Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nutramigen 2

Options
  • 30-08-2014 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭

Anyone who had their bubs on the above formula, when, if you did, try to change to cows milk? N if you didn't, what did you try and introduce them to and when?

My lo is 13 months and I dunno if she should move on from nutramigen 2 yet. There's no really follow on formula for that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Hiya I have my 20 month old on nutramigen 2. I am waiting results of a blood test and pead allergy consultation to find out what to do as he has milk allergies (excema reflux breaks out, upset tummy etc) to see if I can wean him on cows milk. Until I have results from blood test I was told to use it as I would cows milk. I will make it up and give him cereal with that and give it to him in a beaker.

Not an exact answer to your question- just the route we are taking at the moment!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We used it until about 18 months.
    We never had formal allergy testing done but the root of our problem was obvious nearly immediately and it was a pretty bad allergy.
    We tried milk a few times from 12 months and it was a disaster and eventually at 2 1/2 she was able to tolerate it.
    We used Soy milk for cereal from 12 months.
    My 1st child could tolerate formula just about but could not deal with milk on any more then cereal until she was about 18 months.
    My last child is luckily only lactose intolerant or so it seems so hopefully by 12 months she can have milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

My youngest 2 have never been formally tested but cows milk brings the youngest out in an eczema rash on his legs arms and tummy. I use rice milk, its really light and a little sweet so if you are giving them cereal no need for added sugar.. also great for baking with and making hot chocolate (when they're older) It just means i can make dairy free cakes, biscuits, pancakes, bread etc.
    Soya yogurts and icecream are lovely alternatives too I use the 'swedish glace' dairy free icecream and the alpro soy yogurts (no bits)
    I wouldn't be determined to use or to get them used to cows milk, there's plenty of alternatives and tbh i prefer now that i know exactly what I'm giving them cake wise.. (no preservatives and artificial stuff).
    Follow on milk is really a gimic product to get around the advertising laws in this country, they can put the product out there without your permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭mapaca

Our daughter was allergic to cow's milk and was on Nutramigen till she was almost two. We were told that she would grow out of it gradually and to try her with goat's milk. (Luckily she could tolerate it, not everyone with cow's milk allergy can) I introduced it slowly, substituting one ounce at a time in her bottle. It was all trial and error, if she had any reaction I put her back on the Nutramigen. We sometimes gave her soya milk too. Eventually she was just having goat's milk all the time. It took ages, but she's grown out of it now thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cloudcuckoo

Google 'milk ladder'. Its based on the concept that the milk in baked goods is easier to tolerate. You start at the bottom of the ladder was malted milk/digestive biscuits and if they are tolerated you move onto the next step which contains more milk and so on until you've worked up to normal milk. Rice milk isn't recommended for under 4s (check the carton). I use oat milk on cereal/in cooking. Hth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 cloudcuckoo

www. ctajournal.com and search for milk ladder (sorry can't figure out how to link directly)

Advertisement