Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ending formula feeds

Options
  • 30-08-2014 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

At what age do you stop giving formula completly? My lo is 10 months, I know that's way too early, but he has just this week dropped a bottle so now is taking one in the morn and one before bed. He eats like a horse constantly during the day and takes 2 sippy cups of water throughout.
    He has had cows milk in cereal etc since 6 months and no probs. Do I need to introduce cows milk in a sippy cup during the day? What way did ye guys do it? TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Cows milk as a drink after 12 months. Formula stopped after twelve months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I'm curious about this too ... I'm wondering if it would be best to substitute the odd beaker of water with cows milk instead, to get them used to drinking it, before they reach twelve months? I'm not talking about replacing formula with cows milk, but I think I'd probably be inclined to give beakers of cows milk to replace water, maybe 2-3 times a week, from ten months on? My boy is only eight months so I guess I'll see how it goes when the time comes!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Once they are eating well then you can cut down on bottles from about 9 months my toddler was on 2-3 bottles a day .
    We have to be careful with milk and allergies but he was the only one with no milk allergy at all so he was happy with cups of milk and a bottle for bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Both mine were on formula for about 16 months, both wouldn't touch cows milk straight away even though they would on breakfast. We just started adding an ounce of cows milk to the formula mix, then 2 ounces after about 4 days, then another etc etc. One changed quick, took about 10 days, the other took about a month.

Advertisement