Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Buying Advice (Cannondale Synapse v Canyon CF SLX)

• 30-08-2014 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

I’m looking for some advice choosing a bike. I was originally looking to get a Cannondale Synapse at the beginning of the summer but the bike shop I was going through weren’t able to get them in stock and recommended holding out for the 2015 models.

With a budget of €3K, window shopping over the summer has narrowed it down to this shortlist, can't post full urls or images but I'd be going for the matt black finish options:
    Cannondale Synapse / Ultegra / Disc @ €3125
    [www .cannondale.com/nam_en/2015/bikes/road/endurance-road/synapse-carbon/synapse-carbon-ultegra-disc]

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 / Ultegra @ €2999
    [www .canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3615]

Canyon Ultimate CF SL 9.0 / Ultegra Di2 @ €2899
    [www .canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3583]

I’m not sure I really need the Di2, of the Canyons I’d probably sway towards the better frame of the SLX. The reviews I’ve read on the Synapse make it sound ideal for handling the less than perfect road surfaces in the Donegal hills but the Canyons look like the better value for money, e.g. Mavic Ksyrium versus Aksium. The doubt I’d have on the Canyon is making sure I get the right fit, I’ve done the online measurement but this is my first road bike (making the switch from a hybrid) and a bricks and mortar shop to go back to feels like a safer option.

The bike will be used for longer spins/sportives on roads that maybe aren’t that great. Any feedback/advice would be great particularly from anyone who has a Synapse or anyone who has gone through a first time purchase on the Canyon website.

Cheers folks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

The geometry of the SLX might not be the best choice for your purposes. If you get a good fit, you might find theres a significant drop to the bars due to the relatively shorter head tube. This could be a big change from a hybrid.

The SL is a great choice here, if you're happy with the Di2. You'd need to be careful of the right fit with this as well, but to a lesser extent.

Although I prefer the Canyons, the Cannondale seems more practical and might be the best choice by a whisker. If you were to have the three bikes, the Cannondale would be the 'go to 'bike for training and spins etc, while the SL would be like a Sunday best for sunny sportives and the SLX for A3 + racing. It gets great reviews by anyone who has one and aksiums are fine for your purposes. You can get over 10000 km before you might think of upgrading - a set of Zondas for it after a year or so and you're all set. I'd consider comfort a priority against the marginal gain of krysiums over aksiums.
    Further on down the road you might also be glad of the LBS support too.

Theres a temptation to buy the best looking most aggressive race machine without considering if they will be nice to ride after a few spins. If you're not at optimal weight and flexibility, the Canyons might be a harsh ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

Thanks for that, really great advice there.

I think you hit the nail on the head, I originally picked out the Synapse as the most suitable bike but when I had time on my hands to wait for the 2015 models I think i fell into the trap of for the money I'd saved up what else can I get. Those Canyons look like super machines and great value but may not necessarily be the best for me.

What I'm wary of happening though is something similar to when I bought my hybrid, if I knew then what I know now I would have gone straight for a road bike. I thought at the time I was playing it safer so this time out I didn't want to necessarily rule out a more aggressive geometry without considering it.

I'm 6'1" and 80kg so weight/flexibility should be fine. Chasing better times on Strava segments can be addictive but I think the main thing is to pick the right bike that will I will enjoy riding for years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

ive heard that canyons are similar to rose. if thats so, id consider rose. they allow far more options re finishing kit etc, and with canyons you are stuck with the weird stem clamp diameter so you can only really use ritchey stems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

ps im 6'4" and ride a 59 size rose xeon. so take from that what you will

slap/dash wrote: »
    ive heard that canyons are similar to rose. if thats so, id consider rose. they allow far more options re finishing kit etc, and with canyons you are stuck with the weird stem clamp diameter so you can only really use ritchey stems

Thanks, I've heard of Rose bikes but hadn't really considered one. I'll take a closer look at them. More options is probably a good thing but for most people but for the indecisive like myself it can be a mixed blessing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Regarding the Synapse, I would think twice about committing to disc brakes on a weekend road bike. The technology is very new.

Specifically, there are issues with rotor rub under load (more of an issue on bikes like the Synapse without front through-axles) or when hot, rattly shifters, chainline and wheel availability.

Disc brakes are also more complex to install, adjust and maintain compared to rim brakes, and are a lot heavier at any given price point particularly in the wheels where weight is most noticeable.

I'm planning to get a disc-braked road bike this winter but I'm going in eyes-wide-open and it won't be my only bike.

Thanks for the heads up on disc brakes, it was something i wanted to ask about the Synapse as there is also the option to go for standard caliper. I haven't been into the bike shop since the 2015 models were announced but I was going to get their view on maintenance for disc model. If I thought that aspect of it would be ok I'd be leaning towards disc as I have them on my hybrid and stopping performance in the wet is excellent.

I know Giant have gone disc on their 2015 models as well, would they have the same front through axle issue you mentioned? Seems to be plenty new models at Eurobike with disc brakes, had thought the technology although new might be relatively stable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Op imho 3k on first road bike is mental. Buying it online even more so.

Nobody including you have any idea of what geometry you might want/need, what kind of riding you will do or in time end up doing.

Buy a 2nd hand tiagra/105 bike a few years old and learn a bit about what suits you. Then you'll have an informed opinion on fit, geometry, what riding you like, caliper brakes etc etc

Learn how to take care of it.

Next year buy your 3k bike and keep old bike as winter bike or sell.

If your going to buy you've got good advice so far.

Advertisement