Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dcu gym

• 30-08-2014 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi,
    Im a dcu student interested in joining a gym. Wondering if anyone has experience in this gym and would recommend it? Secondly, I am a beginner when it comes to the gym, so would really need to be able to meet with a trainer and develop a training programme, is this option available in dcu?
    Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

They don't do training sessions for students, but you could find an external trainer perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Laura says wrote: »
    Hi,
    Im a dcu student interested in joining a gym. Wondering if anyone has experience in this gym and would recommend it? Secondly, I am a beginner when it comes to the gym, so would really need to be able to meet with a trainer and develop a training programme, is this option available in dcu?
    Thanks,

Great gym, best one I've used.

They do advise you on a training program but it can be hard to get a trainer on your own for the first couple of weeks. They operate tours of the gym, I suggest getting onto one of them and try chat to the trainer afterwards.

They also run classes every day. These classes are small and easy to pick up. I would recomend trying one out! I started doing them in first year, and I was like yourself, had damn all gym experience. 4 years later they have been such a help. And while I do my own routines now, I still attend the classes on a regular basis

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Nordie Durdle

It is irritatingly packed a lot of the time but they announced on Facebook the other day that they have expanded it so it should be fine for the year ahead. Highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Conor9320

How much does it cost if you're a DCU student?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Conor9320 wrote: »
    How much does it cost if you're a DCU student?

195 euro!

• Advertisement

Or 250 for the full year.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tesco TripleChicken

Just saw this on DCUs facebook page https://www.facebook.com/196797333680059/photos/a.282770788416046.89556.196797333680059/987351841291267/?type=1&theater

Are all students allowed to use it or only the sports people?

Just saw this on DCUs facebook page
    Are all students allowed to use it or only the sports people?

I was in today for the first time in months, that huge room with the 12+ benches, lots of squat racks and tons of weights has been opened up to everyone. Which is shear awesome, its literally about 5 times the size of the old gym, was praying they'd do this.

But erm please don't sign up, we don't want it getting packed again :P

I was in today for the first time in months, that huge room with the 12+ benches, lots of squat racks and tons of weights has been opened up to everyone. Which is shear awesome, its literally about 5 times the size of the old gym, was praying they'd do this.

But erm please don't sign up, we don't want it getting packed again :P

I'll definitely be joining! Does it really get that packed though?

If you were doing weights and going to the gym at peak times it was crap - only one squat rack and a few benches - if you were following a program you'd find it very difficult to do everything that you want that day.

With this extension the amount of squat racks, benches and free weights has tripled so can't see it getting as packed again for a long time, highly recommend it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

It is still to packed at peak times. There should be a limit on the number of people they allow in. Don't want to go to the gym and spend half my time waiting around for equipment.

Raoul wrote: »
    It is still to packed at peak times. There should be a limit on the number of people they allow in. Don't want to go to the gym and spend half my time waiting around for equipment.

How packed does it be and when are peak times? Do you be waiting to use benches/weights?
    Does there be many there in the morning? Was thinking of starting to go at 6:30 when it opens.
    Also messaged them on FB asking if they do day passes or anything (just to see how many people do be in there) and they don't so now I don't know if I want to join or not because I don't know if I will like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Well you could always ask for a tour of the gym. I have never seen the gym at the time but my mate says that it is pretty much empty that early in the morning. Peak times seem to be from 6 until 9. Yes you have to wait to use benches. Loads of dumbells so usually grand with them if you are doing something free standing. Supersetting anything is the biggest pain in the arse ever. I may have to try and go in the mornings.

Advertisement