Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC gamer top 100 PC games

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Number 1...... LOL

Considering its PC Number 1....... LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Is it me or has PC Gamer become a fairly s***e magazine/website? That seems like the sort of list made by people who only got into games around 5 years ago. Had to look to 20-29 for anything older than Bioshock 1! What happened to only having one game from a franchise? Mass Effect 2 and 3 in the top 10! Did they drag people off the street to pick the games out of a hat?

If you cut the top 20 off, its an alright list, but the likes of Planescape: Torment at 35!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Meh, opinion is a matter of taste, taste a matter of opinion. Don't take lists like this too seriously or too literally.

I agree with Gunmonkey though - PC Gamer has declined a bit recently. Now I just use it (and other gaming sites) for news and previews, and only buy games on feedback from friends, forums, YouTube "Let's Play" videos etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Even taking it as a list of 100 good games it's not a particularly well put together list.

You're right, Gunmonkey, PCGamer really has gone downhill in the last while. It was never anything special in the first place, but did have some good articles from time to time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They still do have some great articles, and i'd still check the site most days. They do some very good 'Lets play' type ones, and had a good one of Bioware companions a few days ago.

Crappy top 100 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Bf3 a shoddy console port above Battlefield Vietnam

PC top 100 me hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭racersedge

Lists like this are always subject to personal taste. Always reckon it's a bit of click-bait to lure you in. We all have our own opinions on what games were memorable and which ones left a bad taste the mouth. When you see a game in a position you think us not right, it leads you wanting to leave your opinion in it - be it good or bad.

Great way to generate website traffic and get people posting on forums about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The list isn't really surprising given the manner in which it was constructed. I'd wager if we did something similar here the results wouldn't be what we'd expect. Granted ME2 wouldn't be #1 but still....

As for the quality of the magazine itself, PC Zone was always better than PC Gamer. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As someone who still keeps an eye on the oul PC gaming (even though I haven't anything decent to play them on right now! :)) what are people using for news/reviews these days?

Side note: Is a 2GB AMD HD8730M paired to a Gen 4 i5 any good? Remember.. casual/older games (Civ 5, Supreme Commander, BF3.. that sorta thing)

Cheers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,912 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    As someone who still keeps an eye on the oul PC gaming (even though I haven't anything decent to play them on right now! :)) what are people using for news/reviews these days?

Side note: Is a 2GB AMD HD8730M paired to a Gen 4 i5 any good? Remember.. casual/older games (Civ 5, Supreme Commander, BF3.. that sorta thing)

Cheers

I generally keep an eye on Totalbiscuit's channel. Obviously, if you don't like the guy then this isn't an option.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Cheers

Mostly rev3games and totalbiscuit on YouTube.

I watch Gt trailers reviews too. Sometimes they put really nice reviews. Some of their shows are brilliant too, like Kyle Bosman show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Quill18 is worth following if you're a strategy/simulation fan.
    BohemianEagle is worth watching if you like vehicle combat games, he does WarThunder, World of Tanks, Elite:Dangerous etc.

RockPaperShotgun is definitely worth following. More blog style than news site in many ways but definitely a lot more interesting than the rest of the trash, avoid Kotaku, PC Gamer and their ilk. The comments are worth reading on the site too, somehow.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Is it me or has PC Gamer become a fairly s***e magazine/website?

It's been like this for a good number of years. It's been very hard in the gaming magazine market so there's been a lot of catering to the lowest common denominator and trend following. E.g. Dark Souls, an extremely niche game that had a bad, bad port but was heavily hyped, being in the top 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

nesf wrote: »
    It's been like this for a good number of years. It's been very hard in the gaming magazine market so there's been a lot of catering to the lowest common denominator and trend following. E.g. Dark Souls, an extremely niche game that had a bad, bad port but was heavily hyped, being in the top 10.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    While I loved dark souls and did play it on the PC, it was not without its problems. It was released over a year later compared to the PS3 and was a very poor port to go with that. I remember having to get some user fixes to get it to run correctly. Great game but does not belong in a PC top 10...
    Are we going to see GTA5 in next years?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Cheers

You can get way with modern games on medium settings at 768p (standard laptop resolution). Civ 5 etc you can go high I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Skyrim as #2? Hah.... and #1 way off also. I'd say the top 10 there though is pretty decent for a compilation though.

List feels very console-like though. I'd figure they'd celebrate the PC as a platform a little more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Oak76 wrote: »
    Meh, opinion is a matter of taste, taste a matter of opinion. Don't take lists like this too seriously or too literally.

I agree with Gunmonkey though - PC Gamer has declined a bit recently. Now I just use it (and other gaming sites) for news and previews, and only buy games on feedback from friends, forums, YouTube "Let's Play" videos etc.

You should never, ever, buy games based on previews. Wait for full reviews after the game is released.

Publishers will not let gaming journalists to get anywhere near the game if there is a risk of negative commentary.

Pick any preview in the magazine, any at all. Now carefully search for a directly negative comment. You won't find anything.

I got burned more than once by preview bull****tery, so now i don't read that section at all. X: Rebirth as a case in point.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    You should never, ever, buy games based on previews. Wait for full reviews after the game is released.

Publishers will not let gaming journalists to get anywhere near the game if there is a risk of negative commentary.

Pick any preview in the magazine, any at all. Now carefully search for a directly negative comment. You won't find anything.

I got burned more than once by preview bull****tery, so now i don't read that section at all. X: Rebirth as a case in point.

Not sure why you're quoting me while making this point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Delighted to see Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth get a mention. I still don't think it's been bettered as a horror game.

Delighted to see Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth get a mention. I still don't think it's been bettered as a horror game.

Great atmosphere. Would love to see a, sigh, redux/remastered version (minus some of the bugs).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

From the back of the issue the Top 100 was printed in:

7wQv6A.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

So even they knew that Top n lists are pointless, subjective, and never agreed upon :D

So even they knew that Top n lists are pointless, subjective, and never agreed upon :D

Personal ones are fine, the issue is with the games media trying to create definitive ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

That top 2 though.... even ME3 being in the top 10 is a bit strange. Pretty poor list if they wanted to showcase PC gaming imo !

Magill wrote: »
    That top 2 though.... even ME3 being in the top 10 is a bit strange. Pretty poor list if they wanted to showcase PC gaming imo !

I'm fairly convinced it was a troll. :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Lets just make a boards poll for 100 greatest PC games and see what comes up then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

To be fair, I can't imagine anyone working on a site or mag would go "Hey guys, know whats a great idea? A TOP 100 GAMES!"

Most likely it was someone in charge looking for some extra traffic on the site and some extra copies sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

To be fair, I can't imagine anyone working on a site or mag would go "Hey guys, know whats a great idea? A TOP 100 GAMES!"

Most likely it was someone in charge looking for some extra traffic on the site and some extra copies sold.

Or some free advertisement from the entire internet imploding at the thought that someone could possibly label Mass Effect 2 as the number one game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

O don't really play games much anymore but stumbled on this thread and took a peek expecting some nostalgia.

Nope. Apparently 14 of the best 20 PC games ever all came out in the last 4 years, 18 of top 20 in the last 7 years, with the other two being from 2000 and 2004.

Now I suavely don't agree with top movie/album/game lists because they tend to have a bit of a bias towards older titles on the whole in my opinion. But this is simply ridiculous (in the other direction).

Also, no Worms and only one Civilization game (not surprisingly given the rest of the article, the most recent).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Is it only me or is Me2 really easy?

Someone on here gave me a key a few years ago and i completed without playing 1 fairly easily. Cant see how an easy game like that could be considered the best PC game ever.

Skyrim or Arma 2 for me, mainly for what was added after by the players via mods.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't think difficulty should be a deciding factor when judging a game, unless its like Prince of Persia where it's literally impossible to die. All the Mass Effect games are very easy on normal settings, and pretty easy on hard once you put even a bit of effort into it. ME2 deserves to be up there for it's story, characters and gameplay imo.

Though i still loved the first more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭Sand

You should see newer games heavily represented in a top 100 like this. It is a case of the top 100 PC games, not the 100 nostalgic PC games. PC gaming is built on technology. Technology advances, allowing game developers to introduce audio/visual experiences and game-play that games 10 years ago could barely dream of. The bar gets raised, Devs learn from other games and improve on them or try something new. If anything, old games seem to be over-represented, especially in the top 10.

Half Life 2 came out in 2004 - if it was released today would it be hailed as the "greatest game evar!" Probably not - it would be going up against games like Alien:Isolation, The Forest, Evolve - even Far Cry 4. All looking better, and with more innovative game-play. People would be complaining about the crappy graphics, weird vehicle sequences and annoying physics puzzles. It's not to say that HL2 wasn't an important game, but it has been surpassed. That is not a bad thing - Devs have had ten years to do better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Sand wrote: »
    If anything, old games seem to be over-represented, especially in the top 10.
    It's not really that surprising on PC. Games that get a loyal following on modders can stay in use for years. The older games aren't as restricted as the newer games too which makes them a bit of an open platform for modders.

HL2 sucked you into it's world, same with the original. You wanted to keep going to see where it took you. I can't say that for a lot of games these days, I seem to get bored of games much easier these days, maybe it's just me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mass Effect 2 isn't even the best PC RPG let alone the best game on PC. Emperor's New Clothes syndrome going on there. It was just a standard Tolkien fantasy plot with a sci-fi reskin. Compare that to the likes of Fallout 2 and Planescape, it doesn't hold a candle to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

How is bad company 2 so far down the list. I still play this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement