Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many times a year can I visit?

Options
  • 30-08-2014 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭

And is it a calander year or start the first time?

Gonna have to visit a couple of times in the next 12 months but it could potentially be every 2 months for up to two weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There is no actual limit though the general view here is that the gap between visits needs to be at least the length of the visit itself. You'll just need to have your story ready for the immigration agents in the airport. You'll only need one ESTA as they last two years or until your passport expires and it covers multiple visits.

Although they typically give you a 90 day visitor permit travelling from Ireland, that expires as soon as you come back to Ireland so each visit will involve a chat with an agent and a new permit stamped in your passport..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

That doesn't seem too much to raise suspicions, though it really does depend on the agent you get on the day.

As mentioned, the general rule of thumb is to stay out as long as you were in. The more times you do it, the more questions you're going to get as to what you are upto. As long as there is no funny business (like working etc) you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

As long as there is no funny business (like working etc) you'll be fine

Exactly. If you want to go and visit grandma in NY every weekend it would be fine. Just be prepared to be asked.

And there's probably professions like couriers or flight attendants that frequently go back and forth.

The americans aren't going to stop you from visiting because you've been there "too many" times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I visited the US every two months for a year and it was not a problem. One of my trips was over three weeks long iirc. The only time I was questioned was when I entered the US on a Friday, returned to Ireland the following Tuesday and then flew back to the US the next Monday. I was asked why I had stayed such a short time and why I was returning so soon. I told the truth, said I had flown home to attend a funeral and was returning to complete my visit to my boyfriend. That was accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Exactly. If you want to go and visit grandma in NY every weekend it would be fine. Just be prepared to be asked.

And there's probably professions like couriers or flight attendants that frequently go back and forth.

The americans aren't going to stop you from visiting because you've been there "too many" times.

flight attendants and couriers wouldn't be travelling on esta's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

flight attendants and couriers wouldn't be travelling on esta's.

Couriers would, they're usually just dropping something off, and picking something up

Flight attendants use the D visa catagory

Advertisement