Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Shopping

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

xmasking wrote: »
    I have all mine done. I buy everything in January each year as I can't wait until Christmas. Also, you get the good deals. I spend the real money at Christmas time on myself. Is that wrong?

Is this true? Because only a few posts ago you claimed...
    xmasking wrote: »
    My list is ready and waiting to go, but I am going to get all of it online. Saves time.

has anyone done all their gift shopping yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Blanch is postponed for a week :( Although going next week means I'll have extra money for Xmas shopping so with a bit of luck I will get it all finished off. Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Now i gotta buy for my friends two kids. Think I'll get them pjs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Loughc wrote: »
    Is this true? Because only a few posts ago you claimed...

Maybe it's her alter ego ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭lashofeye

We always get my parent a bundle of Coal/briquettes !!! its a handy present and they can use the money they would have spent on what ever else they would like :)
    Also yankee candles are big with my Mam this year so Im gona get her a few :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I'm super organised this year for a change. I've the three kids main gifts got and their clothes so just have stocking fillers to get. I've pj's got for my 8 nieces and nephews. Have to get the husband something and my kk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Local chemist had 20% off today. Obviously i went for a gawk!

Then remembered all the people we kinda have to buy for so got everything sorted. Have my niece and twin nephews to buy for at the weekend but we know what they're getting so it's ok.

i keep thinking I'm done then remember someone else :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Only seven people left to buy for. Woohoo!

I know seven is a lot, but out of twenty-six I think it's actually good going!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

I had my eye on something from the Smyths online and it told me availability online was from the 5th but it's been pushed back now to the 12th.

I went to Argos online and there was only one left. I reserved it last night but it will only be kept to this evening until closing time so I'll have to go back again this evening and try and reserve it again until I get into town tomorrow.
    So that will be one kid sort.
    I know what to get the other kid which I hope to pick up tomorrow too.
    I don't know know what to get the teenager or the couple left on my list.

Ideally I would like to get the Xmas gift shopping out of the way this weekend in case work dumps on my back which could be highly likely.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Does anyone else find 100 million things you want for yourself when you're Christmas shopping, but nothing you want to get for other people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

All the time! Seen some lovely stuff but didn't have the funds to buy them as had to get pressies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

Scarinae wrote: »
    Does anyone else find 100 million things you want for yourself when you're Christmas shopping, but nothing you want to get for other people?

Yes
    kitten_k wrote: »
    All the time! Seen some lovely stuff but didn't have the funds to buy them as had to get pressies.

+1 to this. I saw a few nice things but I don't have the funds to buy them because the money is going on Xmas presents. I saw a lovely hat and scarf set for 18 euro at the Christmas market in galway but can't go for it. I know 18 euro isn't much but the money is set aside for presents. I came across a nice Xmas decoration today for the house and stood in front of it for ages with my calculator on the phone thinking will I go for it or not. I did in the end. I also saw a nice candle holder for 15 euro and 25 euro for two. I'd love to get for the house but I think I might go back and get it for a gift and I'll see if I can haggle on two sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Didn't get to go present shopping the weekend, the weekend went by so quickly we got our tree up and some decorations, followed by watching deck the halls, it was a lovely weekend we had some help from family which was unexpected, it will certainly be a weekend to remember as it's our first Christmas in our new home, I am sure it's only the start of making memories like this,

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

I was done.... Mother in law just arrived with part of her list "that you would be better at picking than me".... Aggghh even more pressure to get these ones right!

So I got a call today to tell me that Blanchardstown is cancelled for this week :( I'm so disappointed.

Least I've gotten my boyfriends things already, have one of my mums, picking up the other this week. Not sure what else to get for her now as was planning on getting a few bits of clothing for her in Blanch.

Oh well!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

So I got a call today to tell me that Blanchardstown is cancelled for this week :( I'm so disappointed.

Least I've gotten my boyfriends things already, have one of my mums, picking up the other this week. Not sure what else to get for her now as was planning on getting a few bits of clothing for her in Blanch.

Oh well!!!
    Awh that's a pity is there no way around it? I would definitely recommend a fry up in Dunnes in Blanch, set you up for your days shopping

SarahLil wrote: »
    Awh that's a pity is there no way around it? I would definitely recommend a fry up in Dunnes in Blanch, set you up for your days shopping
    Unfortunately not. It's such a pity as I was looking forward to going to TK Maxx as well to hopefully get a cup and few bits for my granny for Xmas too. She has one cup from there and never stops talking about it so I wanted to get her another one. Oh well. :-(

I had soup in that Dinner before it was delicious. So so tasty .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

ok so i feel much better now, i have most of my daughters done, just have to get the phone. dad done, bro in law done, i know what i am getting mam and sister and niblings and boyfriend. just have to get them now! :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

ok so i feel much better now, i have most of my daughters done, just have to get the phone. dad done, bro in law done, i know what i am getting mam and sister and niblings and boyfriend. just have to get them now! :P

niblings

delicious! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

just bought this for chico http://ie.nextdirect.com/en/g67228s4 sure he'll be only gaaaawjus! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Tis officially Christmas in my house. I just bought the RTE Guide.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I'm more than half done, just 6 humans left to buy for, and 2 pets :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I'm on study leave from work so naturally got a big chunk done yesterday, and hopefully get the last few bits tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Im 20 and its my first year working so Im actually buying presents for people other than my parents for once haha. Im heading up to dublin with the girlfriend on thursday and hoping to get everything done, about 15 people. Other than wine/chocolates for the grandparents and SO'S parents Ive no idea what to get people so should be fun haha.
    While Im here though, My mams a bit of a hippy so anyone know any cool hippy shops in town with incense and all that jazz?

Im also a big fan of quantity over quality when it comes to xmas gifts so anybody know some good, cheap generic stocking fillers lol?

Best of luck everyone!

Almost done, got my mams main present, just have to get her vouchers now, but won't get them til next week.

Got my bf a jumper from penneys, hope it bloody fits him. So far I've only got him aftershave, two shirts, pair of trousers and a jumper. He is impossible to buy for, hence why I can never get him presents as a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

Did the main shop today & got my mam, dad, brother, god-daughter & my dog sorted. Just have to get my nana's now & i'm sorted on the pressies. Treated myself to a cute 2015 calender & diary also. Still have to do the Christmas goodie shop :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Sorry if this has been covered before but does anyone have recommendations for online shops that deliver to Dublin? We're in NZ and I usually send stuff but haven't got there this year.

Like Moonbeam I have four little ones and try to do the shopping throughout the year to spread the cost so that when December rolls around it's mostly food to buy. I like going to local markets bag getting handmade stuff as much as possible although this is getting harder for my 8yo boy. I got him a brainbox which is a simple circuit making toy.

My piece de resistance is a Samoan Fire Knife for my OH- he's going to be wrapped!

I've all my boyfriends things bought, thankfully :D All mam's done, just have to pick up her vouchers this week and that's that all done.

Need to get my granny's this week too and then I'm all finished :D

Started wrapping some last night but ran out of paper, so got more today and will finish wrapping them tomorrow provided I'm not too hungover as its my bf's Xmas party tonight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I was only majorly shopping for one person, and I thankfully did most of it in september/october. Glad I bought the frozen dolls so early, they're going for stupid prices now :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Carraig Donn has absolutely gorgeous things ON SALE at the moment! got a lovely gold with glitter stocking hanger from 12.00 to 6.50 for myself :-) and got a lovely candle holder, it's silver crackle effect with berry's and Holly (I think its painted on)... for E5!
    They've small ones for tea lights for 4.95, medium for E5 and large for I think E7. Got the medium one for an aunt :-)

Advertisement