Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling with 3 month old

Options
  • 30-08-2014 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi all,

We are travelling to Spain with our 3 month old next week. Travelling with Aer. Lingus, can anyone tell me what the carry on luggage is with them? Will I get my piece of carry on and then her baby bag as well?

Also, we have a Maclaren Quest Stroller, its only brand new and I'm nervous about it being broken (you hear so many stories) is there some sort of protective/waterproof bag available to put it into?

And finally, any tips? anything I should be bringing? She's breastfed so no need to worry about bottles, we have a travel cot booked, taxi with a car seat booked...anything else?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I've always found when travelling with kids keeping the hand luggage to a minimum is the best. I normally just bring a bag for the baby/child and throw in my purse, passport etc into that. It's handy to have spare baby clothes in a small plastic bag within the hand luggage so if you need it in a hurry it's easy to find and all kept together. Make sure to have plenty of nappies, wipes etc in the hand luggage.

With regards the buggy I just bought a normal luggage strap, a fairly thick one, and had it measured to the exact size that it would wrap twice around the buggy when folded. So once you fold it at the gate you can have it strapped up quickly and easily. I imagine most of the problems with buggies is that they might start to open and baggage handlers force them back closed. I've heard of people wrapping black sacks around the buggy but we didn't bother as once buggy a folded there's not much could happen it, plus I didn't want to be under pressure at the gate with a queue forming as you're wrapping etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I'm bringing my almost 1 yr old on holiday in October, and I'll be bringing a quinny zapp that I've just bought 2nd hand specifically for the trip. It folds in 2 parts, so I'll be bringing a blue ikea bag and putting it in that at the gate, and wrapping a couple of bungee cords around the whole thing! I'll be bringing the sling to carry him on board so my hands will be free to carry a decent sized nappy bag with all the essentials. My other half will be bringing a small wheeled case on board, so between us we'll have plenty of room for stuff we need to bring on board.

Does anyone know offhand what the rules are regarding baby's bottles on planes? I normally make up bottles of boiled water (7oz) and measure the formula scoops into a dispenser and mix them when I need them, will I be allowed carry that on or will I have to mix it beforehand (I vaguely remember something about having to open the bottle and taste it at security - yuck!)

Edit : seems aer lingus lets you bring a carry on piece and a baby bag as well as the buggy
    http://www.aerlingus.com/media/aerlinguscom/content/pdfs/EI_Cabin_Baggage_Policy.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

nikpmup wrote: »
    I'm bringing my almost 1 yr old on holiday in October, and I'll be bringing a quinny zapp that I've just bought 2nd hand specifically for the trip. It folds in 2 parts, so I'll be bringing a blue ikea bag and putting it in that at the gate, and wrapping a couple of bungee cords around the whole thing! I'll be bringing the sling to carry him on board so my hands will be free to carry a decent sized nappy bag with all the essentials. My other half will be bringing a small wheeled case on board, so between us we'll have plenty of room for stuff we need to bring on board.

Does anyone know offhand what the rules are regarding baby's bottles on planes? I normally make up bottles of boiled water (7oz) and measure the formula scoops into a dispenser and mix them when I need them, will I be allowed carry that on or will I have to mix it beforehand (I vaguely remember something about having to open the bottle and taste it at security - yuck!)

Edit : seems aer lingus lets you bring a carry on piece and a baby bag as well as the buggy
    http://www.aerlingus.com/media/aerlinguscom/content/pdfs/EI_Cabin_Baggage_Policy.pdf

I used to make up bottles the way you do but when travelling I just used to bring a small empty Thermos and ask one of the cafes or bars after security to 3/4 fill it with boiling water for me. I'd top it up with cold bottled water and use that for making my bottles as necessary. It worked for me and I was able to avoid tasting the milk at security (also my LO would have had heart failure if she'd seen me taste her bottle and then not give it to her!)

Xdancer wrote: »
    I used to make up bottles the way you do but when travelling I just used to bring a small empty Thermos and ask one of the cafes or bars after security to 3/4 fill it with boiling water for me. I'd top it up with cold bottled water and use that for making my bottles as necessary. It worked for me and I was able to avoid tasting the milk at security (also my LO would have had heart failure if she'd seen me taste her bottle and then not give it to her!)

Great idea! On the way out it won't be an issue as we're flying out at 2pm, he normally has a bottle at 7 and again at about half nine before his nap; and then he doesn't get another one until bedtime, but our return flight is 8pm - I'd like to be able to hold off giving him that one until we're on board in the hope he'll sleep! And yes, my lad would go doolally if he saw me drinking his bo bo and he didn't get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Great idea! On the way out it won't be an issue as we're flying out at 2pm, he normally has a bottle at 7 and again at about half nine before his nap; and then he doesn't get another one until bedtime, but our return flight is 8pm - I'd like to be able to hold off giving him that one until we're on board in the hope he'll sleep! And yes, my lad would go doolally if he saw me drinking his bo bo and he didn't get it!

You could bring a couple of sterilised bottles and the pre-made formula? That's what we did. It's so much easier. Then just pour the milk into bottles when needed.

Aerlingus let you take a buggy/stroller, your 10kg bag allowance, and a small handbag/nappy bag.

• Advertisement

Sligo1 wrote: »
    You could bring a couple of sterilised bottles and the pre-made formula? That's what we did. It's so much easier. Then just pour the milk into bottles when needed.

Aerlingus let you take a buggy/stroller, your 10kg bag allowance, and a small handbag/nappy bag.

Are you allowed bring a carton of ready made formula on board? It's 200ml, I thought the volume had to be 100ml or less? If you can that'd be much handier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Are you allowed bring a carton of ready made formula on board? It's 200ml, I thought the volume had to be 100ml or less? If you can that'd be much handier

Yep well that's what I did! They didn't make me taste it or anything. When we flew to heathrow the boots at the airport even sold it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Baby food and formula are exempt from the 100ml rules. As someone said sometimes they'd ask you to taste it but I've never had to, and I really doubt they'd ask you to open the sealed cartons.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

sillysocks wrote: »
    Baby food and formula are exempt from the 100ml rules. As someone said sometimes they'd ask you to taste it but I've never had to, and I really doubt they'd ask you to open the sealed cartons.

When my LO was 16 months and on normal cows milk I had to taste her milk going through security at Dublin airport. I nearly died.....cannot stand milk. I stopped drinking it at 3 years of age and have hated it since. It was as awful as I remember. That was about a year and a bit ago

lol - I don't mind cow's milk (as long as it's really cold) but even the smell of formula makes me gag. I don't know how my son gets so excited over it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement