Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

tok9 wrote: »
    I'm saying about but for arguments sake, let's say it is 5 matches exactly. That would mean he travelled 400km each match...

In other words that statistic makes no sense. In general you'd travel between 9-13km in a 90 minute match.

I think he has only played in 4 out of our 5 PL matches aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Interesting statistic regarding Manquilo. There are 2,000km between where he was playing in Madrid to where he is now, Liverpool. Since he's started playing for Liverpool, Manquilo has covered ground of 2,000km on the pitch. In theory, that covers the price of his flight over for me. Amazing statistic imo. On and up from here for the young lad!

How many games has he played 7 or 8?
    Say 10.
    Average ground covered by prem players is 10km

So he's averaging 200km per game
    Bollix to your stat!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

jonny24ie wrote: »
    I think he has only played in 4 out of our 5 PL matches aswell.

I feel like you're missing the important points from my post. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Lads ye are missing one of the most important figures for calculating for this stat, think about it, it's obvious! We'll see who gets it first :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Lads ye are missing one of the most important figures for calculating for this stat, think about it, it's obvious! We'll see who gets it first :)

are you including the training pitch or did I forget to carry the 1?

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    are you including the training pitch or did I forget to carry the 1?

The game last night went to extra time, that's the only clue I'm giving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

noodler wrote: »
    Not a chance.

Now is not the time for including players are not likely to feature much this season for the sake of it.

We badly need a performance to go with the occasion tonight.

I think my opinion has been vindicated. Suso did more last night in his limited game time than Markovic and Lambert combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Mignolet in the past few games has made a few quality saves. This appears to be overlooked quite a bit.
    People also claim he is shakey on crosses. I've no stats, but I'd say on the majority of crosses, he cathes or gets a fist to it.
    One occassion last night, he made a fine save, but instead of pushing it wide, pushed it forward.

Compare this to Cortoius, supposedly the greatest keeper ever, we've only conceeded one more goal in the league that Chelsea so far.

Hes positioning and footwork is suspect. Third goal against Man City, first goal last night and the goal v west ham from the free kick. He was either in the wrong position, or didnt move his feet fast enough. He was rooted to his line last nite when the defensive line was around the penalty spot. He should have been further out for me to give him a chance of claiming the cross

Most of the saves he has made you would expect a keeper to save, I cant think of any one outstanding top drawer save this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

The game last night went to extra time, that's the only clue I'm giving.

According to Marca, Sterling already has one foot in Madrid. As Manquillo ran past Sterling, he passed both Sterling's feet, therefore he ran to Madrid.

Nope, can't make any sense of it.

• Advertisement

According to Marca, Sterling already has one foot in Madrid. As Manquillo ran past Sterling, he passed both Sterling's feet, therefore he ran to Madrid.

Nope, can't make any sense of it.

It's a riddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Playing on quilo sounding a bit like kilo?
    2000 mankilo meters

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

tok9 wrote: »
    I feel like you are missing the important points on the post. :p

I feel like im missing an entire conversation...... wooooooshh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Hes positioning and footwork is suspect. Third goal against Man City, first goal last night and the goal v west ham from the free kick. He was either in the wrong position, or didnt move his feet fast enough. He was rooted to his line last nite when the defensive line was around the penalty spot. He should have been further out for me to give him a chance of claiming the cross

Most of the saves he has made you would expect a keeper to save, I cant think of any one outstanding top drawer save this season

At home to Southampton, point blank that he pushed onto the bar late in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Rumoured midfield for 2016

Jordan Rossiter
    Jordan Lussey
    Jordan Williams
    Jordan Henderson
    Jordon Ibe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Rumoured midfield for 2016

Jordan Rossiter
    Jordan Lussey
    Jordan Williams
    Jordan Henderson
    Jordon Ibe

Katie-Price-balls.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Selling Suso without giving him a proper run is idiotic. Few youngsters have impressed me in the academy in recent years as much as Suso. He has every bit of talent to follow Sterling and probably Ibe into the first team.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

th?id=HN.608028955505659878&pid=15.1&P=0

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think my nose has run about 2000km in the last day or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Interesting statistic regarding Manquilo. There are 2,000km between where he was playing in Madrid to where he is now, Liverpool. Since he's started playing for Liverpool, Manquilo has covered ground of 2,000km on the pitch. In theory, that covers the price of his flight over for me. Amazing statistic imo. On and up from here for the young lad!

Is that 2000km by road and sea or as the crow flies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Mignolet in the past few games has made a few quality saves. This appears to be overlooked quite a bit.
    People also claim he is shakey on crosses. I've no stats, but I'd say on the majority of crosses, he cathes or gets a fist to it.
    One occassion last night, he made a fine save, but instead of pushing it wide, pushed it forward.

Compare this to Cortoius, supposedly the greatest keeper ever, we've only conceeded one more goal in the league that Chelsea so far.

I know who I'd have everyday of the week and twice on match days. :cool:

• Advertisement

Is that 2000km by road and sea or as the crow flies?

Hey look I'm only here to give the facts, not fantasy distances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

5starpool wrote: »
    I think my nose has run about 2000km in the last day or so.

Now, that stat is not to be sneezed at...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

It irks me sometimes reading this thread tbh. Suso has a good showing as an impact sub in a league cup game, against non elite opposition, and all of a sudden the chap deserves a place on the bench at the expense of Markovic.

Who is 20.

Who we just signed.

Who has barely got a look in.

Who is coming here highly rated in Europe.

I don't want to be harsh, but Suso has had plenty of opportunity already and is seemingly angling for a move to Milan on a free.

While we've only just signed Markovic and is someone who very much needs time, nurturing and patience.

So can some of you please relax on the knee jerk for once and look at the bigger picture; which is clearly the development of Markovic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I know who I'd have everyday of the week and twice on match days. :cool:

Is it that guy who does all the voices and sound effects from Police Academy? I bet you it's him.

5live wrote: »
    Now, that stat is not to be sneezed at...

Sadly I've sneezed at it around 50 times I'd say.

It irks me sometimes reading this thread tbh. Suso has a good showing as an impact sub in a league cup game, against non elite opposition, and all of a sudden the chap deserves a place on the bench at the expense of Markovic.

Who is 20.

Who we just signed.

I don't want to be harsh, but Suso has had plenty of opportunity already and is seemingly angling for a move to Milan on a free.

While we've only just signed Markovic and is someone who very much needs time, nurturing and patience.

So can some of you please relax on the knee jerk for once and look at the bigger picture; which is clearly the development of Markovic.

Lots of the things you are defending Markovic over apply to Suso too. It's 18 months or so before last night that he last played competitively for us, he's only 20, he's highly rated, and more importantly contributed well on the pitch last night.

I strongly disagree that he has had plenty of chances.

Suso should be kept. He never has had a proper chance. Selling him after sending him on loan to develop would be just stupid.

Give the lad a chance.

Lots of the things you are defending Markovic over apply to Suso too. It's 18 months or so before last night that he last played competitively for us, he's only 20, he's highly rated, and more importantly contributed well on the pitch last night.

Exactly, he was shipped out on loan while players like Aspas and Alberto who are no better where brought in. Suso is one player I would have liked to have seen on the bench last season.

At 20, I believe he hasn't been given a proper go in this squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Is Sturridge likely to be fit for this weekend? What's the latest on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

He played a role in Rodgers' 1st season and was then sent on loan to push on in his development. Going by Rodgers' business in the Summer, it seems Rodgers feels Suso didn't do that. And again, this is a play that seemingly wants out.

• Advertisement

He played a role in Rodgers' 1st season and was then sent on loan to push on in his development. Going by Rodgers' business in the Summer, it seems Rodgers feels Suso didn't do that. And again, this is a play that seemingly wants out.

Wants out because he isn't getting any game time. Maybe he doesn't try a leg in training or something, I just don't think he has been given any decent run in the 1st team to be happy to see him go.

Has he started even one league game for us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Rogers likes pace in front of his midfield, Suso isnt particularly quick.

In Rogers set up, were would he play ideally? Not even sure. I can see him settling in to a slower transitioning Milan team. He's a very neat footballer with a good finish, but I dont think he carries the ball well enough or moves quickly enough over the ground for BR.

I am pie wrote: »

In Rogers set up, were would he play ideally? Not even sure. I can see him settling in to a slower transitioning Milan team. He's a very neat footballer with a good finish, but I dont think he carries the ball well enough or moves quickly enough over the ground for BR.

Suso not quick? Can't agree with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

I am pie wrote: »

Is he that much slower than Lalana and Coutinho? To be honest I can see Suso moving more into a number 8 role as he progresses. Think he spent most of his time on the wings cutting in last season though. Open to correction there.

On Mignolet, one of my biggest concerns is that he is glued to his line. Rarely you will see him come far off it and properly clear the ball out from danger.

Anyone writing Markovich off at this early stage is crazy. The lad needs plenty of time to develop and I am sure he will get it. But people at the start of the season expecting him to slot straight into the starting 11 were being overly optimistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

joe123 wrote: »
    On Mignolet, one of my biggest concerns is that he is glued to his line. Rarely you will see him come far off it and properly clear the ball out from danger.

If only he had stuck to his line against Ludogorets we wouldn't have needed a last second penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭garra

Who is 20.

Who we just signed.

Poppy-cock. People are giving their first impressions of an expensive summer signing, there is no knee-jerkery involved.

Whatever about his contract status, Suso is on our books and can do a better job than some of his team mates so should be picked on merit.

Likewise I would like to see Markovic less in the first team until he looks strong enough mentally and physically. Throwing him in now, while the team is in a mini-slump, is not going to serve him well in the "bigger picture".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Agree on Markovic, he hasn't shown any glimpses of the alleged potential

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I'm not writing Markovic off but I'm still confused as to why we bought him in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Interesting piece by Michael Cox of Zonal Marking.

Echoing what many supporters aready believe. Steven Gerrard is the big problem defensively.
    The ultimate in leading by example, Gerrard isn't capable of that in this deep-lying midfield role. He lacks the commanding presence of, for example, Javier Mascherano, or the excellent positional skills of Xabi Alonso. Even Lucas Leiva, at his best, was a better defensive screen. Gerrard isn't entirely suited to that role, especially in front of a nervous back line.

Gerrard was first deployed in that position during the 5-3 win over Stoke early this year, that scoreline rather summarising the benefits and drawbacks of him in that role. It's useful in an attacking sense, but Gerrard's defensive frailties were obvious even throughout the title charge. The likes of Adam Lallana, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and David Silva all outwitted him last season, and this campaign players as basic Gabriel Agbonlahor and Stewart Downing have caused problems by simply marking Gerrard, then spinning off behind into space when possession is won.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/tactics-and-analysis/67/post/2050805/whos-to-blame-for-liverpools-defensive-woes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

slingerz wrote: »
    Agree on Markovic, he hasn't shown any glimpses of the alleged potential

He has a lot less pace than I thought he would for a winger/wide forward. Never saw him play that much for Benfica but everything I heard about him suggested he was fast and a good dribbler who liked to attack defenders. There was several times last night he was outpaced in a one on one with a defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Markovic has looked and played like a player worried about picking up another injury so soon after coming back. Pretty sure when he gains full fitness and a bit of confidence he'll start impressing people.
    Bit silly for people who admit themselves to hardly seeing any of him before this season to start judging him after a couple of games where the entire team is playing like ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

It be cool if drew Hypia's Brighton at Anfield in the next round.

If not, I'd like to get Chelsea or City

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Fourth round of the League Cup.

Bring on Swansea City in Anfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Well, at least we avoided the Dons!

• Advertisement

When is the draw for the next round?

When is the draw for the next round?
    Lapin wrote: »
    Fourth round of the League Cup.

Bring on Swansea City in Anfield.

:o Right now I guess.

A home fixture v Swansea it is in the 4th round. Rodgers to face his old club and Shelvey to face his. Ties to be played October 28/29. Delighted to have avoided MK Dons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Happy it's a home tie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

What's the big fear with MK Dons? They could only put 4 past United.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement