Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cats and daddylonglegs

• 30-08-2014 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭

is it just my ginger lunatic or do all cats eat these little guys
    there seems to be a lot of them around at present

was out the back today doing a bit and every time I looked the looper was either eating one or trying to catch one

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I haven't noticed daddylonglegs particularly but my cats eat all kinds of insects from flies to spiders and moths to butterflies! I think it's mostly about "catching your own" really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

My cat will eat anything that moves, often hear her crunching spiders which is gross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

thanks for you reply janmaree

I was thinking it was a bit of fun he was after myself until I watched him for a while he spent about 2 hours at least catching and chewing

jesus hes fat enough as it is if this continues he will be like the Michelin man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

None of our 4 bother catching insects. It'd be great if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Tdoyle

Yes mine eats daddy long legs all the time..after he torments them and chases them around the room for sport. And don't start me off on the dead or nearly dead birds and mice he brings in the window in his mouth on a regular basis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

My dog has eaten one... hit his nose off the wall trying to eat it off the curtain.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mine used to jump very VERY high to catch those that had landed on a wall. If they were too out of reach, I'd lift him up to them, he'd catch them, eat them and then start purring very loudly, delighted with himself and his great achievement. It was hilarious to see...

Other cats I had when I was a child used to love to catch live flies in their mouths - they'd let them buzz in their mouths for a while before chewing them - I love to think it was the cat version of popping candy... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

My kitten goes absolutely wild for them, he wont settle if there's one in the room. My grown up cats are far too mature and dignified to be at that kind of nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

At least yours eats them, mine will kill any insect going but kindly leaves them on the spot for me to clean! It's disgusting and with two kids under 2 it's a full time job to check to make sure they don't find them first!

The only plus is I have a major phobia of spiders so he's my hero now and again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

New Home wrote: »
    Mine used to jump very VERY high to catch those that had landed on a wall. If they were too out of reach, I'd lift him up to them, he'd catch them, eat them and then start purring very loudly, delighted with himself and his great achievement. It was hilarious to see...

Other cats I had when I was a child used to love to catch live flies in their mouths - they'd let them buzz in their mouths for a while before chewing them - I love to think it was the cat version of popping candy... :D

I do the same with one of my cats :pac: she whinges if she cant get up to whatever she is chasing so I pick her up and she makes chirpy noises if she manages to get it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It seems our cats aren't the only ones...

http://9gag.com/gag/aAV1dRL

Advertisement