Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs V Liverpool KO 13:30 SS1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Definitely convinced Gerrard is carrying an injury. Needs to be subbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

"Balotelli has brought a lot to this Liverpool team"

Am I the only one who has thought he's looked distinctly average today? I know he may not be fully fit but the hyperbole from the Sky commentators is a bit much no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Gerrard has been atrocious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Great first half 1-0 Liverpool. Manquillo doing well at right back. Spurs have had lots of possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Decent enough first half from Liverpool. Spurs chances coming from our mistakes.

Still think we'll win 2-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Playing way too loose at the back. Also Lovern and Sakho need to communicate.

Leading at halftime away to Spurs, I'll take that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

alberto has been v good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

That_Guy wrote: »

Am I the only one who has thought he's looked distinctly average today? I know he may not be fully fit but the hyperbole from the Sky commentators is a bit much no?

He's done okay.

Nothing spectacular but not done much wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'll take it, a few creaky showings and with that in mind Rodgers would do well just to stick with this back four regardless of who comes back to fitness. Balo has done everything other than score, if he keeps this up (big if) he'll be fine.

Sterling, Sturridge and Hendo the best on show so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Well that was entertaining anyway. Niall Quinn is on drugs. Balo should have had a goal though he's done well, not as well as Quinn would have you believe. Some good pressing by Liverpool and some dodgy defending again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Happy enough with that half.

There are a few things that could be complained about from a Liverpool pov, but being one up against a good Spurs team is no bad way to end a half of football.

Spurs have been good value to watch as well, and I imagine this has been a good game for the neutrals.

More of the same in the second half please, and runs outs for Can, and Markovic would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Kess73 wrote: »
    It was Lovern who left his man and went to the man being marked by Sakho.

Doesn't seem that Lovern has much confidence in Sakho?

Lack of communication between the two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Decent enough first half from us.

Mignolet/Lovern/Sakho are a concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I would lovevit if Liverpool kept a clean shheet, that back 5 really need a confidence boost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I'll take it, a few creaky showings and with that in mind Rodgers would do well just to stick with this back four regardless of who comes back to fitness. Balo has done everything other than score, if he keeps this up (big if) he'll be fine.

Sterling, Sturridge and Hendo the best on show so far.

Moreno, Manquillo and Allen been solid too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Would like to see Allen in the quarterback role in the second half if Gerrard goes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Commentators creaming themselves everytime Ballotelli gets the ball, I wouldn't mind but he's done fúck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Think he's done ok. No more or no less really. At the moment no one is erally standing out or indeed taking the game by the horns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Could very easily be level, both teams have missed some great chances though. Happy enough going in at the break.

Balotelli hasn't taken advantage of a few great opportunities but he's doing well outside of that and getting into the right positions. Liverpool far more like last season's side with the extra striker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Happy with mario so far he hasnt played competitively in 2 months so he's bound to be rusty. Getting plenty of chances we should be 3 up though.
    Moreno and Manquillo brilliant, that's the end of johnson.
    Lovren is trying to do everything he is jumping into players that are already marked which is creating big spaces for Spurs.
    Gerrard is dire take him off as bad as I have seen him play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Can see Spurs getting tired in the second half. We'll get a pen

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Commentators creaming themselves everytime Ballotelli gets the ball, I wouldn't mind but he's done fúck all.

He has helped out for the goal I think bu actually taking a defender or two away unlike in the first two games.

He has also been a target for set-pieces.

I agree he hasn't done much but his mere presence seems to be helping. You could argue Lambert starting might have had a similar effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Have Liverpool ever won an aerial duel when a ball is punted out from a keeper?

Yeah when reina played with us....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

He's giving Sturridge and Sterling a huge chance to be more effective.

On the other hand, Gerrard has been abysmal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Sky have been hyping him up for the past week, so to fit the narrative they have created they must say he's either been great or that the old Balotelli is back. He's been fine so they say he's been great.

noodler wrote: »
    He has helped out for the goal I think bu actually taking a defender or two away unlike in the first two games.

He has also been a target for set-pieces.

I agree he hasn't done much but his mere presence seems to be helping. You could argue Lambert starting might have had a similar effect.
    He's also missed two sitters and if anyone else would have missed them they would have been slated.

The Rodge creeps me out when he smiles..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Gerrard has been shockingly bad. Needs to be a bit part player now

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    The Rodge creeps me out when he smiles..

Is it the teeth? Is this better? :p

6166d9b0560aff5f79b1112ac90fce28.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Niall Quinn's probably saying a wee prayer at HT that Balo scores so he can heap the praise on him.

He's been average enough, getting into good positions but looks like he isn't match fit which is to be expected. I'd say he'll come off with 20 to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

He's also missed two sitters and if anyone else would have missed them they would have been slated.

Its his first game for us, give him a break.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Balotelli has done well apart from his attempts on goal, which is obviously one of his main functions. I'd say he won't last past 60 mins though, with one of Coutinho/Lambert/Markovic on for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Cracking game so far, some great football being played by both sides although Liverpool looking far more dangerous in the final third.
    It really could go either way in the second half, Spurs will be pushing forward a bit more in search of a goal leaving the space for Liverpool to do what they do best.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Decent enough first half from us.

Mignolet/Lovern/Sakho are a concern.

Give the CBs a chance to get used to playing together ffs, do people expect them to be n instant success. It's also sakhos first start of the season. Lovern has looked superb at times and just needs to get fully up to speed and used to playing with those around him.

As for Mig, well would be 1-1 without him.

• Advertisement

Super-Rush wrote: »

Given he is nearly a month behind the rest of the squad in terms of fitness, I think he is doing pretty well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

Gerrard adds nothing to the Liverpool team when his passing is off like it was for the first 45 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Balotelli has been very good in his general play. Gives Liverpool a physical presence that allows the likes of Sterling and Sturridge space.

He will get better as he gets more match fitness hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

dfx- wrote: »
    He's giving Sturridge and Sterling a huge chance to be more effective.

On the other hand, Gerrard has been abysmal.

Ballotelli should have had one goal but throughout the pitch is has been strong. Good cover on corners, holds the ball in midfield and does not go down easily. I agree with dfx, he has allowed sterling and sturridge to be more effective and concentrate on attack, stay further forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

He's doing all the right things bar finishing. Impressed enough with his performance thus far tbh, Spurs have tried to mince him a couple of times too and he hasn't reacted.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    Balotelli has done well apart from his attempts on goal, which is obviously one of his main functions. I'd say he won't last past 60 mins though, with one of Coutinho/Lambert/Markovic on for him.

Markovic please.

Would love to see his pace added to an already quick attack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Ive been very impressed with Balotelli. Match sharpness will come. Hes been strong, a threat in the air and on the ground. Should have had three goals at this stage though.

Gerrards passing/delivery has been shocking and Sakho/Lovren are looking like a bag of nerves at times. The two of them going for the one ball was ridiculous. I would blame Lovren there as Sakho was right on Adebayor, Lovren should have dropped behind.

Super-Rush wrote: »

First game or not he should be still putting those away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I thought Spurs were stronger in the centre midfield area in the first half.

Are we not allowed point out that Sakho and Lovren have made some terrible mistakes?

New CB partnership, transition etc not withstanding. You'd swear we were saying they should be sold with some of the reactions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Gerrard gas been muck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Love seeing Balotelli trying to close down on players, never seen him do that at Man City. Can and Markovic should be brought on later to spice up midfield even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Kess73 wrote: »
    Markovic please.

Would love to see his pace added to an already quick attack

I agree with that. Looked very good before the game got broken up through injury last Monday.

Peno!!!!

Bit of a dive tbh.

Penaltypool are back!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement