Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIR question

Options
  • 30-08-2014 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

Can a PIR light be made not to come on at some times i.e not to react to the presence of a person at all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lyncher2014

it would have to be worked off a switch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

it would have to be worked off a switch
    a separate switch to enable/disable it? There is no button on the pir? and if it has no switch would it come on in daylight?

It would be an independent switch between the live feed and the PIR light. It shouldn't come on during the day time, there should be a small dial on the side to adjust the lux levels to determine when you want the light on and how dark it is to be out.

It would be an independent switch between the live feed and the PIR light. It shouldn't come on during the day time, there should be a small dial on the side to adjust the lux levels to determine when you want the light on and how dark it is to be out.
    But if you use the small dial to determine when you want the light on and how dark it is to be out why would you need a separate switch. Sorry do not understand this at all

GoodLord wrote: »
    small dial to determine when you want the light on and how dark it is to be out

What I mean by this is how dark do you want outside to be before it triggers. I.e pitch black at night, in the evenings or early in the mornings.

In regards to the switch, the pir on the light acts as a switch to turn on and off the light automatically . but you were looking for the light to not come on at certain times if someone goes past and the only way to do that is with an independent switch that you manually have to flick for it for the light not to react to the presence of person.

• Advertisement

What I mean by this is how dark do you want outside to be before it triggers. I.e pitch black at night, in the evenings or early in the mornings.

In regards to the switch, the pir on the light acts as a switch to turn on and off the light automatically . but you were looking for the light to not come on at certain times if someone goes past and the only way to do that is with an independent switch that you manually have to flick for it for the light not to react to the presence of person.
    So if i did not have an independent switch it would turn when the postman comes at 11am?. Do most people have an independent switch

Thanks for your help with this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

So if i did not have an independent switch it would turn when the postman comes at 11am?. Do most people have an independent switch

Thanks for your help with this

There may be some confusion here with the way light PIR units operate.

When these units are set up the appropriate lux level (ie day light level to darkness level) is determined and the lux level adjuster is put into the correct position.
    Therefore between dawn and dusk or there abouts the lux level sensor will prevent the PIR illuminating the light automatically.

If a security light is coming on at 11am then either it has not been set up properly or it is faulty.

kub wrote: »
    There may be some confusion here with the way light PIR units operate.

When these units are set up the appropriate lux level (ie day light level to darkness level) is determined and the lux level adjuster is put into the correct position.
    Therefore between dawn and dusk or there abouts the lux level sensor will prevent the PIR illuminating the light automatically.

If a security light is coming on at 11am then either it has not been set up properly or it is faulty.
    Ok so a switch is not really needed really at all if you only want it to come on when someone approaches at night.

Ok so a switch is not really needed really at all if you only want it to come on when someone approaches at night.

no, a switch is not needed for a pir to come on at night.

but in your original post;
    Can a PIR light be made not to come on at some times i.e not to react to the presence of a person at all

you would need a switch to bypass the pir from working

no, a switch is not needed for a pir to come on at night.

but in your original post;

you would need a switch to bypass the pir from working
    What i meant was woiuld a switch be needed to stop it coming on during the day but I see from kub "between dawn and dusk or there abouts the lux level sensor will prevent the PIR illuminating the light automatically."

Is it using electricity all the time or only when it comes on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Is it using electricity all the time or only when it comes on?

I cannot be specific on that, probably similar consumption as a radio or similar on standby. Perhaps the guys over in the electric forum might be able to help you out with that.

Advertisement