Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lubing derailleurs ?

• 31-08-2014 10:39am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

I've just degreased and cleaned the derailleurs

Do they need much lube after it?

Is it just the 2 pulleys at back a few the pivot points ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

Think so, lube and then obviously run the chain while working all the way up and down the gears to open n close the mech of the derailleur and the lube works it's way in where needed. Wipe any excess with cloth etc.
    some more experienced may give better advice but that what I do, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

After cleaning as much muck and crud off the derailleur if there is any present, I try to get the lubricant into all 8 of the parallelogram pivot points, the centres of the jockey wheels and the pivot point at the frame hangar. Pretty much all points that have relative movement. Then I'll move all of the points as much as I can, allowing the lubricant to work into the gaps. After a few manipulations, I'll wipe off all the remaining lubricant from the exterior and that's it, job done.

I'll always give a drop or two of lubricant to the jockey wheel centres when lubing the chain, enough to get into those bearings but not enough to hold road grime in the bearing gaps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

Popoutman wrote: »
    After cleaning as much muck and crud off the derailleur if there is any present, I try to get the lubricant into all 8 of the parallelogram pivot points, the centres of the jockey wheels and the pivot point at the frame hangar. Pretty much all points that have relative movement. Then I'll move all of the points as much as I can, allowing the lubricant to work into the gaps. After a few manipulations, I'll wipe off all the remaining lubricant from the exterior and that's it, job done.

I'll always give a drop or two of lubricant to the jockey wheel centres when lubing the chain, enough to get into those bearings but not enough to hold road grime in the bearing gaps.

Frckin thing is slower after the overhaul

Or maybe the legs are gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Sorry to hijack thread but similiar question. I gave my bike a complete clean and degrease over the weekend especially after the SKT

One the bike was dry and Before lubing the chain I noticed some orange spots on the chain, I didnt take a photo unfortunately. They dissappeared once I lubed the chain.

Should I be concerned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭unichall

bazermc wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack thread but similiar question. I gave my bike a complete clean and degrease over the weekend especially after the SKT

One the bike was dry and Before lubing the chain I noticed some orange spots on the chain, I didnt take a photo unfortunately. They dissappeared once I lubed the chain.

Should I be concerned?

You should get a new bike, any old excuse, better safe than sorry and all that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement