Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20:32 30th August

Options
  • 31-08-2014 6:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I was walking eastwards towards the Pigeon House lighthouse yesterday evening, still quite bright. Looked up and see a bright white light shoot overhead, faster than an aircraft and kind of like a fire work but it's not shooting up, more over and then it burns out and it's gone.
    Did anybody else notice it and what could it have been?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

I saw something last night, but I think it was later, maybe after 10:30, and what I saw was a largish orange blob.

I thought it was a plane at first glance, but the orange light was constant, not flashing. And it was in a part of the sky I wouldn't normally see a plane.

The movement wasn't smooth like a plane would be either, seemed like it was a bit bumpy, the movement. And it wasn't fast and brief, like a meteor would be.

Disappeared behind a line of houses, so I only saw it for a second or 2.

It was moving west to east, was quite low, and the angle I saw it moving at was very shallow. South Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

macwal wrote: »
    I saw something last night, but I think it was later, maybe after 10:30, and what I saw was a largish orange blob.

I thought it was a plane at first glance, but the orange light was constant, not flashing. And it was in a part of the sky I wouldn't normally see a plane.

The movement wasn't smooth like a plane would be either, seemed like it was a bit bumpy, the movement. And it wasn't fast and brief, like a meteor would be.

Disappeared behind a line of houses, so I only saw it for a second or 2.

It was moving west to east, was quite low, and the angle I saw it moving at was very shallow. South Dublin area.

More than likely it was a Chinese Lateran.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

MiloDublin wrote: »
    I was walking eastwards towards the Pigeon House lighthouse yesterday evening, still quite bright. Looked up and see a bright white light shoot overhead, faster than an aircraft and kind of like a fire work but it's not shooting up, more over and then it burns out and it's gone.
    Did anybody else notice it and what could it have been?

Most likely a decently bright meteor. Haven't heard of any fireballs (brighter than -4 mag - same brightness as Venus) but your description is stereotypical of a bright meteor.

Advertisement