Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

It's not that I've something against Markovic, I just feel Suso hasn't been given a fair shot.

Two years ago he played a few games and did pretty well. Then he went on loan and by all accounts did well there too. Comes back and has a decent pre season and that's it.

Judging on last nights performance, he's still well able to come off the bench and look comfortable in a match. It was against Boro so I'm not saying he's a world beater but he should be considered for further involvement in the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Suso by all accounts is off to milan already so i guess the club and rodgers think why should we give a player who's leaving soon game time over a new player just in the door who himself needs game time? Markovic played a huge part in a treble winning benfica team, suso played for a team struggling for survival last season, a 20 minute cameo against middlesborough doesn't suddenly make him instantly better and he should demand game time all of a sudden. I personally would have love to see suso play more for us but im as excited by markovic playing just as much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Grayditch wrote: »
    What's the big fear with MK Dons? They could only put 4 past United.

To be fair United are a lot better than Liverpool. Di Maria, Falcao, Shaw, Herrera, Rojo... all on top of what they had already; Rooney, RVP, Mata.

There's no competing. They were 3-1 up against Leicester on Sunday and I was so sickened I had to turn it off. What did they win by the end now that I've calmed down?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

DVDM93 wrote: »
    To be fair United are a lot better than Liverpool. Di Maria, Falcao, Shaw, Herrera, Rojo... all on top of what they had already; Rooney, RVP, Mata.

There's no competing. They were 3-1 up against Leicester on Sunday and I was so sickened I had to turn it off. What did they win by the end now that I've calmed down?!

Finished 8-1, Giggsey came on and scored a hatrick ... cakewalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

You'll be recommending the veal next

klose wrote: »
    Suso by all accounts is off to milan already so i guess the club and rodgers think why should we give a player who's leaving soon game time over a new player just in the door who himself needs game time? Markovic played a huge part in a treble winning benfica team, suso played for a team struggling for survival last season, a 20 minute cameo against middlesborough doesn't suddenly make him instantly better and he should demand game time all of a sudden. I personally would have love to see suso play more for us but im as excited by markovic playing just as much.

Maybe the reason he's off is because he's been told he won't have much game time?

No one is calling for the team to be set up around him. Just to have him on the bench or starting a match sometime to see what he can actually do. It wasn't long ago we were all thinking of Suso and Sterling shining for Liverpool.

Can't say I'm surprised with that level of fire power. No disrespect to Leicester.

T-K-O wrote: »

Huh? I don't get it? As this picture will show you :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

T-K-O wrote: »

New York Matinee called it "a playful but mysterious little dish".

Brighton through to the 4th round for the first time in 30 years, a boy Sami Hyppia :) even if they aren't doing great in the league...away to Spurs next though in the cup, tough one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If you'd said 8-6 I ,ight have beleived you.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He has a lot less pace than I thought he would for a winger/wide forward. Never saw him play that much for Benfica but everything I heard about him suggested he was fast and a good dribbler who liked to attack defenders. There was several times last night he was outpaced in a one on one with a defender.

Just wait till he's fully fit and gaining confidence - he is absolutely lightning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Just wait till he's fully fit and gaining confidence - he is absolutely lightning!

I think it was his first pre season where he took the ball and shot off like lightning. Was some sight.

Looking forward to seeing that more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Markovic is not long back from hamstring injury. I'm guessing he is being tentative with showing his pace etc.
    I saw a stat where he is officialy the fastest u21 player with max speed at 36.6kmh , faster that (Robben, Rooney, Ribery, Lennon, wallcot, etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

daithijjj wrote: »
    I think some are being a bit harsh on Sturridge, even by not mentioning his name.

Suarez was never going to be replaced like for like but Sturridge is a massive loss to us also and is being underestimated in the Suarez talk.

Sure, but Sturridge is likely to have a couple of absences like this a year imo. If this is the result of such absences...

2 days to go until the Derby.
    Where is everyone :P

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

2 days to go until the Derby.
    Where is everyone :P
    Hiding behind their couches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Everton on a poor run of form, Liverpool on a poor run of form.

The match could kick start either teams season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

At home to Southampton, point blank that he pushed onto the bar late in the game.

1 Top Class Saves v 3 or 4 errors.....and its only Sept

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

slingerz wrote: »
    Agree on Markovic, he hasn't shown any glimpses of the alleged potential

To be fair he showed a glimpse of what he can do when he came on v City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

BT Sports 1 doing an show on Rodgers now if anyone can watch it one on one interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its just amazing how quickly people get the hump about a player if they aren't 100% of reputation after about 150 minutes of playing time.

I think a few are reading too much into how Markovic is rated.

I just want to see more Suso.

tok9 wrote: »
    I think a few are reading too much into how Markovic is rated.

I just want to see more Suso.

The thing is Markovich has been raved about and is highly rated in Europe by numerous journalists and coaches.
    We haven't heard the same about Suso tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Markovic, Sterling, Suso, Coutinho, Ibe, Lallana & Teixeira all pretty much want to play the same midfield role/s.

It is very hard to please all of them and one or two are going to lose out in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Markovic looks like he has some skills but he needs to beef up a bit, shoot more and turn on the turbo boost a bit more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I quite like the look of Markovic. He has about 8 years to go til he hits his peak so I won't be too hard on him after 4 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Seen Markovic in the Europa League & he was impressive & needs time. But with Ibe coming through I don't think Msrkovic was needed imo. We also have Ojo who is another youngster I rate very highly.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

MD1990 wrote: »
    Seen Young Markovic in the Europa League & he was impressive & needs time. But with Young Ibe coming through I don't think Young Msrkovic was needed imo. We also have Young Ojo who is another youngster I rate very highly.

FYP :pac:

Higuain was not playing last night at his own request some say so cue talk of dissatisfaction with a stuttering Napoli and Liverpool interest....(admittedly the Daily Express is the source)

• Advertisement

Are people seriously questioning Markovic? I think Sterling last season should be a lesson to us all.

Henderson too and Lucas before him.

The whole team is playing poorly and I'd be blaming Manager and senior players before youngsters who are new to the club

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Derby hairdooooooooo

Mario.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

He should have just gotten a Liverbird shaved in either side for the derby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Sure, but Sturridge is likely to have a couple of absences like this a year imo. If this is the result of such absences...

Ah yeah, we all know he will miss some time. But we did also miss Suarez for large chunks.

The thing is, and this is why i was harpin on about it at the time, last season we has the 3 lads up top, and effectively we were playing Villa for example with none of them, Sterling should never have been dropped in my eyes for that game.

Even in our great run last year, if we had lost Suarez/Sturridge/Sterling we would have been in the same spot last year as we were against Villa. Then, we do have to add in the other factors like having a lot of new bodies around. It takes small miracles and a bit of luck to throw out a team with 6 or 7 new players and hope it works. It doesnt matter how much you spend, there needs to be a period of integration at this point. We just hope that more of them are made out of what Henderson is made of and they eventually settle in and improve.

My only worry moving forward is that we get players based on value/wages rather than what we need. I think Markovic will come good but i persoannly wouldnt have bought him last summer. I'd have kept Ibe and bought the yard dog Gerrard needs beside him. But thats just me, the club clearly have a strategy in place, i just think they have blind spots in a couple of areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Sterling should never have been dropped in my eyes for that game.

People keep saying this.

Either you trust the management and the fitness staff at the club or you don't.

Saying "well he had to bench Sterling after he talked about burnout" or whatever else is just pure guesswork. We have no idea what condition he came back from England in.

Just because he has been fit enough to play the last 2 and the derby in quick succession doesn't mean he was fit to play against Villa.

Liverpool U21s play Man City U21s at 7 pm, no sign of any TV coverage though so it looks like twitter or bust. :(

Both teams thumped their respective domestic and Euro opponents last two times out, so should be goaltastic and full of the kind of cut and thrust so lacking the senior side right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Gbear wrote: »
    People keep saying this.

Saying "well he had to bench Sterling after he talked about burnout" or whatever else is just pure guesswork. We have no idea what condition he came back from England in.

Just because he has been fit enough to play the last 2 and the derby in quick succession doesn't mean he was fit to play against Villa.

Sterling came on in the game he was 'rested' for. You think we would rest Sturridge and Sterling and everyone else who played twice?.

You cant talk about burnout and then play the lad for 120 mins in a comp a lot people dont seem to give a fk about. It just makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Im getting a bit sick of these training photos. Right we get it, youre all one big happy family.

Score some goals

Im getting a bit sick of these training photos. Right we get it, youre all one big happy family.

Score some goals

Agree with this, I said after the West Ham game some square bashing is needed. Seeing these multi gazillionaires larking about when they are playing **** football is sending the wrong signal out.

Talking about not beating your man :mad:

456073946-lazar-markovic-of-liverpool-in-action-during-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QZgKy1Z92h5jK9TZJWUb2jhMeFUXNamL1thGQb2pp1e9Flc1QY5F4oFUFJYXBCSd9Q%3d%3d

Sterling came on in the game he was 'rested' for. You think we would rest Sturridge and Sterling and everyone else who played twice?.

???
    It's nothing to do with how many games everyone played. It's down to the fitness of the individual.
    Henderson is very rarely injured and predictably, he was ok to play. Sturridge was injured and out for several weeks. Sterling was seemingly somewhere in the middle.

And there's a big difference between starting a player and giving him half an hour.

You cant talk about burnout and then play the lad for 120 mins in a comp a lot people dont seem to give a fk about. It just makes no sense.

Unless you actually know something about fitness (you're a physio, for example) and you're fully informed about Sterling specific condition at the time you really have no basis on which to make that claim.

Sure it makes no sense to you. Doesn't make any sense to me either. But then again, neither of us have the foggiest notion about the situation so that doesn't really matter, does it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

No chance Sturridge will start & unlikely to make bench.
    Liverpool FC striker Daniel Sturridge is running out of time to prove his fitness ahead of Saturday’s Merseyside derby at Anfield.

The prolific Reds striker, who has been sidelined for the past three weeks with a thigh strain he suffered on international duty, had hoped to make his comeback against Everton.

However, the 25-year-old has yet to return to full training at Melwood and appears increasingly unlikely to feature in the 223rd derby.

Even if Sturridge makes considerable progress over the next 48 hours the best he can hope for is a place on the bench.

Liverpool remain hopeful that Jordan Henderson (hip) and Philippe Coutinho (groin) will be fit for duty against Roberto Martinez’s side. But Glen Johnson, Joe Allen, Emre Can and Jon Flanagan remain sidelined.
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/daniel-sturridge-derby-blow-liverpool-7832602

Gbear wrote: »
    People keep saying this.

The only management and fitness staff I trust with our players is England's.

The only management and fitness staff I trust is England's.

They know what's up.

Injure Sturridge just enough so that he misses all of Liverpool's games but is right as rain in time for the next international break.:(

9217__0336__sterling1000_5423ea22710f7322941884_517X310.jpg

MD1990 wrote: »
    No chance Sturridge will start & unlikely to make bench.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/daniel-sturridge-derby-blow-liverpool-7832602

hmmmm just listening to Rodgers in the presser there and he wasnt giving anything away. Said he is out on the pitch working and they will assess him over the next 24 hours or so.

No Allen again. How serious is his injury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

gafferino wrote: »
    Derby hairdooooooooo

Mario.PNG

Is that the House Targaryen in the first picture?

I am genuinely sick and tired of reading about these injuries. I don't know whether to laugh or cry... or go through the fcuking wall because I'm so fcuking angry or simply calm down because there's nothing I can do about it.

Shiny glass looks nice but it's no good to ya when it's broke, a bit like some of our players and a lot like my heart at the moment.

Get well soon lads, please x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Late again, sorry. From last week:

Morzadec wrote: »
    1. Chelsea: +4
    2. City: -0.5
    3. Liverpool: -1
    4. Spurs: -1.5
    5. Arsenal: -1.5
    6. Everton: -3
    7. United: -4

Updated:

1. Chelsea: +4
    2. Arsenal: -0.5
    3. City: -1.5
    4. Liverpool: -3
    5. Spurs: -4
    6. Everton: -5.5
    7. United: -6

Arsenal the only team to make ground, but also a fantastic week for Chelsea I would say.

May have to rethink this whole two tier system if the 'big' teams continue to perform so woefully! Variance should bring things into line soon I would say. It says something about how poor the CL contenders have been that we are still somehow 4th in this table

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement