Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Threads on crank messed up

• 31-08-2014 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭

Hi. I seem to have made a mess of the threads on my left side crank arm on my specialized hybrid bike, I had cause to take pedals off and on a few times, I think the left pedal came loose, and in doing so, wore the threads a little, and when I put it back on I was not able to get it back on on thread. I know, I'm a muppet.

So anyhow, it has FC-T303-T300s written on it. A quick search on eBay leads me to a pretty pricey replacement, $40 plus postage.

Can anyone point me to somewhere I could buy a spuriuos pair so I can replace both, and not worry about matching? Even if I knew what I was looking for....are these definitely 170mm, or does it matter?

Finally, I tried to remove the bad crank. I used an allen key to unscrew the bolt I assumed would be responsible for holding the crank in place but having done so the crank arm is still holding fast. See pic attached with the removed bolt sitting on top.2014-08-29 09.06.13.jpg I can't see what else might be responsible for it still being held fast. Am I missing something? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Most bike shops would be able to sell you a 170 square taper left crank eg:- http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/page/find/?currency=eur&name=left%20crank%20arm&page=1#filterkey=brand&brand=SHIMANO&page=1&page=1

To remove your current one you "should" use a crank extraction tool ( http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/x-tools-crank-extractor/rp-prod10181 ) this would leave the crank undamaged for replacement the alternative is to hit it hard until it falls off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Think it might be worth letting a bike shop see if they can rethread the crank with a retappping tool. I've saved quite a few alloy cranks like this.
    L and R have differing taps(tool) and I've found retapping thread from inside to out can be easier and better results.

If you're not particular, I'd say above poster is correct- Local bike shop should have plenty of spare L side square taper cranks of correct length available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Anyone know/recommend an LBS in the Dundrum general area? I want to ring around first to see if they have a retapping tool.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Anyone know/recommend an LBS in the Dundrum general area? I want to ring around first to see if they have a retapping tool.

Thanks.

Can't comment on any of them but there is:

Harry's Bikes in Clonskeagh
    Joe Daly which is under the Dundrum luas bridge
    Cycle Surgery in the Dundrum Shopping Centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks Kinet1c, I had seen those ones on google but wondered if anyone could recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Germancarfan

I've used Joe Daly's before and find them sound for all levels of sales and work. Can't say the same for Harry's personaly

Advertisement