Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Shopping

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm heading into town today to get a good chunk of the shopping done. They are switching on the oconnell street lights today I'd say the crowds are gonna be mental. #prayforme

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I'm hoping to get my mam's finished off next week in Blanchardstown, and maybe get some more for my bf too if I see anything. Really want to get it all done and dusted ASAP.

I hate being this unorganised. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I was in town yesterday morning there was a nice vibe I love popping into the GPO to look at there decorations, I have the majority of present shopping done, I have presents and treats hidden all around the house, looking forward to getting the tree up next weekend and getting some wrapping done, going to chill for the day polar express on later

I've persuaded my bf that he could do with a new aftershave so he's going to me choose one for him, so I went onto www.boots.ie and anytime I try getting into the fragrances for men, I get a generic error page.

Since the day that website went live its had constant problems, they really need new tech people to fix it and run it properly. It really puts me off buying from them and several times I've ended up buying stuff on other websites because I couldn't be dealing with that site, its so frustrating at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've persuaded my bf that he could do with a new aftershave so he's going to me choose one for him, so I went onto www.boots.ie and anytime I try getting into the fragrances for men, I get a generic error page.

Since the day that website went live its had constant problems, they really need new tech people to fix it and run it properly. It really puts me off buying from them and several times I've ended up buying stuff on other websites because I couldn't be dealing with that site, its so frustrating at times.
    It's working fine for me.

• Advertisement

It's working fine for me.
    Is there any chance you could PM or post a link to the men's aftershaves please? I can't get onto that page at all :(

Sorry if this is OT. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

No problem, here it is.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Loughc wrote: »
    This happens to me every year!

kd0t9u.jpg

Hahahaha story of my life! OPI was having a sale this weekend and I bought a load of nail polishes for myself :o

I've ordered my boyfriend's present; my Mum is getting my Dad's present on my behalf and I'm paying her back because it's Irish and I don't want to be fighting the crowds on the 23rd/24th; I've also ordered a few bits for my nephew (who was born yesterday!! :)) I also know what I'm getting my Mum but haven't bought it yet, and for my boyfriend's parents. Still thinking about all the others, I'm a bit lacking in inspiration this year.

No problem, here it is.

Thank you so much. I don't know why it won't work for me when I try looking for it, but your link works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Striped, have you thought about popping into The Perfume Shop?
    I picked up 100ml of Hugo Boss Orange, reduced from €72 to 31 this week.
    They've got plenty of other bargains too and you can smell before you buy :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

There was something I was after for a Christmas gift for one of the kids on my list but I saw online on smyths and also argos (well, my local Argos anyways) that they didn't have what I was looking for. Smyths had a notice up informing me it will be available online from the 5th of Dec. I checked back on Argos just there and it is now there in my local store but I won't be free until Saturday.

Maddening.

My Mam reminded me of last year and the run up to Xmas that she remembers I was working a lot and only got one day off and I went into town in the pouring rain so sort out Christmas presents for all on my list.

I'd prefer to get my Christmas gifts buying all done by next weekend in case I get another crazy run up to Xmas at work. I'm getting there slowly. I was in town again yesterday and picked up a tin of biscuits to go with a present for another couple.

I fair idea what to get for the teenage girl on my list - maybe a bodyshop gift set.

I have one more couple to shop for and I have no idea what to get them. They are an elderly couple (well in their 60s). I think last year I gave them a set of christmas mugs and the year before a candle. I'm running out of ideas. I like poinsetta (spelling?) plants so I might go down that route in a few weeks.

I'm getting there slowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Not being funny In Lonesome Dove, but would you consider coal/briquettes or supermarket voucher for the elderly couple.? Or fur lined gloves, dunnes have some lovely bits like wallets etc at the minute.

I think candles are always great and I think the poinsettia is s great idea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm surprised that you think that 60's is elderly! :eek::pac: My parents are in their late 60's and I certainly don't think of them as elderly....maybe years ago that age bracket would have been considered elderly (and is, in the states eyes, once you reach 65), but not now I don't think!

Why would you get them coal/ briquettes Lisha? I'm genuinely curious! I'm not trying to be cheeky so hope you don't take it the wrong way!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

My friends mother in her 60 loves coal /briq as gifts . She has loads of clothes and prefers practical gifts. She says then she has a few extra € for luxeries that she can choose herself.

I would agree on 60s not really being old. My own mom is def not elderly at that age, my friends mom is 68 and tbh is elderly. So it's very individual .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lisha wrote: »
    My friends mother in her 60 loves coal /briq as gifts . She has loads of clothes and prefers practical gifts. She says then she has a few extra € for luxeries that she can choose herself.

I would agree on 60s not really being old. My own mom is def not elderly at that age, my friends mom is 68 and tbh is elderly. So it's very individual .

Totally agree, I guess that's what I was trying to get across, it depends on the individual 60 something (!), having said that though I can't imagine anyone wanting coal as a Christmas gift! ;) Each to their own though I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I have one present!

Wtf is wrong with me. I have two more nieces to buy for. Two brothers and their wives. My mother, my granda.

Two friends and their kids.

Ok im going to dublin tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭shuffle65

Haven't even started, oh dear!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I have one gift. It's not actually from me and it was only €7

I have to get it all done. Absolutely all of it, including buy a fake tree. The good thing is both myself and my husband will have loads of time off in the run up to Christmas so one Tuesday morning trip to newbridge might suffice.

Maybe

I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Saw today that Dealz has 3 for E1.49 on certain 3 metre wrapping paper.
    & Penneys has some 8 metres for E1.50 / E2.. let's say I'm stocked up for the next few years!!
    Got absolutely gorgeous "crystal-like" tree decorations (4 pack) in Tiger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Oh, and Dealz Santry has a few 6ft trees for... wait for it..... 15 euro!!! no displays though in store.

• Advertisement

I have my list ready for tomorrow.

But now I have started to think of all the things I need lol

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭xmasking

My list is ready and waiting to go, but I am going to get all of it online. Saves time.

has anyone done all their gift shopping yet?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

xmasking wrote: »
    My list is ready and waiting to go, but I am going to get all of it online. Saves time.

So what sites are you planning on using?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

For those of you a wee bit behind argos have half price Christmas trees at the moment. Hope to get mine this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

SMJSF wrote: »
    Saw today that Dealz has 3 for E1.49 on certain 3 metre wrapping paper.
    & Penneys has some 8 metres for E1.50 / E2.. let's say I'm stocked up for the next few years!!
    Got absolutely gorgeous "crystal-like" tree decorations (4 pack) in Tiger :)
    Thanks might try get to Tiger, I picked up jewel/crystal like tree decorations in Dealz, no tree up yet hope to get it up the weekend then the weekend of 13th heading to my mams for takeaway and put up her tree,

I am 99% done.

Just gotta buy 3 things on the disney store online and that is me done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

xmasking wrote: »

has anyone done all their gift shopping yet?

Yes I bought my last gift yesterday so I have nothing left to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Yeah, I'm done since last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

i have fcuk all done and feel like puking in my mouth when i think of it all :( the worst part is that i don't even know what to buy my daughter as extra gifts, shes quite difficult to buy for, shes ten and has everything so is asking for..... promarkers.. yeah, fcuking markers?! UGH!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭xmasking

I have all mine done. I buy everything in January each year as I can't wait until Christmas. Also, you get the good deals. I spend the real money at Christmas time on myself. Is that wrong?

Advertisement