Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Note in OP, 1/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Gbear wrote: »
    ???
    It's nothing to do with how many games everyone played. It's down to the fitness of the individual.
    Henderson is very rarely injured and predictably, he was ok to play. Sturridge was injured and out for several weeks. Sterling was seemingly somewhere in the middle.

And there's a big difference between starting a player and giving him half an hour.

Unless you actually know something about fitness (you're a physio, for example) and you're fully informed about Sterling specific condition at the time you really have no basis on which to make that claim.

Sure it makes no sense to you. Doesn't make any sense to me either. But then again, neither of us have the foggiest notion about the situation so that doesn't really matter, does it?

All i know is the manager complaining about losing a player (Sturridge) through injury. He then had his own decision to make over Sterling, he made the wrong one imo.

You're telling me i havent the foggiest idea whether he was fit or not to start, well its the same argument i could make to you. The difference is he has started everything since!

Its a simple case for me, given the schedule we had over the next 14 days, that Sterling would start v Villa and not feature v Middlesborough, if you are trying to rest the player.

End of the day, we were awful v Villa, partly because we didnt start our in form player and gave too many new lads a game at the same time.

If Sterling had shown even the slightest dip in form i'd be agreeing with you, fact is he hasnt. He was good a year or two ago and Rodgers kept playing him until he went 2 or 3 months being pretty bad before he got dropped. If he simply rested Sterling v Villa, a team we notoriously have problems with at Anfield, then i think the club is being overly cautious with the player. I also think it was the wrong fixture to rest him. There is no evidence anywhere of anything other than being rested. Thats a choice we made as a club, and i think we got it wrong, thats all there is to my point really.

I dont think Rodgers is very experienced in the big squad 'problem' and i think we may see some more somewhat dodgy selections. I dont see a problem in questioning selections and i dont have an issue with your opinions on it either. Thats what we all do when we see a line up before a game. When i saw Lucas starting v West Ham i knew we were in bother.

The league is of utmost importance to the club this year. The CL i consider a 'reward' for last year. Ultimately, i think if you are going to be 50/50 on whether to rest a player you dont take the player out of starting the league game. If necessary bring off early or rest in a comp that isnt as important in the grand scheme.

As for the highlighted part, some would say the big difference was it gave Villa a massive boost out the gate to see our in form player not starting, on top of our other in form player being injured. It cost us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

If anything Sterling could have been rested against Ludogorets. The Villa performance & result has really affected the team imo. Confidence is crucial & we lost alot of it that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

daithijjj wrote: »
    All i know is the manager complaining about losing a player (Sturridge) through injury. He then had his own decision to make over Sterling, he made the wrong one imo.

You're telling me i havent the foggiest idea whether he was fit or not to start, well its the same argument i could make to you. The difference is he has started everything since!

The key difference is that I'm not making the claim. I'm just going with the professionals in charge of the decision who were in possession of all the necessary information.
    Its a simple case for me, given the schedule we had over the next 14 days, that Sterling would start v Villa and not feature v Middlesborough, if you are trying to rest the player.

It isn't a simple case for me, because I don't know anything about the day to day condition of the player or sports science in general.
    End of the day, we were awful v Villa, partly because we didnt start our in form player and gave too many new lads a game at the same time..

Evidently that isn't the case - we've been just as awful ever since with Sterling in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

The key difference is that I'm not making the claim. I'm just going with the professionals in charge of the decision who were in possession of all the necessary information.

It isn't a simple case for me, because I don't know anything about the day to day condition of the player or sports science in general.

Evidently that isn't the case - we've been just as awful ever since with Sterling in the team.

Professionals make mistakes every day of their lives. For all we know these lads in charge of making these decisions could be sacked at any moment, like the last crew we employed, who were similarly given the plaudits at random over Agger's fitness whenever he got a run in the team. Ultimately its a guessing game for a man (the manager) who has as much training medically as pretty much anyone on here. He uses info he is given as a guide. If he takes that info as gospel it can bite you on the arse with some results.

Our poor form isnt down to Raheem Sterling, i think thats something everyone can agree on. On the flipside, a lot of what we do well is down to him recently. Or at least channels through him. You cant lose that and expect better results, regardless of the teams form in general.

I've enjoyed the discussion but i think it has been exhausted now tbh. I need to be rested for my next one. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I am genuinely sick and tired of reading about these injuries. I don't know whether to laugh or cry... or go through the fcuking wall because I'm so fcuking angry or simply calm down because there's nothing I can do about it.

Shiny glass looks nice but it's no good to ya when it's broke, a bit like some of our players and a lot like my heart at the moment.

Get well soon lads, please x

I would rate our injury troubles very good compared to other clubs. Arsenal and united must have very poor sports science team as they are constantly injured. Sturridge, Allen and Can all injured on international duty not much the club can do about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I wonder should I start the match thread and really give people something to moan about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Coutinho and Hendo are in the training pics so I am assuming they are fit.

10672051_10152858853927573_2656106281816782094_n.jpg?oh=97f2bf3b1bd1060fea65bb8754e73a71&oe=5487DBEC

10384548_10152858854712573_8817118624021810806_n.jpg?oh=6d920f85a6a55a907ee9763f63fc2499&oe=5489290F

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I wonder should I start the match thread and really give people something to moan about :D

Yes do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

lets have no match thread and huff instead

No Sturridge and we'll struggle again up top.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

rob316 wrote: »
    I would rate our injury troubles very good compared to other clubs. Arsenal and united must have very poor sports science team as they are constantly injured. Sturridge, Allen and Can all injured on international duty not much the club can do about that.

Oh I know that :) I made a joke about England's fitness and medical staff in a pervious post. Nothing out club staff can do about these 'international' injuries. It's just so frustrating even that pigeon Roy Hodgson is training Sturrudhe differently to what we do, the way we know how.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

For Saturday I think we'll see 4-2-3-1, Gerrard and Henderson in midfield, Lallana, Coutinho and Sterling ahead of them with Balotelli up front.

Lovren and Skrtel at centre back with Manquillo and Moreno in the full back positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Fescue wrote: »
    For Saturday I think we'll see 4-2-3-1, Gerrard and Henderson in midfield, Lallana, Coutinho and Sterling ahead of them with Balotelli up front.

Lovren and Skrtel at centre back with Manquillo and Moreno in the full back positions.

I'd say with the noises being made Suso will start and Sturridge will be on the bench

rarnes1 wrote: »
    No Sturridge and we'll struggle again up top.

We need to get Balotelli support then.

I don't think you can do that unless you play Borini.

We need to get Balotelli support then.

I don't think you can do that unless you play Borini.

I can't see him going with the diamond after the display against West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Love the early game, a win and the mood for the weekend is set and we can just sit back and enjoy the other games.

A loss and its

rdIsTE2.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    I'd say with the noises being made Suso will start and Sturridge will be on the bench

Don't see Sturridge in the squad at all. Above any other player we won't be taking risks with his fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I'm starting the match thread.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

hefferboi wrote: »
    I'm starting the match thread.

giphy.gif

I also move that we re introduce the anti-jinx. It was a big part of our season last year.

Everton win all the way.

I can't see him going with the diamond after the display against West Ham.

Nothing to do with the formation and everything to do with the personnel used in it.

I thought Borini did well enough but when you have no midfield you're always going to struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

#LFCU21s team to face Manchester City tonight: Ward, Randall, Maguire, Stewart, Jones, Phillips, Ojo, Lussey, Yesil, Brannagan, Kent.

#LFCU21s substitutes: Chirivella, Fulton, Wilson, Trickett-Smith, Cleary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Rossiter and Williams staying with the senior squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Connavar wrote: »

I do hope he plays his way into Brendans plans by continueing the stunning form he showed the other night. Fantastic player and I do hope he stays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    I do hope he plays his way into Brendans plans by continueing the stunning form he showed the other night. Fantastic player and I do hope he stays

Ah come one now

T-K-O wrote: »
    Ah come one now

You know what I meant. Get the Vocab Police off my case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    You know what I meant. Get the Vocab Police off my case

I'm off the clock. I just find it amusing how certain posters critique our players in here. Mignolet takes a step to the left and he's muck, Suso comes on and plays a few decent passes and he's stunning.

BTW, I'm delighted he's back in the fold. I just hope that deal with Milan is only a rumour.

T-K-O wrote: »
    I'm off the clock. I just find it amusing how certain posters critique our players in here. Mignolet takes a step to the left and he's muck, Suso comes on and plays a few decent passes and he's stunning.

BTW, I'm delighted he's back in the fold. I just hope that deal with Milan is only a rumour.

I guess the word stunning describes how ecstatic I am now hes back in the fold. Hopefully he will stay there

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

No idea where this is coming from, and if it's just 2+2=27 or something, but...
    Mootaz ‏@Mootaz_LFC 2m
    Rodgers confirms that contract negotiations are ongoing over a new deal for Suso, good news.

Hopefully true and happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Illori scored for Bordeaux.

Nothing to do with the formation and everything to do with the personnel used in it.

I thought Borini did well enough but when you have no midfield you're always going to struggle.

Yeah I thought Borini was bright enough. But I think to play him and Balotelli up front it has to be the diamond. That means Gerrard on his own at the base of it, which is the root of a lot of our problems.

#LFCU21s team to face Manchester City tonight: Ward, Randall, Maguire, Stewart, Jones, Phillips, Ojo, Lussey, Yesil, Brannagan, Kent.

#LFCU21s substitutes: Chirivella, Fulton, Wilson, Trickett-Smith, Cleary

Finished 3-4 to City. Two from Phillips and the third from either Kent or Wilson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It was a header from a corner. Scrappy goal, but it's good that he can get himself into the position to score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Finished 3-4 to City. Two from Phillips and the third from either Kent or Wilson.
    How did Adam Phillips play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

???
    Henderson is very rarely injured

oh no you dinnint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Rossiter and Williams staying with the senior squad?

Can and Allen are still injured so we are still short on centre mid options even with hendo and coutinho back so I guess they will be sticking around for another while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Markovic will prove to be an astute buy or I will stand outside the GPO yada yada yada.

• Advertisement

Yeah I thought Borini was bright enough. But I think to play him and Balotelli up front it has to be the diamond. That means Gerrard on his own at the base of it, which is the root of a lot of our problems.

It might be the root of our defensive problems but we weren't as bad defensively last season as we have been so far.

And it doesn't matter what we do at the back if we can't score.

If we only have 1 player on the pitch that can score (Sterling) it's a virtual guarantee that we're not going to win.
    That's what the 4-5-1 has looked like so far.

In some games we've been playing with 3 midfielders with little productivity in the final third - Allen, Gerrard, Lucas and Henderson create relatively few chances from open play and don't score much either.

If we played Coutinho, Sterling and Lallana maybe Balotelli might get the service he needs, but even so, you have very little movement up front and an awful lot of congestion. It would depend how Everton set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Not getting over 10m for Borini and watching him start the other night really depressed me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

3 games in 7 days the end of next month, all at home fortunately enough. Reminds me when you play career mode on fifa and all the fixtures get stupidly bundled up mid season.

323332.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

mike 65 is alive and well and having texts read out on guardian football weekly podcast. apparently he thinks gerrard is past it and the media are turning a blind eye. :)

How did Adam Phillips play?

No idea, for some reason it wasn't on the telly. Pity - have to look for the Mostar highlights at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Great so our next league match after Madrid;) is Hull:( I cant wait to see Fat head.

I fricking hate when Liverpool face a Steve Bruce team, he always seems to get a result against us.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Great so our next league match is Hull:( I cant wait to see Fat head.

I fricking hate when Liverpool face a Steve Bruce team, he always seems to get a result against us.

That's October. We play West Brom at home after Everton, with Basle away in between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I'd love to hear that illori kept another clean sheet, him coming back as a strong cb next year would be a huge boost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Bump.

Cringe for you pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Conflicting reports about sturridge. Sky has him back. Where as a few other places have him ruled out.

Could use him second half against Everton.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement