Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Shopping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sarkakos

All the people make cosnpumpts with lot of products in Christmas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

sales the week before Christmas

even if you have to go north

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I hate when someone close to you tells you they're thinking of buying something for themselves when you're thinking "Don't, I bought that for your Christmas present!"

My rule is "Don't buy anything for yourself so close to Christmas cos it might be a gift for you!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Alicat wrote: »
    Another present down. Got my Mum a puzzle, showing the Rockfellar Christmas tree. She loves Christmas and loves NYC so it'll go down a treat.

Thank god for my bro in London though. Postage to his address was free (from ebay) but £23 to get it delivered here! :eek:

Alicat have you heard of Parcel Motel? You can use that to avail of free UK delivery but still get it delivered to Ireland. You just order the parcel to their UK address and then they forward it to your chosen Parcel Motel for €3.95 per parcel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

fussyonion wrote: »
    I hate when someone close to you tells you they're thinking of buying something for themselves when you're thinking "Don't, I bought that for your Christmas present!"

My rule is "Don't buy anything for yourself so close to Christmas cos it might be a gift for you!"

Yep!

That's a real worry actually, will have to put a couple of people on advance notice to avoid buying ANYTHING for themselves before Christmas. I think a little over a month is a short enough peoriod to go without a spending spree :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

kitten_k wrote: »
    Alicat have you heard of Parcel Motel? You can use that to avail of free UK delivery but still get it delivered to Ireland. You just order the parcel to their UK address and then they forward it to your chosen Parcel Motel for €3.95 per parcel.

Yep, I sure have! I'll be going to see my bro in two weeks though so it's as handy to pick them up then and pay nothing extra :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

fussyonion wrote: »

Coming up to xmas, I always drop loads of hints about a few different things I want/need and then casually say 'but I'll wait til the January sales to buy'. So happy days, people have some idea what to get me and whatever I don't get, I'll pick up myself in the sales :)

Ah finally, got a decent chunk done.

Have my dad, brother and granduncle completely done.

Have mostly finished my mum and one grandmother.

The only one I haven't anything for yet is my other grandmother. Will get my mum finished I would say tomorrow. Then it's pop in to the local chemist (shop local & buy irish!) to finish my grandmothers. Then I am finito in time to wrap everything for the toy show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Was sitting here earlier with nothing to do and €300 in my bank account.

I went to a shopping centre on spur of the moment and basically finished my shopping!!!!
    Got perfumes, electric shaver, makeup, clothes, slippers, DVDs and CDs and I'm so chuffed with what I bought.
    Only have to pick up some more slippers and pyjamas and I'm done!

Going to wait to wrap them cos I like wrapping them nearer to Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ok so just back from town - headed in today around 12 and it's such a gorgeous day so made shopping so much easier with no wind and rain! It was crisp and cold so very Christmassy :-P I'm more or less sorted with Christmas presents now I think so just have to get one or two more small things and then my friends bday present (her bday is Christmas Day). Then must concentrate on myself for my Christmas party outfit!

• Advertisement

Done :) Got the last of the presents in the local chemist today. Can relax now and enjoy the run up to Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Nearly done! Just decided to do a big online shop from the Book Depository and Amazon earlier this evening after doing a shop earlier in town. Love early in the week shopping as it's quite relaxed even in the afternoon. Got a lovely black forest hot chocolate to get me further in the Christmassy mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I was doing great with my shopping but our washing machine just broke and I had to get a new back tyre for my bike so that's €500 gone out of my budget :(

Hoping to get back on track in the next 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭lashofeye

I always start in January . Have all my ds Christmas presents , outfit , Christmas box, you show treats and Christmas stocking things for 127€!!!! Added them up the other day nearly €300 worth of toys etc so delighted . Got most in the Argos clearance sale in July . Have 10 nieces nephews etc to buy fit but again sales sales sales!! And coupons too . Marks had a great sale in jam got some toys reduced from €20 to €2!!

Only 4 weeks to go ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Only mother and sister in law to sort! Well as long as the parcels arrived from all over the internet. Never been this organised!! Thrilled with myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It's great having so much done. I finished today. I'm going to double check everything tomorrow and maybe start some wrapping so that I know how much more wrapping paper I need to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

My OH who is NEVER home before 6pm arrived home at 430pm today just as I had his pressie dismantled for investigation on the sittingroom couch :eek: Queue a lot of screeching of 'DONT COME IN DONT COME IN!!!' I dunno whether he thought I was being attacked or trying to sneak someone out the back window or what :D:D Thankfully I managed to get it stuffed back in the bag before he came in. Only problem now is I'll have to find a really good hiding place for the next 4 weeks. Typical, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I have my best friend sorted, got a start on mam's, got a good start on my BFs, but he is back to not knowing what he wants, so I've just told him to buy things as he see's them and I'll give him the money for them.

I can't be doing with this thing of "I want this" "ok I don't know what I want actually" and back and forth, back and forth...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭letsgetloud

do people not get newborns presents ? is that a thing . Our little one was two weeks old her first christmas and she got presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

do people not get newborns presents ? is that a thing . Our little one was two weeks old her first christmas and she got presents.
    When my cousin's baby was a newborn (born the week before Xmas) she got gifts, but no Santa presents though, my cousin only started doing Santa presents when she turned one.

I know my cousin doesn't spend a huge amount on Santa gifts for either of her kids, she spends €50 max, sometimes less, depending on what they ask for. They can choose three things, and depending on the cost of those things she may get one, two or all of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This happens to me every year!

kd0t9u.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Managed to get loads done this weekend so I'm delighted.
    Ended up using money I was saving to buy clothes to buy presents for other people instead as the websites I wanted to use were down all weekend so that was probably a blessing in disguise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

All done!! Got my last few things today - town was mental!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

The only people I buy for is my other half and my grown up kids. No other family and no one buys for us. That is the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

I finished the last few bits last weekend. Was in town for an appointment today and it was absolutely crazy. Made me even more relieved that I was done and don't have to battle with crowds and queues anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 munwin

Finished mine about 2 weeks ago. Great to have it all out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Heading in tomorrow to try and get my friends bday present (bday Christmas day) and get something to wear to the work christmas party in 2 weeks time. Just need to get one or two more small bits for christmas gifts for mum and dad and also decorations for desk at work!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

I don't like Christmas shopping very much because I find it hard in what to get people on my list. Much of my family have emerigrated and the few here have decided to keep Christmas low key this year. However I do have people to buy for that I can't really strike off or do a no Christmas gift giving rule.
    I have my granny to buy for this Christmas, 4 couples, 2 kids and a teenager.

I popped into town today intending on buying a pack of Christmas cards and that's it. I had a budget fund totalled up and the plan was to start next weekend. I popped into town today for a pack of Christmas cards and that's it but I started browsing and popping in and out from shops. Well, oh my good god! I came across a few lovely bits while I was looking and I went ahead and bought and came home skipping with delight. I have my granny and two couples sorted. I might pop back into town tomorrow to sort out another couple. I have a littlewoods refund of 24 euro in my account so I'm going to browse around for a while now online and sort out a present for a kid or the teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Mines going pretty well so far! Have Dad and Boyf sorted, and I know what I'm getting for everyone else and plan to get them during the week! So hopefully, I'll be sorted soon!

I love buying presents for people, especially when you find something they'd really like! The excitement :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 munwin

Just remembered that I forgot someone, will have to go tomorrow again. Sh1t !!!!!

Advertisement