't.

there's a distinct difference between the touch, vision and speed of some of our players compared to others.

And where does baloteli fit into all this?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Listen to last nights game, you could hear him clearly directing traffic loudly and clearly.
    This not being vocal thing is a myth, or something that has been addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

T-K-O wrote: »

Defending as a team is broken, to single out any one player is an incorrect evaluation.

He's probably happy enough doing his Butlin's redcoat schtick on the team bus.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Listen to last nights game, you could hear him clearly directing traffic loudly and clearly.
    This not being vocal thing is a myth, or something that has been addressed.

Well last night for one or two corners he was vocal from what I seen but overall since he came in he wasnt, now maybe thats just because I am seeing these games on TV and it may well be a different story when you in the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Well last night for one or two corners he was vocal from what I seen but overall since he came in he wasnt, now maybe thats just because I am seeing these games on TV and it may well be a different story when you in the ground.

So it could be a different story in the ground, yet so many slate the guy with matter of fact comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

"Away, away" isnt what I'd call being vocal. He needs to be f*cking people out of it when mistakes are made.

• Advertisement

Playing with sturridge, I cant see him playing as a lone striker in this system and been effective. His back is to goal far too much, but that's his style it doesn't make him a bad player.

If we had bought Remy and Balotelli we would have had a player similar to Sturridge and then a plan B as such in Balotelli.

Anyone saying we miss Suarez is lazy analysis. We all know he is missed, who wouldn't miss him? He scored 31 goals and assisted 12 in 32 games.
    The problem is the team need to adapt, last season all we had to do was get the ball by any means to Suarez or Sturridge and let them do the rest.

Our defence looks bad and is worse than last year because honestly I think the opposition look at us and say lets get a goal or 2, they cant defend and are blunt up front, we can win. Last year it was like, we could score a couple but whats the point SAS will just score 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Firstly, he was never put on a pedestal like you hint at.

Secondly, Mignolet has been supported but this spell of poor decision-making has been protracted and shows no sign of allaying. Are you suggesting the club should just persevere with a keeper who doesn't appear to be adapting to the specific style of play required and is demonstrating a poor grasp of the basics? How long do you allow that to go on for? Loyalty is not in question here, however you try and spin it in a poor attempt to wind opposition supporters up. It's about doing what's best for the the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

scary, but true.

I'm not sure why this is scary. He was the second best scorer in the PL last season. Of course we're going to miss him when he's out.

I really don't know what to expect for the rest of this season. Yes, we've a lot of new players, so there is always going to be an adjustment as they settle in. And yes, in the second half of last season we had massive momentum that made the team better then the sum of its parts.

But, with all that in mind, we just seem to be a bit lost so far this season, bereft of ideas and maybe even more worryingly, hunger.

Hopefully the new players will start to gel, Rodgers will get some of the obvious issues sorted, and we'll push on. But part of me really does fear a repeat of '02-'03 and '09-'10 when we just dropped away after a great season the year before.

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

scary, but true.

Had this thought myself last night. There were times where Sterling tried to play a first time pass but nobody was on the same wavelength as him, if others were it really would have sped up out attacks. Last season we had sterling, Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho and Henderson all in the same page and it was impossible to defend against.

Hopefully Lallana will be another who can play like this, Markovic maybe too. I don't think Balotelli will be one of these players but I'm hoping if there is all this movement happening around him it will give him opportunities to produce moments of magic like we know he's capable of.

Balotelli fits in just fine, as we saw against Spurs.

he just doesn't provide the same movement as others, which helps open up defences.

he's strong, technically gifted and others work around him.

last season, our success was built on Suarez and Sturridge creating havoc, and thus creating space for things to happen. with no Sturridge at the moment, we just don't have the same threat because we're not creating that havoc.

I don't think Balotelli will be one of these players but I'm hoping if there is all this movement happening around him it will give him opportunities to produce moments of magic like we know he's capable of.

in a nutshell, this is exactly what Balotelli brings to the team in its best guise.

T-K-O wrote: »

He hasn't been great? I know Reina is done? Which is why I said he was bought in as a replacement for Reina for 10 or so million £s. What I'm saying is for someone who is bought to replace your no.1 keeper, I thought he'd be better.

You are right about the defensive thing though to be fair. There's so much wrong at the back now it's unfair to blame one single person for the goals we're conceeding, which I'm not.

I will say though, a keeper could make 10 saves in a game and make one mistake. That one mistake will usually result in a goal conceeded and everyone will concentrate on that and not the saves.

Outfield players can get away making numerous mistakes, others cover for them or they lose the ball in an unimportant part of the pitch. People still come out saying they've had a better game than said keeper.

In short every little mistake a keepers makes is picked up on, so maybe a lot if his criticism is unwarranted. But mistakes like coming off his line against Ludogorets and not being vocal are frustrating. Some have said he's improved on the latter and I hope that'll be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

benny79 wrote: »
    I taught lambert was shocking and really killed the pace of play when we were attacking don't know what BR seem in him don't even think hes good cover. Just because he follows liverpool is no excuse!
    gafferino wrote: »
    I though he was poor last night too but has looked ok in some of the games when he came on. He is capable of playing better than he did last night thats for sure, so I hope he still gets game time in the cups and as an impact sub at times.

Yep, I thort he had a mare also!

1791d1348536119-any-one-else-think-spelling_police.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

:confused::confused:

legend-3-230x150.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Is it going to be possible to bench a keeper who must be very low in confidence (woeful penalty shoot out last night, poor goals conceded in the last games) and replace him with Brad Jones for the derby? Not a nice choice, it has become evident that not getting in another keeper was a mistake in the transfer market.

We've been unlucky to lose Allen and Can at the same time, serious strain on the midfield, can't really blame BR there but we're struggling.

Prob need to go 3-5-2 against Everton.

Problem (gk)

Sahko/Skrtel/Lovren
    Moreno Manquillo

Lallana-Henderson
    Coutinho
    Madman-Sterling

I think Coutinho playing with Sterling would bring the best out of each other. I'd drop Gerrard as he hasn't had a good 90 minutes yet. No one is an automatic pick.

As bad as Gerrard has been there's no way I'd drop him for the Derby.

I thort I saw a puddy cat , I did, I did!

For the record lads, I'm not the spelling police or a grammar nazi, just a little joke on my behalf, that's why I spelt it wrong as well! No offence intended to the 2 lads in question!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

scary, but true.

And looking at the two of them last night I would include Suso in that bunch. Seemed have a good chemistry, not surprising given their years in the youths together.

Now back to football, I was very impressed with Lallana last night, very slick, and skilful on the ball, he likes a Cryuff turn or a hundred! As alluded to earlier Poor Ricky Lambert absolutely stank the place out of it, dunno if he's bottling it because he's playing for Liverpool or what but I expected a lot more.

Enrique was back in beast mode, looked like he was going to be done for a pace a couple of times but it's like he needs a second or two to crank up the engine before he hits full speed, Markovic was poor I thought, should have shot a couple of times and doesn't appear to have much trickery, looks to beat men with pace and that's it, the problem is he didn't look like a speedster last night, hopefully he'll settle soon. I'm unsure of Manquillo at this stage too, obv he's young and been chucked in at the deep end but he doesn't offer that much going forward, his crossing needs improvement, he's solid enough but I'd just like a wee bit more, can Moreno or Enrique play RB I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I'm unsure of Manquillo at this stage too, obv he's young and been chucked in at the deep end but he doesn't offer that much going forward, his crossing needs improvement, he's solid enough but I'd just like a wee bit more, can Moreno or Enrique play RB I wonder?

I think Manquillo has been very good, we've been hurt more down the left side than the right in recent games, but he can't keep playing every minute...

Yeah, for a lad that only played a handful of first team games for Atletico I think Manquillo has done really well slotting into a new team, country, football culture. He kept going till the end as well last night, still trying to get forward late in the game, and a took a decent penalty. He's exceeded my expectations anyway.

Interesting statistic regarding Manquilo. There are 2,000km between where he was playing in Madrid to where he is now, Liverpool. Since he's started playing for Liverpool, Manquilo has covered ground of 2,000km on the pitch. In theory, that covers the price of his flight over for me. Amazing statistic imo. On and up from here for the young lad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

is Mignolet the worst no.1 keeper we've had since Westerveld? He just brings nothing to the team, it's bizarre we havent gotten someone else in at this stage.

I know Boro took some cracking penalties but to let 13 of them in was pretty poor IMO. Not what you want to be seeing from a first choice keeper tbh, he should have a better save ratio than that.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I know Boro took some cracking penalties but to let 13 of them in was pretty poor IMO. Not what you want to be seeing from a first choice keeper tbh, he should have a better save ratio than that.

Joey Barton summed it up perfectly

"Has Mingolet got hands under them gloves??"

• Advertisement

Joey Barton says a lot of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Interesting statistic regarding Manquilo. There are 2,000km between where he was playing in Madrid to where he is now, Liverpool. Since he's started playing for Liverpool, Manquilo has covered ground of 2,000km on the pitch. In theory, that covers the price of his flight over for me. Amazing statistic imo. On and up from here for the young lad!

Hold on... if I'm reading this right, are you telling me Manquillo has covered 2000km in about 5 matches?

tok9 wrote: »
    Hold on... if I'm reading this right, are you telling me Manquillo has covered 2000km in about 5 matches?

Are you saying 5 matches or about 5 matches? Rough estimations don't work with these statistics unfortunately, they won't be as accurate otherwise.

tok9 wrote: »

Thats probably with Friendlies/CL/Cup games all included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Muahahaha wrote: »

he got a hand to one or two of them , but was weak wristed and couldn't divert them... still i have little fatih in him tbh.

Thats probably with Friendlies/CL/Cup games all included.

Yes, you are correct.

Are you saying 5 matches or about 5 matches? Rough estimations don't work with these statistics unfortunately, they won't be as accurate otherwise.

I'd say he hasnt ran as far as London yet.

11km or 12km per match * 5 (or 8) = 2000?

Bit of the ol paullegend maths. :pac:

breghall wrote: »
    he got a hand to one or two of them , but was weak wristed and couldn't divert them... still i have little fatih in him tbh.

I wouldn't worry about him having weak wrists, there are rumours of Emma Watson's nude pics being leaked from the iCloud hacker, if they are that should help rectify that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'm saying about but for arguments sake, let's say it is 5 matches exactly. That would mean he travelled 400km each match...

In other words that statistic makes no sense. In general you'd travel between 9-13km in a 90 minute match.

He would need to play well over 150 matches to be anywhere near covering 2000km!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'd say he hasnt ran as far as London yet.

11km or 12km per match * 5 (or 8) = 2000?

Bit of the ol paullegend maths. :pac:

He's probably made it to the airport - then he can fly the 2000 km:pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement